Start by marking “So I Have Thought of You: The Letters of Penelope Fitzgerald” as Want to Read:
So I Have Thought of You: The Letters of Penelope Fitzgerald

So I Have Thought of You: The Letters of Penelope Fitzgerald

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews

Acclaimed for her exquisitely elegant novels and superb biographies, Penelope Fitzgerald was one of the finest British authors of the last century. Published here for the first time are her collected letters. An unparalleled record of the life of this greatly admired writer, these letters reveal her most important family relationships and friendships, and paint a clear pic

nookbook (ebook), 624 pages
Published May 27th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about So I Have Thought of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So I Have Thought of You

Susan
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting collection of letters arranged by correspondent and divided into two sections: one of private letters to family and friends (where her daughters have generously allowed their correspondence from their mother to be included) and one of "business" letters to publishers, authors and critics. Usually, I prefer a chronological presentation of letters, but the organization here worked well to illustrate the different facets of her personality and writing for each correspondent. Her lett ...more
Yooperprof
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britain, letters
No real surprises here - Penelope Fitzgerald seems to have been a genuinely nice, grandmotherly person. She had eclectic, far-ranging interests that reveal themselves in the disparate subject matters of her books, and although she comes across in the letters as modest and self-effacing, her "pose" does not fully obscure the fact that her books are remarkably accomplished and even ambitious in their subtle brilliance. I regard P. Fitzgerald as a kind of Vermeer of contemporary British fiction.
Ellen Schnepper
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Penelope Fitzgerald is marvelous and her wry sense of humor is not lost in her letters. What I most liked were her references to contemporary writers in England. She knew so many, and she refers to them as just everyday people, not the gods and goddesses you might think. Also in the letters is a lot of insight into the writing of biographies, novels, and the publishing world. Fascinating. I couldn't put it down.
Margaret
This would be four stars, except that I didn't think the editing and organization were very good. Having the letters grouped by correspondent instead of chronologically didn't allow any flow through Fitzgerald's life, and I felt that there needed to be many more footnotes explaining references to people and events which weren't fully detailed in the letters themselves.
Lesley
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather oddly arranged by correspondent instead of chronology - this had a curiously unsettling effect. Also, while I hate editions of letters that do too much footnoting of references and allusions, I felt that this could have done with just a bit more. Some wonderful stuff in there, though.
Nick
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her delightful, witty and crystalline intelligence shines through in these illuminating letters. A writer on family and on books is always fascinating. Read the novels! Particularly the last 4 she wrote.
Cooper Renner
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't read the entire collection, to be sure. A hefty chunk of the family letters and a browse through the letters to writers. Penelope's personality comes through loud and clear.
Lynn Grant
Elena Sala
Nov 22, 2016
Emma Townshend
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like her, read these. They are rather wonderful.
hatpin
Nov 18, 2008
Sam Mills
Dec 22, 2013
Bernadette Keane
Aug 27, 2017
dog + book
rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2014
Ann
Feb 11, 2014
Amro
Jan 16, 2013
Penelope Fitzgerald was an English novelist, poet, essayist and biographer. In 2008, The Times included her in a list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945". In 2012, The Observer named her final novel, The Blue Flower, as one of "the ten best historical novels".

Fitzgerald was the author of nine novels. Her novel Offshore was the winner of the Booker Prize. A further three novels — The B
More about Penelope Fitzgerald...