Start by marking “Once More, Miranda” as Want to Read:
Once More, Miranda

Once More, Miranda

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
There has never been a heroine as feisty and bright as Miranda James... Never a hero as sexy and masculine as Cameron Gordon. Meet Miranda James. As a ragged pickpocket, she stole the Londoners' money. As a celebrated novelist, she stole their hearts. But only one man could capture Miranda's love...
Published April 12th 1983 by Ballantine (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Once More, Miranda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once More, Miranda

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I am trash for these vintage romance novels. Even the bad ones, there's something special about them. Modern romance novels just aren't written like these any more - the covers don't look like this any more - and I don't know, guys, but it's like discovering some ancient artifact in your backyard, except replace backyard with "bookstore."

Jennifer Wilde is the pen name of male author, T.E. Huff. He is probably most well-known for his bodice
Treece
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3 1/2

Warning : Beware. This is old skool bodice-ripper country. There are triggers in this novel.

Otherwise-

The reason this book got such a high rating is that main character, Miranda/Randy James aka "Duchess Randy" is amazing. "Duchess Randy" is her street-cred name in St Giles, a hell-hole of poverty, slovenliness, and crime. She's tough, intelligent, resilient and compassionate. Her narrative will make you laugh and cheer her on. Then there's her bad taste in men--or rather a man.

Cam
Mermarie
Part of my abject fascination with Jennifer Wilde, revolves around the fact that Jennifer Wilde was merely a pseudonym for Thomas Huff, a male romance novel writer! and the other reasoning came when I discovered he somewhat resembled Cam Gordon, when he was younger. I’m always eager to hear romance spoken from a male perspective, well—if it’s genuine enough. Beer-chugging robot sex-slaves could make it less than worth my while, you see.

The two love stories wrapped into one, was a delightful addi
Misfit
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hmmm. How to recap this without giving too much away? Plus it's been days since I finished it.

The details of the birth and early childhood of Miranda James are pretty complicated, plus you don't want me spoiling it. So let's just say she was the legitimate daughter of the younger brother of some lordling in Cornwall who wed the governess. Tragic events happened that resulted in mom and daughter being sent away with enough money to live comfortably on, but more tragic events happened and they bec
Joanne
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Miranda James is simply one of the most memorable heroines in historical romance, definitely worthy of taking her place alongside other feisty characters such as Amber St. Clare and Scarlett O'Hara!

From the very first page, I just became absorbed in the story and got completely lost in another world. Great storytelling, rich settings and colorful characters entertain from start to finish. A lonely governess, a sinister master, pirates, prostitutes, actors, authors, pickpockets, dukes, and scoun
Monique
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this years ago, and I really enjoyed it. The historical backdrop was on point, and the H/h were great...nothing like a feisty brainy homeless chick and a hot brooding dude who is a total slob around the house.
Nastassja
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to read a clever historical romance with believable characters
Real rating 3.7 stars

Very refreshing historical romance novel we've got here. It was a joy to read. I picked this book, because I was very intrigued to read a historical romance novel written by a man. Honestly, I did not expect this book to be interesting, never thought that a man can actually write such a book and especially from female point of view.

Well, I confess I was a little prejudiced at the beginning, but eventually all my worries were unnecessary. Once More, Miranda is a wonderful bo

Regan Walker
Superb storytelling with great historical detail and a Scot in 18th Century London

Set in England in the mid 18th century, just after Culloden when the Scots were brutally hunted down and killed by the Duke of Cumberland (“the most hated man in England, a bloodthirsty villain”), this is the story of Cameron (“Cam”) Gordon, a Scot who did not support the cause because he believed it doomed to failure. But once the battle was over, he gave the proceeds of his successful career as a writer of fictio
Patricia Burroughs
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Well. Where to begin?

Trigger warning: romanticizes physical abuse. And I don't mean in the BDSM way, though the way it's written it's clear that Miranda, the heroine, holds her own and then some. You could also say it's a story of empowerment, ultimately, and that would be true. But if domestic abuse and a hero and heroine who have knock-down fights is going to trigger bad things for you, avoid this one.

