Start by marking “Rapunzel and the Seven Dwarfs: A Maynard Moose Tale” as Want to Read:
Rapunzel and the Seven Dwarfs: A Maynard Moose Tale

Rapunzel and the Seven Dwarfs: A Maynard Moose Tale (Maynard Moose Tales)

"Once upon a time, a long, long time ago..." So begins the story of... Rapunzel?... and The Seven, or Eight, or NINE Dwarfs?!? Hey, what's going on here??? Welcome to the slightly off-track world of Maynard Moose and the ancient Mother Moose tales. Willy Claflin channels and translates these tales for our entertainment and enlightenment--or maybe just to confuse us. Rapunz ...more
Hardcover, with audio CD, 36 pages
Published April 16th 2011 by August House

To ask other readers questions about Rapunzel and the Seven Dwarfs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rapunzel and the Seven Dwarfs

Rebekah
Jan 18, 2012 Rebekah rated it liked it
A very silly story. I read it to my six year old. It actually does not read very easily off the tongue because sounds like a six year old wrote it. But fun reading anyway.
Laurie
Nov 17, 2011 Laurie rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This was one of those books where it looks like something I would like but it just didn't work for me. The supposedly clever premise just seemed awkward instead of funny and entertaining.
LastLibrarian
Nov 10, 2016 LastLibrarian rated it it was amazing
Get the audio CD for these books. The narrator is great.
Colette
Jan 07, 2017 Colette rated it it was amazing
I love Willy's crazy moose stories! Rapunzel does not disappoint!
Gabby Mondelli
Sep 14, 2015 Gabby Mondelli rated it liked it
Shelves: wow-books
I remembered hearing a few Mother Moose tales a while back, but only knew of them as told by a folk artist and his moose puppet, so when I stumbled upon a collection of “Maynard Moose Tales” books by Willy Claflin I wondered if they were one in the same. Thankfully, they are. While these books can be difficult read alouds for teachers who have never heard them in their original form, they are wonderfully funny when heard aloud, beautifully illustrated, and can be found on Youtube and Tumblebooks ...more
Tasha
Jul 21, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a Maynard Moose tale just like The Uglified Duckling. This fractured fairy tale takes Rapunzel and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and mixes them wildly together into quite a story. Readers who know both stories will enjoy this most, because of the silliness of the mash up. Here Rapunzel is a girl who has trouble keeping her long tresses clean, so a helpful witch puts her in a tower. She is discovered by a portly knight who attempts to climb her hair, but instead due to his bulk, la ...more
Jessica Gilligan
Sep 16, 2014 Jessica Gilligan rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Clafin, Willy. (2011). Rapunzel and the Seven Dwarfs: A Maynard Moose Tale. August House.

Tumblebook

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. The narrator, a silly moose with an interesting dialect, made the book much more fun to read (and listen to). I don't think I would enjoy this book as much if I wasn't able to hear the audio. The story is a mix between Rapunzel and Snow White, but with a few humorous changes to make it more of a spoof. Some of the seven dwarfs' names have changed, fo
Nick
This book is a beautifully crafted bad idea. The Maynard Moose stories are really great when performed live, with Willy and Maynard right there in front of you, with Maynard's delightfully mangled words and phrases. On stage, Maynard is a believable master of malaprops. Like any good storyteller and puppeteer, Willy Claflin draws the audience into believing in Maynard, which is what brings the audience along through his convoluted word misuses and moose-made neologisms.
The thing is, the humor of
Rachel
Dec 10, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
As I was reading this, I could imagine reading this with children and it was just brilliant. I liked how it was unique and funny tale about Rapunzel and 7"ish" dwarves. Well-done.
Melanie
Maynard Moose is a storyteller in this "Maynard Moose" tale. The book opens with a glossary of moose words and explanations. The tale begins with a Rapunzel-type character wanting a haircut because her long gold hair is constantly getting snagged and picking up the glop in the street. But the witch who does hair can't get it right, so she locks Punzel in a tower. A handsome prince walks by and ends up flipping her out of the tower because he "weighs 512lbs!" She lands in a pond where the oddly n ...more
Dolly
Apr 03, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2013
This is an entertaining story that offers an interesting twist on the classic story of Rapunzel, with the dwarfs from Snow White fame.

We listened to the story narrated on CD by the author, Willy Claflin, and I have to admit that I was glad that I didn't have to actually say all of the mispronounciations and poor grammar - they were charming as we listened to the kermit-the-frog-like moose voice of Maynard Moose, but would've irritated me to no end had I read them aloud.

Overall the story is quit
Kelly
Apr 01, 2015 Kelly added it
Kelly Wiegand
April 1, 2015
EDL54500 Library Materials for Children and Youth

Title: Rapunzel and the Seven Dwarfs: A Maynard Moose Tale

Author: Willy Claflin

Plot: Maynard Moose tells the tale of a bald princess, a fat prince, and dwarfs who charge admission to see the sleeping princess.

Setting: Kingdom

Characters: Maynard Moose; The Seven Dwarfs; Rapunzel

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Themes: Thinking out of the box; Creativity

Style: I listened to this story on TumbleBooks with my kids, so there was a
Miss Ryoko
May 20, 2011 Miss Ryoko rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Words cannot express how much I love Maynard Moose! And while the stories are always fun, they are really super fantastic with the audio cd. Maynard is so wonderful!

