Start by marking “The Wooden Bowl: Simple Meditations for Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
The Wooden Bowl: Simple Meditations for Everyday Life

The Wooden Bowl: Simple Meditations for Everyday Life

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"In poetic simplicity, Clark Strand makes meditation as effortless as breathing, as intimate as a heartbeat, as joyous as a child." --Hugh Prather, author of Notes to Myself and Spiritual Parenting"I asked myself one question: Was there a way for people to slow down and experience themselves, their lives, and other people in the present moment without adopting a new religi ...more
Paperback
Published May 24th 2000 by Hyperion (first published July 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Wooden Bowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wooden Bowl

Jill
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
After nearly two months, I finally finished this book; and while I didn't exactly enjoy reading the book, I do think I got some important lessons out of it. The premise of the book, I realized after reading, is deconstructing the ideas and rules and all the extra stuff we imagine goes along with meditation and turning it into a simple act of experiencing the present. I was expecting, however, to reveil some sort of miraculous secret to meditating - which in hind sight was a little unrealistic - ...more
Steve
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best, clearest books on meditation I know. I've read/own at least 50 books on the subject (I know, I know), and this is the one I come back to most often. Re-reading it is a meditative experience. Beautifully written and crystal clear, this is the book I'd most recommend to anyone with an interesting in starting a meditation practice.
Barry
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Meditation. Just meditation. No religion, no mysticism, just meditation for its own sake. Not exactly an instruction manual, just simple, low key, beautifully written reflections on what meditation is and isn't. The most accessible writing on the subject I have come across.
Corinne
May 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people like you
This is a refreshingly openminded book on meditation. It is an easy read and sits like your favorite warm grandma. Not for the pretentious.
Amy Ingalls
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A very easy to read book that takes all of the preconceived ideas out of meditation and boils it it down the the basic, essential idea of being present.
Ericka
Apr 29, 2008 added it
Picked this find up at a thrift store. How could I not love a book title by the name of The Wooden Bowl? But so far, in my read of it, Strand, for being a former buddhist monk, hmmm, he's not too enlightening;-).
Kaitlin
The Wooden Bowl: Simple Meditations for Everyday Life by Clark Strand (2000)
William Hecht