Start by marking “Jerusalem Spring” as Want to Read:
Jerusalem Spring

Read Book

Jerusalem Spring

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  26 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Everything was going according to plan. Scott had a steady job as the prison warden in a sleepy little town in the South. He and his wife were planning to have a baby soon. He was modernizing the prison, gaining notice from his superiors, and rising through the ranks thanks to the reliability of his informant, Joe.
But one day Scott wakes up to find his world crumbling aro
Published November 1st 2010 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Jerusalem Spring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jerusalem Spring

Brad
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that Fares Aoun is full of hope. Like the pulp floating in freshly squeezed orange juice, the slightest jostle against his words reveals the hope palpable in his story.

I want to hope like he does, but the very structure of his novel, Jerusalem Spring, makes that hope difficult, if not impossible. I should probably mention that, quite by mistake, I read Angela Y. DavisAre Prisons Obsolete in conjunction with Jerusalem Spring, so what little hope I could have had was erased by the book t
Adem
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would say that this novel is amazing, but that would be a gross understatment.

After reading the description on the back of the book, I was quite puzzled, what with the book's title, and description, in my oppinion, not adding up. I proceeded to read the first part of the story, and after finishing the part, I still felt a sense of confusion, yet this feeling was offset by the pleasant emotions associated with the book's tale. I was deeply intrigued by the relationship's between the main chara
Eva Leger
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any reader who wants to think, esp. those interested in the differences between people
I'm going to fail the author. When an author writes a book, especially one this good, they deserve a well written review for everyone to see. And I'm a reader, not a writer. I'm going to try but please know I'm not doing it justice.
I'll get to the few "problems" (not sure if they are in fact problems or if I didn't understand) after awhile.
The first thing I want to point out is that this is not for people looking for that "easy" read. You won't like it. This will make you think. It made me thi
Kathy Davie
Aoun is attempting to draw a parallel between the Deep South of the 1960s and the current situation in the Middle East with the Palestinians; the intent is lovely but fails by using the exact same characters with the almost-exact same situations, I am so confused in the second half of the story as to what and where I am that the message misses me by a mile. Although, it probably would make this an excellent choice for a bookclub as everyone could argue their hearts out!

As for the individual stor
Glenda Bixler
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...Powerful!

...Brilliant!

...A Must-Read!

I love when writers decide to use fiction to tell an opinion or express concern about some situation. Fares Aoun has created a powerful, brilliantly conceived method and story to do just that. I applaud this work and consider it a must-read, especially given I read the book from front to back in one sitting. The impact for me was dramatic; I hope the impact for some will be enlightening...

It is the 1960s and somewhere in the south, readers find themselves
Jennifer Boyce
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
While I can't say that Jerusalem Spring by Fares Aoun was the best novel I have ever read, it certainly wasn't the worst. The story draws on parallels between two different times in history, both with similarities between each other although they take place around the world from each other.

The story follows Scott as he attempts to balance his home life with his job as a prison warden in the deep south in the 1960's. Scott struggles with his personal feelings towards current events, while still
ILoveBooks
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I like it when an author highlights an issue and makes it very clear to the reader. The book is set in the 1960's, the reader finds him/herself viewing a segregated prison. Two prisoners, numbers 13 and 12, have just been brought in with a group of new prisoners. The prisoners are overcrowded, the new prisoners, 13 and 12, never receive the food they are promised.
The warden and his wife, two people one might think the author would decide to make "mean characters", are actually the opposite. The
Christine
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jerusalem Spring is a story about a segregated prison in the 60s. Two new prisoners arrive, and the reader learns about the harsh reality of prison in that time. The prisoners are treated so poorly, and have to live in an extremely overcrowded and unsafe situation.

The warden and his wife are not racist, like many of the prison guards. They want to move away from the South, and the tension. The warden tries to make small changes to help the prisoners, but can't do too much.

My thoughts:

Reading ab
BoekenTrol
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ruzena
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: okyrhoe
I'm not sure what to think of this novel.

I got confused by the title in comparison to the contents of the novel. At first I was wonderig if I did not mistake placing the novel in the south of the US during the racial segragation. But then there were too much clues leading me to that conclusion, so no, I was reading it with the right picture in my mind.
I liked the first part. That is, overlooking the sometimes awkward dialogues, lack of background information on the situation and what happens in
Ryan Mishap
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
"It was still dark in the cells, but bits of light were beginning to break in through the tiny windows stealthily, without a sound, the way the inmates dreamed of breaking out of prison."

In a bare-bones novel, the quote above is not only one of the few elegant descriptions, it also encapsulates the themes explored in a southern U. S. prison in the 1960's. As the Civil Rights movement grows, promising big changes, a white, reform-minded prison warden, Scott, makes small improvements in his prison
okyrhoe
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was so looking forward to reading Jerusalem Spring, mainly because - like the author - I spent my formative years in Lebanon during the civil war and, due to my father's job at the time, the complexities of the Middle Eastern conflicts are more familiar to me than my "own" country's history.
Unfortunately I can't overlook the novel's literary shortcomings, and that is a shame, because there is potential here.
The main problem, in my opinion, is the uneven structure of the novel. Two-thirds of t
Jackie
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through first-reads. The plot to this book was really good. I enjoyed the story but got lost when the author switched from the 1960s to present time. While the 2nd part of the story took place in a different time and place everything aside from two names was the same. The storyline didn't change a bit which just came across as slightly odd. It was nice in the way that I was able to see how the first part more than likely ended but still slightly confusing over all. I would recomm ...more
Nancy Brady
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Jerusalem Spring by Fares Aoun is a very different novel, one that is difficult to categorize. It combines those jailed because of the issue of segregation of the South in the 1960s with today’s Palestinian/Israeli issues. It also shows a friendship between two very different people (the warden Scott and the inmate Joe). The first half is all 1960s…when two men enter a jail compound for no other reason than the color of their skin, and a mentor who helps the man (known only as 12) adjust, and po ...more
Terri
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Aoun creates characters that are complex and sympathetic. Exploring racism and friendship through the dichotomy of the 1950s in the southern U.S. (Section I) compared to the ongoing tension in Palestine and Israel (Section II) was thought-provoking. Section II did fall a little flat overall and was slightly predictable, but the message was lovely.
Maureen Farrimond
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
An interesting title for the book which evokes a feeling of hope. There was certainly a glimpse of hope in the battle to overcome the discrimation of the civil rights era from the actions and thoughts of Scott and Joe.
Judy
Dec 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Judy by: Amy
I received this book on a bookring -- it is waiting to be read.
Jihane Melhem
Aug 08, 2011
Renee
Feb 10, 2011
Kit James
rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2011
Sami Sayed
Jun 02, 2014
Fares Aoun
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Fares Aoun
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Leslie
Jessica
Apr 06, 2011
  • 40
  • Good Things Happened Today
  • The Fifth Specter (Parker Chance, #1)
  • The City of Lost Secrets (A Mara Beltane Mystery #1)
  • Inside Rikers: Stories from the World's Largest Penal Colony
  • Living in the House of Drugs
  • Broken Dignity
  • Against Their Will: North Carolina's Sterilization Program
  • My Husband's Woman
  • It's Simple (Experience Life from a Different Perspective Series, #1)
  • جبل الزمرد