Start by marking “Song of Redemption” as Want to Read:
Song of Redemption

Song of Redemption (Chronicles of the Kings #2)

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  5,238 Ratings  ·  275 Reviews
This powerful dramatization of King Hezekiah's life and faith surges forward.
Published May 1st 2005 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 22nd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Song of Redemption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of Redemption

Karen
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book on Saturday, I'm almost finished. I am loving this series. They are very exciting and I love the separate stories of each character. Some people have commented on how modern the language is for being a biblical fiction. I love that the language is modern, to me, it is so much easier to read - I know it isn't how they talked back then, but if I read it in that language I would constantly be trying to determine the meanings. I love how I can completely understand the story, rel ...more
Leann
Song of Redemption is the second book in the Chronicles of the Kings series about the life of King Hezekiah of Judah, who's story is told in 2 Chronicles, 2 Kings, and Isaiah in the Bible.

I only bought Song of Redemption because Ms. Austin cruelly started a romance at the end of Book 1, and I HAD to see how it panned out. Ironically, the romances in this series are not heavy-handed, and the culmination of the aforementioned romance was not what I expected.

However, the rest of the book was very e
Becky
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. For me, it is a 5-star rating. Why is that? This novel earned my elusive 5-star rating because of the self-examination it stirred within my soul. When I find myself thinking about my own life and evaluating my faith and my convictions long after finishing a book, the author gets the rating. In addition, it sparked some pretty good conversations with my teenage son.

Was the writing perfect? No. However, the author is bringing the Old Testament to life. She doesn’t avoid the hard
Kathryn
There were some great concepts in this - especially the idea of giving God a part of ourself, but not surrendering all aspects of our lives.

I didn’t start keeping track of quotes straight away, but these were 2 I liked once I did start noting them down:
“…it had never occurred to him to call on Yahweh for help. He had shut God out of his life, living his own way, on his own strength. And that was arrogant pride.”
“He had tried to trust in God yet control his own life at the same time, trying to re
Kim
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I love about these books, is that Mrs. Austin does a masterful job of bringing the Kings to life.(as well as the other characters) I know for me, when I read my Bible, I don't think much about the day to day struggles the people in any particular book faced.
Lynn Austin has made me realize that these people had struggles and issues just like all of us! In this book, there are times King Hezekiah is conflicted,and trying to do what is right, but the situation seems hopeless. You will see
Oceana
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith-builders
A great sequel! It lagged in the beginning for me but by the middle and end I couldn't stop reading! So suspenseful. Greatly written to show the grace and power and glory of God.
June
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading a few books by Lynn Austin for a while now, this is about the second for the year. She is an award-winning author in Christian literature. She writes both historical and contemporary fiction. This is the second book in the Chronicles of the Kings series. This looks at the reign of Hezekiah in Judah in 761 BC. He has decided to trust Yahweh to guide his decisions and live according to the laws of Torah.

It will be hard for me to be distant in this review. This book has been su
Mae Clair
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second entry in Lynn Austin's Chronicles of the Kings series, this page-turner is every bit as gripping as the first. King Hezekiah has replaced his father Ahaz on the throne of David, tearing down all the shrines and altars his father erected to idols in Judah.

Hezekiah leads his people in returning to worship the God of Israel, and in so doing, Judah prospers. But he must also face the threat of the mighty Assyrian army that continues a reign of terror and slaughter, annihilating all who o
Joanie Standridge
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Very good fictional account of a true history story. I got to visit Israel in 2012 and again in 2013. In 2013, the group I traveled with, Aglow International, made Hezekiah's Tunnel one of our visit stops! It was really neat walking from one end of the tunnel to the other. The water was very cold, indeed enough to numb your feet and calves, just like the characters experienced. :). The water went up to just below knee level and sometimes near mid-thigh level. At times, as we were all fillin ...more
Andrea Di salvo
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-woven second book in a series that truly brings to life the biblical story of Hezekiah. Austin doesn't sugar-coat the characters or make them--or their faith--larger than life. Rather, the struggles they endured in trying to be faithful, the difficult choices they faced, can inspire the reader to stay the course in a sometimes similar environment of doubt and faithlessness. Highly recommend this whole series.
Jeanie
Faith is getting out of the way. God shows us thru the old testament how man gets in the way without the knowledge of the Lord and his character. How many times we take things in our own hands. The circumstances may not be the same but the results are the same. Gives you a greater understanding of how Faith is about the sovereignty of God.
Gale
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down! I believe the story is well written. I love how Austin keeps the different story lines and character perspectives going throughout the story. I am hooked and cannot wait to finish the series!
Kellie
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is still my favorite series along with Francine Rivers "Mark of the Lion" Trilogy. This will open up the Old Testament period to you, and guys will enjoy it just as much! LOVE it! I've read it over and over.
Oliver
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
couldn't put it down; could feel the characters emotions. much easier to visualize 7th century Jerusalem.
Louise
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story Description:

Baker Publishing Group | May 1, 2005 | Trade Paperback | ISBN 978-0-7642-2990-9

As King Hezekiah embraces God’s Law, he leads his country into renewed prosperity. But following the will of Yahweh is a perplexing process, requiring unpopular choices – for both his personal life and political career. Now his archenemy’s demands for tribute are forcing Hezekiah into a precarious situation.

