Start by marking “Fungus the Bogeyman” as Want to Read:
Fungus the Bogeyman

Fungus the Bogeyman

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,763 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Deep down underground, in the dark, dripping tunnels of bogeydom, live the bogeys, a vile collection of slimy, smelly creatures who revel in everything revolting. Fungus is a bogeyman-a particularly foul and fetid specimen. As he goes about his bogey business, the full horrors of bogeydom are revealed. Over 80,000 copies of this fun book have been sold worldwide.
Published March 29th 1990 by Puffin (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Fungus the Bogeyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fungus the Bogeyman

For a picture book (and even for a short comic book style graphic novel obviously and primarily meant for children), Raymond Briggs' Fungus the Bogeyman is actually in many ways rather sophisticated and involved humour and narrative-wise, and although I do believe that many children (especially young boys) will likely and perhaps even definitely enjoy much of the presented text and be especially captivated with and by the at times rather disgusting, overtly ribald potty-type of humour, I do not ...more
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Raymond Briggs at his very best – Fungus the Bogeyman is a delightfully, lovely story in all its disgustingly noxious glory. It’s great and horrible fun for adults and kids alike – with brilliant illustrations throughout as you’d expect. Fungus is a great creation / interpretation of a traditional monster, previously enshrined in folklore and now reinvented by Briggs brilliantly for the modern age.
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it

Making things go bump in the night can be satisfying in its way, and a pint of slime goes down nicely after work. Fungus has a full, rich life, which Briggs documents in loving detail. His favored brand of aftershave is "Old Mice", he eats flaked corns for breakfast, and he's read both Stinks I Have Made and The Great Unwashed.

But what does it all mean? We discover that even bogeymen aren't immune to existential angst...
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Fungus! Wherefore art thou? This is Briggs at his perverse and subversive finest. It helps to have a warped sense of humor and a literary background. Best known for his more conventional children's books such as The Snowman, Briggs, like Roald Dahl, has an uncanny sense of what really appeals to children -- gross stuff and toilet humor. Combine that rudimentary appeal with a very adult level of punning and an endearing melancholy and you have Fungus.
Daisy Brown
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: listofbetterment
An interesting approach to a 'picture book'. It reads almost like a comic book with incredibly detailed illustrations in individual boxes with speech bubbles or text. It also reads in the style of a non-fiction guide with and lots of information about 'Bogeys' and their different lifestyle. This could be interpreted as a comical, jovial way to show children that different people can live very diverse lives which may help them to become more aware of the world around them. Amongst the information ...more
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
My sons adored this book and now my grandson does as well. It was a dark departure from Briggs' delightful Father Christmas and the Christmas classic The Snowman and they loved Fungus, his wife and his kids in their subterranean world of snot, pus, boils, filth and decay. And the bogeys! How could I forget them? Briggs says that he invented Fungus, ‘to show the petty nastiness of life — slime and spit and dandruff, all this awful stuff which is slightly funny because it detracts from human digni ...more
Jul 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this book, having heard good things about Raymond Briggs' books for children. I actually couldn't bear to read past the sixth page or so, once I realized that it was just a way-too-wordy Bizzaro Superman-style reversal of everything in polite society. It didn't take long for the concept to sink in, and when I paged through the rest of the book, it seemed to be just more "Bogeymen love all things wet, smelly, and dirty" ad nauseum.
Pete daPixie
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pixie-stuff
Excellent book. Raymond Briggs drawings are great. Of course being a pixie type person myself I firmly believe in the little people that live at the bottom of gardens and in enchanted woods and forests. Believe in Bogeymen too.
Beau Johnston
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This disgraceful book is a blast from the past. My teacher used to hate it when the class was reading (non-school) books and he'd see this well-worn tome on my desk.

Come to think of it, my mother wasn't very happy with me reading it either.

Regardless, I enjoyed it immensely.
James Byrne
Fungus the Bogeyman by Raymond Briggs is fantastic and intriguing read for children aged between seven and eleven. It is a hugely entertaining read from start to finish, chronicling the life of Fungus and his grotesque environment. The readers imagination is stimulated from page one right up until the final page. Briggs not only gives the reader a clear indication of what the Bogeyman wears, eats and wash’s himself with but also the bogeyman’s hobbies, habitat and modes of transport. The reader’ ...more
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, children
I had been wanting to read this for years and finally bought it last year but I was so disappointed in it! I thought it was a cartton strip full of the adventures of a Bogeyman who was going out to scare people and cause mayhem, but it wasn't like that at all.

Yes there were bits with Fungus talking to his family and a bit where he is playing tricks on people but a lot of it is just long winded descriptions of things that didn't really interest me. For example we would get the start of the page w
Oh Fungus, how I love thee.

I remembered this book as a child, as an adult I had to find a copy and I did. The book was more a revelation this time around.

Fungus lives an ordinary life, he gets up, gets prepared for work, makes the commute, does his job and wonders what is it all about? That is what I loved this time around, Fungus did not know why he scares people, why he puts boils on them and why he does this day after day.

While Fungus tries to figure life out, we are treated to an explorat
Goodness knows when and why I acquired this! Isn’t it amazing what one can find during a good, thorough, turn-out. This book will be turned out. To a charity shop.

