Start by marking “Blood Games (Saint-Germain, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blood Games (Saint-Germain, #3)

Blood Games (Saint-Germain #3)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  780 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
A bloodthirsty religious cult called the Ninth Order is spreading a doctrine of hate across the land. They're soulless and sadistic, and they're sending their armies of fanatics against Raines and his Rebels . . . plotting treachery within his own ranks. If their terrible plan succeeds, Ben Raines will die, and so will all his bright dreams for the future of America.
Published July 31st 2003 by eReads.com (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Games

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Vampire novels actually used to be pretty difficult to find before TWILIGHT came out and renewed everyone's interest in vampires. I remember combing the shelves for them at various used bookstores and only coming across three in as many years of searching: PEEPS by Scott Westerfeld, MIDNIGHT PREDATOR by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, and WRIT IN BLOOD by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. All three are good books, but PEEPS and MIDNIGHT are both young adult boo
Sarah Mac
Everyone seems to love this one, but I'll volunteer an unpopular verdict. (Surprise, right? :P) IMO, this isn't as good as Hotel Transylvania. The flaws of HT -- molasses-paced first half, excessive historical conversations, too many faces without distinctive roles, villains that run unchecked until the last possible minute -- are all present here, but magnified due to this book's length. What is tolerable in a shorter novel becomes annoying in a longer one.

This has a decent storyline, but ever
Holly
Repeatedly, I vow never again to read a book that:

A) Describes a main (male) character's clothing in minute, obsessive, effeminate detail. Every other page.
B) Uses words such as "anealing" and "esuriance" with regularity.
C) In every single sex scene, inevitably uses the phrase "brought her to her fullness."
D) Has a main character who is so cloyingly perfect that, if I knew him in real life, I would kill him, even if he is a 3000 year old vampire.

And yet, repeatedly, I go back to this terrible se
Wanda
***2017 Summer Lovin’ Reading List***

Finally, I met the enigmatic Olivia who corresponded with Saint-Germain during the first two books! She is an excellent character and the Ancient Roman setting was an inspired choice. I can’t imagine all the historical research that Yarbro must do for each novel—so far, she has skipped through three entirely different time periods and seems to maintain the accuracy of each one reasonably well.

Also long awaited was Saint-Germain actually using his vampire po
Jamie Collins
I enjoyed this well enough, but then I'm a sucker for an Ancient Rome setting and I like vampires. (Also the author gets points because like P.N. Elrod, she never actually uses the word "vampire".) If you're not very partial to these two elements then I don't recommend the book.

This is the third of many novels about the very long-lived Saint-Germain, a good-guy vampire. The story spans the period from the middle of Nero's reign, through the Year of the Four Emperors, and a few years into Vespas
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Dear Vampire Affecianados,

When you've tired of sparkly emo disco-balls with fangs or hip-hop slinging, Escalade-driving posers with supposedly "edgy" names or utterly defanged lust objects, bring your weary self to Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's delightfully historical Comte Saint Germain series.

There are over twenty books but thankfully, they are all stand-alone novels and can be read in any order. The Count Saint Germain is actually based on a real life historical figure (though not a vampire, he was
Jason
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Masterfully written, though exhaustingly dense. But here I am looking for another... I feel I very much can relate to the Count and his sensibilities, and that bothers me; I'm no old soul. As the sun sets, I feel like stepping into the light.
Ben Kane
I have to start out by saying that I am in no way shape or form a fan of vampire novels. Twilight etc. etc. leave me absolutely cold. However, I was recommended this book by a member of staff in my local bookshop (where I couldn't get it) and he's the same chap who told me about the superlative Roman novel The Boat of Fate by Keith Roberts, so I took his recommendation at face value.

