Start by marking “The Art of War/The Prince” as Want to Read:
The Art of War/The Prince

The Art of War/The Prince

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  511 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This Special Edition of The Art of War & The Prince by Machiavelli unites both of Machiavelli's renowned volumes on strategy so that the philosophy and mechanisms for obtaining power and managing power may be seen as a single entity. Possessed of a great intellect, Niccolo Machiavelli was uniquely suited to examine and explain the important details of statecraft. Machi ...more
Paperback, special, 304 pages
Published May 21st 2005 by El Paso Norte Press (first published 1521)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of War/The Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of War/The Prince

Auntiecatherine
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli (1940) ...more
Harry Hunter
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to finish reading this; indeed it was sat on my shelf or bedside table for over a year until I forced myself to concentrate on it over other more easily read & understood books. But while I admit I found it difficult at times to fully understand many of Machiavelli’s ideas without re-reading sections several times over there are so many lessons taught that are as relevant today as they were 500 years ago. Numerous passages throughout ‘The Prince’ could relate directly ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/731403.html[return][return]I found it very thought-provoking. The style is a little reminiscent of Sun Tzu's The Art of War - less staccato, of course, and with rather too many references to events contemporary to Machiavelli which I have only dimly heard of, if at all. Machiavelli's strictures on statecraft for the autocratic ruler are not hugely relevant for Western democracies, where the executive's freedom to do what they want is (thank God!) hemmed in by many lega ...more
Ben
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Prince is the consummate guide to assuming and maintaining power in Renaissance Italy: a defining work in political philosophy and the establishment of 'realpolitik' ideology. There were many parts I found somewhat hard to follow - Niccolo being a historian likes to 'drop names' of historical figures throughout the book... some I had knowledge of - many I did not. This made it a little bit hard to comprehend in certain places. I did find it an entertaining read that still very much rings thr ...more
Dawn
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
"The Prince" is an excellent look into history, politics, and those who are at the top of successful powerful businesses. "The Art of War," however, took me almost 3 years to read only because it was the type of book I'd pick up when I couldn't decide what to read or couldn't sleep. Personally, I found it boring, overly detailed, but learned plenty about the military styles, defenses, training, and such of many countries during the 1400s. I love history, but I can find hundreds of other ways to ...more
Smaaron
Jan 17, 2008 rated it liked it
When you get into Management classes at the university level, you'll often read some book like "You're the Best Around!! How to Win While Getting to Yes AND Use Your Strengths that You've Recently Discovered!!!"

Compared to Machiavelli, all modern business books blow. They blow hard.

Basically, Machiavelli wrote down the original version of business management, based on what he saw during the time of the Medici's in Italy.

Any dude or lady that writes a book is simply saying what Machiavelli said
Saeed
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I used to be highly biased against Machiavelli, what with his reputation of being an evil thinker, then out of pure curiosity, I happened to read the Prince, a book that looks at how politics and state craft is, rather than how we wish it to be, ever since I have nothing but deep respect for him, and love for his magnificent work, it is scary how his character types for failing politicians match today's politicians.
Nancy Monson
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I did not glean as much from these essays as I had hoped. But the book was extremely interesting and educational. At some point in "The Prince" I began to wonder if the entire work was not intended to be ironic. Certain assertions were so ridiculous and yet so seriously put forth, that I had to wonder.
Dev Nithiavel
The Prince is a good read, but the Art of War was a little too dry with too many prescriptive details on battle tactics and strategy. But overall, much could be learned from both, but more to be skimmed away. The Prince was still a gem, offering insights into statesmanship and a must read.
Todd
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'd never read "The Prince," but its lessons are so ingrained I felt like I was rereading it. I will say that Machiavelli gets a bad rap when his name is made an adjective. So it is better to be feared than loved: if you want to get stuff done, you have to break a few eggheads.
Endora Harris
Apr 14, 2010 is currently reading it
A warriors should read this!
David
Jan 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I'm currently reading this... so far it's very good.
Daniel
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every mean soul
Recommended to Daniel by: no one .
Martin Witchard
Machiavelli was the sort of man I would not like to cross. He had an amazing gift for perceiving people and their ambitions. A must read for all social climbers.
Rachel Parker
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this before studying abroad in Italy. It was a great supplement to my time in Florence and helped me better understand the art and culture.
Donna
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Not my usual choice of books... I did find it amazing that although written in the 16th century his thoughts are just as current today.
Anatolikon
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: literature
As an edition, this is pretty basic. It includes virtually nothing for introductory or contextual material, and no notes whatsoever.
Moose
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could break down the star review it would be 5 for The Prince and 3 for The Art of War. Sun Tzu does a far superior Art of War and this one drags a lot.
Adeleke Owate
Jun 02, 2014
Heba
Feb 23, 2012
  • Essential Thinkers - Socrates
  • Father Brown: Selected Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
  • All Life Is Problem Solving
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes / His Last Bow (Collector's Library)
  • The Sword and the Mind, The Classic Japanese Treatise on Swordsmanship and Tactics
  • Cose di Cosa nostra
  • Tutte le novelle
  • This Craft of Verse
  • The Decameron, Volume II
  • The Power of Ideas
Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli was an Italian political philosopher, musician, poet, and romantic comedic playwright. He is a figure of the Italian Renaissance and a central figure of its political component, most widely known for his treatises on realist political theory (The Prince) on the one hand and republicanism (Discourses on Livy) on the other.
More about Niccolò Machiavelli...