Start by marking “Hollywood Stories: Short, Entertaining Anecdotes About the Stars and Legends of the Movies!” as Want to Read:

“A WILD, FUN RIDE THROUGH TINSEL TOWN, PAST AND PRESENT!”
-- Jan Wahl, KCBS AM/FM & KRON-TV

At high noon on a cold November day in 1974, sixty-seven-year-old John Wayne faced off with the staff of the Harvard Lampoon on the famous campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The students had issued their challenge by calling the beloved American icon a fraud. Wayne, who had his
Published November 29th 2010 by Hollywood Stories Publishing (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hollywood Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollywood Stories

Matthew Dambro
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful guilty pleasure; simply a collection of gossip and anecdotes about the entertainment industry. It stretches from the silent era to today's movies. Loved it.
Mark Mallett
A bunch of short entries about Hollywood people. Of variable believability in whole or in part, but reasonably entertaining. I don't know why it took me so long to get through it.
Shawn Remfrey
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who has bigger biceps? Arnold Schwarzenegger or Jesse Ventura? How did Bill Murray get fans to fall in love with him? What did Joe Pesci do that was hero worthy? How tall was Judy Garland? How many children did Dr. Suess have?

These are just a sampling of the questions you'll have answered here! This book is full of anecdotes of movie stars. I was a little surprised at the range. We have everything from Boris Karloff to Jim Carrey. Schochet is a tour guide in Hollywood. He's researched each tale.
LJ
Jul 21, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
I was initially really excited to read this book...I am a big fan of celeb magazines, blogs, etc. However, I couldn't really get into this book. It might be because a lot of the stories are about movie and television stars from before my time, or it might be because the writing doesn't draw the reader in, or it might be the lack of connections/transitions.

I did see later, that the "stories" are actually scripts from the Hollywood Stories One Minute Radio Feature and at that point, I realized wh
Teressa Morris
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the captivating stories in Hollywood Stories. Each anecdote starts with the story itself, then adds in two or three "extras" which relate to the story. Some of these stories were familiar to me, but many were surprising. These stories are sometimes inspirational, sometimes humorous and always entertaining. This is a fast read - it is easy to read through three or four stories in just a few minutes and each story is unto itself. Don't be surprised if you get so engrossed in t ...more
Lori
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hollywood stories is a "fun" read. it is divided in categories, such as television, "drunk" stories, silent film actors such as Charlie Chaplin. actors actresses from the 30s and 40s. "Western" stars such as John Wayne. you can decide for yourself what tidbits are for real or "folklore".Some of these stories are funny. some I find myself going "oh come on!" I remember already hearing some of the Hollywood stories that have been repeated over the many years.
I liked reading this book for the fun
Jim Fromm
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic entertainment

Just what I hoped for. interesting and humanizing vignettes of Hollywood stars old and new. I enjoyed the tales of Marilyn and Lana Turner. Natalie Wood showed character. It is abundantly clear, many of the greats, Fairfield, Pickford, Wayne, Tracy, Flynn, Grant, Wood, Monroe, Pitt, Penn, and Damon, to name a few, knew how to party, I doubt most of them could have excelled in any other setting. This is a mini celebration of their uniqueness. A fun read.
Judy
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good gossip with the best of them so this book was made for me. It's full of short, funny stories about the wild and wacky people who have made Hollywood. Actors, writers, directors--they all are featured in these anecdotes. And the way the book is set up, it's easy to pick it up, read a few pages, and put it down.
Judie
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HOLLYWOOD STORIES...isn’t quite gossip but it does provide a lot of tidbits about Hollywood personalities and industries along with some history and little known facts. It covers comedians, science fiction, westerns, Walt Disney, directors, the transition from silent films to talkies, television, leading men and women, and lots more.
We read about famous actors who were notorious for coming to the job late, drunk, and or unprepared. Several famous ones never learned their lines and read them fro
Jeremiah

Fun, short, Hollywood stories. There is nothing R-rated or salacious, and most of the stories are funny or deeply ironic. I would have enjoyed it more if it had been a little more coherent. The chapter headings only give you a vague idea about what is present in that section. Still, if you're a movie nerd you will find a lot to enjoy here.
Whitney
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting book of anecdotes about (mostly old) Hollywood. The way the book was organized was hard to deal with. I wish all the stories about one star could have been together instead of being spread out. If you are not familiar with old Hollywood (1900-1960ish) you will have a hard time with this book.
Jessica Powell
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolute treasure trove of Hollywood trivia from a professional Tinsel Town tour guide. The stories come without sources or references, but one or two at the very least will definitely whet your appetite to go googling for more info!
Rama
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, hollywood
A compendium of Hollywood stories