Jerusha, a young Jewish woman far from home, has seen firsthand what the dreaded invaders are
Alyssa
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I enjoyed this second book more than the first book in the series, mostly because I was more invested in the characters and I felt their emotions were much more real. I love Biblical historical fiction, as it always drives me to my Bible to read the actual accounts first, but also gives me a much more vivid understanding of the emotions of all who were involved. Will definitely continue on with this series.
Jacob Gundestrup
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Det er ikke den bedste bog, jeg har læst. Men det er absolut en af de få bøger, der har hivet mig lyst til at smide mig på gulvet og råbe til min Gud og hulde ham for mit liv med alt, hvad det indebærer.

Fremragende og uventet dimension.

Konservativt og gammeldags? Nej det synes jeg ikke.
kathydee
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
February 13, 2017

I love seeing Biblical characters brought to life and not getting lost outside of its origins.
Cassandra
Favorite line - "You pray. And you allow the Lord to be your strength. Remember - the Lord doesn't give you strength, Hezekiah. He is your strength" (26).
Linda
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series. Adult Christian historical fiction focusing on life of King Hezekiah.
Marije Van
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik was vergeten hoe geweldig deze boeken waren.
Leslie
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A continuation of the life of King Hezekiah of the Old Testament. Really enjoyed this one also.
Liz
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite book series!!
Ruth
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After surviving a tumultuous childhood, when Hezekiah is at last crowned king of Judah he determines to purge his country of idolatry and return to the worship of Yahweh. But years of idol worship are not set aside so easily by all of his subjects, and his sweeping religious reforms meet with stiff opposition. When the Temple is rededicated and the celebratory feasts are re-established, Hezekiah sees the beginning of God's answer to his heart's cry -- his people are turning back to God, and pros ...more
Kate (Too Read or Not Too Read)
Song of Redemption takes place right where Gods and Kings end. Hezekiah is now king. Even though he has gone through so much as a child and leading up to him becoming king. Hezekiah now faces a tough challenge. It is trail for him and his faith. The last thing he wants to do is fail like his father and grandfathers before him.

Hezekiah takes to the throne not knowing what is awaiting him. What he finds is turmoil. No money in the treasury, a land full of idolators, and no one he can trust, but he
Connie
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this second book in Lynn Austin's Chronicles of the Kings series very much. Lynn Austin writes a strong narrative on Old Testament figures in the tradition of Anita Diamant's The Red Tent. Other reviewers have noted Austin's use of 21st century language to convey the fictionalized account of Judah's King Hezekiah, who ruled from 716 to 687 BC. On one or two occasions, the contemporary language was a bit much for me; the rest of the time it rang true. Song of Redemption includes the Hebre ...more
Gloria
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians; historical fiction lovers
This book continued the problems specified in my first review.

The book covered about four-to-six years of Hezekiah's reign of Judah. The first part has him just hearing about all that Yahweh instructed in the Torah for the nation and for himself. It also introduces Jerusha, an Israelite who was captured by the Assyrians. (He should have divorced his wife, and been a little more political with her - had spies.)

The second part continues following Jerusha, and now Hezekiah is preparing for Assyria
Cheryl Olson
"The Song of Redemption", the second offering in the "Chronicles of the Kings" series by Lynn Austin breathes life into the continuing saga of the reign of King Hezekiah. I don't know that I thought that I would have enjoyed these books as much as I have, but I will absolutely keep reading this series as Lynn Austin truly does a wonderful job bringing her characters to life with a fast paced tale.
King Hezekiah is truly beginning his reign and learning what it is to be a King who honors and fol
Sue
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm only at Chapter 11, but I can see that this story and its characters are not as well developed as those in the first book of this series. I will finish the book and hope for some better development along the way - I DO hate to leave a story unfinished. In this, the second of the series, the author seems to take the words and details of the Bible story and plant them on her own pages, unembellished, resulting in flatness. I wonder if she is as dissatisfied with the result as I am.

(I ultimatel
LeeAnn
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lynn Austin has made the Old Testament Kings and Prophets come to life. She did it in her first of this series, and she's done it again. When reading through the books of Isaiah and Micah, one can get lost without the background information such as the scene and the comings and goings of life that surrounded these warnings from God. The background story of an Israelite woman taken into captivity touched my heart. When I read, in my bible, from one paragraph to the next that one King obeyed the L ...more
  • Third Watch (A.D. Chronicles, #3)
  • Pearl in the Sand
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
  • The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement, #3)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • He Who Lifts the Skies (Genesis, #2)
  • City of the Dead (Seven Wonders, #1)
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • The Puritans (American Family Portrait #1)
  • White Nights, Red Morning (The Russians, #6)
  • Grace in Thine Eyes (Lowlands of Scotland, #4)
For many years, Lynn Austin nurtured a desire to write but frequent travels and the demands of her growing family postponed her career. When her husband's work took Lynn to Bogota, Colombia, for two years, she used the B.A. she'd earned at Southern Connecticut State University to become a teacher. After returning to the U.S., the Austins moved to Anderson, Indiana, Thunder Bay, Ontario, and later ...more
More about Lynn Austin...

Chronicles of the Kings (5 books)
  • Gods and Kings (Chronicles of the Kings, #1)
  • The Strength of His Hand (Chronicles of the Kings, #3)
  • Faith of My Fathers (Chronicles of the Kings, #4)
  • Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings, #5)
“You pray. And you allow the Lord to be your strength. Remember the Lord doesn't give you strength. He is your strength.” 17 likes
“Alliances with other nations lead to bondage," Zechariah explained. "Joseph started out as Pharaoh's trusted advisor in Egypt, but later generations ended up as slaves. And wasn't it Ahaz's so-called alliance with Assyria that led to our present slavery?” 3 likes