Well, I tried re-reading this ‘comic book’ again; but very rapidly made up my mind that whatever might have once appealed to me now definitely doesn’t. I estimate the market for this book as that solely of prep school boys aged between 9 and 11. Yes, the characters and their world is beautifully drawn, with lots and lots of fascinating
Onion Budgie
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I first read this when I was 10, and thought that it was just about the best thing ever. Skip forward [mumble mumble] years -- yes, that many -- and I've just found the very same book hiding in a forgotten, dusty stack at my parent's house. Instant nostalgia, and happy memories of slime and boils and bogeys. Fungus is not just for kids.
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
A strong stomach is occasionally required to accompany a reading of this exploration of a typical day in the life of Fungus the Bogeyman. Bogeydom is not a place I would particularly like to visit, but I am glad I am aware of it, and that while reading about its goings-on my dinner, and sense of humour, remained intact.
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fantasy, comics
A book that no child should be without. A book to pore over and find new details in. Briggs does a great job of bringing home to you how alien the bogeymen are. Reading it as an adult I got more of the humour, like the censored umbilical cord. The story follows Fungus as he goes about his night while quietly having an existential crisis. There's an interesting commentary on the British class system.
Lennox Nicholson
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Much loved classic from my childhood that, like Revenge of the Nerds, has stood the test of time while others have fallen away and would be an instant classic if released today. Still on my bookshelf as I feel a responsibility, even a duty, to pass this on to the next generation.
Oliver St john
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ooh my favorite xmas present
Penny Olson
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this as a child and still now as an adult. Don't pass up a chance to enter the magical, grotty, snotty, hilarious underground world of Fungus and friends.
Lili Rucker
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It was pretty good
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Delightful. I debated giving it five stars, but there are one or two Briggs books I like even better (The Snowman and When the Wind Blows, if you were wondering, and even if you weren't), so I held off, no doubt being unforgivably parsimonious with my stars. This is a delightful, eccentric book, the sort of book that genuinely IS all-ages, a claim often made but rarely merited. Kids will delight in the grossness, the often groanworthy but always delightful puns, and the wonderfully detailed art. ...more
Rebecca Erlewein
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes clever picture books
What a fun book! The friend who recommended it to me said: "This will really appeal to the 10-year-old boy in you." And it did!
Bogeydom, where Fungus lives with his wife Mildew and their son Mould, is very differnt from the human world. Bogeys love dirt, slime, being wet and cold, and strong odours.
After a few pages, I thought, "OK, I get it, everything is the other way round". To my surprise, the idea didn't get old over the next few dozen pages, because just when you think, OK, this can't get
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Trust my boss to get me a christmas present based on mucus, ogres, philosophical yearning, and children's lit. (He really is a great man.)

The inventive world of the bogey's is silly without being stupid. It actually manages to urge readers to question the world around them and allows them to empathize with a hero who is part booger, part ogre, part existentialist.

The only thing that stops it from being truly remarkable and lovable is that it overdoses at times on text and becomes more illustrate
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Fungus and his bogeyman friends are the cause of all the gross and upsetting things in the world, though those of us who live Up Top know little of their lives. This book sets out to remedy that. So here’s a little sample of this comic:

Fungus inspects his trousers which have been marinading overnight. “Mmmm! These really stink!”

Here’s another as Fungus performs his daily ablutions:

“Ah! Nice cold filthy water! Good head of scum on it this morning.”

You get the idea. Boils...dung...muck...every sor
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes ick.
eeew! not since 'the heap' in Mad magazine has there been such a repulsive protagonist- and I say that with all due respect.

illustrations are excellent renditions of bogeys at home, and, fair warning, may make you feel a bit maudlin, but sentiment aside, this is just the book to curl up with on a particularly nasty winter evening.
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ever wondered what bogeymen do with their time off? Here's the guide to finding out. There's a lot of in jokes from the seventies which would probably go over the heads of moist of today's kids, but they'll still enjoy this rather squelchy look at bogeydom.

Briggs may be better known for The Snowman but my, and indeed Sean's, preference is for Fungus.
I'd call this a child's first graphic novel. I haven't seen it in years yet various images from this book are still etched in my brain. It's a must have for a child, especially a boy child who likes disgusting things.
Craig Fischer
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I didn't get to Fungus, until I was much older in my life, but it brought out the kid in me when I did. Briggs creates one of the most imaginative and hilarious worlds in recent memory--and I strongly recommend it.
Simon Purdy
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was an okay book, not much in the way of story. Just so much information, it felt more like a wildlife documentary about the Bogeymen rather than an actually story. So, yeah. OK - but not great. Preferred the TV Mini-series with Timothy Spall in.
Andrés Santiago
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
What a gem of a book! This is amazing, I can relate to people who read it as kids and keep coming back to it. I bet you can find new things in it every time. It is lol funny and sweet without being sentimental. Loved the graffitis on the walls!!
  • Haunted House
  • Mr. Majeika
  • Burglar Bill
  • Friends from the Other Side/Amigos del otro lado
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • A Book of Nonsense
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat
  • 100万回生きたねこ (The Cat Who Lived a Million Times)
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Come Away From the Water, Shirley
  • Little Old Mrs. Pepperpot
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
  • Anno's Journey
  • Not Now, Bernard
Raymond Redvers Briggs is an English illustrator, cartoonist, graphic novelist, and author who has achieved critical and popular success among adults and children. He is best known for his story "The Snowman", which is shown every Christmas on British television in cartoon form and on the stage as a musical.

His first three major works, Father Christmas, Father Christmas Goes on Holiday (both featu
More about Raymond Briggs...

Fiction Deals

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99