Start by marking “The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1)

The Ice Princess

(Fjällbacka #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  51,941 ratings  ·  3,852 reviews
In this electrifying tale of suspense from an international crime-writing sensation, a grisly death exposes the dark heart of a Scandinavian seaside village. Erica Falck returns to her tiny, remote hometown of Fjällbacka, Sweden, after her parents’ deaths only to encounter another tragedy: the suicide of her childhood best friend, Alex. It’s Erica herself who finds Alex’s ...more
Published March 29th 2011 by Free Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ice Princess, please sign up.
Lia Pissa He's the one who broke free from what people think in contradiction with the other heroes of the book.
Romuald Byczkiewicz There is no lesson. There is also not much intrigue or suspense either. Lackberg comes up with good ideas for plots but doesn't follow through with…moreThere is no lesson. There is also not much intrigue or suspense either. Lackberg comes up with good ideas for plots but doesn't follow through with sharp prose or suspense built up over the chapters as the reader discovers clues along with the detective. Instead, everything was held back until the end in a very unexciting anti-climactic finish.

Lackberg is not like Mankell. Mankell explores the human condition in Sweden with his detective; the reader discovers things along with the detective and the world is seen through his prism. Lackberg's multi-character first person approach is weak and lacks direction. Other novelists have used that approach much more effectively than she has.(less)

·  51,941 ratings  ·  3,852 reviews

Masanobu
I had heard only good things about this book, but it seems this year I'm not being lucky with my readings.

In no particular order, the things that bugged me the most were:

1. This is a murder mystery novel, so there are clues the protagonists investigate to resolve it. The only problem is Läckberg tells the reader the clues after everything is resolved. Yes, the reader is excluded from the investigation, i.e. the fun of this kind of books.

2. There are blatant timeline mistakes. For example, check
Lyn
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First published as Isprinsessan in Sweden and in 2004, I read and enjoyed the English translation by Steven T. Murray published in 2010.

Lackberg’s prose is spirited and fresh and her contribution to the Nordic Noir genre of crime fiction is well stated. Telling the story of an unusual murder in the Swedish village of Fjällbacka, with some interesting twists and turns, the author’s greatest achievement here is her crisp characterization and filling the narrative with a cast of colorful players an
Pattie
May 15, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
LENA TRAK
Not the best book of the Hedstrom series but it was ok! fast paced as always but I was a bit disappointed by the ending... Not quite what I expected. I think in her effort to avoid a predictable ending, Lackberg chooses an outsider as the killer, which is the reason why I gave this book 3 stars. Lackbergs has an impeccable writing style, so if you are a lover of the genre you should move on with The Preacher and The stonecutter both of which were just shy of 5 stars.
fleegan
Carolyn
I think there must be something about the Scandinavian winter that just makes murder mysteries darker and more atmospheric and this one, fist in Camilla Läckberg's Fjällbacka series is no exception.

Erica Falck, a writer has returned to Fjällbacka after the death of her parents to pack up their belongs and decide what to do with their house. An old childhood friend, Alex Wijkner has also recently been spending some weekends in her old house but just after Erica arrive, Alex is found dead in an ic
The Writer
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing Stieg Larsson's fabulous trilogy, it is only natural for me to hunt for more Swedish authors writing criminal-genre novels and Camilla Läckberg happened to be the next one on the list - at least in my town library's list.

It is quite funny how Swedish writers tend to write their books in a batch of three - as a trilogy and Isprinsessen - which literally means "The Ice Princess" in English is the first of the three. Another similarity with Larsson's book that strikes me the most is
Raluca
This has to be one of the worst mystery novels I've read so far. In fact, I'm not even sure if it's supposed to be 'mystery'. More like 'character discovers x clue, reader is not told what it actually contains, character suddenly reveals it much later on in a really dramatic, Scooby-Doo fashion'. And this happened throughout all the book.

Then there was the narrative. In the beginning, I thought it was a translation issue. Verbal tenses seemed inconsistent, there was some really awkward phrasing
Phrynne
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I always like reading books set in Scandinavia and this one gave me lots of lovely descriptions of snow and beautiful Swedish settings. I enjoyed the romance between Erica and Patrik and felt it only added to the overall story. The mystery was suitably mysterious and I solved it just before the police did except that the solution was so horrible I did not want to believe it. I raced my way through this book and only put it down o ...more
James Thane
Beginning with her 2002 novel, Isprinsessan, Camilla Lackberg has been a popular crime fiction novelist in Sweden. In an obvious attempt to capitalize on the current wave of interest in Scandanavian crime fiction in the U.S., Lackberg's first novel has now been published here as The Ice Princess.

