Start by marking “Liesl and Po” as Want to Read:
Liesl and Po

Liesl and Po

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  8,790 Ratings  ·  1,632 Reviews
On the third night after the day her father died, Liesl meets Po, a ghost. Liesl lives in a tiny attic bedroom, locked away by her cruel stepmother. Her only friends are the shadows and the mice. Both Liesl and Po are lonely, but together they are less alone.
Published October 4th 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Liesl and Po, please sign up.
Willow Yes, definitely. I believe I read it when I was 10 or so.
Miriam Robarts I believe it is a fictitious location.

Liesl's address is 31 Highland Avenue, Dirge.

I don't think it mentions what country, but I would guess on the…more
I believe it is a fictitious location.

Liesl's address is 31 Highland Avenue, Dirge.

I don't think it mentions what country, but I would guess on the Northeastern coast of the US.

At first, I was thinking somewhere in the United States, or in England, but details from the book--along with the fact that the author was born in New York, New York--make me think it is more likely set in America.

The book mentions that the sea lies to the East and the South. Mo, the guard, is made fun of by his coworkers for preferring hot chocolate over coffee. Mr. Gray also uses an empty coffee container. If it were England, I would think it would mention tea. (I'm sure coffee is popular there now, but the book mentions using oil lamps and lanterns, as well as traveling by train and vehicles drawn by horses and donkeys--so it is not contemporary.)(less)

Wendy Darling
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of children's classics, Harry Potter, and Catherynne M. Valente
Every once in awhile, a children's book comes along that whisks you away to another world--and if you're very lucky, at the end of the story, it's one that also illuminates your own. Liesl & Po extends a delightful invitation to wizardry and adventure, but it’s also a gentle and poignant rumination on love and loss.

Liesl has been locked away in her stepmother’s attic for a very long time, ever since her beloved father got sick. One night, a pensive ghost named Po appears in her room and lift
Giselle
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly magical story! Liesl & Po will open your heart and make you reminisce on your childhood days when you believed in magic and when anything was possible.

The first thing I noticed and fell in love with in this book was the wonderful illustrations inside it's pages:

Also, I was pleasantly surprised by what I found under the dust jacket:

These added greatly to the imagination and increased the charm of the story immensely. I loved the way the characters were defined in the images. They were
Nataliya
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nataliya by: Jim
It's a lovely and touching children's book so lovingly described by Jim.

But alas, I think I'm a bit too old and cynical for it to affect me the way I hoped it would. Which is my fault, not the book's, really.
"On the third night after the day her father died, Liesl saw the ghost."
This is the story of an 11-year-old Liesl, an orphan, who has been locked up in the attic by her evil stepmother (by the way, why are all fairy-tale stepmothers uniformly evil and ugly?). She meets Po, a ghost, an "it"
Emily May

I originally gave this 4 stars but changed it after I did some thinking. I definitely wanted this book to be at least 4 stars and even convinced myself at certain points that it was far better than I actually found it to be.

I have nothing against children's books - and I do actually mean children's, not young adult - I think they can be just as powerful and moving as any adult novel, if not more so. There are all kinds of factors that can make these younger novels so appealing: interesting char
Cait
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you don't have this on your to read list, put in not there right now.

Ahem. Come around, everyone, and join me and my cat in this amazing review of a truly amazing book.

[image error]
Such a peaceful scene........my cat and me.

I know that I don't write many five-star reviews, or even give out many five-star ratings in general, which I why I waited a solid day to let my feelings germinate about whether or not that this book truly deserved such high praise from me.

And I can honestly one-hunde
Catie
I read Delirium and it really wasn't for me. I didn't like the premise, the romance, the characters, the story or the writing style. So understandably, I've been avoiding Lauren Oliver's books ever since.

But then there's this one: middle grade fantasy + magic + ghosts + illustrated novel + everyone's raving about it + some sort of talking pet (?? I hear) = sounds like Catie candy.

And yet, I was hesitant. UNTIL...Jim challenged me to read this IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE. Just how much does overall wr
Lyndz
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
If I had to choose one word to describe Liesl and Po, that word would be “ADORABLE”. If I could choose two words, they would be “ineffably adorable”.

