Start by marking “The Best Laid Plans” as Want to Read:
The Best Laid Plans

The Best Laid Plans

He wanted power. Oliver Russell is fated to rise to the pinnacle of power, President of the United States. She wanted revenge. Leslie Stewart is his betrayed fiancee. Amassing her own media empire, on her fortieth birthday, she looks back. What went wrong?
Published 1998 by Time Warner (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Laid Plans, please sign up.
TanuSree
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Best Laid Plans
Ebehi
Dec 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm a Sheldon fan. His books usually make quick reading and are entertaining. He is not one for deep, haunting tales but it snags me everytime the way he can spin almost any story and make me stay up reading it. However, for this one, he seems to have lost quite a bit of his spinning abilities.

There was the usual twist where things don't end up how you would expect. I was mildly surprised with this one but the problem was, it wasn't an "Ah! I've figured it out" moment. I was more like, "are you
Srikari
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wait, what? 2 stars?

description

Yes I know, I know. I couldn't believe it myself. I mean I HEART Sydney Sheldon but this book was annoying. I saw the plot twist coming, there was absolutely no action until three fourths of the book and I thought the characters were CREEPY!
but I didn't give up hope. I went on and on, looking for the revenge, for something unexpected but I just grew sadder and tired. At the end I just wanted to stare into nothingness, wait, then I have to read the book again, it had NOTHING!
Nadia
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sexist pigs
Bren
― Sidney Sheldon, The Best Laid Plans

This political thriller is gripping and is absolutely at the top of the group in terms of Sheldon books.

I lov
Sully (thysaltymar)
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, owned-books
Love and betrayal linked in the world of politics.
Written by the master of deceit, Sidney Sheldon <3

Sidney Sheldon's "The Best Laid Plans" intrigues from the very beginning and compels the reader to continue reading until the last page
(Message to the future readers of Sheldon's novels: Forget about peeing! It ain't going to happen until you finish this in just one sit)
OSM SHELDON.
Joy H.
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Added 4/25/15. First published in 1997.
Well written. Excellent plot development. Written with amazing clarity, despite the large number of characters and the many shifts in time and place. Easy to read. A page-turner!

The plot concerns the machinations of politicians for power and the role of the media. There's even some romance, such as it is.
Rita
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Read it in a handful visits to the toilet at my parents' house. This is the first book by Sheldon I've completed... and probably the last. The writing technique is basic and unskilled. The characters are flat and uninteresting. An example: the omniscient narrator tells us the main character, Leslie Stewart, is very intelligent. He repeats it about three times over the first pages instead of showing it via the character's actions of AT LEAST making other characters say it. The ending is very pred ...more
Donna
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You just can't go wrong with a Sidney Sheldon book. Love, betrayal, revenge... it has it all. Of all of the characters, I liked Dana the best. She has a heart of gold. I don't believe that the other characters are supposed to be likable. I think that was the point. Leslie is the woman scorned, hell bent on revenge. Oliver is the social climbing politician that only cares about his ambitions and not who he hurts. Senator Todd is only concerned about how much power he can achieve. This was a polit ...more
Michael
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Not Sheldon's worst, but certainly not his best. There's a little too much going on here that felt irrelevant. Nonetheless, a page-turning read, ideal for the beach.
Meenakshi Reddy
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Being a sheldons fan I am really disappointed by this book. The story is very weak and I feel dana evans character was forcefully put to get that ending.Unlike his other books there are no twists except for one .
The Writer
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
I’m still having Sidney Sheldon marathon, folks and this is the third book I have read in the past three days. Yep, you got that right, I read one book a day, nothing difficult with this one as Mr. Sheldon’s works are quite “light and entertaining”.

How can I start with “The Best Laid plans”? Before I picked it up this morning, I only remember that I have read it once and I thought it was awesome, but that was me – 15 years ago perhaps and I’m sure that I have changed a lot since then, including
Hesamul Haque
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
There are millions of actions which take place between rags to riches stories in order to obtain the power and Sydney Sheldon does that beautifully keeping in mind the important aspects of dirty and political games happen in real life. The author always creates an everlasting impression of his female protagonists in the reader's mind.
The book is quite fast-paced nowhere to get bored and if you are on a reading hiatus then pick this book and done with the intriguing adventure of acquiring power
Pooja
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Pooja by: Archit
Shelves: 100-pages, mystery
The female protagonists always introspect in the end, about how and what went wrong, that led them to a state of destruction. Isn’t it fun to see a character in complete bewilderment and to find yourself perplexed too, contemplating and seeking the same answers as them?

It exasperates me when the protagonists get all the possible joys in the world, sometimes more than that, but they never pause to think what right decisions did they take to have this state of bliss. It would save them a lot of pa
Crime Addict Sifat
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wore out political assistant stops just before a decision - yet is compelled to run a sad crusade in transit out. He makes an arrangement with a dried up old Scot, Angus McLintock- - a designing educator who will do anything, anything, to abstain from instructing English to engineers- - to give his name a chance to remain in the race. No compelling reason to crusade, sure to lose, et cetera.

At that point an awesome outrage overwhelms his rival, and sadly, Angus is chosen. He chooses to percei
Sindhuja Anbazhagan
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Best Laid Plans by Sidney Sheldon - Wonderful suspense.

