Start by marking “Kate: The Making of a Princess” as Want to Read:
Kate: The Making of a Princess

Kate: The Making of a Princess

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  213 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Kate by Claudia Joseph, is a true-life fairy tale: the biography of Kate Middleton, Princess-in-Waiting, who is quite possibly poised to be the next Queen of England. The extraordinary Cinderella story of the beautiful, charming, sophisticated young woman who has snagged Britain’s most eligible bachelor, Prince William, Kate is a must-read for all the many followers of the ...more
Published February 15th 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published November 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Kate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate

Karin
I'm getting tired of non-fiction books being titled NOTHING like what the book is actually about. I thought this book: THE MAKING OF A PRINCESS would be about how Kate's childhood, parents, schooling, activities prepared her for the role of princess. Maybe she earned awards for speech-making in school or came out of her shyness thru a special technique her mother thought of. Nope.

The second section of the book (about Kate) was all about the gossip. In fact it wasn't even new, or better gossip.
Margaret
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK - interesting for a student of Family History but Miss Middleton is still a bit of a nonentity.
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 added it
Shelves: book-collector
Synopsis from Borders.com: Kate Middleton is the girl everyone wants to be. Catherine Elizabeth 'Kate' Middleton is living a perfect Cinderella fairy tale. She is engaged to Britain's most desirable bachelor�and now she's the future queen of England!\nBased on exclusive and intimate interviews with Kate's closest friends and relatives, and illustrated throughout with photographs, many published here for the very first time, Claudia Joseph's Kate: The Making of a Princess is a fascinating portrai ...more
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, nonfiction
Total trash reading. So unlike me! :-)

Everyone has their celebrity fixation, and I'll admit it: mine is the royal family.

The first half or so of the book is a relatively detailed history of Kate's lineage, tracing both sides of her family back into the 1600s. It reads kind of like an episode of "Who Do You Think You Are," pointing out random famous people who Kate is distantly related to (like Sir John Gielgud and the Spencer family). It felt like nearly all of the chapters ended with a dumb li
Mallory
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, biography
Kate: The Making of a Princess begins very much like a family history of Kate's early relatives dating back to the early 1800s. If you like genealogy, you will like reading this book as the beginning is nothing like any other royal biography. While I applaud the amount of research that had to go into this book, since there was not much written about her relatives it does tend to read more like a series of facts (name, date of birth, occupation, who they married... next person) than like a story. ...more
Candice
Details at my blog

The first part of the book was Kate Middleton's ancestry, and though it was sometimes hard to keep all the names straight, it gave an interesting overview of English history from the point of view of ordinary people (coal mines, diseases, world wars, etc).

The second half was mostly Kate's life, and the last bit more about Kate's social life. I was surprised at how often it would mention Kate and William doing exactly the same thing (e.g. William's hanging out with his friends,
Maria
This is one of the books where the only reason why I continued to read it is because I was bored. Hence the reason why it took me long.

Anyway, this book in one word: boooooring. I skipped the first hundred pages, because honestly, who is really that interested to read about Kate's ancestors like a few hundred years ago. If I could care less about this woman, I could give no shit about where she came from.

What I found so hilarious with this book is that compared to the other Kate books I read, ev
Kate
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This felt like two seperate books. The first part was largely about Kate's more distant ancestors. It bounced between what was going on in their lives, as commoners, and what was going on in the royal family at the same time, which was a really neat historical perspective.

The second half of the book read like a long tabloid article on Kate's like - where she ate, who she hung out with, etc. I wouldn't call it a good biography but it considering I hadn't really kept up with the Kate/William story
Kindra
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was semi-interesting. I think the general consensus in America is that she's sweet and innocent and well dressed. This book sheds some light on the Royal's consistent enjoyment of clubs and partying. I honestly don't respect her as much after reading this. Ignorance was bliss for me. Also, the first five chapters are tireless amounts of genealogy that I ended up skipping. Unless you're very curious about Kate up until being married, I wouldn't recommend this book.
Alise (Read Write Repeat)
Read my full thoughts over at Read.Write.Repeat.

Saccharine and practically giddy, this biography seemed more of a fan's ravings than a look at the real person and life behind the public eye; but, it was still about Kate, so I can't hate it completely.
Trina
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
interesting read about the world of royalty. it's so unreal it feels like fiction! I skipped much of the history befoe william and kate started dating. way too in-depth history of their ancestry for me.
Erika
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
I skipped the first part about her ancestors and the rest was ok but not great. Lots of stories about her with exact dates and times that she did this or drank that. Wouldn't want her life, that's for sure!
Jessica
Jun 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
The genealogy section went on FOREVER and then when we finally did get to Kate, it was boring stuff you can read in any newspaper or magazine. Interviews with random people who interacted with her when she was ten. Long-winded, boring, derivative and completely lacking in insight. Don't bother.
ViolaMaths
Enjoyed this! The first half is basically a "Who Do You Think You Are" of Kate Middleton and the second a potted history of her courtship with Prince William (or, at least, the bits the author could get hold of)!

Glimpses into many different worlds!
Lorraine
VERY interesting book with much info about Kate's ancestors, as well as her romance with Prince William.
Aliya
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a good start if you want to know more about Kate Middleton, bit boring in the middle but slightly entertaining! :)
Caroline Mcphail-Lambert
For the most part an enjoyable read.

Loved reading the family lineage of Kate, but the name-dropping at the end got a little tedious.
Eryn
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I debated giving this book only 2 stars, but the first half that explains Kate's lineage was well researched and interesting to me. The second half seemed less polished and more like a giant tabloid. I enjoyed it for what it was, but that's about it.
Sandra Zakss
Enjoyed reading about Kate's families history.
Karen
Jun 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting.
Susan
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British royal family groupies
Shelves: biography
I read this on my laptop over two days. There is an extensive genealogy of Catherine Middleton which was new material for me. Worth a quick read.
Betty
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what I was expecting, but, this was not good.
Helen
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much irrelevant detail
Caristy Olson
Interesting to read about her family genealogy and royal genealogy but no talking about Kate really. Okay book.
Nada
Trashy but very entertaining
Christine Brown
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: royalty
Not great literature but I gave it five stars because I love reading about the Royal Family.
Hilary
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much about her great great great whatever long ago family. I would rather have heard about her generation and maybe up to her grandparents. Still interesting.
Elizabeth
  • Ronnie and Nancy: Their Path to the White House--1911 to 1980
  • Our Last Best Chance: The Pursuit of Peace in a Time of Peril
  • Prince William: Born to be King
  • A King's Story: The Memoirs of the Duke of Windsor
  • The Complete Valley of the Kings: Tombs and Treasures of Ancient Egypt's Royal Burial Site
  • The Woman Before Wallis: Prince Edward, the Parisian Courtesan, and the Perfect Murder
  • The Queen Mother: The Official Biography