Start by marking “Cracked” as Want to Read:
Cracked

Cracked

Sometimes there's no easy way out.

Victor hates his life. He has no friends, gets beaten up at school, and his parents are always criticizing him. Tired of feeling miserable, Victor takes a bottle of his mother's sleeping pills—only to wake up in the hospital.

Bull is angry, and takes all of his rage out on Victor. That makes him feel better, at least a little. But it doesn'
Published January 3rd 2012 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Cracked, please sign up.
Cory Brooks I'm four years late to answering this, but I would say the theme is something about how different types of abuse can do the same type of damage.
Zurah There's a lot of inappropriate language in the book. On the other hand, there are morals in this book. I'm already hooked reading it. I can't put the…moreThere's a lot of inappropriate language in the book. On the other hand, there are morals in this book. I'm already hooked reading it. I can't put the book down!(less)

Raeleen Lemay
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book was decent, but I was definitely far from amazed while reading this.

I liked how the dual perspectives were done, where each chapter is sort of mirrored to the previous one. It really emphasized the point that even though these two boys came from very different places and situations, they both had plenty of reasons to be unhappy and hurting. Victor is privileged, but unloved my his parents, and bullied at school. Bull, on the other hand, is abused at home by his family, so he takes out
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Jan 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
Hi friends, I’m gonna need you all to suspend the belief that I’m a nice person for just a moment while you’re reading this review because oh my god, this book is trash and there is no way I can write this review while simultaneously being nice.

So, Cracked…. It’s about these two guys that have terrible lives. Victor has parents that pretend he doesn’t exist. Bull lives with his abusive grandfather and his drug addict mother. Victor is a loner and Bull bullies him. Somehow, they end up as roomma
MLE
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: yad
It wasn't written terribly, but the plot and characters felt more like an after school special than real people. The bad parts were bad, but the simplistic solutions, and overly neat ending made everything that came before seem less significant. I found myself wondering; if that's all it took to make things better, than was it really that bad to begin with? I found the changes the characters underwent were too forced, and too abrupt. Bullying is an important issue, and, while I'm glad more autho ...more
Kelly
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A solid read with two authentic and hurting male voices. Bull's the bully but acts that way because that's the way he's grown up. Victor, on the other hand, is the bullied and allows himself to be picked on because that's the way he's grown up. There's a nice exploration of families, of social class, and of the importance of knowing you're loved/giving love.

A couple of things didn't work for me, including the quick turn arounds of both boys when they'd hit rock bottom. I was hoping for a lot mo
Jay G
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

This book follows two teenage boys living difficult lives. Victor is invisible to his parents and those around him. The only person who seems to notice him is Bull Maverick, the school bully who is constantly picking on him. But Bull is facing demons of his own, his abusive grandfather and drunk mother don't make his life easy. Both boys decide to take matters into their own hands. Vict
Mary-Megan
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Call me cynical, but when I read a book about hard-hitting themes like bullying and suicide, I don't necessarily want "happily ever after." While this book does a decent job tackling these two serious topics, I felt the rosy ending for these characters didn't jive with reality.

This novel is told through the eyes of two boys - chapters alternating between Victor and William "Bull". Victor is a victim of bullying done by Bull. The bullying has gone on since kindergarten and hasn't improved. At the
Vivien Keiling
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, real-ish, guys
Well hot damn! FINALLY!! A book that really gets to the quick on issues like suicide, abuse and bullying for GUYS!!! - and from both POVs of the bully and the bullied.
[it seems to be the case that a bunch of authors got the memo that, done right, the double POV can work magic!]

I am so sad to say that this one flew under my radar until recently...on the plus side, this means that her second book - Empty - is already out and I can read it right away!!

Very well written - this was a gripper. It was
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-ya
This book matters.

It's a simple as that.