Yarbro has been writing vampire novels about the same character, Saint Germain, for 30 years now, and she has appa
MAP
The third in the Saint-Germain series, this book is set in Nero's Rome and explains the origins of several characters previously introduced in the first two books. Of the 3 I have read, this one is definitely my favorite, but I do have a soft spot for Roman history. That said, it's also the first time I've noticed some historical inaccuracies, which really irked me. As usual the letters at the beginning of the chapters are useless; anything learned from them will be repeated in the main body of ...more
T.I.M. James
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long time ago (decades) I was perusing the shelves in The Forbidden Planet on a weekend trip to London and notice a book written by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. I’d read a couple of small paper books by the author but not been aware of her larger work – the tales of the vampire Saint-Germain. This was one of those books and I enjoyed it. Over the years I got two more, but her works were hard to come by in this country.

Going through the process of rebuilding my book collection I remembered her novels
Mark
Published In: New York City, NY
Date: 1979
Pgs: 458

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
The Games in the Circus Maximus are afoot. A mad emperor sits upon the throne. Political infighting is the rule of the day. Sadists, perverts, and the cream of Roman society flow through this book. Sometimes, all three are the same people. A foreign noble walks the streets taking in Rome, living her life. Ragoczy Sanct Germain, vampire, Dacian, h
Rachel
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. It's a shame they are not more readily available.
Kathi
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not a fan of vampire books in general. This book did nothing to change my mind.

I understand this is not the first book in the series and I have not read the previous books, so I expected to be missing some of the references to the past. Still, I found the backstory to be almost nonexistent, which means I was even more confused than I had expected to be. Adding to my sense of confusion was the lack of a map of the Roman Empire at the time of the story and a list of the Caesars and key Senator
Rich
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Maybe I liked this book because I was so disappointed in Anne Rice's Lestat books. (I never got more than 1/3 of the way through the first book and have never gone back to Rice since then.) I'm not a huge horror reader. I usually indulge in one or tow because I need to review a couple for my annual Halloween book reviews. (The paper I write for is a monthly.)

The things I liked about this book were Yarbro's historical research into ancient Rome, bringing it vividly to life; her inventiveness at
A. E. S.
Pros: This is a great history read, especially if you love ancient Rome. The attention to period detail is unparalleled here - Yarbro is right next to period writers such as Elizabeth Chadwick (early medieval royalty) or Philippa Gregory (late medieval-Renaissance ibid). The carnage was the style of the time, and the scenes of the Blood Games so-called really brought it home for me. Olivia's husband is the most loathsome animal in the arena, and you'll soon see why.

Cons: Yarbro is a lot lighter
Matteo Pellegrini

Roma è un crogiolo di vizi e intrighi, dove è normale che perfino un imperatore venga assassinato. L'unica realtà immutabile è quella del Circo Massimo, l'arena dove coloro che non godono più dei favori di Nerone, siano essi gladiatori o ex senatori, vengono sbranati da leoni e coccodrilli. Uno dei pochissimi uomini d'affari di successo benché non romano, Saint Germain Ragoczy, è stato fino ad ora capace di tenersi fuori dalle pericolose sabbie mobili dell'alta società romana, ma il suo primo er

Geri Hoekzema
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The problem with beginning your adventures in reading historical fiction with Anya Seton and Dorothy Dunnett is that they spoil you; everything else seems pallid in comparison. That's why I was delighted to realize that I don't remember reading the second book in Yarbro's long-running Count Saint-Germaine series. I've recommended this series to friends who haven't liked any of the vampire-themed titles in the pop fiction of the last decade. The Saint-Germaine series and its spinoffs should reall ...more
Angela
Nov 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire, bc-05
I have now read three of the Saint-Germain series...(I am trying to read them in order, but that may or may not continue) -- I have liked 2 of the 3, (it was The Palace that I couldn't finish)

This one was quite entertaining. I think it could partly be because my husband and I just finished watching season two of Rome, and this (while later in years) has the same feel as the TV series did.

