Start by marking “The Investment Answer: Learn to Manage Your Money & Protect Your Financial Future” as Want to Read:

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  896 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
What if there were a way to cut through all the financial mumbo-jumbo? Wouldn't it be great if someone could really explain to us-in plain and simple English-the basics we must know about investing in order to insure our financial freedom?

At last, here's good news.

Jargon-free and written for all investors-experienced, beginner, and everyone in between-THE INVESTMENT ANSWE
Published January 12th 2011 by Business Plus (first published January 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Investment Answer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Investment Answer

Jane
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Where I got the book: my local library.

Trying to get a better handle on money...a bit late possibly at 53! This book was recommended to me by a financial advisor. It's very much oriented to the stock market rather than money management as a whole (and explains why) but for a short read I found it to be pretty thought-provoking. It promotes a very straightforward, unaggressive approach to investing which, while it probably won't make anyone rich, is less likely to leave you with an empty portfoli
Jo
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad gave me this book in 2011. I thought it was ok, though he wrote all over the margins never to use a financial advisor so I'm not sure this book where they recommend financial advisors (as financial advisors themselves not shocking) was the best choice. Was a little annoyed by the male pronoun throughout, never gender neutral or she. Women need an investment answer too!
Amy
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, easy read about the basics of financial investing.
Paul Eckert
To call this book the investment “answer” is a bit of a misnomer. Or rather, it would’ve helped to know what the “question” was.

There are no hard and fast answer in this book, as the title may lead one to believe. Of course, there are no easy answers when it comes to investing, and this book admits this up front. Rather, the aim of The Investment Answer is to simplify the various facets of investing into a set of decisions one must make, and this the authors do very well.

According to the autho
Mariah
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad gave me this book like 5 years ago and annotated it. It took me one subway ride from cobble hill to the upper west side to read it. Very accessible, makes investing seem simple and like something you can accomplish without much experience just with simple guidelines.
Viraj
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: finance-etc
One of the two authors (Dan) was Wimbledon quarter-finalist! The book has good information succinctly given with a good financial advice similar to the ones by John Bogle and Burton Malkiel. in short, invest in stock market with index funds with good diversification (international vs. US, stocks and bonds) and keep rebalancing annually to match / beat the market over the long term. Avoid timing the market and high fee / trading. Excellent succinct and good advice for most folks.
Drew
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book about investing. Debunks a lot of the mystery. I'll read it again.
Claudio
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must, business, money
It takes around one hour to read and it's a must if you don't know where to start with your investment strategies.
Erica
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yep, I need to get a financial planner.
Kaylah Hancock
This was a short, simple book to get your feet wet about investment. There wasn't much that I learned from the book, but that is because I majored in finance and this knowledge is pretty much ingrained into you. This would be a good book for someone who doesn't know a thing about investing and it gets the mind thinking.

It was a good and bad thing that it was so short. On one hand it was concise and got straight to the point (I finished this in about an hour and a half), but on the other hand it
Scott
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book, but that is because I take an active role in managing my money, not just ship it off for someone else to worry about.

It does give somewhat good advice if you don't want to learn anything.

The "answer" is to hire someone else to think about your money.

Oh and diversify against a range of asset classes, stick with index funds, rebalance your holdings at regular intervals.

Solid advice, but could have been given in a couple pages.
Patrick
Sometimes the right answer is boring

JDN 2456440 EDT 11:26.

I found The Investment Answer by Daniel Goldie and Gordon Murray in a rack of free books, and the little softcover is only 70 pages long, so I figured I may as well read it.
I was not disappointed; the book is a concisely written and easily accessible introduction to behavioral finance for anyone who is looking to invest in stocks and bonds. Its answers are rather banal: Buy low, sell high; don't trust your gut, use careful analysis; inve
Flo
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives you superficial information on how to create proper investment portfolios, and doesn't go into much detail with the concepts they introduced in the book. I was a bit disappointed by this, but nonetheless, it's worth a read.
Tally
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-finance
For my first personal investment book, this is a gem. Basically "Investing for Dummies". Read it all in one sitting which is stated as being one of the missions of the book! Great for learning the basics and avoiding behavioural tendencies that can cost you money.
Eric
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Goldie's #1 suggestion: hire a professional investment manager because it is too complicated to manage by yourself.
Goldie's #2 suggestion: invest passively in indices because no manager is able to beat the system.

Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
Incredibly vague, limited information. I've read better overall investment advice/instruction in an article.
Jacob Wadlington
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gets to the point and makes a good point. Explained an investment strategy that you can actually follow.
Annie Sem
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-written book that details (as clearly as possible for a novice), some of the keys everyone can employ in making solid progress with investment goals.
David Ilishah
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, simple but valuable information.
Kevin Koppelmann
A little past my understanding.
Daniel
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Opinion: This book is an essential read for all individuals before they start investing. Fortunes can and will be won or lost by asking the 5 questions outlined. The book is short, simple, and easy to read. That is not a common thing to find among investment books especially for one that digs down into some of the more technical aspects of investing. It is my opinion that the authors were genuine in their intentions when writing this book. My only reservation is to remind the readers that inv ...more
Connor
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Easy read.. If you have any finance and investment background this book offered no new information. Just a lot of pretty obvious statements in my opinion. Also, I believe they underestimated the cost of mutual funds where I have read the average cost (including hidden fees) is around 3.4%. I think this book would be good for someone brand new to investing and finance.
Jeff
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so small that I bought the cheap Kindle version and read it on my computer screen in about an hour. It's definitely a good way to get a decent overview of the basics.