Bullying is a pervasive issue in our society today and more people need to be reading a book like this. Why? What makes this one special? I have a few reasons why I think this is a stand out. But first, I'll be honest with you... K. M. Walton is a friend, an Apocalypsie and a fellow author at Simon Pulse. I sort of wish this wasn't true because there will be many people that assume that my respect and love for CRACKED is influenced by those connections.
Mahra
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nuisance Nonsense
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-my-thing
While I absolutely loved the characters and the overall theme of Cracked, I didn't care much for the way Walton portrayed psychiatric units. Most of the situations in the hospital felt out of place. One thing that bothered me is the complete lack of interest from the nurses and staff when Victor tells them that he can't be roomed with Bull. In my experience, people who knew each other outside of the hospital or people who couldn't get along were put on a sort of restraining order where they were ...more
Maggie61
Loved this author's writing style as well as story line.
We have one boy being bullied by the same kid most of his school life. He is an outcast with no friends. He is invisible to his parents who remind him he was an accident and generally ignore his whole existence except when he may do something to inconvenience their lives. After his dog who was the only one that valued him passes away he is devestated and swallows a bottle of pills.
Then there is the second boy. The bully. And as we are sho
BAYA Librarian
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Victor is the quiet kid in class who gets picked on and bullied on a daily basis. His home life is no better. His parents blame the majority of life’s problems on their son, stating that if it was not for him life would be perfect.

Bull (as you could probably tell by the name) is the primary bully in school. He comes from a broken home where he lives with his alcoholic mother and abusive grandfather. Bull is both physically and mentally abused, so he in turn takes all of his anger and frustratio
Elisa Ludwig
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Get out the Kleenex! This powerful story of a victim and a bully who by chance find themselves in the same psychiatric ward of their town's hospital will move you to tears (possibly repeatedly). In an even, direct prose style, Walton nails the voices of her heroes and doesn't sugar coat their difficult circumstances. And while Walton has conjured a compelling supporting cast of characters, it's Cracked's two vulnerable yet tenacious protagonists that will win your heart.
Lenore Appelhans
I cannot rave enough about this novel. I was so completely emotionally invested in these characters that I cried at least four times - and I hardly ever am moved to tears by books (maybe only around 10 in the whole history of my reading life post childhood).

More to come ...
𝕵𝖆𝖉𝖊 ꙳♡˳೫˚∗
Such. Insta. Love. Omg.

Idk if it was supposed to be okay because the main characters were emotionally messed up or what, but it was a tad annoying 😅

I was also disappointed Bull and Victor didn’t talk through their issues. But I did appreciate that they got to sort of understand each other. I think I would’ve done that part differently.

And I feel that five days and all their problems are solved is a little-very- unrealistic. But I did understand from their perspectives that life was better as th
Amanda
Cesia Martinez
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it shows that everyone has their own problems in life, and that there's always a backstory as to why people act a certain way.
Paige
I am something of a contemporary nerd. A total contemporary nerd. There, I said it, I have outed myself -- contemporary YA is my favorite genre and I love contemp books. So I had wanted to read Cracked for a long time, since the cover and synopsis were released.

My issues with the book were larger than I'd hoped they would be but I still enjoyed the novel.

Bull and Victor hate each other. This is not some kind of low hate, like hating pepperoni or sausage on your pizza or hating a particular ba
Danny Quillo
Hannah
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
I love the idea for Cracked. Portraying both sides of a bullying incident, and pushing bully and bullied together in such an unlikely situation sounds fascinating. But the actual book didn't work for me; Cracked turned out to be too melodramatic and unrealistic for me to enjoy the novel.

Cracked starts out describing both Victor's and Bull's lives and how horrible everything is, which already didn't work for me. I don't want to sound insensitive, but it seemed like their stories were made up simp
Cara
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like this book, I really do. That said, I nearly put the book down in the first 30 pages. The main characters are a stereotypical bully and victim, almost painfully so. I started to wonder if I was reading a young adult novel or a 300-page narrative pamphlet on bullying. With a victim named Victor and a bully named Bull, it seemed a near thing.

