Start by marking “Shameless Exploitation in Pursuit of the Common Good Shameless Exploitation in Pursuit of the Common Good” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  190 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
""There are three rules for running a business; fortunately, we don't know any of them."
"
In 1978, Paul Newman and A.E. Hotchner decided that rather than just distribute Paul's own salad dressing at Christmas to neighbors, they would offer it to a few local stores. Freewheeling, irreverent entrepreneurs, they conceived of theirventure as a great way to poke fun at the mund
nookbook (ebook), 0 pages
Published November 4th 2003 by Nan A. Talese (first published January 1st 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about Shameless Exploitation in Pursuit of the Common Good Shameless Exploitation in Pursuit of the Common Good

Patti
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has come out in paperback with the title of "In Pursuit of the Common Good: Twenty-Five Years of Improving the World, One Bottle of Salad Dressing at a Time". This was a fun book to read which both made me laugh and tear up. What Newman and Hotchner accomplished by just being themselves and making practical decisions is truly amazing. Their journey from making salad dressing to donating 200 million to charity illustrates that when people see a thing that makes sense in its goals and ho ...more
Jessica Rick
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mba
Since most of my reading revolves around the graduate program I am in, there are only a few gems that are worthy of sharing. This book happens to be one of them. I was struck by the tenacity with which the authors pursued their goals and their unselfish endeavors. They snubbed marketers and pretty much did things their way in order to get the Newman's Own food line on store shelves. And then they went one step further: they gave all their profits to charity and conceived and executed the Hole in ...more
Barbm1020
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful tale of some (famous) people who thought it was important to do things right, and the surprising success of their endeavors. Now I want salad! With Newman's Own Dressing.
Raven Genevieve
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book as a gift and initially started reading it out of obligation. THANK GOD I was given this book! Hotchner's writing style was not only entertaining, but the stories and adventures of these two men were absolutely hilarious at times! This book is a truly unique story that involves lots of trial and error and the kind of "this one time" kind of stories that I remember listening to my Dad and his friends telling. There are just some things that you can't experience on your own, ...more
Jon C Manzo
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anybody who has been in a grocery store in the last 3 decades has, no doubt, come across some of the Newman's Own products; salad dressing, pasta sauce, popcorn. The products are always high quality and (comparatively) healthy. The story of how these products came into being and how they have made stacks of money for charity and helped create the Hole in the Wall Gang Camps (and done so while not making a single penny of profits for Paul Newman and A.E. Hotchner), is a nifty tale of good intenti ...more
John Branney
The book started out strong when it told the story about inventing and marketing the salad dressing. The story was a nice mix of fact and humor. As the book continued it ran out of gas about midway and it was a struggle to finish.

What these two men did was commendable - I am not talking about the salad dressing - I am talking about them giving most of the profits to charity.

One thumb up.
Christy
Amusing, fun to read at least at first. Not much to learn here really, maybe go for it even if everyone says no? It's an admirable venture, and one I wholeheartedly support, but it IS based on a movie star's name. But reading about every single camp at the end got very redundant. I'm happy to know about the foundation and what they do, but I kind of feel I wasted my time reading the whole thing.
Peggy Bechko
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the quick read on the origins of Newman's Own products and the charities it benefits. It may well have all been one big accident, but what an accident!

You'll enjoy the adventures of "PL" and "Hotch" as they pull together first the recipes for Newman's Own, then the 'business' (sort of), then the charitable connections.

Definitely worth reading.
Cory
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book about a lovely company. Interesting little stories about Paul Newman and others in starting Newman's Own. Also a nice read for those interested in thinking outside the box in the business world.
Liisa
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Newman fans...a nice overview of how he started his philanthropic venture, Newman's Own. You'll cry from the reading the thank-you's from terminally ill children, the openings of camps across the world, and his incessant attempts at doing more. You'll smile, because he's just so cool!
Tiffany Malcom
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to read this ever since I worked at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp in 2010. It was fun to learn more about how the camp got started . . . who knew salad dressing could brighten the lives of thousands of sick children around the world?
Andrea
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a light hearted book with the (lack of) the business plan that started a multi-million dollar company. The authors are humorous and truthful. This book reads easily and rather quickly. Truly an enjoyable read.
SR
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic
Quick and silly. Not great for me because food bores me and sick children make me overly emotional, but the base content was good. The first third is a bit too much like a sales pitch; it really comes into its own in the section about the Hole in the Wall Gang Camps.
Karen
How 2 friends create a business that grows to huge proportions, then becomes the vehicle to a wonderful charity. Eventually evolving into a camp for terminally ill children. Also shows a celeb can give back to society.
Faith
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just stayed up 5 hours later than I intended to and read this book in one sitting. How is a book about salad dressing this interesting?! Seriously, I really enjoyed it.
Collette
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a laugh out loud, reads like a novel, adventure! Loved every bit of it. Great people have great stories. I'll never season my beef again. Don't mess with the meat!!
Mary
A fun, easy read.
Sara
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome. How could it not be??
Carroll Straus
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast but lovely read. I meant to read this ages ago-- now I am really sorry I didn't. GREAT book. Read it to be inspired, read it to laugh, read it to marvel at what a unique human being this was.
John
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book written with wit, charm, and an interesting mix of humor and pathos. The final chapters on "The Common Good" were particularly moving.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on entrepreneurial success stories for the knowledge worker or aspiring entrepreneur.
Susan
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was smart and witty and light hearted. i thought it was a great read, but unless you are a fan of Newman, it may be a boring read.
Shonna Froebel
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, culture
Very good and slightly silly
Jessica
An inspiring read with a very engaging light voice. Makes you want to go into business with your best friend and if you didn't love Paul Newman already this may seal the deal for you.
Candace
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful in every way-- engaging, warm, humorous and inspires me in the pursuit of meaningful living in my personal life.
amelia
Jun 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proving that Paul Newman can do no wrong, but quite a bit of right.
Gerald Chan
Apr 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood
  • You're Hired: How to Succeed in Business and Life
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • Innovation Nation: How America Is Losing Its Innovation Edge, Why It Matters, and What We Can Do to Get It Back
  • Just Call Me Mike: A Journey to Actor and Activist
  • Bob Hope: My Life In Jokes
  • Essential Muir: A Selection of John Muir's Best Writings
  • When Fish Fly: Lessons for Creating a Vital and Energized Workplace from the World Famous Pike Place Fish Market
  • Body Language: 7 Easy Lessons To Master The Silent Language
  • The Zigzag Principle: The Goal Setting Strategy That Will Revolutionize Your Business and Your Life
  • Raw Family
  • Luck or Something Like It
  • The New Wellness Revolution: How to Make a Fortune in the Next Trillion Dollar Industry
  • Mind Set!: Reset Your Thinking and See the Future
  • The Joy of Drinking
  • The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age
  • Intellectual Property
Paul Leonard Newman was an American actor, film director, entrepreneur, humanitarian and auto racing enthusiast. He won numerous awards, including an Academy Award, two Golden Globe Awards, a Screen Actors Guild Award, a Cannes Film Festival Award, an Emmy award, and many honorary awards. He also won several national championships as a driver in Sports Car Club of America road racing and his race ...more
More about Paul Newman...