Start by marking “Surprised by Oxford” as Want to Read:
Surprised by Oxford

Read Excerpt

Surprised by Oxford

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  1,992 Ratings  ·  332 Reviews

A "girl-meets-God" style memoir of an agnostic who, through her surprising opportunity to study at Oxford, comes to a dynamic personal faith in God.

Carolyn Weber arrives for graduate study at Oxford University as a feminist from a loving but broken family, suspicious of men and intellectually hostile to all things religious. As she grapples with her God-shaped void alongsi

Published August 8th 2011 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Surprised by Oxford, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surprised by Oxford

Melanie
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, religion
I am not going to lie, when I saw that the memoir I had agreed to read [Surprised by Oxford] by Carolyn Weber was well over 400 pages, I was a little disappointed in having chosen this title to review. Thankfully, this book is a beautiful narrative filled with poetry and quotes from classic literature, deep and intriguing questions about meaning faith and God, and even a little bit of love and friendship thrown in for good measure. This is not a boring 400+ pages filled with an author droning o ...more
Kwesi 章英狮
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Kwesi 章英狮 by: BookSneeze
There are times that a person will ask for his faith to God. Asking God's existence, the problem's that he is currently into, or why God did not stop evilness in the world. A normal person can't answer why God created everyone equal and why evil lurks in the earth. Maybe soon, we will be like Carolyn Weber, the girl who meets God in Oxford and how her life change.

Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber, is a four-hundred-page full of questions and answers about God. Ways on how she manages to overc
Douglas Bond
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Surprised by Oxford, Carolyn Weber's memoir--O my goodness, I've been loving this read. Powerful and imaginatively crafted spiritual autobiography of a recent work of the Hound of Heaven in a devoutly devoted irreligious secularist feminist, hater of everything about God Bible, Jesus, faith and grace, graduate student in literature, surrounded by Christians (dead and alive ones) at Oxford.
Kris
Incredibly powerful. Incredibly moving. Highly personal and uncomfortably profound.

This book is about an English Major who studied in Oxford and became a Christian through her studies and conversations... Being a Christian English Major who studied at Oxford for a term, this book was highly personal and highly impactive for me. It was a long read, but still somehow a quick read. I kept wanting to find some passages tedious by nature, but then I found myself re-reading certain sentences and passa
J
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
First, a disclaimer: I am atheistic/skeptical and therefore read the book and its contents critically - which is not the same as reading it without an open mind. Of course, if you're looking for a preaching to the choir then I suggest the five star reviews.

My expectation from this book was an insight into belief in god, and good (not necessarily rational) reasons for that belief. I also love a good story and value good writing above all other properties of a book.

I would like to say what it is
Jamie
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
How do you criticize someone's personal faith journey? It's impossible. This book did not have the depth to serve as anything more to me than an interesting look at just that: an individual and personal faith journey. I was frustrated by the struggle between unbelieving and Christianity: should it not be unbelieving and simply believing? After all, all religions are right and all religions are wrong: "any idea of Him we have He must in His mercy shatter."

It would have been far more compelling i
Amy
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, oxford, favorites
I love Surprised by Oxford for so many reasons.
I love this book because of Oxford. On more than one occasion, I shouted to whomever happened to be closest, "St. Ebbes! That's my church!" or "New College! That my college!" Yet on an even deeper level than passing references to places I know, Caro's experience as a abroad student resounded with me. I understand getting lost, being confused by the strange pronunciations of names, even the wonder of the tutorial system. I understood Oxford and her
Carolyn Weber truly has a way with words and has produced a beautiful memoir of her conversion to Christianity while attending Oxford University. I admire her thoughtfulness, eye for the symbolic, and the depth of her writing. However, I was really plagued with doubts about the truthfulness of her account. Several things nagged at me: she recalls past conversations with a clarity that is truly stunning (down to the tiniest facial expressions and quoted word perfect), every person she talks to (a ...more
Claire
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Great book! I became quickly immersed in Carolyn's conversion and was delighted to read about her experiences in Oxford. Although her writing gets a bit overdrawn at times, it is a pleasant, easy read, and loaded with apt quotations from some good poems. Like a kitten in yarn, she gets very wrapped up in similes and metaphors which felt a little forced.
But her transformation from an unbelieving academic to an authentic Christian scholar was honest and quite inspiring. Her friendships at school,
Deann Harris
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this - got to hear Carolyn Weber at the Festival of Faith & Writing at Calvin College, April 2014...intrigued by her presence, character, content of her speech. Compelled to get this book and could NOT put it down. Her story of coming to faith in Christ, navigating tricky waters of family/friend relationships, her thinking process while attending Oxford, her wit and brilliant literary references were all pieces of a delightful puzzle well put together by the Providence of God. Our book ...more
Rick Nau
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for this wonderful book. You can read my review at http://www.dancingpenbooks.com/la-wri... ; or read it here:

