Start by marking “47 Echo” as Want to Read:
47 Echo

47 Echo

(47 Echo)

Russia, 2019. Combined Chinese and North Korean forces have taken increasing amounts of territory in a war that is devastating the world.

Nick Morrow is a convict conscript assigned to 47 Echo—a suicide squad. No one cares whether they live or die, as long as they complete their missions. Under the command of a Marine Corps with nothing but contempt for its squadron of felo
Published January 17th 2011 by Carina Press (first published December 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 47 Echo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 47 Echo

Start your review of 47 Echo
Jess the Romanceaholic
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of action-packed military and war stories,
Normally, the only books I read are romance novels -- paranormal romance, contemporary romance, historical/period romance, romantic suspense, romantic fantasy, GLBT romance, you name it, but it's always romance.

When I read the blurb for 47 Echo, however, I was intrigued enough to give a non-romance a shot.

I'm very glad that I did.

This book was amazing. The slightly futuristic world was fantastic, the characters were given depth, the pacing and the action kept you on the edge of your seat for th
Shirin Dubbin
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
The motley squad of hardknock convicts/soldiers in 47 ECHO kept me equally enthralled and on edge, one explosive mission on the tail of another. There's no doubt war is hell but in this Military SF adventure it's a helluva good time too.
Kelly
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2011
You're going to have to let me work out my thoughts on this review because in a lot of ways this isn't the type of book that I normally read. There might be some rambling. Then again, there might not be. Oh, who am I kidding, I go off on tangents on every other review I put up, why would this one be any different?

Here's the thing, while I enjoy a good space battle, a good street fight, a good witch vs. demon showdown in the streets, I very rarely dive into books that are almost straight military
Brenda
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
In a futuristic society, Nick Morrow is a convict who is assigned to 47 Echo, a suicide squad in war-torn Russia. 47 Echo has only the hardest criminals, and from the start you get the sense that Nick doesn't really belong. He's smart and has a great analytical mind, but he's half Chinese, and in a world where China attacked the U.S., that doesn't do him any favors. This one grabbed me right from the start.

Nick is a great character, and was definitely one that I could really root for. There were
Cringe
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book, but did have to force myself to ignore many things to actually finish it. There are sometimes errors in books, be it a typo or two either missed by an editor or created by the publisher when converting it from one format to another. There are sometimes errors of a factual nature that exist because the author failed to do the proper research. I am aware that in reading fiction you need to exercise your suspension of disbelief, however, I did find it a bit exhausting initially. ...more
Erik Sapp
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-fiction
This book is not at all realistic. As other reviewers have said, it just does not make sense that someone with no real military training turns out to be a tactical and strategic genius. However, the book is just FUN! Action-packed and entertaining, with some humor thrown in. The reader does a good job of giving the major characters their own voice, which helps. All of that said, it isn't perfect. There are a lot of characters to keep track of, and (as I said above) it isn't at all realistic. But ...more
Scooby Doo
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Simplistic military action with a slight futuristic twist and the novel angle of a platoon of convicts unwilling conscripted to fight. Not quite as macho and testosterone laden as most of the weapon-fetishizing entries in this genre. And thankfully less profanity than most. The action is so prominent and the characters so hastily drawn that this can be easily construed as a comic book. I quit halfway through.
Scott
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Good action oriented storyline. The hero was a little too untouchable at times. But clearly it was good enough to keep me entertained and reading.
Veronica DelaCruz-Araki
Woo hoo!!
There were a few places that made me go, "What? Uh-uh. Not possible."
However, it was a fast paced, action packed thrill ride!
Larry Corn
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. The idea behind it is very believable. One of the best and

most descriptive books that shows how people really fight a war. They don't do it for mom or Apple pie, they do it for their friends.
Tad
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, thriller, sci-fi
I stumbled across this book when it was mentioned in a book discussion thread. I went to the website to check it out. There was an excerpt available and after the first few paragraphs, I was hooked.

47 Echo is about a near future war against the Chinese and North Koreans that is going so badly that prisoners are being offered the opportunity to fight in exchange for freedom. The worst of the worst, the murderers, are assigned to Echo. Nick Morrow is the latest recruit. Echo gets the assignments s
Lukas Lovas
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Initially, I was very excited to read this book. It captured my imagination, and I had dreams of hardship that binds, of struggle and victory. And the book gave all that....but in a slightly different way. The story was there, no doubt about it. And it has a lot to offer. But story isn't all....and for me, there was a little something missing from this book. I didn't feel the struggle. The author wrote about it, people died, limbs were thorn away...and yet, I felt nothing. Somehow, the whole con ...more
Jacqueline J
First let me just say that the word smirked is not a synonym for said. It was absolutely jarring how often the dialog was spattered with "he smirked" in place of "he said." Probably 20 or 30 times in the book. That's a lot of smirking.

Barring that I really liked this near future military thriller. The main idea of using convicts for cannon fodder was really interesting. The setting of a war with China was plausible. The future tech seemed a rational extrapolation of current technologies. The sto
Katie
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
47 Echo is one of the most unputdownable books I have read in a long time. At first I was a little hesitant to start reading. With a premise that convicts are given the option of death or being impressed into the armed forces to fill ranks being rapidly depleted by a war with China and Korea, I figured the book would be ultra violent and disturbing. BUT 47 Echo wasn’t at all what I expected. It ended up being a great military thriller about redemption in the face of sure death.

