Start by marking “Natural Health after Birth: The Complete Guide to Postpartum Wellness” as Want to Read:
Natural Health after Birth: The Complete Guide to Postpartum Wellness

Natural Health after Birth: The Complete Guide to Postpartum Wellness

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Provides essential advice for adjusting to the many challenges facing women during the first year after giving birth.

• Offers practical tips for finding balance between being fully immersed in the beautiful but demanding path of motherhood and maintaining a sense of self.

• Provides helpful herbal tips and recipes and includes gentle yoga exercises.

• Addresses a new moth
Published January 1st 2002 by Healing Arts Press

To ask other readers questions about Natural Health after Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Health after Birth

Karen
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite books on motherhood. So wise and comforting to read during postpartum
Carissa
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-books
I would have liked to have sat and read this book from cover to cover, but I am pretty tired of reading baby books in general so I skimmed it.
It includes references to women in other cultures and how they handle the postpartum period, which I found very interesting. There are several recipes for herbal baths, supplements, rubs, ointments and nutritious dishes. I will copying some of these recipes into my own repertoire.

Notes:
"mother roasting" goes beyond keeping the ambient temperature warm... i
Valerie
Aug 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
thought this would be helpful, even though I'm on baby #5, but really, the first couple chapters talk about how women in our culture will be abandoned and feel incompetent. After that, most of the info was a big "DUH" to me. Might be helpful for a 1st time mom, though. The only parts I found remotely useful were the herbal recipes... One part kinda grossed me out though- it said if your breasts are engorged with milk and baby can't latch on, let your partner suckle at your breasts as long as he ...more
treva
Aug 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
Be prepared to spend 200+ pages being told that you will feel abandoned, incompetent, and unconfident for a minimum 8 months. As a brand new first-time mom, is this REALLY what she thinks I need to hear? Believe me, I am aware that this will be a lot of work, for the rest of my life, and that there will be many times, as there are already, when I don't feel like I have the slightest clue what I'm doing. But perhaps focusing on those mindsets is not exactly the most effective way to encourage me. ...more
Amanda
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby
This would be more useful and helpful if I were already more versed in natural health. As I am, it was kind of intimidating. It's a good reference, though I don't know if I would buy it. Again, if I were more familiar with using herbs, etc., already, I might feel more comfortable. Very interesting info re: breastfeeding, and I have to admit that I wish I had saved my placenta to try powdering it. Yes, some might say that is gross. Oh well.
Angeline
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Everyone should read this - whether you are becoming a mother for the 1st/2nd/3rd time or have someone around you who is becoming a mother. Aviva gently writes about mom, new baby and the post-partum period which is often forgotten or rushed in our culture. I only wish I had read this before I had Oli! This will definitely come in handy for the next time. She also has great herbal suggestions - from teas to baths.
Stephanie
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: bfw-reading
This book was so crammed with information, it was like she was trying to say everything and ended up saying nothing at all.
Very unlike her Natural Pregnancy Book in flow. I can see how this would be hard for a new mother to sort through for the bits she needs, although there is value in it for someone willing to take the time to hunt for it.
Juliana Rodrigues
Be gentle with yourself during the postpartum period is the main message that I got from this book. Complemented with many suggestions of how to do it and why it is important to pay attention to many aspects of a new mother's well being.
A good complement for the parenting books collection out there where the main focus is on the baby.
Becky
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
Highly recommended for moms to be. Practical advice and recommendations for preparing for motherhood and those seemingly impossible days and weeks postpartum. Better to overly prepare emotionally than feel stuck in a breakdown.
Rebecca Blankenship Papin
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Audrey Hoff
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very helpful.
Shelly
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Aviva Jill Romm really brings home the essential point of the importance of pamering a recovering postpartum mother. Great for any expectant mom, or friend or family of an expectant mom.
Melissa Matthewson
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Every new mother should have this book on hand for right after the birth of her baby. It helped me through some really down days after my son was born.
Amy
This should be essential reading for every new mom-to-be and those who will be her support system as a new mom!
Michele Karmartsang
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent bedside companion for the after birth time.
Heather
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was recommended by our postpartum doula, and it was a good book to read as a first-time mommy. I appreciated the homeopathic suggestions to address various aspects of postpartum care.
Tracy
missy jean
Nov 14, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature
  • Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year (Wise Woman Herbal Series, #1)
  • The Doula Advantage: Your Complete Guide to Having An Empowered and Positive Birth With the Help of a Professional Childbirth Assistant
  • Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby, Naturally: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • Heart and Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
  • Birthing from within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
  • After the Baby's Birth: A Complete Guide for Postpartum Women
  • Homebirth: The Essential Guide to Giving Birth Outside of the Hospital
  • The Doula Book: How A Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have A Shorter, Easier, And Healthier Birth
  • Labor Progress Handbook: Early Interventions to Prevent and Treat Dystocia
  • Bestfeeding: How to Breastfeed Your Baby
  • Gentle Birth Choices
  • Holistic Midwifery : Care During Pregnancy Vol. 1
  • Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First
  • Your Amazing Newborn

“1 ounce dried comfrey leaf 1 ounce yarrow blossoms 1 ounce dried sage leaf 1 ounce dried rosemary leaf 1 large fresh bulb of garlic ½ cup of sea salt” 1 likes
“good listener whom you can talk to about anything, as many times as you need to, and confidentially   Time and space for solitude and reflection   Someone who is willing to guard your privacy   To feel protected, honored, and nurtured   Reassurance that you are doing a good job   Noncritical support and advice   Praise and encouragement   Time-out now and then for a bath, a shower, or a quiet moment   Good, healthy food   Plenty of rest   Respect for your emotions” 1 likes