Start by marking “The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage (The Five Find-Outers, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage (The Five Find-Outers, #12)

The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage

(The Five Find-Outers #12)

A missing picture, a locked-up house, and a white poodle all come togther to make up the mystery of Tally-Ho cottage. It seems insoluble until Fatty has a brainwave- to Mr Goon's disgust.
Published August 1996 by Mammoth (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage

Start your review of The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage (The Five Find-Outers, #12)
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Findouters challenge: book 12. I started the Findouters challenge last October and have been reading these books in order since. Last month I took a bit of a ‘break’ from it as I was reading mainly historical fiction. But now I’m back to it, and plan to finish the series this month. The Mystery of Tally-ho Cottage was a book I last read many years ago, probably still in school, but not after unlike some of the other books in the series so all I really remembered about it was that it had the Lark ...more
Kavita
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, uk, mystery
When the Hiltons and the Daykins go to the station to meet Fatty, they encounter a gang of people and a dog. Looks like the couple is going away leaving the dog behind with the servants. Later on, the five find out that there is a missing painting and the couple who just left are prime suspects. But where are they? And where is the painting hidden?

Ern makes an appearance in this one, which always is more enjoyable. He is packed off to his aunt's place, which is right next door to the couple's ho
Abigail
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the 'Five Find-Outers' Series
The twelfth in Enid Blyton's fifteen-book Five Find-Outers and Dog series, in which a group of British schoolchildren play detective on their holidays, The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage sees Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pip, and Bets (along with Buster the dog) engaged in a case involving a stolen painting and a couple of thieves on the run. When the elegant Lorenzos disappear from their rented home at Tally-Ho House, the entire country is put on the alert, and the Find-Outers keep watch at the cottage of ...more
Robin Rowles
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: influence
"A very fine mystery - there's more than meat on this rubber bone!"

Book twelve in this series was first published in 1954, and for me, it stands the test of time!
The Five Find-Outers: Fatty, Pip, Daisy, Larry and Bets - along with Buster, the dog, are soon on the trail of the thieves! The Lorenzos, tenants of Tally-Ho cottage, have vanished - just leaving behind their precious poodle, Poppet, with Mr and Mrs Larkin.
A priceless old picture is discovered to be stolen from a famous gallery.

Fatty ne
Sherry Heather
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, mystery
loving the villains' eccentric personality! and poppet!
Uyen
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty decent MYSTERY book for MYSTERY lover! Would recommend this book for children's of all ages!
Juvenal Nkeramahame
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A goodread for children or the beginner-of-whodunits.
Aarja
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fatty does have brains!!
Darshana Unnikrishnan
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
good one :-) my first one in 5 find-outer series i guess :-) fatty's disguise is nice :-)
Izzy
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved an Enid Blyton book, and this one was no exception. I love being able to work out the mystery with the Find-Outers, and I did manage to figure out two things before them in this book. I would recommend this book to all ages - including adults who like Enid Blyton. It’s a very quick and easy read, and you don’t really need to read the previous books. I hope anyone who reads it enjoys it.
Leena Altaf
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This mystery got my mind working on it a lot. When Bets mentioned Mrs Larkin was now very kind to Poppet, I thought that Poppet wasn't Poppet, but some other dog and the Lorenzos took her overnight when Ern heard a "car" and some voices. I was close in the end as it turned out it was the Larkins who weren't really the Larkins but were the Lorenzos (sorry for the spoiler). This was a fun mystery and I want to be able to solve mysteries like these.
Ananya
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: already-bought
It was good but since not a lot was happening in the middle, i got bored while reading it. These mysteries are definitely Blyton's more mature and complicated ones.
Though I don't like the fact that only one character does all the work. And he's a bit annoying too. I'd have liked it more had Blyton allowed the other 4 to do more than marvel at Fatty's brain.
Isha Rajendra Rokade
It is a story of five friends named Fatty, Pip, Larry, Bets, Daisy and Ern
In this story the five find outers try to solve the mystery of a very costly painting stolen by the Lorenzos. They do not get any clue in the starting but at least because of Ern's tree house one night Ern got a clue and the five find outers started the trailing again and at last Fatty solved the mystery.

