Start by marking “Ending Slavery: How We Free Today's Slaves” as Want to Read:
Ending Slavery: How We Free Today's Slaves

Ending Slavery: How We Free Today's Slaves

In his 1999 book, Disposable People, Kevin Bales brought to light the shocking fact of modern slavery and described how, nearly two hundred years after the slave trade was abolished (legal slavery would have to wait another fifty years), global slavery stubbornly persists. In Ending Slavery, Bales again grapples with the struggle to end this ancient evil and presents the i ...more
Published September 28th 2007 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2007)

Claudia Glezz Cisneros
Los esclavos del siglo XXI son una inmensa legión: 27 millones de personas. Tienen tres cosas en común: se les ha quitado la voluntad, se les controla con la violencia, se les explota economicamente.Y no sólo en los paises en via de desarrollo, sino tambén en los Estados Unidos y Japón. Bales es presidente de Free the Slave y autor de algunos otros libros sobre el tema, es un especialista en la lucha contra la esclavitud y lleva años conduciendo investigaciones para entender el fenómeno y las ma ...more
Mary Harley
I try to keep on top of social issues and human injustices - but I have to confess my naivete about the prevalent worldwide existence of slavery, even in our own country. Kevin Bales, president of Free the Slaves, gives detailed accounts of slavery and traces the cycle of loss of human dignity that follows it. He asserts throughout the book that slavery has existed for over five thousand years, but for many reasons there has never been a better opportunity than now to completely eradicate it. A ...more
Rebekah Gamble
This is a book that's easy to recommend, despite the fact that some of the statistics provided may be slightly dated. Kevin Bales has done an excellent job of spearheading much of the modern world's abolition work and in bringing education to the people in an approachable, digestible way. This book, along with Disposable People, provides a strong foundation in understanding the modern day issues and situation around slavery in our world today from child slavery to sex slavery to labor slavery, t ...more
Josephine
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think there are a lot of us out there who are surprised when we first hear that slavery still exists today — and while reading books like Bales’ groundbreaking “Disposable People” is important to become aware of how there are actually 27 million people out there who are currently enslaved, it’s equally important to read a book like Bales’ follow-up, “Ending Slavery,” where he only introduces us to modern-day abolitionists who were so horrified by what they learned and witnessed that they start ...more
Cheryl
The book was eye-opening. It isn't easy to read, nor is it a quick read. It is full of lots of details, statistics, stories and information. I felt overwhelmed quite often with so much information. The stories of the children and young adults who are enslaved in countries like the US and Japan is heartrendering. It is also a book of heroes. Those who don't look the other way when a neighbor has an unexplained child who cleans their house or is being used as a prostitute. Those who understand the ...more
Sarabeara
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is an eye opening read, although some parts of it may drag because it is so information filled, it is a book well worth reading if you have any passion or care at all about your fellow human beings. I was amazed, surprised and dumbfounded at the information I read, I couldn't believe how ignorant I have been in regards to slavery, with all the free trade situations coming out into the open now this book was just such an informative, eye opening, mind blowing read. Although I am not equ ...more
Todd Kruse
Jul 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Clearly modern day slavery is alive and well but not very transparent in our world. I found Bales' book to be informative and full of passion but his faith in the United Nations being a resource is a mystery to me given their history of gridlock, corruption, and incompetence. A much better solution would be for the world community to move the United Nations from New York City to the developing world such as India since most of Bales' book discusses slavery in that country.
Dale
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
An Important Book

Published in 2007 by University of California Press.
274 pages.

So, who is surprised to hear that there are still slaves in this modern world in such places as India, Burma, Brazil, Haiti, Maryland and San Diego? What - Maryland? San Diego? Sadly, yes. Approximately 27 million of them...

Read more at: http://dwdsreviews.blogspot.com/2011/...
Rodger
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book won the 2011 Grawemeyer Award for Ideas Improving World Order, a $100,000 prize. Disclosure: I administer the prize. As the title suggests, this book suggests and evaluates a large number of policies and practices that might be employed to bring an end to modern slavery (a problem often referenced more narrowly as "human trafficking")
Curtis
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is the definitive guide for information on modern slavery and human trafficking. So indepth and insightful, reaching every level of involvement. Eye opening in it’s look into the products we use daily and their connection to slavery. Recommended for everyone wanting to understand the problem (and possible solutions) of slavery today.
Danielle
Jan 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: real
This is an amazing text! Very easy to read, which is unique for such heavy material. It really brings the problem and potential solutions into focus- clearly, as if you were sitting in the room with Bales coming to the conclusions on your own. Every idea/fact is backed up by real-life stories told in detail.
May Ling
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history-other
I don't want to be too harsh as anyone attempting to tackle this issue is worthy of commendation. This particular book was difficult in that it was a little too factual and not enough of the other stuff, which likely would have been grotesque and horrible.

