Start by marking “Playing It by Heart: Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What” as Want to Read:
Playing It by Heart: Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What

Playing It by Heart: Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What

Readers will learn what drives them into controlling behavior and victimhood--and what it takes to pull themselves out, to return to the healing, faith, and maturity that come with recovery.

Since the publication of Melody Beattie's groundbreaking book Codependent No More, millions of people have confronted the demons of codependency. And yet, many in recovery find themselv
Published July 23rd 2009 by Hazelden Publishing (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Playing It by Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing It by Heart

Kathy
May 13, 2017 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Melody Beattie has written many self-help books, but she has been through some horrific experiences in her life, and this memoir makes it so clear that we all make our own choices. Contrast her story with the main character, played by Charlize Theron, in the movie "Monster." Melody is a great storyteller, but she is also a great thinker, who brings out life lessons for all of us in her own stories and the stories of others.
C2015
Nov 20, 2013 C2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of this was outstanding, stop me in my tracks. Some towards the end I found choppy but maybe my attention was choppy. I learned so much about codependency. I was astounded at what a major drug addict she was!!! Talk about destroying my mental image of her but I guess she had to come from somewhere to have any validity. Two things I got out of this: considering how horribly she treated her body, I'm doing super fine and I don't need to worry about those chips or other bad food I've had! And ...more
Eleanor Cowan
Jul 20, 2014 Eleanor Cowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Staying On Track

Extremely helpful follow up to "Codependant No More".
Even though I am an atheist now, I still love Melody Beattie whose insistence upon self-love, self-respect and physical comfort guided and helped me so much in my most difficult hours.

Eleanor Cowan, author of : A History of a Pedophile's Wife: Memoir of a Canadian Teacher and Writer
Amy
Jun 24, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
Reading this book was like looking into a mirror. I never had the alcohol or drug addiction problems that the author described, but I learned a lot about my behaviors from her experiences. A great read for anyone who has questions about codependency, addiction, 12 step programs, spirituality, loss, fate, etc. This one will take me a while to completely process. I rarely read a book more than once, but I'm sure I will read this one several times.
Heather
Dec 13, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melody Beattie is absolutely amazing. I have to throw out ALL preconceived notions of "self-help" books. "Playing It by Heart" is the most powerful auto-biography & inspirational book I have ever read. I think every human being should be able to relate, in at least some small way, to her story and walk away with more hope, courage, and faith in being human.
Fran
This book is really interesting. I could not put it down. Melodie Beattie talks about her life as a drug addict and as the spouse of an alcoholic (many years later). Great advice for codependents although toward the end it does get a bit preachy and slow.
Kc
May 28, 2014 Kc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far my favorite book! Thank you Melody Beattie for being so transparent and open. You've taught me so very much and have changed my life with your work. Blessings to you!

Kelitia Crowder
Ginny
Mar 03, 2012 Ginny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
kept my interest
Eileen Binning
Aug 25, 2013 Eileen Binning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A page turner...
Suzie Reno
Dec 24, 2014 Suzie Reno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Melody's story is jaw dropping and inspiring! Loved every page!
Kathy Alarie
May 31, 2013 Kathy Alarie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book was not at all what I expected. Didn't finish reading it. What I had read was major detail on how to inject yourself and use drugs. That's not Taking care of yourself in my opinion.
Pradeep Shetty
Pradeep Shetty rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was ok
May 12, 2013
Tina Sinopoli
Tina Sinopoli rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2012
Yo Yo
Yo Yo rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2015
Sonia Bellani
Sonia Bellani rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Janeen Herskovitz
Janeen Herskovitz rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Cherish Anne Bright
Cherish Anne Bright rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Paula Ward
Paula Ward rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Judy Wells
Judy Wells rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2012
Alie
Alie rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2008
Rainya
Rainya rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2008
Shelly Smits
Shelly Smits rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
A Diveglia
A Diveglia rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Kinsey
Kinsey rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Susymend Mendía
Susymend Mendía rated it really liked it
May 18, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Find Out Who's Normal and Who's Not: Proven Techniques to Quickly Uncover Anyone's Degree of Emotional Stability
  • Don't Call That Man!: A Survival Guide to Letting Go
  • The Little Black Book of Big Red Flags
  • Boundaries and Relationships: Knowing, Protecting and Enjoying the Self
  • Behind the Smile: My Journey out of Postpartum Depression
  • Domestic Malice (Murder, She Wrote, #38)
  • Rubout (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #2)
  • The Revolutionary Trauma Release Process: Transcend Your Toughest Times
  • The Rainbow Way: Cultivating Creativity in the Midst of Motherhood
  • Moon over Madeline Island (Madeline Island, #1)
  • Summer of the Big Bachi (Mas Arai, #1)
  • Stay With Me
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies
  • Mend My Broken Heart
  • 8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies to Empower Your Healing
  • The Mezuzah in the Madonna's Foot: Marranos and Other Secret Jews--A Woman Discovers Her Spiritual Heritage
  • How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published
  • Love Is a Choice: The Definitive Book on Letting Go of Unhealthy Relationships
Over the years, Melody Beattie has become well-known in the world of self-help literature. After turning away from a life of addiction and suffering, Melody shared her own story in order to help others change theirs. Her overnight sensation, Codependant No More, has been influencing millions for over twenty years. Her passion for writing has resulted in fifteen books, including: Co-Dependants Anon ...more
More about Melody Beattie...

“The test, the mark, of a person that's on a spiritual path is whether they can live in harmony.” 3 likes