But it gets better. The story starts out a little slow but you don’t really notice it. The author switches between the two main characters every chapter
Corrine Jackson
When I was in NYC earlier this month, my eyes spied the gorgeous cover of K.M. Walton's debut novel, CRACKED. I coveted it immediately, and my editor was kind enough to slip me a copy. This book will be out January 3, 2012. Full disclosure: K.M. Walton is a fellow Apocalypsie and we share an editor. Read below to see what I thought.

****

CRACKED is about two guys who are polar opposites, one with less than nothing and one who seemingly has everything. Okay, I know what you’re thinking. These guys
Sally Kruger
Imagine having to share a room with your own personal bully 24/7 for five days. That's what has happened to Victor. Can he survive? Will the strange pairing turn into friendship?

Victor keeps mostly to himself. He is an exceptional student, especially in math. He's so good he got a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT. Unfortunately, his uber-demanding parents are less than satisfied with his slightly lower scores on the rest of the test. They've decided to take their European vacation wi
Nicole
Feb 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
I was really looking forward to reading this book. I always find myself being drawn to books about emotional and physical abuse, and I'm not really sure why. I think I like the psychology behind it. I always wonder what makes a parent be nasty to their children or why someone becomes a bully at school. Since I have never been personally affected by something like this, I find, that I need to understand it better, so I read books about it.

After reading the synopsis of this book, I thought it was
Meeka
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february-reads
I love that there was more than one person narrating the story. I also loved that the character in the story were very deeply connected.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: C-

One Word: Cheesy

William aka "Bull" and the victim of his torment, Victor, end up roommates in a psych ward after suicide attempts. One rich, the other poor. One the victim of physical abuse, the other the victim of emotional abuse and neglect. They're committed for five days with other troubled teens and must learn to support themselves and each other.

Five days inpatient psychiatric treatment after a suicide attempt can barely scratch the surface, but most insurances won't pay for more
Abria Mattina
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Told in alternating chapters narrated by Victor and Bull, Cracked is the story of two young men who end up in a psych ward. They have a long history -- Bull has been the schoolyard bully since kindergarten and Victor is a perpetual victim. Each of them has problems at home to contend with as well, ranging from physical abuse to emotional neglect.

When Victor and Bull end up being roommates on the ward, I expected the story would be about learning to forgive and apologize. It's more about the ide
Sciron
Mar 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Kelley York
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cover: 4/5 Simple and effective. I don't care for the black border; I think a stark white cover with the cup of pills would have been more aesthetically pleasing. If I saw this on a bookshelf in a store, I'd pick it up.

Characters: 4/5 Bull and Victor are both great narrators. Very different from each other, despite having the same wants: acceptance, love, respect, 'normal lives.' I particularly enjoyed Victor, likely because I related to him more and how he felt invisible and so anxious about r
Rossetti Quarter ...: Symbol 3 6 Mar 08, 2015 12:52PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Theme 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 12:23PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Internal External Conflicts 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 12:08PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Characterization 1 2 Feb 26, 2015 09:21AM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Setting 1 2 Feb 26, 2015 08:10AM
Bullying, Depression and how to deal with emotional topics such as these. 1 3 Jan 27, 2015 11:35AM
  • Life is But a Dream
  • In Too Deep
  • Smashed
  • Devine Intervention
  • Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse
  • Angelina's Secret (Angelina's Secret, #1)
  • Counting Backwards
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • The Marble Queen
  • Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic
  • What She Left Behind
  • The Nightmare Factory
  • Fall to Pieces
K.M. Walton is the author of the contemporary young adult novels, CRACKED (2012), EMPTY (2013), ULTIMATUM (2017), and newly released BEHIND THE SONG anthology (9/5/17). She is represented by Jim McCarthy from Dystel, Goderich & Bourret Literary Management.

K. M. had a gazillion dreams when she was a little girl. Her biggest dream was to be a teacher. Teaching became a reality for K.M. and she t