The author has put together a large collection of stories and anecdotes about Hollywood elite but not all these stories are from reliable sources. The book doesn't cite references or sources from where these anecdotes came from. The internet is full of stories about Hollywood stars; you may find these in leading websites such as, Wikipedia, internet movie database, Amazon.com and numerous fan sites that cater to the need of those who are interested in the history
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hollywood Stories is a fun book to read. True to its title, it is chock-full of entertaining anecdotes about the stars and legends of the movies and TV shows. It is a backstage pass, so to speak, a window behind the scenes of the actors, directors, writers and producers that paint another picture of who they are. The author is never salacious and his stories are not conjured. He states that everything in the book is public domain stuff. He has gathered hundreds of these stories throughout the ye ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
It seems like celebrity news is everywhere these days, from supermarket tabloids to reality news shows, but it exists because we love to hear about what they do and why they do it. Sometimes they things they did were very quirky, amusing and downright shocking.

In the latest novel by Stephen Schochet, Hollywood Stories: Short. Entertaining Anecdotes About the Stars and Legends of the Movies takes a look at celebrities from the past and present and shares those insights inside the cover of this wo
Schuyler Wallace
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Schochet, author of “Hollywood Stories,” has been a Hollywood tour guide for over twenty years and reading his book is how I imagine riding in his tour bus would be; short amusing tales and anecdotes emanating from a loudspeaker that evoke laughs and groans from all the riders.

I don’t know how much of a historian Schochet is; I saw no authentication for any of his stories. He is an entertainer and what he presented entertained me without adding a lot of verifiable information to my store
Trista
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author is a professional tour guide in Hollywood, so we know he has heard some great stories! From telling them to his audience day after day, Stephen Schochet decided to write them down. Gosh, I am glad he did! The book contains many intriguing tales about actors, actresses, directors, and stars. Just think of TMZ online, or ENews!

I know Hollywood stars are just ordinary people, but being a compulsive visitor of TMZ I was intrigued by the premises of Hollywood Stories. Where else can you he
Ruth Hill
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I was very young, I have had a fascination with Hollywood--especially old Hollywood. I used to watch old movies and check out biographies of various actors and actresses I liked. This was before the days of the internet, and the library files were on paper and in pull-out files. I had to go through the difficult process of requesting books about these actors/actresses. I read several books on Judy Garland, Bing Crosby, and Danny Kaye. I also read about Lana Turner, Joan Crawford, Doris Day ...more
Lynda
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella
Stephen Schochet is a tour guide in Hollywood. These are stories he has been collecting for years. Some stories are from the silent movie days--most are not. The title of the book is exactly what the book is about.

The book is divided into chapters such as Science Fiction and Horror or Western Vignettes. Ergo, it is the TYPE of entertainment (for movies or tv) that determines the chapter. However, a star can appear and does multiple times in the book. For example, John Wayne won't be found in Sc
Peni
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
Please see individual stories for review.
Author G D  Grace
Join me, author & producer, G. D. Grace on “A Touch of Grace”, Friday, July 1st, 2011 at 8:00pm (Pacific Standard Time), as I engage in an enlightening thirty minute intimate interview with author of “Hollywood Stories”, Stephen Schochet.

Stephen Schocet’s (Pronounced Show-Het) Brief Bio taken from the email he sent directly to me:

Author Stephen Schochet is a professional tour guide in Hollywood who years ago began collecting little-known, humorous anecdotes to tell to his customers. His new
Carole Rae
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this for Ever After pr. When this book was offered I jumped up on it and was one of the first to sign up! Being a girl in love with the old films and the old time actors/actresses this seemed like the book for me.

I'll be honest though...I'm a little upset about this book. This book let me down. Yes, I highly enjoyed the little stories about actors and directors and etc. I remember my mom telling me some of these, so it was fun to see the story told by an "expert". Many of the stories mad
Heavensent1
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heavensent1 by: ARC
This book was a plethora of interesting and entertaining data. I was enthralled from start to finish with all the behind-the-scene accounts of some of the celebrities we have come to know and love. I found myself becoming a walking celebrity encyclopedia as I reiterated to everyone the things I had read.