Erica Falck, a writer, returns to her small hometown of Fjallbacka, a Swedish fishing village, to deal with family matters in the wake of her parents' deaths. No sooner does she arrive, though, when her
Vera
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

H Camilla Lackberg is a new promising Swedish author of crime fiction. The "Frosted Princess" manages through its central heroine Erika Falk, a young writer to give us a unique novel full of mystery and suspense without failing to focus on the lifestyle and values of Swedish society. Love, loneliness, domestic violence, alcoholism, pedophilia presented sometimes subtly and sometimes directly around the axis of the murder of Alex, who is found dead in a bathtub by her childhood friend, Eric. The
Melanie
I am giving this a 3.5. Pretty darn good mystery here. The very end may be a bit far fetched but it is fiction after all. The author did keep me guessing throughout the whole book. There is a romance in this mystery (which usually bugs the crap out of me but for some reason this one didn't). One thing that did irk me is that author does mention how some of the characters feel about their physical image quite a bit. Since this is mystery it felt a bit out of place (for me) in this setting. It mad ...more
Leah
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, crime
Light and shade...

Erica Falck has returned to her home town of Fjällbacka to sort out the belongings of her parents who have recently died. But she is soon in the middle of the investigation into the death of her childhood friend, Alex, found frozen in her bathtub with her wrists slit. At first it looks like suicide, but it soon becomes clear that she was murdered. Alex and Erica had been very close as children but had grown apart as children do, and then Alex and her parents had left the town.
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*

I enjoyed the book, Camilla Lackberg's first, although there were a few issues/unlikely scenarios in the book which were not resolved to my satisfaction and I felt the ending was a bit of an anti-climax.

I am a fan of the TV series Fjallbackamorden and it was interesting to see how Erica's character had started out.

The book deals with the issues of child and spousal abuse, the outcomes of keeping dark secrets and telling lies in the guise of protecting those one loves.

I enjoyed it enough to purch
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Erica Falck has returned home after the death of her parents and is trying to get over the tragedy when a neighbor finds the body of Erica's childhood friend Alex dead in the bathtub with slashed wrists and the police thinks that she has taken her own life. But, is it really that simple?

The Ice Princess is an intriguing book from the very start and I enjoyed getting to know the characters from the beginning. I've read the latest published book, the Witch which is book 10 so I had (reading book 8
Dorian
Mar 15, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty dreadful. I'm not quite sure how I read the whole thing--in little bits and pieces over the semester, I think--maybe that prevented me from seeing its full lameness? Dunno. Turns out not all Scandanavian crime fiction is fantastic.
Emma
This was just ok. I believe I received this as a free download from iTunes a number of years ago as part of a 12 days of Christmas promotion and it was a good distraction during a recent long haul flight.

It is a Scandanavian murder mystery, where a young woman is murdered in her bathtub, and her body is discovered by an estranged childhood friend. It starts out well enough but I quickly began to dislike the victim which hampered the story a little for me.

The author also withheld vital clues from
Ammar
Mindless read
Expected the killer
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Camilla Lackberg writes crime fiction in a very refreshing way, and it's quality stuff. With a murder occurring early in the book it took off with a raring start but what made this book really good was the focus on the people, their inner worlds of good and bad, the relationship dynamics and the psychological interplay between them.

It's not a book overdone with excessive police procedure, sex, gore, violence or other things often found in crime fiction. No, but it doesn't detract from the book w
Katie
May 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel so lackluster about this book that it's not even worth posting a review. Maybe I would have been shocked to discover who the murderer was, if I'd had a chance to solve the mystery, but I didn't. The characters often find important clues that we aren't allowed to see (for example, finding a piece of paper with something important written on it, which we're told, but we don't know what it says). For me, that's a fail on the writer's account. When I have access to the information, and the op ...more
Lavinia
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, fiction
I suppose that a book that kept me in bed reading all day deserves at least 4 stars. Might delve into Scandinavian thrillers more often. Yet still amazed at the quantity of coffee these Swedes drink.
Petra
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll write a review tomorrow, right now I feel like I need to bleach my brain after this stupid book! Someone give me a good book damn it! I'm tired of reading one stupid book after another -_-

Update:
ok here comes the review but be warned ! I didn't bother removing potential spoilers so if you plan on reading this, then don't read anymore.

