Start by marking “Vatican” as Want to Read:
Vatican

Vatican

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
1986, Harper & Row, Hardcover, ISBN: 0060154780, Book Condition: New, , 134521 13D
Hardcover, First Edition, 657 pages
Published January 1986 by Harper & Row, Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Vatican, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vatican

Julianne
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my top ten novels of all time. It is very difficult to compare novels in all their forms -- like comparing apples and oranges. But this is a stand-out, a book we will never forget, a book whose characters have affected us deeply and almost become part of us. As a relatively new Catholic convert, I was hesitant to read this book after going over the reviews on Amazon, but I'm most grateful that I did. This was an absorbing, compelling, page-turning, moving, scary, thought-provoking ...more
Amelia
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs
A sublime read. Doesn't matter if you are religious or not it is a well crafted novel
Sandy Heisey
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fictional chronical of the papacy in the second half of the 20th century is riveting in its information and perspective. It should be required reading for Catholics over 35.
Jeff Tufano
This book was about 800 pages of vilifying and maligning the Vatican and several popes (who though fictional in the book apparently did represent some actual popes according to some other Wikipedia). Someone suggested that those who enjoyed Dan Brown’s books would enjoy this. That comparison is way off. The book is no labyrinthine religious mystery. At best, the author provides plenty of insight into the minds of various Popes and a behind-the-door look into the wheeling and dealing of important ...more
Lisa Dalin
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an eye opener. Before Dan Brown Davinci codes etcs.... I remember this book facinating me with the power and ever eternal dance of religion within the secrecies of the vatican. One i would re-read just to see if still think of it that highly still.

I would do better reviews of all my contributions - but alas - I don't have time.
Mostly - I'm thinking a quick "style & type" will help!! I hope!!
Have a great summer everyone!
Lisa
Steve Emmett
Well, finally made it through the 800 plus pages. Something begins to happen around page 600! Ok, to be fair, he put a lot of graft into this. But it's really far too long and needed a really good edit. Some of the crucial events are skimmed over when we really need to know how things were resolved. Too much time is spent salivating over catholic superstition which is presented as fact. I'm glad I stuck it out but wish I hadn't guessed the ending around page 250.
Stephen
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I loved it. It encompasses the rise of a man from America to becoming Pope. Malachi Martin is a former Jesuit priest who has been allowed to write about life within the Vatican. Most of what is written in here about the Vatican Banking Scandal is highly accurate. It also delves into the Nazi escapes after WWII and the fall out upon the Catholic Church.
Carol
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very slow read, but worth it. Dan Brown fans will love it
TJ Tucker
  • The Millionaire's Inexperienced Love-Slave
  • Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works
  • The Sheikh's Impatient Virgin
  • The Big Bento Box of Unuseless Japanese Inventions
  • A Royal Baby on the Way (Royally Wed, #1)
  • Apartment 255
  • Reich of the Black Sun: Nazi Secret Weapons and the Cold War Allied Legend
  • A Better Way: Rediscovering the Drama of God-Centered Worship
  • Wanted for Murder (Sweet Valley University Thriller, #1)
  • The Contaxis Baby
  • Heavenly Participation: The Weaving of a Sacramental Tapestry
  • Innocent Courtesan to Adventurer's Bride (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #3)
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • Shadow of the Sheikh (Immortal Sheikhs #2)
  • Against Christianity