Each of the stories is told in a straight-forward, matter-of-fact basis, some short paragraphs, some lengthier, all of them worth reading. This would make an excellent coffee table book or a bath
Laurie
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I am so very glad that I signed up for this book tour. This is not a book that I would normally choose for myself. Yet, I enjoyed it immensely.

Imagine Tinseltown in its heyday. When movie stars were glamorous, mysterious, and extremely underpaid by today's standards. With entertaining anecdotes, the author gives his readers a glimpse behind the scenes of many classic movies. From historical tidbits that was the inspiration behind movies, to casting choices that may surprise you.

I think one of
Jan Kjellin
So, I've finally finished this one. I've had it on my bedside table since the beginning of October, so it's been a long read.

The format of short anecdotes, most of them filling about a third of a page, implies to me that the book should be read in bursts, maybe two - four pages at a time. That way I can savour the stories and dwell on them for a while.

The stories themselves are mostly fun and witty. I get the feeling some of the stories appear more than once and there are some mistakes where yea
ILoveBooks
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books concerning Hollywood that a reader can find. The author offers a complete tour with large amounts of research and a humorous writing style. The reader can genuinely "hear" the author's voice through his writing, it feels a bit reminiscent of sitting around a campfire listening to anecdotes.

The stories themselves are enlightening, funny, and provocative. The reader will love learning more about his/her favorite Hollywood stars. Mary and Charlotte Pickford, John Gilb
Stanley McShane
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loaded with short anecdotes, "Hollywood Stories" will clue you in on many of your favorite stars. The book is divided by different categories from western vignettes to stories of movie moguls. Get to know the real person behind that on-scene persona--you seldom get what you see. Author Stephen Schochet takes us back to the silent films and brings back through talkies, the graduating technology and today's sophistication. From television and Walt Disney, through all the singers and dancers, you c ...more
Sarah Sammis
Stephen Schochet has worked as a Hollywood tour guide for a number of years. Hollywood Stories collects what he's learned and presents them in short vignettes organized by topic. As an introduction to some of the popular lore of the movie industry, it's fine.

There was a time, when I was younger and I was just getting interested in Hollywood history that I would have loved this book. I've grown, gone to college and along the way come to expect citations in nonfiction. Schochet coming to his knowl
Cristine
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know about about, but I'm secretly addicted to TMZ, Extra and Access Hollywood. I really like to hear about the behind the scenes antics of my favorite movie stars and Hollywood personalities. There is something that makes me want to know the dirty little secrets or unknown stories that happen on movie sets, Hollywood hangouts and general lives of famous people. What about you? Do you secretly have this little obsession too? Well I have a new book for you.

What I liked about this book is
Sarah Wright
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose to borrow this book from Amazon as my "free lend of the month"...back in June. It is now almost September, and am just now finishing this book because it is THAT long!

I didn't think that I would ever finish this book. Not that that is a bad thing.

This book is full of interesting stories about every actor/actress that you can think of.

From The Three Stooges, to Walt Disney, to John Wayne, and tons more!!

Some stories I had heard before, but most I hadn't.

This book gives a "behind the scene
  • Disney Trivia from the Vault: Secrets Revealed and Questions Answered
  • Ghost Dances: Proving Up on the Great Plains
  • Past Imperfect: History According to the Movies
  • Lincoln's Last Hours
  • The Diva Code: Miss Piggy on Life, Love, and the 10,000 Idiotic Things Men Frogs Do
  • Vanity Fair's Tales of Hollywood: Rebels, Reds, and Graduates and the Wild Stories Behind theMaking of 13 Iconic Films
  • The Million Dollar Mermaid
  • A Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans: Pirates, Skinflints, Patriots, and Other Colorful Characters Stuck in the Footnotes of History
  • Goons 'n' Roses (Chanel, #2)
  • A City of Ghosts: Stories
  • Whisper My Secret (Whisper My Secret #1)
  • Ansel Adams in the National Parks: Photographs from America's Wild Places
  • Deedee Divine's Totally Skewed Guide to Life
  • Later Bloomers: 35 Folks Over Age 35 Who Found Their Passion and Purpose
  • The Fixers: Eddie Mannix, Howard Strickling and the MGM Publicity Machine
  • Diary of a Player: How My Musical Heroes Made a Guitar Man Out of Me
  • Everything I Need to Know about Motherhood I Learned from Animal House
  • Write That Book Already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now
“Naw, rudeness is for amateurs. I prefer going right from polite conversation to extreme violence.” 1 likes
“Louis theorized that arranging a competition for arrogant filmmakers to win medals was the best way to keep them in line.” 1 likes