I sincerely wish that I would have chosen to read this before I read Delirium. I honestly think I could have enjoyed the writing style in Delirium more had I known what Oliver was capable of.

Somehow Ms. Oliver has managed to capture a special magic, while not the same as “Potter” magic, it is still quite addicting and mesmerizing. I have heard a co
Jim
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
Recommended to Jim by: Wendy Darling
This was my first read of a Lauren Oliver book. It was obvious after the first few pages that it was extremely well written, and that there was a special - one might say ineffable - quality about the writing.

All of the great books have a special quality in their prose. But there was something about this one that just radiated warmth. The phrases and pages had a symphonic quality as they wound around my head - a sort of perfection of timing and tone, of musical phrases moving separately and then
Steph Sinclair
Coincidences; mix-ups; harmless mistakes and switches. And so a story is born.

I usually do not read children's books, but when my good friend, Wendy, told me about it, I knew I couldn't resist. And I'm so glad I didn't. This book has that unputdownable quality to it. Lauren Oliver, this is the kind of magic that I fell in love with when I read Before I Fall.

Liesl is a young girl locked in an attic by her evil stepmother. It has been almost a year since she left the attic, let alone stepped o
Jo
“Coincidences; mix-ups; harmless mistakes and switches. And so a story is born.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Loved the story, loved the characters but I wasn’t a fan of the style.

High Points.
Liesl. Po. Bundle. Will. Magic. The Other Side. The Living Side. Hats. Big ears. Trains. Alchemy. Attics. Accidents. Sketches. Illustrations. Ineffable.

Low Points.
This I the first book written by Ms Oliver that I’ve read and, I have to admit, that I was warned against her.
Notnotnot because Ms Oliver is a
Ronyell
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Supernatural Children's Literature!
Recommended to Ronyell by: Brenda
“A Tale about a mix-up that changes several characters’ lives forever!”

LieslWill

For many years now, I have been reading the “Harry Potter” series by J.K. Rowling and I really enjoyed every single one of them! Now, I have found this quite unusual book (thanks to my friends!) called “Liesl and Po” by Lauren Oliver along with illustrations by Kei Acedera and boy, was it an enjoyable ride that I would not mind reading about again!

The story starts off with a young orphaned girl named Liesl being able to see
Shannon
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fairy tales and children's stories with deeper meanings
Recommended to Shannon by: Wendy Darling
This is a lovely book recommended to me by Wendy Darling - go read her review for a much more in depth look into this book. I had never read Lauren Oliver's work before, but now I definitely want to seek her other books out. The story is one that reminds me a great deal of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, a book that I also enjoyed immensely, so if you liked Liesl and Po and want something similar to read I urge you to check out Valente's book.

Before I got to t
Richard Denney
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-favorites
5 STARS!!

description

Now that was entertaining!

It is easily one of the BEST books I’ve ever read and has now become one of my favorites of all time!

This was such a cozy and magical read. I wish I had read it in the fall or winter. It would’ve fit perfectly with either of those seasons.

The first thing I have to mention is that this is a pretty damn dark book and grotesque at some points and I loved every ounce of it. I tell you, I’m sick in the head haha I love my dark middle grade reads. Not only was this
K.
I must surrender my breath as it is threatening to choke me with all that this book put me through. Lauren Oliver's Liesl and Po is a beautiful, painfully moving declaration of love, loss, yearning, despair and discovery.

It is about a sad and lonely but hopeful and pretty little girl called Liesl who, with the help of her ghost friends boy-or-girl-but-most-likely-boy, Po and cat-or-dog-but-most-likely-dog, Bundle and young-but-poor-and-recently-homeless-former-apprentice, Will, sets out to lay
Conor McHugh
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: honour-shelf
Oh I wish this could have been a book I had read as a child.
Brilliant, magical and inspiring.

