Start by marking “Action!” as Want to Read:
Action!

Action!

2.58  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
What do you do when your oldest friend, Steve McQueen, pulls out his Smith & Wesson and blows your defenseless dining-room chair to smithereens? Or when your hottest client, sex goddess Romy Schneider, demands you leave your wife for her? Those are just a couple of the dilemmas faced by AJ Jastrow, the fictional protagonist of Action ," " Robert Cort's page-turning sag ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published June 3rd 2003 by Random House (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Action!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Action!

Nigel
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written with an insider's knowledge this is a smart and engrossing inter-generational family drama with a cutthroat Hollywood movie business backdrop. It's a fascinating insight into movie business power politics with many a scabrous tale of real life movie characters cleverly interweaved with their fictional counterparts.
Chris Norbury
If you are a Hollywood movie buff, or a interested in the history of the movie biz during the last half of the 20th century, you'll enjoy this book. I'm neither, although I enjoy a good film as much as the next guy.

I felt the story was a little too "name-droppy"-- real actors, directors, producers, etc., included in the story more for their marquee value than anything else.

No particular era is studied in depth, so it doesn't replace a good historical work about the movie industry, but for those
Colleen
Apr 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the history of Hollywood
I was going into an interview with the author, so I figured I would read his book first. It actually ended up being a really interesting look at the history of hollywood through the eyes of a fictional hollywood power family.

Every section is a year during a different decade. It starts with the father and how he was working in film right when TV was coming out. Then it skips ahead to his son and the son's family in Hollywood up to the present day. They do everything - even make a fictional movie
N.N. Light
I was so excited to read this book. I've been a huge fan of Robert Cort and his movies for years.

What I liked:

- the real-life stars, executives and directors appearing as themselves in this story
- gritty details of the history of the movie industry
- AJ, the character
- the ending

What I hated:

- Ricky/Richard (AJ's son)'s whiny personality and his pettiness towards his dad
- it got long-winded about 2/3 of the way through

For the first half of the book, it was a 5 star book. I was captivated by the
Anne
Oct 06, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Movie people
Well I should preface this by saying that I only read the first 2 chapters of this book. I realized in reading those chapters that even though i like movies i do not like to read about the movie business. It appears that a lot of this book is about the biz which i'm not interested in. So the reason for the 1 star is just because it's just not my topic of interest..
Bern J
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK
Rita
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Interesting take on making movies in Hollywood, but overall not much else. I had this as an audiobook and it was ok to listen to while walking and working out.
Rebekkila
Jul 21, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Randi
Nov 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I could not really get into this book. I read the first couple of chapter and was not interested enough to keep going.
Kat Chan
Nov 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I kept trying to like this, but it's a terrible writing style.
rated it did not like it
John
Jul 06, 2012
Karen
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was rather disappointed.
Pjwhitmer