Beth
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I re-read these books the more I love them. A good old fashioned mystery which brings back so many childhood memories. I love that they are still being published in new styles so new generations of readers have the pleasure of discovering them!
Catherine Ryan
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable Blyton mystery that I read many years ago, now available on Kindle
Lynne
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pure childhood nostalgia. Great stuff.
Jasvinder Singh
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I read as a kid. Love it
Nadette Xuereb
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good when compared to the last few books. I love that I didn't guess or remember what had happened this time, unlike other times. What I don't like is that only Fatty and Bets seem to have brains, the others never do anything.
cheryse wandslyte
A wonderful story as always.

Loved reading this to my child and they e noted it too. They could not get to bed quick enough to hear more
Jake Collins
Feb 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book manages to be extremely stupid, boring and offensive all at the same time. Quite a feat!
Rhiannon Mudford
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it

When the Lorenzo’s go away leaving their house locked up and their precious white poodle with their gamekeeper and wife, it is assumed by the village that they have gone on holiday. However when a priceless picture goes missing from a famous art gallery and the Lorenzo’s fit the description for the criminals behind it, alarm bells start to ring. Mr Goon the local policeman is on the case; with a track record of not solving cases particularly quickly.

Can the Five Find-outers, a local group of ch
Sharath Sriram
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Personally, this is one of my favorite books in this series. I particularly love the climax....I generally love twists.
But yeah, the plot was predictable, very much predictable in fact, I could see the ending coming miles away. That was because there was no other outcome, it was very plain, there was no other theory in my mind, the fact that somebody was impersonating the Lorenzos was very obvious, you could guess it by the time you finish 40-50% of the book%
But yeah, given the fact that this b
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love these books when I was younger and read them all the time - they were my favourite Enid Blyton mystery series! Then the other day when my brother borrowed this one I re-read it to see if they were still as good as I remembered.
Long story short - I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The 'mystery' is rather simple for this Sherlock lover, and the form of solving it even more so, but the characters are still great. Fatty is decidedly a genius, and though this is still a ki
Melrose
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: readathon16
The 4 stars reflect my enjoyment of the books as a kid. As an adult rereading the book, I'd probably rate it somewhere between 2-3 stars. The mystery in this one is decent, but once again it's Freddy being awesome and everyone else going "oh wow, Freddy, you're so awesome!"

(as a kid, I was very impressed by Freddy too)
***
Η επιμέλεια των βιβλίων (στην έκδοση που διάβασα εγώ, αυτή που κυκλοφορούσε και στα παιδικά μου χρόνια) είναι επιεικώς άθλια: "απίδια" αντί για "παιδιά", "πραμαγτικά" σε 2 περιπ
Sean Harding
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: blyton-enid
Book twelve out of fifteen of the Five Find Outers mysteries, and the last one I believe I read as a child, although my memories of this one are more vague, but the title was strong in my mind.
Don't expect much different from the previous eleven books, although it really could now be the two find outers and dog.
I wouldn't mind a series about Fatty and Bets when they are older, and presumably marries as maybe private eyes, or solving crimes anyways.
Anyway another fairly decent five find outers
A.R. Collins
I knew what the picture thieves were going to do to hide themselves long before they actually did it, but the Find-Outers weren't too annoying in their blindness this time. Bets is very much on the ball in this one, and poor downtrodden Ern even has his moment of brilliance, as well as providing a healthy dose of humour at intervals throughout the story.
Malaika
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
good book .read only half
Alma
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Read this as part of a 3-story compilation of Enid Blyton's Five Found-Outers and a Dog. I still have that thing somwhere.
Tommy Verhaegen
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, paper_nl
Exciting. Major part for Ernst which is refreshing.
Daksh Dheer
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A phenomenal book, as expected of Enid Blyton. Has mystery and suspense in plenty, neither lacking in humor nor in interest. A good read!
Goodreads Librari...: Add book cover 6 15 Sep 16, 2018 12:48PM

• Pretty Girl-13
  • One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2)
  • Thea Stilton and the Dragon's Code (Thea Stilton #1)
  • Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye (Geronimo Stilton, #1)
  • The Problem That Has No Name
  • Why I Am Not Going to Buy a Computer
  • Of Dogs and Walls
  • Fame
  • Madame du Deffand and the Idiots
  • Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1)
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Wie zint op wraak
  • Cyber-Thief Showdown (Geronimo Stilton #68)
  • The Mystery of Smugglers Cove (The Mystery Series #1)