I finished this book relatively fast, not because it was good but because I wanted it to be over as soon as possible.
I haven't been lucky in the books I chose
Nadia Giannakopoulou
First book, first impression of Camilla Lackberg: captivating plot, good mystery (many suspects while going through the book, nice switch of the main suspect at the end), interesting development of the main caracters. Good to know there's a series of books following this one, I sure am going to follow the story of Patrick and Erica...☺
Kylie H
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I quite enjoyed this book and it was not at all what I expected. The story starts out with the apparent suicide of a woman who has a mysterious past. It soon is revealed to be a murder and Ericka Falck an author who knew the victim as a child, and police investigator Patrik start to chip away at the many layers of mystery and deceit that are associated with Alex the victim.
Although this is not fast paced and gruesome like other crime novels I still found this book to be quite appealing. I really
Tommy
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Barely two stars. The writing was terrible, though I don't know whether to blame that on the author or the translator. The story was a bad version of an episode of CSI or Law and Order SVU, complete with caricatures of the useless/incompetent station chief, small town murder, sappy unnecessary romance, family complications, and other things I don't want to give away for anyone who actually still wants to read this.

I'd read a decent amount of press on this and saw a signed copy at a Partners and
Lee
I wasn’t completely won over by this book unfortunately.

First off I had huge issues with its editing. I think Lackberg/the editors should have opted for shorter chapters, rather than the six my ebook version presented (I’ve worded it this way because I’m sure there were seven and the six in the Contents page is an error). Due to the long chapters, there is no clear break between changes of scenes and character point of views, and I’d often have to read paragraphs a couple of times to work out w
Jan 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, abandoned
DNF at 35%. Lyn gave it three stars and that kept me going when I would have put it down at 31%.

This lacked both depth and mystery to me. The characters lacked depth and we weren't being told enough to maintain mystery. Also, the narrator had this extremely annoying problem where he gave Erica a very breathy voice.

I did want to see some vengeance executed on the brother-in-law but I figured he was only going to get more noxious and he would get worse before better. Not worth it.
Rebecca McNutt
When a woman goes back to her hometown only to discover that her best friend has committed suicide, she unravels a very sinister mystery. This book was very creepy, but I liked the way the author was able to evoke a "somebody's watching me! O_o" kind of emotion throughout.
Vaso
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

If you expect to read a breathtaking mystery book, you will be disappointed. It’s pace isn’t slow but isn’t extremely fast either. It has the right potions of mystery, a couple of twists and a nice building of all characters.

• Sun and Shadow (Inspector Winter, #3)
  • Unseen (Anders Knutas, #1)
  • Snow Angels (Inspector Kari Vaara, #1)
  • Sun Storm (Rebecka Martinsson, #1)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • Echoes from the Dead (The Öland Quartet #1)
  • Nobels testamente (Annika Bengtzon #6)
  • The Day is Dark (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #4)
  • Don't Look Back (Konrad Sejer, #2)
  • Voices (Inspector Erlendur #5)
  • Autumn Killing
Before she became one of Sweden’s most popular crime writers, Camilla Läckberg (b. 1974) worked as a marketing director and product manager for several years. Her first two crime novels, Isprinsessan (The Ice Princess) and Predikanten (The Preacher), received rave reviews from the Swedish press and quickly found a large readership. But her big breakthrough came when Stenhuggaren (The Stonecutter) ...more

Fjällbacka (10 books)
  • The Preacher (Patrik Hedström, #2)
  • Stenhuggaren (Patrik Hedström, #3)
  • Olycksfågeln (Patrik Hedström, #4)
  • The Hidden Child (Patrik Hedström, #5)
  • The Drowning (Patrik Hedström, #6)
  • Fyrvaktaren (Patrik Hedström, #7)
  • Änglamakerskan (Patrik Hedström, #8)
  • Lejontämjaren (Patrik Hedström, #9)
  • Häxan (Patrik Hedström, #10)
“Don’t ever get old. With each year that passes, the old Viking idea of jumping off a cliff to one’s death looks better and better. The only thing to hope for is that you get so senile that you think you’re twenty years old again. That would be fun to relive.” 56 likes
“One is expected to show a bit of eccentricity to be interesting. Otherwise one is simply a sad old crone, and no one wants that, you know.” 15 likes