Start by marking “The Infinite Atonement” as Want to Read:
The Infinite Atonement

The Infinite Atonement

4.63  ·  Rating details ·  4,085 Ratings  ·  637 Reviews
"Some things simply matter more than others," writes Robert L. Millet in his foreword to this landmark book. "Even some doctrines, though interesting and fun to discuss, must take a backseat to more fundamental and foundational doctrines. It is just so with the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The Atonement is the central act of human history, the pivotal point in all time, the ...more
Published March 28th 2000 by Deseret Book (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Infinite Atonement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Infinite Atonement

Bonnie Blackburn
Is it allowed for a devout mormon to give a mormon book a low score? My bihsop recommended that I read this, and if it hadn't been for his recommendation, I wouldn't have been able to finish it. Callister uses SO MANY adjectives it is ridiculously distracting to the point where you can't even focus on what he is saying. Example: "It was a sacrifice that was so grand, so glorious, so grandiose, so big, so important and so vital to us." Wow. Really? You had to use ALL those adjectives to describe ...more
Paul Callister
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting
Shelves: religion
Ok, so my uncle wrote it (and I watched him write it over 17 years)and I'm impartial, but the book is an excellent account of why we need Christ's atonement and how it relates to other religious concepts like Adam's fall, law, and sin.
Jill
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This book taught me more about the doctrine of the atonement than I've ever learned in my entire life. It is heavy reading that required me time to ponder and internalize it. I feel like what I really understand about the atonement could fit in a thimble, or maybe a dropper. This has enlarged my understanding, deepened my appreciation, left me humbled and eternally grateful to my beloved Savior for his infinite love, compassion and supreme sacrifice. It is a book I will continue to read over and ...more
Emily
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the BEST gospel book I have ever read. It provides so much insight, clarity, and logic concerning the atonement and related topics. I could only read a little at a time because there is so much to take in and ponder. It is thoroughly researched, well organized, and beautifully written. I don't think anyone can read this book without growing intellectually and spiritually. This book changed me. This is the first time I have finshed a book and wanted to immediately start it again. Unfortun ...more
Trudy
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves 10 stars! Now that I've finished reading and marking it, I feel that I should start all over again. It's truly amazing! Here is one of the author's closing paragraphs:

"One does not speak lightly of the Atonement or casually express his appreciation. It is the most sacred and sublime event in eternity. It deserves our most intense thought, our most profound feelings, and our noblest deeds. One speaks of it in reverential tones; one contemplates it in awe; one learns of it in so
Tanya W
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough good about this book... it's a spiritual feast. I will re-read this book many times.

If you love Jesus and want to learn more about the most important event in all time, the Atonement, then read this book. This is a must read for any Christian, and even though it may be tailored to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, it would bless anyone who wants to know and love Jesus better. There is no way we can fully comprehend the Atonement with the limits of mor
Connor Boyack
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book took me a while to get through, mainly because it would take me a while to digest each section I read. It's rich and thorough in its presentation of scripture to affirm each assertion, which makes for slower reading. But I know of no other work which so clearly sets forth the case for the Atonement and explains each facet of it. This is a must read for every child of God.
Garrett Burnett
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I wondered how Callister could fill an entire book on such a narrow subject. I assumed he would provide a description of the atonement of Jesus Christ with scriptural backing. There aren't really that many scriptures about the event—certainly not an entire book's worth. Callister, however, took a broader view. He described the importance of the atonement as it spanned and affected all facets of religion, spirituality, and life. It turns out, it's a pretty broad topic after all.

Callister tries to
Natalie
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think I need an "Atonement for Dummies" book rather than a book like this. I think the book itself was well-researched for sure and there were a lot of quotes - scriptural and otherwise - but I just have a hard time reading "textbooks" and do better with stories. There were a few stories throughout that made concepts relate-able and those were times when I was engaged and got something out of the book.

The first few chapters held my interest and were thought-provoking, but it took me so long to
Bskidmore
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I won't even pretend to be able to adequately express my feelings about this book. It's definitely one I'll be reading over and over, as it really helped to explain one of the most fundamental truths and acts ever completed in history, in a way that was much easier to follow and apply than other things I've read about the Atonement...... And there were still plenty of things over my head!
Annette
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book by LDS author Tad R. Callister has touched my soul deeply. The author's understanding of the Atonement of Jesus Christ encourages the reader to study, ponder, and pray to come to realize more deeply why Christ needed to accomplish an Infinite Atonement in order for all of Heavenly Father's children to be able to return home to him. The doctrine of the Atonement is the central message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Tad R. Callister guides the reader through the many aspects of the Atonem
Rob
Feb 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All Christians
This book provided an excellent review of the atonement and it was very comprehensive in the sense that it related the atonement to quite a variety of other gospel principles. There is definitely a niche for this book, as I don't know of many other books that focus solely on the subject of Christ's suffering in Gethsemene and Golgotha. The book is full of great quotes and scriptural references. However, I did not have the same enthusiasm for this book while I was reading it as others who reccome ...more
Sara
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read this a few years ago and wanted to go back and review it again. Definitely the best book about the Atonement I've ever read! (Other books about the Atonement that I like are Stephen E. Robinson's Believing Christ and James Ferrell's The Peacekeeper.)
Jackie
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tremendous. "I stand All Amazed at the love Jesus offers me..." Learned much more than I was expecting and predict that this will be my favorite book of the year.
Julie
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mom
Shelves: lds
5 stars. Because I can't give it any more. It's one of those that just needs to be read again every few years.
Heather
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This is a wonderful book that focuses our attention on the importance of the Atonement - the single most important event and act of love in history. Joseph Smith teaches that the resurrection and the Atonement are the fundamental principles of our religion and everything else is simply an appendage (see page ix). This is a book that could be read again and again while studying the important aspects of our Savior's love and Atonement for us.