I laughed so hard on the page when the Seven Dwarfs showed up... "Well, about that time, the seven dwarfs come by, on their way home from digging gold in the mountain. There was Clumsy, Snoozy, Cheeful, Fearful, Hyper, Hungry, Grizelda, Ambidextrous, and sometimes Bewildered... There were eight or nine seven dwarfs."

OMG.... pure gold
Kathy
Feb 26, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
This book was funny. My six year old daughter loved it and I think it will likely be a hit with my 10 year old son as well. It's a fractured fairy tale complete with a bald Rapunzel, 9 dwarfs and a 512 lb. prince. It's pointless, told with poorly written grammar & made up words and has no moral to the story. It's just humourous, silly story.

If I had to actually read this book I wouldn't have loved it nearly as much as I did. Thankfully it comes with a Audio CD where the author reads it to us
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I am typically very hesitant to post a review that is more negative. I realize that different people have different thoughts about what is great and what is not. However, I was surprised by this book. It is a twist on the Rapunzel story. I think I was most bothered by the text that appeared by be intentionally written in grammatically poor English. There is a place for that when done well and with a purpose but this didn't seem to meet either of those criteria.
Mandy
Oct 25, 2013 Mandy rated it it was amazing
I brought this home and sent the audio book upstairs with my son to bed. We let him listen to a short audiobook after we read books each night. Every night he's listened to this story, we listened to him cracking up in bed. Finally last night I snuggled in to listen along, and it did NOT disappoint. Hilarious re-telling of several fairy-tales smashed into a new one. My favorite dwarf is "Sometimes Bewildered" since, aren't we all at times?
Mindy
Nov 05, 2011 Mindy rated it really liked it
I haven't commented on any children's books, but I have decided if I come across good ones, I am going to. So, my first one is a book Scott took to the kids classes at school and read to them at Halloween. This story is adorable and one of the cutest things about it, is how the author reads it. There is a CD in the back of the book so you can listen to him read the story in the voice of Maynard Moose. The kids loved it!
Wellington
Sep 21, 2011 Wellington rated it really liked it

This makes for a great bedtime reading story for little kids. It's fun and silly. The story creatively mixes up the stories of Snow White, Rapunzel, and Sleeping Beauty into one.

The book is narrated by a moose who doesn't speak English correctly. This could be a stickler for some and not the best book if you're trying to teach someone to read.
Miri
Dec 07, 2012 Miri rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
What an interesting book. The Moose "dialect" got on my nerves after a while (and I wasn't even listening to the audio; I put it in long enough to hear what it sounded like and then just read myself), but the subversion of the typical fairy tale stories was very fun.
Bethe
While this one is cute, it isn't nearly as good as The Uglified Ducky. Maybe good ole Maynard Moose is taking on too much by mashing up the traditional tales of Rapunzel and Snow White. If using this book with students, be sure to listen the cd instea of reading it aloud.
Terra Bowers snavely
Aug 13, 2013 Terra Bowers snavely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My kiddos loved this book. My husband didn't really like reading it to them because of the made up words and preferred letting them listen to the CD instead, but I don't mind reading it.

So clever and funny! Disgustified wudgies of glop is now in our vocabulary.
Jill
Great fractured fairy tale. Would be a great read aloud to older kids who are familiar with these fairy tales. I think they'll find the odd grammar and "moose" words funny. I'll test that theory out on my 8 and 10 yo!
Deborah
Apr 10, 2012 Deborah rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
a blend of stories (good model for that perhaps) and a funny voice. The CD that comes along with it allows us to hear the moose's voice, while the text shows his obvious bias toward moose. Fun and funny.
Rachel
Sep 08, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is a fun kids book! The story makes me laugh out loud every time. It's also fun to read it aloud because of the way that it's written. It comes with an audio CD so you can hear it straight from Maynard the Moose too. Everyone should read this!
Nancy Jo Lambert
The Maynard Moose Tales never fail to engage children with the silliness and fun of fractured fairy tales, special dialect, and a perfectly conceptualized read aloud quality. Kids who loved the Uglified Duckling will no doubt relate to this one. This will be a fun read aloud for grades 2-4 I think!
Maquoketa
Oct 17, 2014 Maquoketa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: colleens-books
A super funny books that is read by the author on Tumble Books; a wonderful service provided by the Maquoketa Public Library. This book really comes alive and the writing is so much fun when read out loud.
heather
Sep 15, 2014 heather rated it it was ok
Read this thru TumbleBooks Library so it read it to me. Wasn't thrilled with the poor grammar and made up words, but I'm looking at it as a teaching thing as opposed to pure enjoyment. Fractured fairy tale. The pop ups were distracting for my 4 yr old. He wasn't impressed.
Shelley
Oct 16, 2011 Shelley rated it it was amazing
The whole family loved this book. Boys laughed so hard they had to stop mid-book and get a drink! :) I'm totally buying copies of this for Christmas presents.
Melissa
Dec 28, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
The most interesting children's book I've read in a long time...not to be compared with Dr. Seuss however.
Heather
Sep 24, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Plenty silly. I was disappointed that the cd was missing from the book I borrowed, but I loved Maynard Moose's fractured fairytale.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door
  • Little Red Quacking Hood (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake Believe #2)
  • Don't Read This Book!
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • A Place to Call Home
  • Moo Who?
  • Mrs. Biddlebox
  • Sleepless Knight
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Naked!
  • except if
  • Minerva Louise and the Colorful Eggs
  • Dangerous!

Maynard Moose Tales (8 books)
  • Maynard Moose Tales