Lauren Oliver is one of the only authors in which I truly love each and every one of her books. (Alongside J.K Rowling). Delirium, the first book I read by her, was brilliant. Before I fall, the second, amazing. Liesl and Po, no different.
I can imagine this story being purchased by Disney, or Pixar, at any moment.

The book itself (the hardcover version) Is also the most beautiful book I have on my bookshe
First Second Books
I loved how much food was in this story!

(This book is in no way a story about food. It's a story about being orphaned and magic accidentally taking over the world and attempted murder and all sorts of other exciting terribleness.)

And yet -- it's a story about soup and hot chocolate and potatoes and everyones' lives are all surrounded by deliciousness.
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
From the moment you read the authors introduction which explains what inspired her to write this book - you find that the book is more than just another story, another project. It's a very big part of the author - it represents the passing of a best friend - it's personal. As the author mentions. LIESL & PO is the most personal book she has ever written. You flip to the first page with your eyes a little more wide open, aware, and even a little heavy hearted. Yet the world you discover bene ...more
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Really lovely to read a middle grade book by Lauren Oliver, the author's note at the end did a lot to enhance the story. With a great mix of characters and themes, I'm pleased my local library had this to offer!
Kayla Rayne
“If you do not believe that hearts can bloom suddenly bigger, and that love can open like a flower out of even the hardest places, then I am afraid that for you the road will be long and brown and barren, and you will have trouble finding the light. But if you do believe, then you already know all about magic.”

This is a magical middle grade novel featuring multiple points of view. There are three main characters of importance, but we see some scenes through the view point of others. Though a go
Paige
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so. cute.

I recieved an ARC from a teen library group that I'm on. :D

So, first things first: I have wanted an ARC forever. I have always dreamed of it, wanted to see the typos and unfinished artwork, wanted to be one of those people who gets to see the story first. And finally, I got one.

I'd hoped that it would be amazing. But I promised myself, even if the story stunk, I would still keep it on my bookshelf. It would be an ARC, mine, something to be proud of. The truth is that I had nothing to w
Jay G
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

After the death of her father, Liesl has been locked into the attic of her house by her step-mother Augusta. One night a young ghost named Po and his animal companion, Bundle, appear in her room from The Other Side. A young boy named Will is working as an apprentice for a powerful Alchemist and is told to deliver the most powerful magic in the world to The Lady Premiere that same night.
Marika
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was immediately captivated by the cover of Liesl and Po. This was a magical book, a new fairy tale, a story with both great darkness and wondrous possibility. And then I started reading...and Oliver's text was exactly what the cover promised.

The story begins in a world without sunshine. Liesl is locked in the attic by her stepmother and her father is recently deceased. Po and Bundle are dark ghosts who are attracted to Liesl's drawings and Will is an orphaned alchemist's apprentice who is attr
Shannon O'Donnell
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I was in love with this book by the time I finished reading Lauren's note to readers at the very beginning. That's right--BEFORE I had even read page one! I struggled with the endings of both Before I Fall and Delirium (although I LOVED Delirium) but this book is a whole different flavor.

Liesl is so utterly loveable; I adore her. And Po is . . . wow. And Will? I love him. My heart ached for him at first. The characters in this story feel like they could just walk off the page and into your heart
Seplucid
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Dan sungguh, inilah inti dari segalanya, karena jika kau tak percaya bahwa hati bisa mengembang secara tiba-tiba, dan cinta bisa merekah layaknya bunga bahkan di tempat yang paling keras, aku takut kau akan mendapati jalan yang panjang, gersang, dan tandus, dan kau akan kesulitan menemukan cahaya.
Tapi jika kau percaya, berarti kau telah memahami segalanya tentang sihir." (hal.315)

Aku sumpah ga berlebihan. Cerita sederhana ini layak mendapat nilai sempurna. Dongeng mengharukan pembangun jiwa. Ju
Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit)
Ahhh I am so charmed by Liesl and Po!

I was first delighted by the fairy tale storytelling of Plain Kate by Erin Bow, which I found excellent; Liesl and Po is a book worthy of the same praises.

Liesl, Po, and Bundle are a quirky trio who are on an adventure together. Pair that with alternating chapters where we meet Will, and you'll be reading long into the night with a huge smile on your face.

