Start by marking “The Secret of Shadow Ranch” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Shadow Ranch

The Secret of Shadow Ranch

(Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #5)

This cool paperback blank journal features one of the most memorable cover images from the classic Nancy Drew Mystery Stories series.
192 pages
Published September 1st 1980 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Shadow Ranch, please sign up.
Amy Yes, the first 34 Nancy Drew books were rewritten, starting in 1959. While some of them only had minor changes, this one has a new plot and…moreYes, the first 34 Nancy Drew books were rewritten, starting in 1959. While some of them only had minor changes, this one has a new plot and characters.

The original text version is The Secret at Shadow Ranch
The revised text version is The Secret of Shadow Ranch(less)

Start your review of The Secret of Shadow Ranch
Sheri
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I began to read, I sensed something different in this fifth volume in the Nancy Drew mysteries. In fact, there are several differences.

First, the book starts with Nancy in Phoenix. In the previous books, Nancy is at home in River Heights, or at least not too far away, and the mystery comes to her. She is sought out for her sleuthing skills and to solve the mystery. In The Secret of Shadow Ranch, she goes to Arizona to meet up with friends and discovers the mystery at hand.

That brings us to
Julie
Ah. . . the 1930s. . . it was a sweeter, gentler time. . . a time with neither Coronavirus nor market looting.

Yes, there was something called The Great Depression and you may have heard the rumors that there was some nasty racism, too, but none of these ugly matters plague our young heroine, Nancy, in this, or in any other, of her adventures.

For titian-haired Nancy was a trim figure in her olive-green knit with matching shoes and, even when she and her young female friends are threatened at the
Jeremy Preacher
This continues my series of comparative reviews of the 1930s and 1950s editions of the Nancy Drew books.

Shadow Ranch was the mystery with the biggest divergence of story so far. I've been trying to read them more or less in parallel, but that was pretty much impossible here - they're basically two distinct stories with different plots entirely.

In the 1930s version, there are two main mysteries - what happened to Alice's father, and what's the deal with the little blonde girl who lives with the
Michael Finocchiaro
In this 5th adventure of brilliant girl detective Nancy Drew, there are phantom horses, cute cowboys, rockslides and apple pies - all you'd expect from a good Nancy adventure. My daughter might already be outgrowing these stories - her rapidly maturing 8-year old mind is already deep into Harry Potter - but I still loved reading this little classic to her with wild horse rides, square dancing (is that even still a thing?), and hijinks galore.
Charles  van Buren
Charles van Buren

Read the original edition

September 7, 2019

Format: Hardcover

Review by Catherine, grade five. On Amazon it is really hard to tell which edition you are buying. I got the original. There were other editions in the 1960's that made Nancy more girly. I'm not a girly girl. Read the originals.

One of my best friends lives on a horse ranch and riding school so I picked this book for AR at my school. It was a really good mystery and treasure hunt.
Mark Baker
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its summer, and Nancy has been invited to spend it with her best friends Bess Marvin and George Fayne on the ranch their uncle Ed and aunt Bet have just bought in Arizona. However, she has barely landed when she learns that things arent going well on the ranch. Someone is trying to drive the new owners off the land with acts of sabotage, most of which are foreshadowed by a phantom horse. There is a legend that an old outlaw cursed the ranch, but Nancy thinks the culprits are more modern and very ...more
Jaksen
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, of the four I've recently read, The Secret of the Old Clock (#1), The Bungalow Mystery (#3), The Mystery of Lilac Inn (#4) and this one, The Secret of Shadow Ranch (#5), this is by far the best. (I can't find my TWO copies of The Hidden Staircase (#2), so haven't re-read and reviewed it yet.)

