Start by marking “Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story” as Want to Read:
Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story

Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story

Thirty million presentations will be given today. Millions will fail. Millions more will be received with yawns. A rare few will establish the most profound connection, in which presenter and audience understand each other perfectly, discover common ground and, together, decide to act.
Published March 3rd 2003 by FT Press (first published January 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Presenting to Win, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Presenting to Win

Neil
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is overhyped. I have a great passion toward delivering powerful presentations and I found this book disappointing. While it will certainly be helpful to the absolute amateur, a lot of Weissman's techniques are mediocre at best. The best sections of the book had to do with the verbal and organizational aspects of giving a presentation - how to brainstorm, how to think of a presentation, how to construct a storyboard, and how the audience's mind works. The worst parts of this book were a ...more
Paul Signorelli
You have to be good if you’re going to sell more than 100,000 copies of a book about how to be a better presenter. Jerry Weissman is good. And he gets to the heart of great presentation skills by reminding us, throughout this wonderfully engaging book, of the importance of story if we want to hold the attention of audiences at a time when attention spans are as ephemeral as yesterday’s tweets. Whether we're new to the art of presentation or are experienced presenter-trainer-teachers benefitting ...more
Grzegorz Witek
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. Jerry Weissman presented a lot - and I mean A LOT - of different ways to improve presentations. I'm sure I will use the information from his book very often.
Before I started reading "Presenting to Win" I thought it might be yet-another-book-about-improving-yourself. But no, it's not saying "be confident, speak loud". It contains many general rules, but also many simple hints that will, I'm sure they will, improve the way I'm preparing presentations and showing them.
Kimberly Jordan
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Helpful!

Getting your story right is the key to presenting well and the writer takes you through steps to do this. Admittedly, I wanted more time on the topic and more examples. This is as close as I’ll likely get to attending his workshop, and there’s plenty to implement here! I highly recommend this book for those who want to improve their presentations.
Ken MacClune
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the name - a good book with interesting and fun stories and some recommendations that are worth keeping in mind.
Carl Nohr
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the focus on meeting the needs of the audience. Lots of very practical suggestions to improve presentations.
Leanna Manuel
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book. I'm not sure what drew me to it since I am not necessarily in a position where I give formal presentations very often and frankly have avoided using audiovisual aids in the presentations I have given. Prior to reading this book I couldn't have told you what an IPO was and I'm not in an industry where I'm likely to give presentations to investors or in a multimillion dollar industry.

I have given presentations though and they haven't always gone the way I wanted them to.
Stella Spang
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, ebooks
Presenting to Win was downloaded to my Nook library when Barnes and Noble offered it for free in October 2012. It uses PowerPoint 2003 and 2007 in its examples. PowerPoint 2013 is likely to adapt to those instructions.
Weissman wants us to strongly remember the phrase, a presentation is not a document. The speaker needs more than Word to write a speech and PowerPoint for the graphics. He wants the speaker to be an audience advocate so that your message gets through to the audience before their e
Todd Bergman
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Older technology but timeless suggestions

I was interested in this book because I do speak in front of people on a regular basis (as a preacher, I am publicly speaking every week). I wanted to improve my presentation skills. The subject of presentations is specifically directed at the business world and not sermon or teaching. The main idea of a narrative presentation model is relevant. The method applies to any speaker who may need to improve their presentation in preparation, flow, and visual a
Duncan
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book had a slow start (chapter on cardinal sins of presenting), rehashing pretty obvious points, but gradually improved, especially from Chapter 3 onwards. Overall, I agree with most of Weissman's thoughts on how to make good persuasion presentations (e.g. keep it simple, slides are to support the presenter, use pics/graphs, carefully craft your story arc, etc.). He can be pretty prescriptive (e.g. the exact sequence and structure of a presentation), but I think this is a good thing, as he prese ...more
David
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
The great Brad Holaway gave me this book saying, "I've read it 3x already, here, take it, just read it."

It's on telling your "point" as a story. It's on seeing interaction as persuasion. An idea I am not always comfortable with (per conversations at my home in the early 2000's about relationship = influence). More to come...

Pretty good book that pushes a main point: the What's In It for YOU!! Keys in on the idea of value: is a product, service, idea, relationship, etc. Valuable (worth something)
Raven
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cappa-training
Another book from my childbirth educator training reading list. Although teaching a course is quite different from giving a business pitch presentation, there were some good reminders throughout this book. For instance, remember that any visual aides or slide show presentations are there to support the presenter, not to state every word of the presentation or serve as a crutch for the presenter. Keep it simple, connect with your audience, and make things clear. I wouldn't say any of this was tha ...more
Johnny Holiday
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book if you are planning on giving any sort of presentation.

I liked his emphasis on understanding the needs of your audience; what they care about, what they are interested in, the problems they face the dreams that they cherish and the biases that they hold. Then he asks the question...how can what you have (product, idea or service)give them what they want? This, of course, applies to business presentations as well as those that come up in personal and family life!

