Start by marking “Runaways, Volume 8: Dead End Kids Digest” as Want to Read:
Runaways, Volume 8: Dead End Kids Digest

Runaways, Volume 8: Dead End Kids Digest (Runaways #8)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  5,783 Ratings  ·  221 Reviews

The kids start running in a different direction. Superstar JOSS WHEDON (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, ASTONISHING X-MEN) and rising star MICHAEL RYAN (NEW EXCALIBUR, NEW X-MEN) take the Runaways to the Big Apple. While there, they make surprising allies and even more surprising enemies.

Runaways #25-30

Published October 10th 2010 by Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (first published July 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, Volume 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways, Volume 8

Terry
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have liked this more if Joss Whedon's name on the cover had been larger.
Scarlet Cameo
Ok, i need to say two things about this volumen, first...I love the covers, i mean look this

(This is my favorite)

The second is about the history...Well i like the story, in fact have really great things (time traveling, new characters, change of place) but, i think that something of the essence is missing, I can't say what, but something isn't working for me. Even more I like what JW does with Chase, is less silly and more interesting, but I in the fact that he uses Gert for this history.

The fi
Nicolo Yu
So Brian K Vaughan left his creation The Runaways to concentrate on other writing work not in Marvel but before he left, he endorsed to the one man he trusted his babies with, Joss Whedon.

It was great that Marvel and Whedon were able to hammer out the details to allow him to work on Runaways despite his heavy workload. Michael Ryan was drafted to provide art and Jo Chen was retained to produce her magnificent covers.

I really liked how Whedon managed to maintain BKV's vision for the characters w
Don
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Um. Was only okay. Joss definitely has the kids' dialogue and personalities down - but boy was there WAY, WAY too much going on in this story! Dozens of new characters allied in multiple factions, at least two time periods, a largely extraneous first act.... You kind of get the feeling that the story was something Joss had thought up separately and then shoehorned the Runaways into as simply an excuse to tell it.

Not *bad* per se, but ... weirdly confusing.

Sesana
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Something is missing here. The previous volume ended with Iron man standing in the Runaways' hideout in LA. This one opens with them trying to hide out in New York City. Something happened between one issue and the next. Crossover event? Probably. Sigh.

It isn't really necessary to know what happened there to understand the story here, thank goodness. One of the best things that I can say about Whedon taking on the book is that he writes the characters in almost exactly the same way that Vaughan
R.J.
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, queer, ya
I am one of these annoying people who only picked this up because it was written by Joss Whedon. I'm also a (queer, feminist, disgruntled) comics fan, and completely confused as to how I never heard of this title until Whedon wrote an arch of it.

If you're here because you're a Whedon fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It has all of his hallmarks: funny quotable dialogue, a complex but tight-knit plot, cultural references that make you feel smart (Yellow Kid as a turn of the century super
Emily
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
If you're jumping into Runways just because of Joss Whedon do yourself a favor and stop, go back and start with book one. It's worth it. Discover Brian K. Vaughan. He's a wonderful writer and this is a great series. Heck, Joss Whedon took over writing because he was a fan of Runaways!

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I wish Whedon hadn't taken over writing Runaways. There was just something off about the story and the characters. I can't put my finger on it.

The story was a little all o
Dan
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time travel shenanigans.
Ryan Mishap
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
So, like a dummy, I got this because Joss Whedon wrote it without having read any of the others. So why should I know what in the hell is going on?

Premise is awesome: children of super-villains decide they don't want to be evil and take off, hence the title.

This has many of the Joss Whedon traits, but, again, dummy didn't know the story so it wasn't all that fun.

The situation The Punisher finds himself in is fucking hilarious, though, so I can't say this was a waste. Must go back and start from
Lil' Violet
Runaways vol 8 #25-30 dead end kids
Art: A new artist this time the art is more how you would picture an American comic and yet still tolerable for manga fans although some parts not so much. The style is realistic cartoonish as in you can tell it's cartoony but this doesn't have the same flare as Eric Wight's work. the art work is plain enough that its tolerable for manga fans that has got to count for something B-

Characters: The group is all here and while no one really changes much they do su
Max
Sep 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kinda hate this run and Joss Whedon for killing the Runaways and all the misplaced hype he brought to the book, just to write a 6 issue run over the course of about a year and then ditch the title. Runaways always had worries about cancellation and his follow up to BKV's run should have brought the book to wider attention and greater sales. Instead it got cancelled.