J.L. Hilton
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it, in spite of being the kind of book I wouldn't normally enjoy -- near-future military science fiction that felt more like a video game than a novel. No love story, lots of driving about in military vehicles and shooting things up, cool characters but not much character development. Not to say that's a bad thing. I've recommended it to several people (males and military gamers...) because it would suit them perfectly. :)
Jen
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Free download.

In general I really enjoyed the concept of this book. It was a quick read and I was interested to see what happened.

What brought my rating down to 3 stars was that despite the book's obvious potential, it just seemed a bit superficial. Not that every military action thriller needs to go into the detail that a Tom Clancy novel does, but this one just seemed to gloss over dialogue and situations a little too much.
Karin Wollina
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, bought
just read it again (the first time I had the audiobook) and I really very much like the MC and the story. I still had the same problem with the many acronyms especially since I am not so used to the military.
I am still very surprised that it was published at Carinapress since I didm`t find any romance in it.
But they sure know good books !
JoAnn Jordan
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story this book tells is great. I would have probably given it a five if it was not for the over and inappropriate use of the word smirked throughout the novel. The tale of a group of convicts made soldiers and their exploits is well told. Most of it seems very authentic.

I recommend this novel to those looking for a good futuristic read. I enjoyed the book.
Piotr Mierzejewski
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A military techno-thriller with a unique twist, 47 ECHO is about a possible world war between the United States and China. But there's a twist, some of the front-line U.S. troops are conscripted convicts. Fast paced and well developed, Shawn Kupfer manages to portray a near future world without the info dumping. My only wish is that there will be a sequel.
Anandh Sundar
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Since the age of the Romans, to Genghis Khan and beyond, armies have used conscripts as their cannon fodder. The author has twisted this conventional plot a bit. The action scenes as such are like any other book on SEALSs, Marines etc, but the unique setting and end, earns this 5 stars. Also, with hardly 250 pages, the book is written very concisely.
Chris Davis
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent book! The only problems I had with it was the overuse of profanity and the homosexual couple in it (I'm a Christian with a very closed-minded view on certain issues), as well as the fact that it ended too soon. Still, a good read!
Karen
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any who likes Platoon type stories
This story is about a group of convicts conscripted into a war against China and North Korea. The story starts out a little slow so I was dubious about the rest of it. But, when it started moving, wow! The pace picked up in short order and kept you entranced right to the end.
Joshua
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Good, fast read about a future war with China and N.Korea where we have to help out the Russians from the invading Chicomm. Written like a soldier would think, a tiny bit juvenile, and the author gets some geography stuff wrong, but otherwise it's an alright read.
Greg
I thought this was a pretty darn good book. This is one of my favorite kinds, the reluctant hero, who in the end does the right thing for him and his team, kicking ass while doing so.

If you like military scicene fiction (of the ground pounder varity) then you'll probably like this book...
Loren
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quick, not very heavy but very enjoyable. You'll fly through it in a few days and enjoy it. Not very deep as far as technical military thrillers go and there's a few things left unexplained and unanswered (like why we are at war in the first place) but the story is still enjoyable.
Nicole Luiken
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, ebook
Military SF. Premise: U.S. at war with China, fighting on U.S. soil with convict troops. Read this one in a day. Likeable main character, lots of action, well-done military background. Looking forward to the sequel Supercritical.

Minor quibble: the word smirk was overused
Mark V2
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Fairly good--reads like a 1st effort (don't know)from an author with talent to be honed. Interesting premise. Liked the leadership depiction.
Tad Hanson
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the better near future science fiction apocalyptic books out there. I really enjoyed this book. It doesn’t fit real well into any sub-genre, but does not need to.
Shona
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, action, audio, military
I really enjoyed this audio book :)
Jodie Bienvenu
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shallow characters. No real plot. Repetitive adjective use.

• Chasing Darkness (Elvis Cole, #12)
  • The Cleaner (Jonathan Quinn, #1)
  • All Things Left Wild
  • The First Rule (Elvis Cole, #13; Joe Pike, #2)
  • A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley, #1)
  • Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar, #2)
  • Forty Signs of Rain (Science in the Capital #1)
  • The Bear
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
  • Say Nothing
  • Underground (The Tube Riders #1)
  • Native Son
  • The Watchman (Elvis Cole, #11; Joe Pike, #1)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • Neptune Crossing (Chaos Chronicles, #1)
  • When These Mountains Burn
  • The Sentry (Elvis Cole, #14; Joe Pike, #3)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
Shawn Kupfer was born on Ellsworth Air Force Base in the Rapid City, South Dakota area in July 1978. Most of his childhood was spent bouncing from one military town to another, travelling across the United States and the world on the dime of the U.S. Air Force. In his younger days, he had stints working as a semi-professional kickboxer, a defense contractor, a magazine editor, and a general "pick ...more

47 Echo (3 books)
  • Supercritical
  • Fear and Anger (47 Echo, #3)

News & Interviews