This was my favorite Jennifer Wilde from "back in the day," though all I remembered about it
Shannon
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read this book perhaps twenty years ago and loved it. LOVED it. The witty dialog, the fun characters, the pluck of the heroine...did I mention that I loved it?

Then I read it again recently. It could be too many women's history classes in college, but I could not get past what is clearly domestic violence. The heroine and hero, Miranda and Cam, have violent fights followed up by violent sex. Cam chokes Miranda to the point that she nearly passes out, and yet she stays with him and is even happy
jen8998
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is an interesting narrative of Miranda, a girl from the streets of London in the 1800s who works her way up to become a celebrated author. However, the book is marred for me since it comes from the era of bodice rippers and there's a short passage in which the hero becomes violent with the heroine.
Katie
Adventure and romance
Rebecca Dombrowski
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really a phenomenally written book! I don't usually like stories about the Medival times, or any history related fiction actually. But this book had me hooked! I couldn't wait to find out what Miranda would do in each deplorable situation she was put into, and how she would get out on top!
Fantastic plot, storyline kept me engaged, besides the descriptions of what everyone was wearing, but the book is so long, I skipped over most of those and still was reading for months.
Loved it and love this a
Nanette Marakovitz
Loved it

A wonderfully well written book that will stir up every emotion inside you. Full of adventure and twist of fate. Wow. Just. Wow.
Mary
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just couldn't finish this book and put it aside at about chapter 4. Perhaps I should have tried harder because I never got to the part of the plot that caused me to start it in the first place - the Jacobites in England - since it seemed like the sappiest, worst kind of historical romance novel as far as I got.
Sukanya Bhattacharya
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked, absolutely hooked to Jennifer Wilde (Tom E. Huff, actually) from the time I had started reading "Love's Tender Fury" and although he gave me quite a few moments to rant and rave about, especially his tendency to involve more than one heroes, I fell in love with his writing and it has been absolutely incomparable!

Once More, Miranda is a delight, not only because it sticks to one hero, but also because it is a delightful read! It puts light on the unfortunate people from the downtro
Vivisection
I must have read this book at least 3 or 4 times when I was fifteen. Thirty odd years later and I had forgotten nearly every single plot event in this book. Seriously.

I just remember loving the heroine and the feisty nature of Duchess Randy and the colorful antics of the post Restoration literati--Samuel Johnson, David Garrick etc.

As a grown woman, though, I can totally tell it was written by a man. Cam lays one or two quick kisses on Miranda followed by a boob grab before he jumps Miranda's bo
Felicediesseredonna
Avventuroso a dir poco, ambientato in una Londra difficile dai sobborghi fumosi, in cui la gente sopravvive con mille espedienti, ma lei non si vende, ruba, ma non vende la sua bellezza. Il lui di questa storia è duro, non ricalca nessun altro personaggio che io avessi incontrato fino a questo libro. Questo è un punto di merito, perché non è banale e il rapporto tra i due è conflittuale, passionale, profondo e mai risolto.
La coppia è davvero unica, vivace, memorabile. Anche la Wilde è una sorpre
Toniwake
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this sooooo long ago! A fairly quintessential trashy romance novel..
Maggie61
Jennifer Wilde wrote great historical fiction in the 80's - she was one of my favourites authors, then just disappeared. I loved everything I read of hers.
J.R. Broome
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good page turner

Excellent writing, this author's descriptions put you in the settings. Couldn't put it down until I finished it. Good story, lots of twists and great characters.
Nikki Golden
Pamela
Dec 20, 2017
Julia Griffith
Apr 30, 2017
  • Dark Before the Rising Sun (Dominick, #3)
  • Bold Breathless Love
  • My Lord Monleigh
  • While Passion Sleeps (Louisiana #8)
  • Rose of Rapture
  • The Black Swan
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • The Wildest Heart
  • Love's Wild Desire
  • Savage Surrender
Jennifer Wilde is a pseudonym of T. E. Huff (Thomas Elmer Huff). He also wrote under the names Edwina Marlow and Beatrice Parker.
More about Jennifer Wilde...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)