But, all things considered, the story arc in the volume was overall pretty good and Whedon was able to keep the feeling and voice
jess
I got this from the library one night when I attempted to ensure I didn't miss any of the Buffy comics available from our fine public library. Joss Whedon writing for Marvel and I missed it entirely? Hmprgh! I had never read any of the earlier Runaways from Brian Vaughn, but the story wasn't difficult to pick up. The Runaways are the kids of the Pride (a group of Marvel villians). They realize their parents are bad guys, try to turn over a new leaf and make some mighty pledges for justice and go ...more
Scott
I really like the Runaways series, and I would say I am totally gaybones for Whedon (that's a mixture of 30 Rock reference and profession of my love for Joss).
However, I was disappointed by this volume, collecting Runaways issues 25-30, the group begins by following in the parents footsteps (working for the villian Kingpin), being attacked by Punisher (who gets kicked in the nuts (HILARIOUS!)), and going back to 1907 where they meet early superheroes called Wonders. But it's not very coherrent,
Mark
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joss Whedon takes over the story line for this volume, and sends our heroes back to New York circa 1907. He creates parallel characters in the past to stand in for The Punisher, Kingpin and others, as well as the inevitable grand melee between the various factions. Fun stuff!
dara
So much overlap with the marvel universe that I fear I'm missing out with my limited knowledge.
Virginia
Classic Whedon dialog. Enjoyable (even with all the time-travel tropes) and fun to read. Nico, as usual, AWESOME.
Therese
I should give this three stars, because it was confusing and the story went all over the place, but Molly was especially adorable in this so it gets an extra star.
Simone
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was such a disappointment. I was loving these comics and very much looking forward to the next volume, but this one didn't work for me at all. The characters are still more or less the same, but the story and the way it was written... The whole thing felt clunky. There was just too much going on with too little explanation. At some points I didn't even know what a line of dialogue was supposed to mean. And the plot wasn't very good to start with.

Right at the start, we just jump to the Runaw
Patrick
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still bitter about the loss of Gert from way back, but this was a quality arc. I wasn't sure what to expect from Whedon but he delivered well enough.

I hadn't planned to read past Vaughn's run. Then last week a buddy said this one was worth a read and also a few days ago there was this massive Kindle sale and these volumes were like $2 a piece. Not something to pass up, honestly.

I do appreciate the character development Whedon gives us. I'm not sure how to feel about the new team member, but
Chels
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have loved this more if I had read the back issues, but this was the only one I could get my hands on. It was interesting and weird, but time travel isn't totally my gig, so, I wasn't as invested as I could have been.
Liam Mcguire
3.5 stars - perfectly fine read considering the massive change.
Liz
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
Wing Kee
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not everything that Whedon does is gold.

World: I don't like art. The characters are too similar and the colors are bland a day boring. The best thing about Alphona's art were the expressions and they are missing here. The world building in concept is interesting, with time travel and the different gangs in New York. That being said, it was choppy making for a fairly choppy stage for the story to take place.

Story: Convoluted and pointless. Choppy and all hell and emotions were basic and unearne
huh. i read this today while sitting in the library waiting to use the bathroom because the toilet in my house is all stupid and cloggy. no matter how many times the man comes to fix the water level or the floaty thing or the jiggly bit, there's no fixing it. previously it just flushed in this depressed sort of there's-no-point-in-continuing-what-is-my-purpose-in-life-Le-SIGH sort of way, but now it's decided to get angry and go on strike instead. personally, i prefer the depressed toilet over t ...more
scout cook

In the eighth book in the RUNAWAYS series, the kids travel back in time to early 1900's New York. They join a group with a bunch of other "gifted" kids. They try and explain to the kids what they think (know) might happen, without giving away that they're from the future. They eventually get in the middle of a riot against "normals". They help stop the fight, and head back to the future with a girl that they saved from her husband (the girl was like 9 and her husband was like 30). What will happ

Amanda
Miguel
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joss Whedon's vision for Runaways is decidedly a step down from Brian K. Vaughan's run. There are strong character moments and some good emotional arcs here. The plotting, however, is a total mess. Whedon tries to tie in this story to the inception of the Runaways, as Vaughan deftly has done throughout his run. Unfortunately, Whedon's move fails to have any resonance. The time travel aspect is lackluster, the return of Gertrude's parents lacks any conceivable *umph*, and the legion of throw-away ...more
Cindy
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty decent book, and Whedon did a decent job with each of the characters. He was able to show their various insecurities and personalities, and while it took a while to separate everyone, after the few chapter, they were all crystal clear.

The overall issue would be how much these kids blundered, never seeming to know what they were doing. I'm willing to believe that this was showing their character growth, but after a while it wore thin. As did a few of the plot holes and the overa
Eric
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Marvel comics, Joss Whedon
Shelves: graphic-novels
The direction this series had been going before this was getting a bit stale, so I'm glad Joss Whedon came in and turned the whole thing on its head. That being said, the end result wasn't much better, albeit for entirely different reasons than my previous gripes.

I loved the idea of having the kids seek out the Kingpin, steal a priceless artifact, scuffle with the Punisher, and time travel to the past, but there was just way too much going on to make sense of it all in the limited space it was g
Ryan
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong
  • Young Avengers Presents
  • X-23, Vol. 2: Chaos Theory
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 4: Legacy
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Runaways (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways
  • Runaways Saga
  • Mystic Arcana Sister Grimm #1

“Nobody treating us like kids. For once, we gt to be equals, not babies. Could use more of that in the twenty-first. Age doesn’t make grown-ups.” 0 likes
“I saw Gert. The time machine took me back to a few years ago, the Yorkes’ house… and there she was. On the phone, organizing a protest against… the usual.”

“You talk to her?”

“You nuts? She’s fourteen—what do I say? ‘Hey, in a few years you’re gonna find out your parents are evil time-traveling overlords and help kill them, fall in love with the dumbest guy you know and than eat it ‘cause he’s too slow to protect you?’”

“You could’ve brought her back…”

“Butterfly effect, remember? Yeah, I looked it up. ‘Sides she had a few good years left. Which is more than I can promise with us. I just hid. Watched her for a while.”

“Was it hard?”

“It was f#%&ing beautiful.”
0 likes