We all need to study and come to understand for ourselve
Debbie Deerwester
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The atonement is such an abstract thing to me. Why does anyone have to die for me? Why can't I just pay the price for my own mistakes? Why was Jesus the one to do it? Throughout my life bits and pieces have come to me but I was still looking for answers. I listened to this as an audiobook through the Deseret Book App every morning on my walk. It answered questions I had and those I didn't know I had but were forming. The atonement is an act of pure love, both from a loving father and brother. On ...more
Lauren Wilde
(can I just say I'm loving the plus audiobook feature on the Deseret Book app!)

While no book or books on the atonement could be comprehensive (because, ultimately, it's not possible for mortals to comprehend the atonement fully), this book sure felt like it.

I loved the structure of the book and how it approached the a atonement. The first third explained the need of the atonement---which is only fully explained by a correct understanding of the fall of Adam and Eve.

The second third was my favor
Stephanie Schmid
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book! I love all the research and the information behind the book! How blessed we are to have our Savior!
Nick Hardy
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, religion
Very beautiful, albeit very dense, book about the Savior's Atonement. Feels more like an academic approach, but it still fits somewhere between the lines of Talmage's "Jesus the Christ" and more application based Atonement texts like Robinson's "Believing Christ." I'm lean more towards the latter, but this is worth anyone's time, as the thought, depth, and organization of this book are so logical and well planned.

A few favorite quotes:

"Commandments are no more restrictive to the spiritual man
CarrieLyn
Mar 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to CarrieLyn by: Moraga Ward book group
This was a hard book to get through. It could be considered a strength, but, to me, the legalistic approach Callister took to his subject made for dull reading. He is a lawyer, and I could see his skill as a legal writer on display here. He carefully roadmapped what he was going to say, introduced each subject on his roadmap as he tackled it, covered it incredibly thoroughly with long quotes and careful end notes, and then concluded by reminding us at the end of each chapter what the point had b ...more
Annie
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I finally finished this book after several months to get through it. It was an absolutely wonderful book though. A very comprehensive and beautifully written book about the doctrine of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It's easy to read---it just took me so long because I read multiple books at the same time. As far as important books to read in your life, I think this is one of them. Just a wonderful explanation about God's plan for us and the essential role that the Atonement of Jesus Christ plays.
Joy
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to read a comprehensive book about the atonement. I found many passages that were insightful and I enjoyed Callister's incorporation of literature (primarily Shakespeare). This book is doctrine heavy which I thoroughly enjoyed. My only slight complaint with this book is Callister's occasional over-editorialization, but that complaint is very minor. Callister wrote a book that is mostly doctrine and by and large steers clear from emoti ...more
Jana
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jana by: Cari Banning
Shelves: spiritual-lds
Wow. Amazing in-depth look at the atonement which is at once scholarly and yet intimate and accessible. I have lent it to friends, gifted it on occasion, quoted from it in talks, and marveled at its rich insights.

One aspect I particularly responded to was the idea that everything in the gospel has a physical symbol, and Callister's suggestion that the symbol for the atonement is an embrace.

I also knew the author as a missionary and believe that he lives these principles as fully as he understan
David
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Just reread this. This is one of my favorite religious works that centers on Christ's Atonement. Very inspiring and inspired, with a sound doctrinal (and legal) reasoning. The writing is sometimes difficult (verbose and very legal, with lots of adjectives and quotes), but if you can get past that, it really expands your understanding of the wonder of the atonement.
Ryan
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would say this is the best book on the atonement I have ever read and one of the best spiritual books out there. It is absolutely amazing, detailed, clear, concise, and plain though I'm sure I could read it countless times and never pull everything needful from it's pages. Definitely going to read and study that one again! Awesome.
Ginger
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite books on the Atonement. I learned so much about my Savior in reading it. I think EVERYONE should read this book. Your tesitmony and gratitude for the savoir will grow in leaps and bounds. I kept my scriptures close by while I read it and make notations in my scriptures. I try to read this every once-in-a while as a healthy testimony booster!
Jensa
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is spirituality meets logic meets philosophy meets intuition - I love how this brilliant man takes me deep into the Atonement in an attempt to put it into words. Absolutely amazing and thought provoking. A book that I will read over and over again.
Carol
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book!!!! I learned so much about the atonement in all its aspects that I had never thought of before. I would highly recommend this book to everyone!!! It's a book I will read again because there was so much information that I know I did not absorb it all on the first reading.
Sirpa Grierson
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well-researched book on the atonement. With each book I have read on this topic, I have gained more understanding of the importance of contemplating this singular event and its implications in each of our lives. Highly recommended.
Infinite Atonement 2 24 May 12, 2013 10:36AM
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation (Divine Guidance, #1)
  • The Continuous Atonement
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Increase In Learning: Spiritual Patterns For Obtaining Your Own Answers (Spiritual Patterns, #1)
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • Lectures on Faith
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discourses
  • Daughters of God: Scriptural Portraits
  • Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • The Power of Everyday Missionaries
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • The Hidden Christ: Beneath the Surface of the Old Testament

“Elder Neal A. Maxwell suggests that the prime reason the Savior personally acts as the gatekeeper of the celestial kingdom is not to exclude people, but to personally welcome and embrace those who have made it back home.” 23 likes
“A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is. After all, you find out the strength of the German army by fighting it, not by giving in. You find out the strength of a wind by trying to walk against it, not by lying down. A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in. We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it: and Christ, because He was the only man who never yielded to temptation, is also the only man who knows to the full what temptation means—the only complete realist."15” 6 likes