Start by marking “The Dashwood Sisters Tell All: A Modern-Day Novel of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
The Dashwood Sisters Tell All: A Modern-Day Novel of Jane Austen

The Dashwood Sisters Tell All: A Modern-Day Novel of Jane Austen

(Adventures with Jane Austen and her Legacy #3)

Ellen and Mimi Dodge have never been close, but their mothers dying wish sends them on a walking tour of Hampshire, England, that follows in the footsteps of Jane Austen. Their mother also left them something else: a diary that belonged to Janes sister Cassandra. These pages shed light on the secrets that nearly tore the Austen sisters apart and inspired one of the greates ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by GuidepostsBooks (first published March 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dashwood Sisters Tell All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dashwood Sisters Tell All

Laurel
Great fun - nourishing Jane Austen fans sense and romance readers sensibilities!

Following Jane Austen Ruined My Life (2009) and Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart (2010), Austenesque author Beth Pattillo presents the third book in the “Formidables Series,” The Dashwood Sisters Tell All. If you are wondering what “Formidables” are, besides being the thread that binds all three of these modern Jane Austen themed novels together, it is a clever play on Jane’s own stern moniker for herself and her sister Cass
Maria Grazia
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Beth Pattillo knows how to make me feel better in stressful times. The same happened while reading Mr Dracy Broke My Heart last year, I found relief and escapism in a well-written, all-delight modern Austenesque tale.
Beth Pattillo follows the same successful "recipe" she used for her previous work and the result is a delicious, tasty new novel, released at the beginning of this month and celebrating the bicentenary of Sense and Sensibility. What are the "ingredients" I recognized in The Dashwood
Ruth
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
My Comments:
This was a treadmill book and I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that good treadmill books are easy reads with fast-moving plots--nothing I have to think about too much and something that makes me want to keep reading rather that to save it for tomorrow. The Dashwood Sisters Tell All fit the bill perfectly.

Ellen and Mimi are sisters. Ellen is practical, Mimi is not. Both are in their 30's and single. They don't hate each other, but there is always friction when they are together.
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jane-austen
Ellen and Mimi Dodge are two sisters with personalities that do not mesh well together. Separated by several states, they've grown apart and their relationship has somewhat deteriorated over the years. But since it is their mother's last wish, Ellen and Mimi are traveling to England together to find an appropriate place to scatter their mother's ashes. Their mother, anticipating her death from cancer, prepared for her daughters to take a Jane Austen walking tour of Hampshire, England, which incl ...more
Kat
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was my first Austen inspired book so I had high expectations...but my thoughts are a bit mixed. Of course, it's fun to relive a beloved story; yet, the retelling is a bit too similar to the original for me. Obviously, set in the modern times gives it a new edge but I knew exactly what was going to happen the entire time I was reading - no fun! Ellen = Elinor, Mimi = Marianne, Colonel Tom = Colonel Brandon, Ethan = Willoughby, Daniel = Edward...and this is not at all a spoiler because the au ...more
Laure Hershman
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Could have added a ton more to the ending!
Julie Graves
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
Ellen and Mimi are fulfilling their mother's last wish by embarking on a walking tour of Hampshire, England. Their mother was a Jane Austen fan and her dying wish was for her daughters to walk the countryside that Jane herself had lived in.

Ellen and Mimi have never been close. Ellen is the sensible sister and Mimi has always been the flighty sister. Neither woman has been lucky in love. Ellen feels that she has always had to clean up Mimi's romantic disasters and Ellen herself lost the love of h
Kylie
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Kathryn
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Patillo found a formal and in this book wore it down to a nub. All enthusiasm I may have had for the first two dwindled away as I raced to read this book almost to get it over with. The characters were flat and stereotypical. The romance was cheesy and forced. Things got a little better in parts, but it was mostly predictable, especially if you have any knowledge of Sense and Sensibility. 1.5 stars.
Courtney Long
May 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.25 stars.

This was a cute, easy-read of a book...definitely chick lit. I liked the sisters very much, and seeing their relationship change was great growth. However, most of this book was rushed or extremely unrealistic. All the twists just seemed silly, so I couldn't buy into anything that was being said.

This book is like eating candy ...it might make you happy in the moment, but you'll realize afterwards that there's nothing of substance.
Raya
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
A Modern Day novel, of the Dashwood Sisters from Sense and Sensibility. As much as I love Jane Austen, Sense & Sensibility, is not my favorite book.

That being said, this was a mysterious, romance, set on a Jane Austen walking touring, and it was ok. Unfortunately predictable. On the upside, it's a really quick read.
Susan
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been dipping into this without paying
proper attention but finally I got caught up
in the fun of it and the three sets of sisters -
Jane & Cassandra, Elinor & Marianne and
Ellen & Mimi. It is quite entertaining and nice
refreshing combination of romance, mystery
and JAFF!
Kim
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
A quick easy read. The premise was interesting, the Austen sisters' secret diaries, etc. It loosely follows Sense & Sensibility with the modern day sisters. It was nice to read about a DIFFERENT Austen book, for a change.
Carol
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A little bit predictable since it follows Sense and Sensibility, but such fun I didn't mind. This was my favorite book of hers so far.
MASH
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Can't wait to read this next book in the series. I loved "Jane Austen ruined my life" and "Mr Darcy broke my heart!". Great stories and great covers.
Ellie Dashwood
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Ellen Dodge lives in sensible stretch shorts and the cold hard reality that her true love married someone else ten years ago. Mimi Dodge lives in tight pink miniskirts and the arms of this week’s doomed romance. The sisters share nothing in common–except that they’re related of course.

