Start by marking “The Dragons of Chiril (Valley of the Dragons, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dragons of Chiril (Valley of the Dragons, #1)

The Dragons of Chiril (Valley of the Dragons #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,528 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Tipper has been caring for her family’s estate for years now, ever since her father disappeared, making a living by selling off his famous artwork. Then she learns that three statues she sold were carved from an ancient foundation stone, and the fabric of her reality is crumbling.

She must free her father and save the world.
But she can’t do it alone.

Her ragtag band of adven
Published June 21st 2011 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about The Dragons of Chiril, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragons of Chiril

Sarah Joy
Oct 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
Not nearly as good as Dragonspell or DragonQuest. I had to drag myself through the beginning chapters. The prose was awkward and didn't flow well, so much so that I was continually pulled away from the story. I'm glad I stuck with the book though, as it improved dramatically towards the end. And I will confess that I squealed like a seven year old when I first heard Fenworth say "Tut tut, oh dear". :) The twist with Jayrus was suprising, but acceptable.
Jill Williamson
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tipper, a young emerlindian woman, has been scrounging to take care of her family estate since her father went missing. Since he father was a renowned sculptor, Tipper had no choice but to sell off his work to pay the bills. But her father returns suddenly, then vanishes again. Then he reappears, then vanishes, then reappears. It seems that Tipper’s father is being affected by a portal between two sides of the world. Long ago, he had crafted three sculptures out of a special chunk of stone that ...more
Cheryl Olson
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
This was my first adventure reading Donita K Paul with her Christian Fantasy Book The Dragons of Chiril: A Novel and I doubt it will be my last. This book was chock full of great characters, interesting storylines and adventurous settings to keep the imagination of the reader stirred for sure. I think readers of all ages would really enjoy this fantasy tale.

Our main character Tipper is a girl whose father has disappeared unexplained many years ago. Her mother Lady Peg Schope is seemingly menta
Child_of_Aslan
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes Fenworth definitely gets it right, despite his contrariness and odd ways. ;)

“Young man, you have listened to Librettowit for too long. Problems are not problems before they occur. After a problem has sprouted, it is indeed proper and prudent to address the problem. But to attend to a problem before it has manifested as a problem is foolhardy. Kindly refrain from attempting to present problems that are, at the moment, nonexistent.”

Ever stop and think about why you're worrying about some
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tipper is a young emerlindian who’s responsible for the upkeep of her family’s estate during her sculptor father’s absence. Tipper soon discovers that her actions have unbalanced the whole foundation of her world, and she must act quickly to undo the calamitous threat. But how can she save her father and her world on her own?

The task is too huge for one person, so she gathers the help of some unlikely companions--including the nearly five-foot tall parrot Beccaroon--and eventually witnesses the
Amydeanne
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The witty banter just tickles me. I mean I can vividly picture these conversations going on.

You still have to have your own imagination going on with the dragons flying over head and the wizards about, but really this is a fun and enjoyable book for all. You feel like you know the characters intimately and you’ll be looking forward to reading the next book!

Paul offers something that I haven’t found in a lot of fantasy books. She captures the genre with a fresh and delightful take. I literally c
Brenda
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Donita K. Paul is one of my very favorite authors. The Vanishing Sculptor takes us back into the world we first discovered in the Dragonkeeper series. I loved being back. This book wasn't particularly fast paced until the end, but I really enjoyed it. I read it slowly because I didn't want it to be over. I really hope this is the start of a new series.
Sky Destrian
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Period. While it was way different than the Dragon Keeper Chronicles, Donita K. Paul's first fantasy series, I found it easy to relate to the characters and slip back into the new yet familiar world that she recreated in this book. If you are a fantasy fan, I'd definitely recommend this for you.
Madeline Rose
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Madeline by: Annika
To put it simply, this made me think LotR mixed with Inkheart.
This was sooo good!
Very descriptive and interesting.
Sometimes it was hard to push through, it was slow at times, but
that last chapter... I wanted the whole book to be like that! Wow!
I'm interested in reading the next two books.
3.5/5
Barb
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the pace of the plot a bit slow. While the world was okay, there are a lot of made up words that only distracted me from the story.
M. Kat
Fred Warren
Mar 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Candace Cisman
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-borrowed
Ms Paul always writes a captivating book and this is no exception.
Teela
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it

The story begins with a young woman named Tipper. She is managing her household in the absence of her father, Verrin Schope, who disappeared many years before.
MC
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*The Dragons of Chiril* is the first book in the second *Dragon* series by Donita K. Paul. It takes place before the popular *The Dragonkeeper Chronicles*. This was an exciting read for me, because it was the book previous to *Dragons of the Valley*, which I greatly enjoyed. It was fun, to be sure, getting to read the background of that novel.

Christi
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Donita K. Paul's Dragon stories are some of my favorites. I am enthralled with her ability to make the fantasy world of dragons and their keepers come alive to those of us who are no longer young enough to believe in such things. The Dragons of Chiril is no exception to this.

The Dragons of Chiril, previously released as The Vanishing Sculptor, is the story of a young girl, Tipper, who is the daughter of a prominent sculptor and an "eccentric" mother. Her father has disappeared from her life inex
Kevin
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have not read the Dragon Keeper books nor was I aware of Paul’s writing before reading Vanishing Sculptor. For some reason it didn’t register that this book is set in the same world but in a different country and time. Although, this is a stand alone book I have a feeling reading the earlier series would provide a lot of helpful background and ease the reader into the universe Paul has created.