For anyone learning about this subject I would suggest the book on Somali Mamm also in my lists.
Adrienne
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
A bit text-book-ish, but he sucks you in with heartbreaking stories, introduces you to heroes, and presents intellectual and sound ideas of ways YOU can help. Not your neighbor, not your second cousin twice-removed... how YOU can start doing something.
Suzahn
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Packed with great info, but when it comes to the action centered parts of the books, his best advice is 'donate money'. I guess that this is the most some people can do. But if that is seriously his only advice, I would like the money that I payed for the book back so that I can donate it.
Kelsey
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really enjoying this book so far, it is full of practical advice about how to end modern slavery, whether that be as a career or as an ordinary local. Of course there are the necessary traumatic stories, but for the most part it is very directed and gives positive outlines of action.
Doni
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A tough but important read.
Sarah Eisele
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly dense book, but unlike some of the other books on slavery, this not only tells stories but gives the facts, figures, and the 'how to' of ending slavery.
Samantha
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I learned so much about the world from this book. Frankly, more than I ever wanted to know about the United Nations, haha. But honestly, this isn't a riveting read, its more informative.
Louise Chambers
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent statistics! Ways that ordinary people can help end slavery that exists now.
Victoria
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
Very informative book. Had a lot of insight of how we could fight slavery and help work on ending it. It gave great accounts of people who were in bondage as well.
Lora Offord
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Slavery is all around us. It's just not as obvious. The author has some good ideas about how to end slavery, but I think it's a huge task and it will be very difficult to achieve.
Benjamin Flores
I actually did not finish this book.
Alisa
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Kevin Bales is my new hero! Did you know there are more people enslaved today than there were enslaved in the entire transatlantic slave trade era? Oh you should read his book!
Jonathan
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking, difficult, depressing, hopeful.
Mariana
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are many things we can do to end slavery.
Wendy Lu
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
i've got less notes from this but most of it doesn't fall within the scope of our thingy so that's okay
Rushay Booysen
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ending slavery globally.Kevin Bales shows the far impacting effect of slavery.If you thought slavery existed many years ago think again its still operational up til this very day.
Anna
May 04, 2011
Mary
Oct 03, 2013
Eric Ogi
Feb 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Terrify No More: Young Girls Held Captive and the Daring Undercover Operation to Win Their Freedom
  • The Natashas: Inside the New Global Sex Trade
  • Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern Slavery
  • Not for Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade—and How We Can Fight It
  • A Crime So Monstrous: Face-to-Face with Modern-Day Slavery
  • Slave Hunter: One Man's Global Quest to Free Victims of Human Trafficking
  • Somebody's Daughter: The Hidden Story of America's Prostituted Children and the Battle to Save Them
  • Selling Olga: Stories of Human Trafficking
  • God in a Brothel: An Undercover Journey Into Sex Trafficking and Rescue
  • Enslaved: True Stories of Modern Day Slavery
  • Renting Lacy: A Story Of America's Prostituted Children (A Call to Action)
  • The Slave Across the Street: The True Story of How an American Teen Survived the World of Human Trafficking
  • Be the Change: Your Guide to Freeing Slaves and Changing the World
  • The Comfort Women: Japan's Brutal Regime of Enforced Prostitution in the Second World War
  • Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls are Not for Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself
  • Free the Children: A Young Man Fights Against Child Labor and Proves that Children Can Change the World
  • Jantsen's Gift: A True Story of Grief, Rescue, and Grace
  • Human Trafficking
Why I had to write Blood and Earth ...

For years I traveled the world meeting people in slavery trying to understand the depth and truth of their lives. What I saw, heard, and learned changed me, and led me deeper into the work of ending slavery, but I was missing something important. Where there are slaves, the environment is under assault, forests are being destroyed, endangered species are dying