It was a summer ago that I read Carolyn Weber’s Surprised by Oxford. I was working on a novel, an attempt to resurrect a story that lingered in the distant past. I needed something to inspire me, to move me forward, to push me out of the rut I was stuck in.

I can’t remember how I found the book. Not at a bookstore. Almost all of them had long since closed their doors. The days
Linda Joy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is perhaps one of the greatest books I have ever spent my time reading. Wow. A must read.
“Books come alive not only when read, but when shared.” Pg. 238
Silvia Cachia
I read this book many years ago, and I still remember the author leading us, readers, through her life through books. I do share that joy of reading to understand life, to live better. Books are part of who we are.
Faith Hough
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely conversion memoir that makes me want to travel to England. :)

Beautiful story full of great poetry. I found the dialogue forced and formal, which unfortunately distracted at times from the otherwise well written events.
Janie
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x-2016
To remember:

"That is the bizarre thing about the good news: who knows how you will really hear it one day, but once you have heard it, I mean really heard it, you can never unhear it. Once you have read it, or spoken it, or thought it, even if it irritates you, even if you hate hearing it or cannot find it feasible, or try to dismiss it, you cannot unread it, or unspeak it, or unthink it."

"It was occurring to me that believing in the Bible was an all-or-nothing affair. Either you believe it is t
Loraena
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
I loved this book. More specifically, I wanted to live in it. I didn't want it to end. This world where people read and quote poetry to each other for fun and drop classic literary references as if they were pop culture - I want to live there. Atmospherically, I felt so at home in Caro's head and related to the way she creates large metaphors in her mind. It felt familiar.

The story itself is just really good and is very well told. She walks the reader through her spiritual journey to Christianit
Jude
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was unsure if I would enjoy this book, worried that the author's esteemed Oxford background would make me feel less than intelligent. However, she faces a classic question, "What will you do then with Jesus?" on her faith journey. I liked that she took time to grapple with the questions she had, and how she worked through them with a thoughtfulness and consideration that we often do not afford others or ourselves. Grace is such a prevalent theme, and one that challenges the reader to spend wha ...more
Randy Alcorn
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Carolyn Weber is a formidable intellect and a sought after college professor, as well as a great wife and mom. But what I love most about her is her heart, which you’ll find on every page of this book. Showing us the world through her eyes, she brings readers along on her journey to Oxford, where the unexpected awaited her. This is a journey worth taking, and as our guide, Carolyn is candid, insightful and charming.
Anne Bogel
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I'd give this one 3.5 stars if I could. I wanted to love this book; I'm afraid it may be the victim of my high expectations. My major complaint (and it's a big one) is that the LENGTHY soliloquies in the mouth of a major character just didn't ring true for me. This is memoir: it needs to feel real. But people just don't talk like this character does in the book.

Unless they do at Oxford, of course.

But I doubt it.
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the first new and completed book of my 24th year, being a birthday gift from a dear English friend. I doubt it will be surpassed this year, indeed the goodness of it and meditation on it could last me the year long. I cannot recommend it highly enough!
Callie Hornbuckle
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book to ring in the new year! I really enjoyed the poetry excerpts - as you would expect from the memoir of a Romantic poetry scholar. She has a beautiful grasp of language and writes clearly and precisely.
Colleen
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
such poetic writing , great story, learned about Oxford & I feel smart!
Emmie
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A beloved favorite...re-read while visiting Oxford. Thought-provoking, powerful, humbling, and an overall wonderful memoir!
Ness Kingsley
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: heart-sigh
Encouraging, beautifully written and a prompting to visit Oxford ... Yep, it's a book I've really enjoyed.
Jenny
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I was torn between three and four stars for this one, but ultimately landed on "a highly enjoyable three-star book". I do love a good adult-conversion story, and while I admire Carolyn Weber as an inquisitive student, and loved the backdrop of Oxford, I can't say I was a huge fan of her writing style (a bit TOO many metaphors, and a bit TOO many puns. And I'm a fan of both.).