I like that Saint-Germain, while important to the story, was not THE story. We go off on many tangents. I am
Lighthearted
The Saint-Germain series melds historical fiction, romance and horror into something quite unique. SG is an intriguing character. He’s kind, but in Blood Games, he’s living in Nero’s Rome—why? It’s sickening to know that atrocities happen—why would anyone want a front-row seat? Is he trying to lead by example? Is he inflicting some sort of penance on himself? If so, for what? How long has he been around anyway? I’m curious enough that I’m planning to check out the rest of the series. For a quick ...more
Jason
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will come back to give a proper review.
Strengths: good writer, immersed in historical subject matter; realistic story w/ fallible, true narrator; well paced, if circumspect and elliptical (I enjoy the length and typecast it w/ her StG oeuvre)
Weaknesses: logical gaps; confusing motives; old fashioned; I'm-not-the-target-audience and I felt it; formulaic, if you've read any of these before; a few historical social gaffs (I've been spoiled by Colleen McCullough)

Overall a good story and well writ
Wesa
Apr 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book long before this edition came out. I wore the paperback out with re-reading it, and finally got a hardback copy when it was re-issued.

Yarbro's florid prose seems like the right way to describe the excesses of Imperial Rome, and the heroine's misfortune of being married to man with deviant sexual tastes makes this truly a horror novel. Add the dangers faced by Saint-Germain's slaves and then Saint-Germain himself in the arena, and you have an exciting as well as disturbing examin
Joy
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire-werewolf
I regularly read at least one book about the Vampire Saint Germain every few months. The author really does her historical research so its almost more historical fantasy than a blood sucking vampire series. In fact St. Germain is a good guy always attempting to help people although he runs up against human ignorance and religious superstition more often before he can do any good. Some character you come to love always seems to die, so I can't read too many at once without getting depressed. Good ...more
Megan
This was a re-reading of this book. I like the Saint Germaine series a lot- the historical settings are well written, and the plots are fun to read, mostly. This is probably my least favorite of the series just due to the senseless violence associated with the arena, but that's more a product of the era than a fault of the author. I remembered what happened, but the settings are still fascinating. Good read if you like historical dramas set in the Roman era and vampire stories.
Rosalind M
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
This was the first heavily historical novel I ever read, and it set my expectations for every one that followed. Yarbro's writing includes a heavy--sometimes overwhelming--amount of research, but that research is what makes her novels and characters come alive.
Lindig
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Nero's Rome.
Rebecca Huston
One of the earlier, and better, Saint-Germain novels. Also introduces Olivia into the mix, and it's quite a tale, if rather blood thirsty.
Lisa
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really getting to understand the Saint-Germain legacy, and it has sucked me in to the series. It's interesting how she weaves real history into the stories. Looking forward to more!
Linda
Apr 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
Vampires
Janon
Aug 03, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Read this series years ago in publishing order - I'm now planning to re-read (and read some of the newer ones for the first time) in chronological order. I remember loving them!
Joseph
I've never been a big fan of the "sexy vampire" school of writing. But if you gotta go that way, this lady is the best. real history and vivid prose. Skip over the gushy parts if you must.
  • Death and the Maiden (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire, #2)
  • The Holmes-Dracula File (Dracula Series, #2)
  • Blood Alone (Austra Family, #2)
  • The Vampire Sextette
  • Bitter Blood
  • Cameo the Assassin (Trilogy of Shadows, #1)
  • A Dozen Black Roses (Sonja Blue, #4)
A professional writer for more than forty years, Yarbro has sold over eighty books, more than seventy works of short fiction, and more than three dozen essays, introductions, and reviews. She also composes serious music. Her first professional writing - in 1961-1962 - was as a playwright for a now long-defunct children's theater company. By the mid-60s she had switched to writing stories and hasn' ...more
More about Chelsea Quinn Yarbro...

Saint-Germain (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Hôtel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1)
  • The Palace (Saint-Germain, #2)
  • Path of the Eclipse (Saint-Germain, #4)
  • Tempting Fate (Saint-Germain, #5)
  • The Saint-Germain Chronicles (Saint-Germain, #6)
  • Darker Jewels (Saint-Germain, #7)
  • Better in the Dark (Saint-Germain, #8)
  • Mansions of Darkness (Saint-Germain, #9)
  • Writ in Blood (Saint-Germain, #10)
  • Blood Roses (Saint-Germain, #11)