This mystery, considering it's the world of Nancy Drew, is well-written, and contains clues, evidence, and a storyline that seems more natural than the others and less 'forced.' Nancy does move from
Carrie
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, mystery
I would love to see another edition of this book. In the order of the series, this is number five, but Ned Nickerson, Nancy's longtime and long suffering boyfriend gets several mentions. Too bad he doesn't make his first appearance until book seven! I have the "purple" editions, the double editions that were published two books to each volume as a collectible set. The books have, over the years, gone through a lot of edits to "update" them. I'd love to know if this quirk is particular to a ...more
One Code 431
Considering it's a small book i did take my time reading this book and everytime i return to this book its almost felt like returning to a friend and i loved every second of it.!!

The characters were so fun and lovey especially the girls were so fun and didn't shy away from the dangers it truly truly fun and a lovely read. Dave is my crush i Loved him . and i would have loved to see Nancy and Dave having a conversation sad that didn't happen !!!!

"!! Her friend smiled. Work on the sweater Im
Moonkiszt
Purty good!
Jessica Schwartz
A patron let me borrow a copy of the book in its original 1931 form, and it was such a fun throwback. I particularly liked how when Nancy and Co. couldn't get a man to accompany them on their hike into the mountains, their aunt thought they should at least take a revolver to keep them safe. And spoiler alert...Nancy ends up shooting an animal that is now on the endangered species list because she is one badass beeyotch.
Kristen
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middlegrade
This was pretty lame. It could barely hold my attention.
Bronwyn
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the Nancy drew mysteries and as always is in an interesting location when Nancy is on vacation and comes across a theft she gets to solve, it is a good book for young adults
Tarissa
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun mystery that takes Nancy Drew to a ranch with a phantom horse mystery. Although I have to admit that my favorite character is Chief the dog (who politely asked Nancy if he could ride on a horse with her, to get across the river... too cute!).
Jerry
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quickie Review

Good for what it is...but not as good as the other entries in this series, in my opinion.

Score: 3/5
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
First published 1931, but my copy must have come in for one of those 1960s rewrites, because man it was bland. No real thirties feel, except maybe the whole dude-ranch thing (which was also a trope in the Henry Reed novels written in the late fifties, so you can't go by that either.) Not sure why I found this one so dull except that even for a ND it seemed awfully superficial. I was surprised when told that Bess and George were invited to the ranch, and Nancy "easily convinced" them to invite ...more
Maria
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saddle up and join Nancy (along with the first appearance of her best chums, cousins Bess Marvin and George Fayne) as she travels to Phoenix for her next mystery. There's a scene where they all dress up in Indian squaw costumes for a dance in this definitely now historical (but still charming) story.
Out of the Bex
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly I didnt read Nancy Drew as a child, but Im making up for it now. I have become absolutely obsessed with the series!

This one and book #1 are my favorites so far!
Wenqian-1e3
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Drew arrives in Phoenix , Arizona , eagerly looking forward to a fun-filled vacation at Shadow Ranch , but abruptly finds herself involved in a baffling mystery . The Ranch is being huanted by a phantom horse and maliciously damaged by an unknown enermy . Local people believe that the ghostly animal is carrying out the curse of Dir-k Valentine , the romantic outlaw who was killed many years ago at Shadow Ranch , where hee had gone to fulfill a promise to his sweetheart .
Suspecting that a
Anna
Wow, I somehow never read this Nancy Drew canon entry in my youth, but I loved the HerInteractive computer game based on it and this book definitely did justice to my high expectations. Wild West roping, riding, treasure, danger, a great background history love story, and phantoms! I'm barely started in my series read project so I feel it's entirely too soon to name a favorite, but I bet this will be a serious contender. 13-year-old me would have been crazy about this.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Drew leaves the big city, but uncovers a mystery in the Arizona wilderness. Another great addition to this book series.
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
Whoo hoo! Nan solved yet another mystery (no need for "spoiler alert" we all know she solves every mystery!).

And get this, there was another trap door/secret entrance. Again no need for "spoiler alert" as I suspect there will be more super secret passageways in the next 50+ books as well.

Oh and in addition to solving the mystery Nan had time to brush her titian hair until it gleamed. How does she do it!?!? I solve no mysteries yet my hair does not gleam. What gives?