Also, and I acknowledge how unfair this is, but I couldn't help comparing this book to the wonderful, ten-star read that
Cindy
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was delightful.
I will never look at a ? The same way again. 😊
Ken
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber is an autobiography/memoir of the author's first year of study at Oxford, during which she converted to Christianity. It is okay. The story is engaging, sometimes humorous, and the writing is clear.

Some parts, however, don't ring true--Weber admits in the introduction that some conversations and characters have been combined or streamlined for the sake of the narrative, and it is--I think--fairly easy to point toward those scenes, where conversations and ques
Jason Custer
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was initially drawn to read Surprised by Oxford because of the clear hat tip to Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis (which I thoroughly enjoyed). In many ways, it parallels Lewis' autobiography and lives up to its namesake. It chronicles Weber's conversion from being an agnostic seeking academia to a Christian seeking the face of God. It all takes place within her first year at Oxford, right where Lewis himself taught. And Weber, as a teacher of literature (like Lewis), heavily integrates poetry an ...more
Ethan
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"We will tell them our story and the story of how God loves a good story. And how he has authored a good story for each of us--the best story there was, and is, and ever will be."

Most importantly, this book encouraged me spiritually. Carolyn doesn't hesitate to relate her struggles, the same struggles that many people face on a daily basis. She shows that those struggles are part of what makes us human and that only by the grace of God can we find the answers we seek and have joy in the midst of
Esther Marie
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up and read it over the course of two days, which is probably much too quickly to really read this kind of book. I get the feeling it is meant to be enjoyed like dark chocolate, slowly melting and being savored along the way, rather than raced through like a cheap bag of Hershey's Kisses. I may end up going back and reading parts of it again, because it is beautifully written and engaging.

Why four stars instead of five? Well, the author jumps from present to past to commentary
  • Raised Right: How I Untangled My Faith from Politics
  • Booked: Literature in the Soul of Me
  • Still: Notes on a Mid-Faith Crisis
  • Jesus Girls: True Tales of Growing Up Female and Evangelical
  • The Waiting Place: Learning to Appreciate Life's Little Delays
  • Found: A Story of Questions, Grace, and Everyday Prayer
  • When We Were on Fire: A Memoir of Consuming Faith, Tangled Love, and Starting Over
  • Faith and Other Flat Tires: Searching for God on the Rough Road of Doubt
  • Tables in the Wilderness: A Memoir of God Found, Lost, and Found Again
  • All Is Grace: A Ragamuffin Memoir
  • The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journey Into Christian Faith
  • Not God's Type: An Atheist Academic Lays Down Her Arms
  • Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me: A Memoir. . . of Sorts
  • Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture
  • The Christian Imagination: The Practice of Faith in Literature and Writing
  • Girl at the End of the World: My Escape from Fundamentalism in Search of Faith with a Future
  • A Passion for the Impossible: The Life of Lilias Trotter
  • Half the Church: Recapturing God's Global Vision for Women
Hi I'm Carolyn. I taught literature to undergrads for 15 years, but resigned my tenured position in a ginormous LEAP WITH FAITH (blogpost). When I am not enjoying time with husband and 4 spirited children under 8, I enjoy reading and writing. My previous (even bigger) "leap to faith" is detailed in my book SURPRISED BY OXFORD . You can download a FREE PDF of Ch.1
More about Carolyn Weber

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • Slouching Towards Bethlehem: Essays
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions to Help You See It and Seize It
    $9.49 $2.99
“Ahhh, teaching literature. A noble calling! For we are all stories.” 10 likes
“Dr. Deveaux stopped and looked at me hard. He leaned in and whispered, 'The rest is all bullshit, Miss Drake. It's as simple as that. Your purpose here in life is to discern the real thing from the bullshit, and then to choose the non-bullshit. Think of the opportunity that God has given you to study as the means by which to attain your own personal bullshit detector. Sometimes that will be particularly difficult, because those who proclaim to know the truth, well intentioned or not, are spewing the most bullshit. But you will know when you have been properly ravished. And then you'll see, how the entire world is eyeball deep in it and that we choose it, and that we choose it every day. But the good news is that, although we struggle with it, there is a way out. Yes, there is a very worthy antidote and option to all the bullshit.” 6 likes