I am not sure if it was a result of this misunderstanding or background but I found Vanishing hard to
Nikole Hahn
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“‘It’s not the pomposity of the building that’s bothering me,’ she said. “It’s the bombastic attitude of the man I must humble myself to.”

‘Don’t,’ said Liberettowit, stopping before the elaborate wooden door of the inn and staring seriously into her eyes, ‘Don’t ever end your sentences with prepositions.’

Beccaroon clicked his tongue. ‘Before. I believe the preposition she should not have ended that sentence with would be before instead of to. One humbles oneself before another person, not to.’

Ti
Lindsay
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lovely mix of witty and hilarious dialogue and banter. An enjoyable read, a great revisit to some favorite characters, but a little stale in parts. I love Paul, but I wish they had a better cover designer. These books are excellent but sadly overlooked.
Michelle
Donita K. Paul's novel The Dragons of Chiril is a fascinating read set in a beautiful, magical kingdom. Tipper is a young lady who has been embroiled, through no fault of her own, in a truly challenging set of circumstances. She is faced with the huge task of caring for her family's estate and her rather eccentric mother, although she really doesn't possess the skills and knowledge to make a success of it. Her father is a famous artist who has been absent for years leaving Tipper to cope on her ...more
Hannah
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-book-diva-s
Rachel Thomson
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tipper’s heart skipped a beat . . . “I have a feeling,” she said, “that we are going to have a glorious quest. This day is the beginning of a great adventure.”

So declares Tipper Schope, who gladly gives up the responsibility of caring for her family’s estate when her disappearing father reappears after fifteen years — well, mostly. He keeps flickering in and out, and his crotchety foreign companions declare a quest necessary: a search for three missing statues, sold off by Tipper to provide mone
Nely
May 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tipper, a young Emerlindian, has been responsible for her family’s upkeep since her sculptor father vanished several years back. It’s been years since she last saw her father, and her mother's, the Lady Peg, mental health has slowly been deteriorating since then, so she has had to single-handedly do everything in her power to maintain her family’s good name. She has even had to sell her father’s beloved sculptures for money in order to pay their servants and purchase food. Until the night her fa ...more
Bunny
**Originally posted at www.bunnycates.com/reading **

My Thoughts:

This story, for me, was a little slow getting going. As an after thought, now, I think I am glad it was. I had never heard of this series or the author – so taking a little time to get the story rolling really allowed me to “discover” the world. If that makes sense? I hope so.

I really enjoyed the characters. I loved that Tipper was very independent and had a strong will. (You can see my goodreads reading updates HERE) At times I was
Rebecca
This was the first Paul book that I’d read and I think this one takes place in the same world as her Dragonkeeper Chronicles. I don’t think you have to have read them to follow the story but there are a few things that might have been explained that were assumed as already known in this book. She uses terms like emerlindian and tumanhofer, which are different races, but we are never told that. There is a glossary to help in moments like this but it would have been nice to have some sort of hint ...more
Kathy
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readin'
The Vanishing Sculptor
Donita K. Paul
Waterbrook/Multnomah
Pgs: 398

Writin'
22 yr old Tipper is not sure what to do. Her father disappeared long ago leaving Lady Peg, and her, with the care and upkeep their estate, Byrdschopen. Tipper keeps hoping her father will appear as the money is starting to run out and she has had to sell some of sculptures to pay the servants and buy food. Just when she thought things couldn't get worse Tipper's father, Verrin Schope, returns. Sort of. He had been whis
Susan
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Summary:
Before DragonSpell, on a different continent and a different time, a young emerlindian's desperate decision threatens to disrupt the foundation of the world.
She must free her father and save the world. But she c
Jennifer Defoy
Hmmm... what to say about this one. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it. It lied somewhere in the hazy middle. First off I'm not a huge fan of mystical books, but that's not really what I didn't like about it. It seemed to take forever for me to read it. I started it on a Friday and didn't finish it till the next Thursday, and for a 400 page YA book, that was just too long.

The story deals with quite a few things, but one of the main ideas is that of faith. The idea of Wulder and what he is c
Debbie
Jun 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, christian
I thoroughly enjoyed the "DragonKeeper Chronicles" series and they're the favorite books of my 11-year-old friend, so we were obviously looking forward to this book. You don't need to read those books to understand this one, but I'd suggest reading them first because I liked them more.

"The Vanishing Sculptor" is a Christian allegorical fantasy novel. It is a good book with enjoyable and entertaining characters. However, I don't think this book had the right viewpoint character. Jayrus is the cha
Chris Curtis
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian
I chose this book because I enjoyed Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball by the same author so much. Unfortunately I did not enjoy this one as much. From the beginning I felt lost. I did not have a clear picture of the different characters both human and animal and the world they lived in. A little more description about the different characters and the world they live in would have helped a lot. For example I am still not sure what a emerlindian or a tumanhofer are even after reading the glossary. ...more
  • Raven's Ladder (The Auralia Thread, #3)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • Tears of a Dragon (Dragons in Our Midst, #4)
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)
  • Veiled Rose (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #2)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
I am an author of Christian Fantasy. My first 7 books were Christian Romance, but I came over to the Dark Side when I heard there were cookies.
More about Donita K. Paul...

Valley of the Dragons (3 books)
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
  • Dragons of the Watch (Valley of the Dragons, #3)