I am a big fan for Sidney Sheldon's book. After so many years, I picked up his book with so many expectations. This book dint fail me. Got more thrilled than expected. Guaranteed to keep you turning pages.. He is a master storyteller. The plot centers on two characters : Oliver Russell and Leslie Stewart. Oliver promising to Leslie that he will marry her. But because of Senator Todd Davis's greedy words(marry my daughter and I will make
Alison
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another delicious revenge/love/backstabbing story. Leslie's character's ending is so appropriate and I was surprised to find out who was responsible for Chloe's death. ...more
Ivi Oltovska
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
loved it
Peace Love and Reviews
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Leslie and Stewart, had it good. she was on the top of her game, young, beautiful, intelligent and the number one in public relations field. He was handsome, charismatic and have a lot of potential. They were in love, engaged to be married in a few days until Oliver got a call from his former girlfriend, Senator father.
Todd, promised him money and power but he has to marry his daughter. Oliver was sure he would not do it but the Senator's word echoed in his mind and left Leslie to be humiliated.
আকাশ আব্দুল্লাহ
Sheldon is an well-known international bestseller writer and in this book he just wrote like a cheap newborn writer. He spend writing more than 50 pages on a minor character! when I was reading the last final pages,then I discovered that particular minor character has not a slightest impact on the story. Then why the hell Sheldon filled the pages just for nothing? to make it a fat,big book? who knows!

Besides, I expected the main female protagonist will take her revenge. Here also Sheldon has do
Ebthal Eisa
as it usually is with Sheldon, I finished the book in one day!! mind blowing as usual...Oliver Russell kind of reminds me of Obama; charming, well-meaning and absolutely useless!
the part about the Arab king and the peace treaty is my least favorite of course...I found it stupid which is a shame cuz Sheldon doesn't do stupid.
I cried when Kamel cried in the van. which by the way reminds me of how infuriating the whole it's-nobody's-yet-everybody's-fault explanation Sheldon appointed to both mentio
Green Singh
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
'Boring'... If I have to describe this book with one word,that's the one I choose..sidney Sheldon clearly wrote this when he was bored out of his mind... in all the other books of his I've read, the protogonist always accomplish what they're set out to..but in this one,he made Leslie Stewart a laughing stock in the end..how does one expect to give the lead role to another character in the middle of the damn story... Moreover the whole book rides on the simple twist at the end (no spoilers) ..but ...more
Harish Challapalli
What a gripping story!! u can see Mr.sheldon's trademark twists and turns!! didnt feel boring through out the book!! ...more
Tim
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this story until its less than fulfilling ending that left things unresolved for me. 6 of 10 stars
Ly
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
A half-heartened mixture of Sheldon's previous works. A familiar plot: intelligent, attractive woman takes revenge against the disarmingly charming and speciously sincere man, who doesn't hesitate to throw away love for ambition. A guaranteed page-turner. I was excited, I read the whole book in one sitting. However, there are a lot that are missing. Compared to Sheldon's similar works, the book seems like a hurried project, rushed out to meet the publishing deadline.

Talking about revenge, Lesli
Nikhita
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Upon getting to know that Sheldon is one of the prominent novelists,I chose to read this one. But I guess I made a wrong choice.The best part I liked is that every character and every scene is so vivid to imagine.Coming to the part that i disliked, the story seemed to be hastily ended with improper justification.I felt there might be a better ending than this. I also felt that the story was elongated by including detailed explanation of minor characters.
Over all, the book seemed to be 'OK' to me
Divya
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I always like Sidney Sheldon novels but not this. There were many unnecessary characters and scenarios which are not related to the storyline and at the end the twist was good but the way the characters ended doesn’t seem justified.I have not expected such a disappointment from sidney sheldon writings.
Thirumoorthy
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
It was little boring in the middle, too much of unwanted details, but the climax was good.
Jaivarsan B
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sidney Sheldon has impeccable talent in manipulating words to make you believe what he wants you to believe!
LAVA
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jr. Garcia
😢
Disappointed

The story was not that bad although I couldn't say that it was good either. There were many events that were not so important and in some parts, I was really left asking, "huh?". Some events in the story were really thrilling and fun to read but I really hated that it ended the way it did. 😔

• Sidney Sheldon's Mistress of the Game
  • Sidney Sheldon's Angel of the Dark
  • Sidney Sheldon's After the Darkness
  • Chasing Tomorrow (Tracy Whitney #2)
  • Reckless (Tracy Whitney #3)
  • Sidney Sheldon's The Tides of Memory
  • Sidney Sheldon’s The Silent Widow
  • Scandalous
  • Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less
  • Godina prođe, dan nikad
  • The 3 Mistakes of My Life
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • One Night at the Call Center
  • 2 States: The Story of My Marriage
  • Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT
  • Puppet on a Chain
  • The Class
  • Sidney Sheldon's The Phoenix
Sidney Sheldon (1917-2007) was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist.

His TV works spanned a twenty-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling no

News & Interviews

“Peace is a simple word, but it has a lot of ramifications. Peace doesn’t have any financial benefits. When there’s a war, countries buy billions of dollars’ worth of armaments that are made here in the United States. In peacetime, they don’t need any. Because Iran can’t sell its oil, oil prices are up, and the United States gets the benefit of that.” 0 likes
“Dana Evans was a foreign correspondent for the Washington Tribune Enterprises Broadcasting System. She reported the news every day, and Oliver tried not to miss her broadcasts. She was one of the best reporters on the air” 0 likes