It has a lot of simple advice that makes sense. A few takeaways:

* If you get help, go for an independent fee-only advisor and not a broker.
* Quote:"The right time to invest is when you have the money and the right time to sell is when you need the money."
* Your most important decision is balancing risk by determining ho
thewestchestarian
Goldie & Murray’s short answer to your investment questions: ”seek help”. In this brief little book Goldie & Murray try to convince you that you pretty much have as much chance making money in the stock market as you do saving money at the car dealership. Their view, which is becoming very common, is that professional brokerages (e.g., Goldman Sachs) hold advantages in the stock and bond markets unapproachable by the individual investor and that Main Street’s position in the market is li ...more
David Dickerson
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Investment Answer doesn't contain tricks and tips to beat the market. It provides the opposite.

Here's the author's advice: Run fast and long from all actively-traded investments. Go with lowest-load mutual funds. Diversify, but not too much. Re-balance a couple times a year. Save money. Invest. Do over.

The authors offer many persuasive facts, and I am now convinced that very, very (very!) few people beat the market year after year. The more complex a strategy, the less likely it will get t
Walt
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
This book effectively challenges every popular conception pertaining to personal finance and investment. Condensed into a very small book, the authors systematically argue against active investing and get-rich quick dreams that many investors harbor.

The book is guided by five questions that does not so much answer questions but prepares investors for when meeting financial advisers. The book gives some practical advice - avoid active money managers - but generally offers advice on what to look
Sipho
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very short but insightful guide to investing. The authors succinctly and yet comprehensively serve the reader with helpful tools to navigate various types of investment vehicles. This book is a very good read for anyone interested in grasping the basic principles of investment finance. More than that, however, it is a useful "Beginners Guide to (actually) investing."

The main point, if a single one must be drawn, is that investing has been portrayed as speculative when it is in fact a lot more
Robb
Book is a starting point for investing. There are 5 questions you must ask yourself; invest on your own or with a professional? How will I diversify between stocks, bonds and cash? How should I diversify my portfolio among different categories, ie large cap stocks, small cap stocks, emerging markets, value, etc.? How often should my investments be traded, actively vs passive (this step is about controlling fees and costs to your portfolio) And finally how and when should i rebalance my portfolio ...more
Jason Lim
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those with a non-financial background, I can't recommend this book enough. It covers the basics of portfolio construction and, backed by data, demonstrates how passive investing has consistently outperformed active investing.

Provides a quick overview of some concepts that everyone should know, like modern portfolio theory, efficient markets hypothesis, diversification, portfolio rebalancing, and the differences between equities, fixed income securities and alternative investments.

For those w
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nice and short. Sadly, it is too American to be of optimal use.

Worth remembering:

5 decisions to make:

1. DIY or use investment professional? (choose an independent fee-only investment professional)

2. asset allocation (cash, short-term domestic & int'l bonds, domestic & int'l stocks)

3. diversification (see #3 above)

4. active or passive (choose passive)

5. rebalancing (choose to rebalance 1-4 times per year)
Research Firm Koyal Group Appoints New Chief Commodities Analyst 1 4 Aug 12, 2013 07:20PM
  • Winning the Loser's Game: Timeless Strategies for Successful Investing
  • Psychology of Investing
  • The Behaviour Gap: Simple Ways to Stop Doing Dumb Things with Money
  • The Elements of Investing
  • Debt-Free by 30: Practical Advice for the Young, Broke, and Upwardly Mobile
  • Rich Habits: The Daily Success Habits of Wealthy Individuals: Find Out How the Rich Get So Rich (the Secrets to Financial Success Revealed)
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • The Investor's Manifesto: Preparing for Prosperity, Armageddon, and Everything in Between
  • The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read: The Simple, Stress-Free Way to Reach Your Investment Goals
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Money and Investing
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Marketing: A Love Story: How to Matter to Your Customers
  • The Top 10 Distinctions Between Millionaires and the Middle Class
  • How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt, and Live Prosperously: Based on the Proven Principles and Techniques of Debtors Anonymous
  • The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get On with Your Life
  • You're So Money: Live Rich, Even When You're Not
  • The Best Investment Advice I Ever Received: Priceless Wisdom from Warren Buffett, Jim Cramer, Suze Orman, Steve Forbes, and Dozens of Other Top Financial Experts
“the right time to invest is when you have the money and the right time to sell is when you need the money.” 0 likes