He shows how to organiz
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Presentar para ganar, de Jerry Weissman.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: habilidades directivas, hablar en público y hacer presentaciones.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Presentar para ganar, Cómo hacer presentaciones que despierten el interés de la audiencia: Presentar para ganar
Res
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: org_biz
Focus is on structuring a presentation; there's very little on bells and whistles, and, refreshingly, no chapter on how to use PowerPoint.

Actually delivering the presentation is only touched on. Other books will have better info on that.

One drawback: He's only focusing on one type of presentation, the type that's designed to persuade an audience to do something for you. (Here, it's usually investing in your business.) It takes a bit of a leap to apply his lessons to presentations that are desi
Raymond Esposito
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
I have conducted hundreds of seminars, attended the same number of client meetings, presented to investors and board members, and have lead various teams. Presenting to Win has been my go to book for designing effective presentations that are concise, powerful and well-received. If you are in the a field that requires presentations this book should be the foundation for your approach and presentation.
Ben Z.
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Useful, no-nonsense manual for creating effective business presentations. The author gives many useful tactics and ideas to help you create a narrative, organize your slides, customize for your audience, and design and animate the final presentation.

While some of his case studies are a bit dated, many of Weissman's examples and "watch outs" offer a solid style guide for any modern presenter. Many of his principles are based on simple storytelling, perception, and audience psychology.
Monique
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-book
Great how-to guide for how to perfect your presentation. The chapters are well organized and easy to understand. You can improve your presentations bit by bit adding an additional segment with each edit. The use of personal stories and references to current issues will bring participants into your realm of knowledge captivating their attention. Powerful reference tool which I will refer to often.
Karen
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was focused on business presentations, while my public speaking is geared toward community education and volunteer recruitment. That said, there are a lot of good tips in here about how to structure presentations to make them more engaging, and I will try to incorporate some of those ideas into my future talks.
Vaughn
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid 3.5 stars. In this book, Weissman provides some very helpful insight into structuring and framing effective presentations. I found some of the examples redundant, which took away from the book's appeal. One of the most helpful aspects was the comprehensive appendixes, which I copied and stuck in my tool kit for presentation preparation - many, many good reminders.
Mike
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent aid to creating clear presentations. Weissman puts his principles into practice in the writing of the book itself. It is easy to follow and his main point of each chapter sticks with you. Here are his 5 cardinal problems with most presentations.

1. No clear point.
2. No audience benefit.
3. No Clear flow.
4. Too many details.
5. Too long.
Jim Tincher
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview of how to build a speech, with some very in-depth recommendations. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but it has some excellent reminders, and then really goes into detail around such things as slide design and connecting your various topics together.
Anna
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I can see this being an excellent workshop, but it just doesn't translate all that well to a book. Even the attempt seems to contradict itself.
Andrew Long
It's a basic book about the basics of making a good presentation. Should be required reading in B-school.
Joe
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a free kindle book so I figured why not...I wanted to do a little research this topic as I use PowerPoint quite a bit. There are some very helpful ideas in this book.
Ian
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great advice about giving presentations. Totally changed my thoughts about how to structure a slideshow and create slides.
Jamie
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information but a bit long winded and repetitive.
Jim Hoffecker
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Great book on the concepts to help someone learn how to properly present their ideas in a way that leads people forward. Many of the concepts make sense and will enhance anyone's presentations.
Jesse
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Good content, though a little dry. I liked "Resonate" by Nancy Duarte better- similar content, but done better.
  • The Truth About Negotiations
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations that Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations with or Without Slides
  • Helping People Win at Work: A Business Philosophy called ''Don't Mark My Paper, Help Me Get an A'' (Leading at a Higher Level)
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • 15 Successful Communications Lessons (Collection)
  • Make More, Worry Less: Secrets from 18 Extraordinary People Who Created a Bigger Income and a Better Life
  • Business and Competitive Analysis: Effective Application of New and Classic Methods
  • 10 Simple Secrets of the World's Greatest Business Communicators
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • The Exceptional Presenter: A Proven Formula to Open Up and Own the Room
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort Through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • The 1-2-3 Money Plan: The Three Most Important Steps to Saving and Spending Smart
  • Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact
Jerry Weissman is a leading corporate presentations coach. His private client list reads like a who's who of the world's best companies, including the top brass at Yahoo!, Intel, Intuit, Cisco Systems, Microsoft, Dolby Labs and many others. He is the founder of Suasive, Inc.
“Data Dump: an excessive, meaningless, shapeless outpouring of data without purpose or plan. The inevitable reaction of audiences to a Data Dump is not persuasion, but rather the horrific effect known as MEGO: Mine Eyes Glaze Over. The inevitable reaction of audiences to a Data Dump is not persuasion, but rather the horrific effect known as MEGO: Mine Eyes Glaze Over. Why? Why would any presenter in his or her right mind do” 0 likes
“Every communication has as its goal to take the audience from where they are at the start of your presentation, which is Point A, and move them to your objective, which is Point B. Recognizing” 0 likes