When Ellen’s and Mimi’s Jane Austen obsessed mother dies and requests they spread her ashes in the English countryside, the sisters find themselves on an adventure that will either help them bond or drive the two e
Maria Birnell
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
OK, I was torn between 2 and 3 stars but decided to go with 3 because I did enjoy parts of it and it is a quick, light read. Certainly not the best Austen-inspired book I have read but not the worst.

My main issues with this are the female characters are soooo sterotypical and brainless in parts that it made me roll my eyes. My other huge issue is that the sisters keep saying their mother ruined them for real relationships because of her love of Austen novels. That she taught them to expect perf
Geoff
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
My Recommendation: It's a light read to finish out the trilogy and it goes by quick. It's a pretty good modernization of Sense and Sensibility with some real life Austen fact and fiction sprinkled in. If you've read the first two in the trilogy you may as well finish it out. I finished it and had a goofy grin on my face, so it's worth that at least.

My Response: Another weekend, another great beach read! If you're keeping track, which only I am, that's three Jane Austen fan-fiction novels and on
Victoria
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a light, fun read! I rated it 2 stars because it was so light! I wanted it to delve a bit deeper into one of the many elements (the sisters' relationship with each other, with their mother, or the mystery about the diary, or even the bit of romance between the ladies and gentlemen in this story). I found that it was spread too thin and as a result it didn't really hook me the way I had hoped that it would. I thought Pattillo's characterization was great, and that's probably why I was dis ...more
Amy
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked Ellen and Mimi's characters . I found Ethan an easy " villian". I didn't really feel like Ellen and Daniel really felt like were together even in the end . I liked how Tom was the under dog and that Mimi choses him . Really didn't find the whole Mrs . Parrot thing in the end believeable. There is more to that story that needed explaining , but it was more like " Hey surpise !" and as the reader I was suppose to be like " yup that makes sense" when it was totally out of no where.
Kim
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was okay. Honestly, there was nothing truly significant about this modernization of Sense and Sensibility. It was pleasant to read, but it doesn't stand out.

I don't have a sister, but this didn't feel like a genuine story about two sisters that become closer and form a stronger bond. It felt too quick for me. I definitely think portions of the novel could have been expanded or even added to in order to make those emotional punches more meaningful.
Kristina
I have read her other two Austen books and I think I liked this one the least. Although, I do enjoy the parallels between Ellen & Mimi to the Dashwood sisters with Daniel being Edward and Tom being the Captain. It was a sweet book and her imagery is wonderful to read, the story between the sisters was kinda dry for me but all ends well. Eh?

Tracie
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lauren N
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I obviously adore Jane Austen (how could you not), so I generally love reading adaptations to her works and while this one was "ok", I wouldn't choose it again. The positive of this book is that it's a super easy and quick read, so it's great for filling in gaps of time in waiting rooms or on a commute. I didn't really end up liking any of the characters though and found the plot to be "so so"
Melody
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
This is by far my favorite Beth Patillo book I've read so far, probably because there was actually quite a happy ending and not much bitterness. In previous books I'd read by her, they left me wanting more sweetness, more gentleness, and I felt like this provided that. I quite enjoyed it, especially the relationship between the sisters, and how they both changed throughout the book.

5 stars.
Reina
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Third book in the series, and while there aspects of this book I appreciate, such as the settings and locations, some of the information becomes overly repetitive if you have read the first two books, as does the writing in general.
Christa
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the third book in the series and it was the most predictable. It followed the same premise as the other two with no variation. It was quite predictable and as such somewhat boring. The second book was the best of the three in my opinion.
Nanette
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austen-y
This was a cute book! These sisters go on a Jane Austen tour in England and discover Jane Austen's secret diary with a Sense and Sensibility feel to it!
Whitney
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
You could guess the entire story before even reading a single page of this book, and the connections to Sense and Sensibility are so obvious it's offensive to fans of Jane Austen's work.
Kaitlin Diaz
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute story and plot! Being an Austen fan, it was fun reminiscing about the Jane Austen sites they visited and seeing the character similarities of Sense and Sensibility.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 19, 2015 05:06PM

• My Jane Austen Summer: A Season in Mansfield Park
  • Colonel Brandon's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #5)
  • Dearest Cousin Jane
  • Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation
  • Mr. Darcy Forever (Austen Addicts #3)
  • Jane Austen Made Me Do It: Original Stories Inspired by Literature's Most Astute Observer of the Human Heart
  • Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel
  • Austentatious
  • Drive and Determination
  • Netherfield Park Revisited (The Pemberley Chronicles, #3)
  • Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends, #2)
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice: A Modern Love Story with a Jane Austen Twist (The Woods Hole Quartet #1)
  • The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy
  • Undressing Mr. Darcy
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Pemberley Ranch
  • Bewitched, Body and Soul: Miss Elizabeth Bennet

Adventures with Jane Austen and her Legacy (3 books)
  • Jane Austen Ruined My Life