Start by marking “Mindfulness in the Marketplace: Compassionate Responses to Consumerism” as Want to Read:
Mindfulness in the Marketplace: Compassionate Responses to Consumerism

Mindfulness in the Marketplace: Compassionate Responses to Consumerism

This collection of essays edited by Allan Hunt Badiner shows us how to look deeply into the items we consume every day—not only food, but clothes, media, ideas, and images. Right Consumption suggests a reorientation for consumers from passive purchasers, who willingly and uncritically accept advertising messages for toxic products, to active, mindful, and responsible citiz ...more
Published October 8th 2002 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Mindfulness in the Marketplace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindfulness in the Marketplace

Valerie
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An extraordinary book about business and ethics. Do we really need green beans from France and pasta from Italy? I re-read it often.
Colin Moore
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It takes some time to get through all the essays in this book but it's worth it because it is a mine of great wisdom and insight into how you and I can easily make a difference in the world for the better. It illustrates through the contributions of many thoughtful essays the interrelatedness of all things and shows how our patterns of consumption influence for good or ill the lives of ourselves and others. It shows how Gandhi's saying "There's enough for everyone's need but not enough for every ...more
Niklas Braun
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a very interesting book, better than expected. It had lots of useful information based on a Buddhist interpretation of everyday consumption, mainly pertaining to how to consider all of the impacts of choices we make everyday. Surprisingly more relevant than ever despite its early 2000s publication.
Walkeo
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Some essays (early in the book) were more insightful than others. If you're already a conscientious shopper, you don't nees to read this. But, if you haven't thought much about what you purchase or where or why, you may find a bit of enlightenment.
Marta Söderlund
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of my favorite books! I recommend to many people and reference it quite often. I am upset because I lent out my copy to someone and never got it back!
John