Will I ever tire of Nan? Not
Jamie
Bit of an old-style western feel to this one. Took me a bit to get into as well. It just didn't grab me very well. I felt that Nancy was sometimes too suspicious in some ways but missed other clues. Alice annoyed me a bit as well so that didn't help. Luckily the story does bit up and was actually a bit more involved than past books which was nice.
Debalina
It's always nice to read the old childhood favourite mystery sleuth who I love and whose criminals are really nice guys, quite stupid, quarrelsome and afraid to kill. Such innocent and sweet criminals they had in those days! :P

Happy reading! :)
Rebecca Reynolds
3.5 stars.

Yay to finally seeing Bess and George! This is also the first Nancy Drew mystery that I vividly remember playing the computer game for, so I really enjoyed that sense of nostalgia.

In terms of story, this was okay. The resolution wrapped up pretty quickly. Also Eating is really a very fattening hobby, dear cousin did not have to come at my neck like that, haha.
MK ( Makayla)
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, mystery, series
Nancy Drew is amazing and sassy as always !! 😁💕 The secret of shadow ranch had a Western Gothic feel to it with the ghosts ,forbidden love between the sheriffs daughter and an outlaw involved ! It's one of my favorites now .
Tabi34
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
This is my fifth Nancy Drew Book in a month. Although I'm not sure who really wrote this book, it's obvious it's a different writer. Nancy's engaged friend Helen Corning is gone and the cousins George and Bess have replaced her. This book takes Nancy to Arizona far from River Heights and her family. Her father, Carson Drew and housekeeper Hannah Gruen are only mentioned in passing and play no part in this book. Also we hear for the first time of a boyfriend - Ned. Those who have read other Nancy ...more
bup
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2015
I'd never read a Nancy Drew, because, you know, I was a boy and it would have been unthinkable and all. As an adult, I always thought I should at least read The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew #1). But when I came across this original text version of #5, I knew the universe was speaking to me.

Nancy and...introducing Bess and George (so I'm told), and a cousin Alice go to a ranch for the summer (several day train trip to "the west") and go more than a third of the book not even knowing what
Empress5150
Whenever I need a filler book (one that I know won't take very long to read), I tend to reach for those from my childhood. I have several Nancy Drew mysteries on my book shelf and I've read each of them many times (to the point where, as I am reading it, I pretty much know exactly what's coming next).

This particular one is a favorite; Nancy, along with her faithful companions Bess and George, find themselves on a ranch in Arizona helping Bess and George's aunt and uncle discover who is wrecking
Tweety
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nancy Drew fan and mystery lovers
Recommended to Tweety by: my grandmother
I love this particular edition of The Secret at Shadow Ranch, because it's completely different to The Secret of Shadow Ranch. Having read this one first and then the "revised edition" I can see that it changed way more then just some editing.

In this one it is about a kidnapped child, in the revised it is about a shadowy horse. Big editing, right? (Like chop out the whole plot and write a new one) Both are good, but while the older is Imo superior, the later was just okay. I think Nancy changed
Play Book Tag: [Poll Tally] The Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn Keene - 5 stars eternally and forever 3 7 19 hours, 19 min ago
Wow!!! 5 58 Jan 03, 2019 01:22PM
recormendation 6 33 Aug 20, 2014 04:37AM

• The Missing Chums (The Hardy Boys, #4)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (The Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #6)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (The Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (The Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #9)
  • The House on the Cliff (The Hardy Boys, #2)
  • What Happened at Midnight (The Hardy Boys, #10)
  • The Secret of the Caves (The Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Emeralds (Trixie Belden #14)
  • The Crisscross Shadow (Hardy Boys, #32)
  • Dork Diaries: Spectacular Superstar (Volume 14)
  • The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Darwin Awards, #2)
  • Mystery of the Phantom Heist (Hardy Boys Adventures #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • Claudia and the Middle School Mystery (The Baby-Sitters Club, #40)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)
  • The Clue of the Broken Locket (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #11)