Start by marking “The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage (The Five Find-Outers, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage (The Five Find-Outers, #12)

The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage

(The Five Find-Outers #12)

A missing picture, a locked-up house, and a white poodle all come togther to make up the mystery of Tally-Ho cottage. It seems insoluble until Fatty has a brainwave- to Mr Goon's disgust. ...more
Published August 1996 by Mammoth (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage

Start your review of The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage (The Five Find-Outers, #12)
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Findouters challenge: book 12. I started the Findouters challenge last October and have been reading these books in order since. Last month I took a bit of a ‘break’ from it as I was reading mainly historical fiction. But now I’m back to it, and plan to finish the series this month. The Mystery of Tally-ho Cottage was a book I last read many years ago, probably still in school, but not after unlike some of the other books in the series so all I really remembered about it was that it had the Lark ...more
Ririn Aziz
I think I have read too much mysteries. I can spot the solution right from the beginning.

The Five-Find-Outers (and Dog) mysteries lately has become more and more Fatty's. The others did assist, but all the important acts seemed to come from Fatty. He's brilliant, very brave and not afraid to investigate and try many unconventional things (these were mostly the things that put him above average boy his age) and I have to say a great leader. And others seemed to fade away as sidekicks only.

And I'm
Kavita
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: uk, children, mystery
When the Hiltons and the Daykins go to the station to meet Fatty, they encounter a gang of people and a dog. Looks like the couple is going away leaving the dog behind with the servants. Later on, the five find out that there is a missing painting and the couple who just left are prime suspects. But where are they? And where is the painting hidden?

Ern makes an appearance in this one, which always is more enjoyable. He is packed off to his aunt's place, which is right next door to the couple's ho
Abigail
The twelfth in Enid Blyton's fifteen-book Five Find-Outers and Dog series, in which a group of British schoolchildren play detective on their holidays, The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage sees Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pip, and Bets (along with Buster the dog) engaged in a case involving a stolen painting and a couple of thieves on the run. When the elegant Lorenzos disappear from their rented home at Tally-Ho House, the entire country is put on the alert, and the Find-Outers keep watch at the cottage of ...more
s ⚢
May 22, 2022 added it
this was like.. the book that got me into reading as a child and i never realized how blatantly racist it was? i mean i was five but still! never trusting white middle grade authors again
Robin Rowles
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: influence
"A very fine mystery - there's more than meat on this rubber bone!"

Book twelve in this series was first published in 1954, and for me, it stands the test of time!
The Five Find-Outers: Fatty, Pip, Daisy, Larry and Bets - along with Buster, the dog, are soon on the trail of the thieves! The Lorenzos, tenants of Tally-Ho cottage, have vanished - just leaving behind their precious poodle, Poppet, with Mr and Mrs Larkin.
A priceless old picture is discovered to be stolen from a famous gallery.

Fatty ne
Aarja
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fatty does have brains!!
Sherry Heather
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, mystery
loving the villains' eccentric personality! and poppet! ...more
Aesthetic-Deccie
Jun 15, 2022 rated it really liked it
Cool amazing book great mystery but I called the twist but a hard mystery great book
Ananya
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
It was good but since not a lot was happening in the middle, i got bored while reading it. These mysteries are definitely Blyton's more mature and complicated ones.
Though I don't like the fact that only one character does all the work. And he's a bit annoying too. I'd have liked it more had Blyton allowed the other 4 to do more than marvel at Fatty's brain.
Maria Carmo
It is always enchanting to revisit our infancy, through the menas of these Blyton adventures!

And it is also refreshing the way the Author manages to pass sound, lovely humor!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 20 February 2021.
Uyen
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty decent MYSTERY book for MYSTERY lover! Would recommend this book for children's of all ages! ...more
Juvenal Nkeramahame
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A goodread for children or the beginner-of-whodunits.
Darshana Unnikrishnan
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
good one :-) my first one in 5 find-outer series i guess :-) fatty's disguise is nice :-) ...more
Farseer
Oct 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
I think this is a good Five-Outer mystery. But as I have commented in some previous reviews, I'm getting a little tired of this series. They are detective stories, and they don't capture my inner-child's imagination as much as Blyton's adventure stories. I thought the mystery in this one was pretty interesting, although unfortunately I guessed it quite early, so that spoils a lot of the fun of reading a mystery story. I'm sure that younger readers, who are the target audience, after all, will fi ...more
Izzy
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved an Enid Blyton book, and this one was no exception. I love being able to work out the mystery with the Find-Outers, and I did manage to figure out two things before them in this book. I would recommend this book to all ages - including adults who like Enid Blyton. It’s a very quick and easy read, and you don’t really need to read the previous books. I hope anyone who reads it enjoys it.
Saffron Mavros
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
For young minds, these books proved to be so thrilling, the zest, the tumble into adventures, cracking puzzles, finding clues and finally putting criminals and robbers behind bars!

