Start by marking “Show; Don't Tell!: Secrets of Writing” as Want to Read:
Show; Don't Tell!: Secrets of Writing

Show; Don't Tell!: Secrets of Writing

Innovative yet accessible writing strategies appropriate for both fiction and nonfiction are presented in this enchanting tale of a writing lion who holds court for a cast of animal friends. Aspiring writers learn the essential nature of nouns and adjectives and how to use them to express their individual visions so that they “show and don’t tell” every time. Writing lesso ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Gingerbread House

To ask other readers questions about Show; Don't Tell!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Show; Don't Tell!

Start your review of Show; Don't Tell!: Secrets of Writing
Jeff
Jun 09, 2010 rated it did not like it

From descriptions, this book seemed to offer a fresh and fun look at the basic writing principle of "showing, not telling." I was sorely disappointed. The book was jumbled and difficult to follow. The author jumped between different examples with no rhyme or reason, rather than staying with a specific example or changing between examples in a logical fashion. Several of the examples were also incomplete. In addition, I don't feel the author spoke clearly to a specific audience.

I had picked this

Isabel
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-fantasy
This is a wonderful combination of text intertwining with pictures- one that shows how to approach writing even for the most reluctant!
Meridith Styer
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got this book for my 5th grade niece who loves writing and, after reading it, I think it is both lovely and perfect for her.
Shelby Hayes
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 11-20-read3090
Summary: This book talks about different ways to write about emotions through the personification of animals. There is no storyline, more so advice on each page.

Evaluation: This book was a good tool in the 5th grade writing class to show examples of words and phrases to use when using detailed language. This book provides examples for students to see how to show emotions and not tell them in their writing.

Teaching Point: This book could be used for teaching writing, as well as acting out. Studen
Kim
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I found this book in my picture book library yesterday. I am teaching fictional narratives and want my fifth graders to use sensory details. We have talked a lot about showing, not telling, but I still don't think they get it. I'm not sure this book will help too much. It is difficult to follow--the text is all over the page and the reader has to figure out which character moves the book along. I like how she asks sensory questions at the end, but again it's difficult to follow.

Maybe if I reread
Sahir D'souza.
An absolute delight of a book! Anyone even remotely interested in writing should possess this book (for once, DO NOT borrow it from the library: you may end up stealing it) and dip into it at leisure. Which other book on writing has a lion conducting a mock writing workshop with a pompous goose, a scientist penguin, a gentle cow, a practical rat and a loving hippo? Which other book on writing explains the importance of a noun over an adjective by showing (not telling) how important a noun is? An ...more
Miss_Nelson
WritingFix's Mentor Text of the Year 2011-12, Nobisso's comic-strip-like explanation of how to best communicate what is in the writer's mind, should be a useful classroom tool.

I imagine creating a Reader's Theater script to use in segments. Different segments can focus on using specific nouns and revealing adjectives and using the five senses in writing fiction or non-fiction.

JustOneMoreBook.com
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Push-button glass crashing, scratch-and-sniff scent and a cast of warmly illustrated and truly lovable animal characters disguise this palatable presentation of language arts pointers as a read-again storytime hit.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Randall
Mar 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book attempts to show children why it’s important to use the “senses” to show what’s happening in a story, but the book becomes unnecessarily complicated and didactic. I found myself having to reread sections and still not quite understanding her concept. A great idea that forgot, I think, that the book needs to engage a child reader.
Theresa
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
teaching children how to write is a had thing, this book uses dynamic wording, and wandering script to help children learn the process of writing and using adverbs to enhance their writing. Talks about using all the five senses and intuition to connect to the reader, because its not the reader who fails to see the writers story, but the writers fault in not explaining it.
Tiff
Jan 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is way too scattered and confusing for children to use on their own. Teachers MAY be able to use it I suppose...but it won't be easy. Too bad I wasted money on this for my school library. :( Oh well. ...more
Lynn
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile-nf
Cute, engaging, but could use a bit refinement, seems to end abruptly. Original idea on teaching use of nouns and adjectives, many lessons I've been hearing in my own writing classes! One drawback is the the smelly sticker and sound button-how long will thy last in a school library??? ...more
Kalynda
I liked where this book was trying to go, and I liked some aspects and ideas, but overall I didn't love it. It was lacking clarity for the intended audience, which was further impeded by all the side conversations/captions that were like interruptions to clear delivery. ...more
Heather
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Great for older students, could be tough for young learners.
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This could be a useful instructional tool to show students basic writing tenets in a way they can absorb.
Sara
Sep 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Doctor Sleep
  • Stuck in Neutral
  • The Summerhouse (The Summerhouse, #1)
  • A Tale Dark & Grimm (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Listening for the Crack of Dawn
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • The Wolf Who Cried Boy
  • ...I Never Saw Another Butterfly...
  • Five Feet Apart