Start by marking “The New Urban Frontier: Gentrification and the Revanchist City” as Want to Read:
The New Urban Frontier: Gentrification and the Revanchist City

The New Urban Frontier: Gentrification and the Revanchist City

This book challenges conventional wisdom, which holds gentrification to be the simple outcome of new middle-class tastes and a demand for urban living. It reveals gentrification as part of a much larger shift in the political economy and culture of the late twentieth century. Documenting in gritty detail the conflicts that gentrification brings to the new urban "frontiers, ...more
Paperback
Published August 22nd 1996 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about The New Urban Frontier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Urban Frontier

Andrea
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I first read this in 2001/2002 doing research to inform community organising around gentrification and displacement. I confess my non-theoretical self didn't much like it. Most of it was over my head, and what wasn't seemed so obvious. Even so, the desire to help support movement and stop gentrification was so clear I always did want to meet Neil Smith. I'm sad I didn't get to.

Now I find it much more useful, probably because I've done the hard work of going through Marx, figuring out Harvey's th
Elsie
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Empowering analysis of the gentrification process. Because if you know what's happening you have a better chance of stopping it.
Chris
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it
The most useful part of the book in terms of understanding cities is the chapter on the economic theory of gentrification, that economic incentives force landlords in a declining residential area to under-maintain their building, causing further deterioration of the neighborhood's housing stock until the buildings are so undercapitalized relative to the land value underneath that capital swooshes back in with rich people. (OK so this is kind of complicated for us non-economists but it's an impor ...more
Sterling Hall
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a truly wonderful book on gentrification. It analyzes the genesis, life, and (potential) demise of gentrification, both in terms of 'hard' economic data and in terms of a rhetorical analysis of the 'frontier' myths that accompany gentrification, both through close analysis of specific situations of gentrification and worldwide trends created through the spread of neoliberal economic policies.

My only critique would be that the book ends up adopting the frontier myth in various ways, and
Zach
Smith argues for a systematic understanding of gentrification, rather than a simple consumer-driven one. He does this in a convincing manner, relying heavily on a Harvey-esque examination of capital disinvestment.

My chief complaint is that after his fascinating introduction, Smith pretty much drops the cultural analysis of the "urban frontier" myth, which I found fascinating.
Marty
May 25, 2007 rated it liked it
I want to give this book a higher rating but its super dry and academicky. It is however a highly valuable contribution to the study of gentrification and holds many insights to the processes that reshape our cities.
Liz
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-studies
interesting and convincing; perhaps not as tightly structured as it could have been.
Lavinia
  • Black on the Block: The Politics of Race and Class in the City
  • Postmodern Geographies: The Reassertion of Space in Critical Social Theory
  • Great American City: Chicago and the Enduring Neighborhood Effect
  • Urban Outcasts: A Comparative Sociology of Advanced Marginality
  • 'There Ain't no Black in the Union Jack': The Cultural Politics of Race and Nation
  • Neoliberalism as Exception: Mutations in Citizenship and Sovereignty
  • Naked City: The Death and Life of Authentic Urban Places
  • The Power of Place: Urban Landscapes as Public History
  • Making the Second Ghetto: Race and Housing in Chicago 1940-1960
  • Safe Space: Gay Neighborhood History and the Politics of Violence
  • Policing the Crisis: Mugging, the State, and Law and Order
  • Root Shock: How Tearing Up City Neighborhoods Hurts America, and What We Can Do About It
  • The Power of Women and the Subversion of the Community
Several different Neils Smiths tend to collect here.

For the linguist, see Neilson Voyne Smith