This is a perfect read-aloud for a classroom or family, particularly because of its middle grade classifi
Jessica
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, fantasy
This ia a very charming book, though a total departure from BEFORE I FALL (which I also loved). In this old-fashioned tale of orphans, ghosts, and runaway apprentices, a little girl and her new friends go on a strange adventure which is by turns humorous, tense, and poignant. Such a good book! And it's illustrated, too. I read the Advanced Readers' Copy, so the art wasn't final, but it still looked fun, and I can't wait to get a real copy!
April
I’m convinced that as an author Lauren Oliver can do no wrong. No matter the genre, she is a powerful storyteller. Liesl And Po, a story Oliver says is very close to her heart, is Oliver’s middle grade debut. It is a magical read in which ghosts play a prominent role and titular character Liesl must go on a journey and set her father’s ashes to rights.

Read the rest of my review here
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
Lauren Oliver did a really great job in her second book. It just spells A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

Plot Summary:
Liesl is just an ordinary girl that was locked by her stepmother to the attic. She was alone and lonely, with no friends to talk with. After her father’s death; Po, a ghost from the ‘Other Side’ with its pet, Bundle visited her. Liesl and Po found happiness and comfort with each other for they were like the other- alone, lonely with no friends.
Will is an alchemist’s apprentice that always goes
Michelle
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is still a child at heart
Recommended to Michelle by: Wendy Darling
As Wendy Darling said best in her review of this gorgeous book; a good children's book will not only entertain you, but illuminate your life. It was Wendy's review which made me decide to read Liesl and Po and I am so glad I did.

Liesl and Po is the story of a girl and a ghost. Well, at first it appears to be; however, it is so much more. This is not just Liesl’s story. It reminds me a little of a TV drama; all the characters are imperative to the show, but there is one that holds them all toget
Micheline
Words can not describe how utterly heart-warming, how completely enchanted and how truly ineffably happy Liesl & Po made me feel. Out of all the children's fairytales I have read in my youth and my adulthood, this modern tale really was an absolute joy to read. The prose is breathtakingly beautiful and absolutely delightful. The characters are exceedingly loveable; instant classics. The story itself is simple enough, though layered with deep and rich lessons about love and loss. I am truly e ...more
All the Books!: This topic has been closed to new comments. Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver → Start Date: November 21st, 2016 13 6 Dec 01, 2016 09:27PM
All About YA : Liesl & Po 5 16 Oct 06, 2014 12:31PM
Wild Things: YA G...: May 2013 Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver 6 22 May 25, 2013 02:16PM
  • Breadcrumbs
  • The Mostly True Story of Jack
  • Cold Cereal (The Cold Cereal Saga, #1)
  • Juniper Berry
  • Bigger than a Bread Box
  • The Aviary
  • Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes (Peter Nimble, #1)
  • The Year of Shadows
  • The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy
  • The Kneebone Boy
  • Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower, #1)
  • Splendors and Glooms
  • The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale
  • Kat, Incorrigible (Kat, Incorrigible, #1)
  • Gustav Gloom and the People Taker (Gustav Gloom, #1)
  • The Friendship Doll
  • Down the Mysterly River
  • Summer and Bird
Lauren Oliver is the cofounder of media and content development company Glasstown Entertainment, where she serves as the president of production. She is also the New York Times bestselling author of the YA novels Replica, Vanishing Girls, Panic, and the Delirium trilogy: Delirium, Pandemonium, and Requiem, which have been translated into more than thirty languages. The film rights to both Replica ...more
More about Lauren Oliver

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“She liked the word ineffable because it meant a feeling so big or vast that it could not be expressed in words.

And yet, because it could not be expressed in words, people had invented a word to express it, and that made Liesl feel hopeful, somehow.”
133 likes
“(I)f you do not believe that hearts can bloom suddenly bigger, and that love can open like a flower out of even the hardest places, then I am afraid that for you the road will be long and brown and barren, and you will have trouble finding the light.
But if you do believe, then you already know all about magic.”
106 likes