The mystery series were one of the best series in the Enid Blyton collection. The English highlands, and moors, the prolific city life and the extremely enigmatic children finding their way around, made for some of the best reads as a kid.
K.L.
Oct 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, vintage
On the trail of con artists and thieves, the FFO enlist Ern and his cousins to keep watch on the neighbouring Larkins to find out all he can. Why are there arrange noises in the night? Why are the once cruel Larkins suddenly so kind to their mistresses little poodle, and where on earth is the missing painting.
Hysterical moment when Fatty disguised as Larkin comes across the REAL Larkin, and they are both discovered by Goon😂
Colin
Jun 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing mystery

A large house and a small cottage on the grounds of Tally-Ho.

An old couple live in Tally-Ho cottage and a rather mysterious couple live the large house.

Rather unexpectedly the large house becomes empty, the question is,why?

A framed picture worth £500,000 goes missing at the same time.

So, what is happening with these strange events going on?

The Find Outers make it their business to find out just what is going on!
Isha Rajendra Rokade
It is a story of five friends named Fatty, Pip, Larry, Bets, Daisy and Ern
In this story the five find outers try to solve the mystery of a very costly painting stolen by the Lorenzos. They do not get any clue in the starting but at least because of Ern's tree house one night Ern got a clue and the five find outers started the trailing again and at last Fatty solved the mystery.

Putri Nata
Mar 21, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,3/5. The more I red it, the more I knew how the culprit disguise as the other characters. I quite enjoyed reading this series, but the only thing that bother me is when I found harsh words among the stories. I know that this is Enid Blyton’s style and it was okay in that period when she wrote it. I don’t think it’ll be well-received nowadays tho.
Beth
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I re-read these books the more I love them. A good old fashioned mystery which brings back so many childhood memories. I love that they are still being published in new styles so new generations of readers have the pleasure of discovering them!
Derelict Space Sheep
A rather sombre mystery. Blyton rehashes several familiar plot devices but scripts little investigation and few hijinks. Goon is at his least likeable and Fatty his most fallible, while the other Find-Outers contribute virtually nothing (save yet another epiphany-inducing comment from Bets).
Catherine Ryan
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable Blyton mystery that I read many years ago, now available on Kindle
Lynne
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pure childhood nostalgia. Great stuff.
Jasvinder Singh
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I read as a kid. Love it
AKK
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fatty does have brains!!
Saloni Porwal
Please visit our blog for Quick Book Reviews https://salonivibhi.blogspot.com. We upload fun reviews along with short summaries. You can comment with books that you would like us to review. ...more
Josiah
Mar 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Pleasant and unpredictable little mystery.
Madhuri
Sep 24, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Calling the twist as an adult doesn't give you the same kick as calling it as a child. Loved this book and deep regrets of not reading it when I was younger. Love Enid Blyton, forever :D ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Add book cover 6 15 Sep 16, 2018 12:48PM

• The Mystery of the Missing Money (The Mystery Series, Short Story, #1)
  • Mystery of the Theatre Ghost (Secret Seven)
  • Tinkle Digest 15
  • Pretty Girl-13
  • Tinkle Digest 41
  • The Man from the Egg: Unusual Tales about the Trinity
  • Merry Christmas, Geronimo! (Geronimo Stilton, #12)
  • The Sixth Form at St. Clare's
  • The Secret Seven: Mystery Of The Skull
  • All Because of a Cup of Coffee (Geronimo Stilton, #10)
  • It's Halloween, You 'Fraidy Mouse! (Geronimo Stilton, #11)
  • The Unforgotten Coat
  • Stig of the Dump
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • Deception (Lady Grace Mysteries, #4)
  • The Kidnapped King (A to Z Mysteries, #11)
  • Red Pizzas for a Blue Count (Geronimo Stilton, #7)
  • The Naughtiest Girl Keeps a Secret