Start by marking “Highway 61 (Mac McKenzie, #8)” as Want to Read:
Highway 61 (Mac McKenzie, #8)

Highway 61 (Mac McKenzie #8)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Used novel
Published June 7th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Highway 61, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highway 61

Sasscer Hill
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am delighted to have discovered David Housewright. His latest novel, Highway 61, kept my attention the whole way through, and Housewright's action scenes are edge of the seat. I am still reeling from the car chase!

Housewright's hero is an interesting study of a man who uses his wealth to help others on a very personal, self endangering level instead of donating to unknown, untouchable people on the far side of a charity organization.

I would recommend Housewright and this book to anyone who li
BJ
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
The more I read this series, the more I like it. After walking away from being a cop to be a rich man instead, McKenzie still wants to do good. He manages to do this by "doing favors" for people who need help. I enjoy Housewright's wry sense of humor and the fact that he doesn't let his hero get too full of himself. I love the Minnesota setting, but I'm happy to read about rather than experience those long cold winters. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Rhonda Gilliland
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this one a little different than the others. I discovered that I often learn something, however in this one there were many more interesting facts. The other difference was a lot more laughs. I haven't laughed this much since he was dating the ex-girlfriend, and sure enough he made reference to her. Nina's ex dupes him into this one after her daughter goads him and knows he's an easy mark to get on her good side. That's my interpretation. Either way he should have listened to Nina to not ...more
Daniel
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I am only slowly starting to read more in the detective/mystery genre, and read this because of an author visit to a local library and because it features locations that I am familiar with.

I found this to be engaging, creating enough mystery and interest that I was willing to read each successive chapter, but not so engrossing that I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

The premise of the Rushmore McKenzie series is that McKenzie is an ex-cop who received a great deal of money by solving a ca
Max Everhart
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the reasons I read (and write) crime novels is to experience danger without suffering any of the consequences. Call it what you will. Escapism. Wish fulfillment. Fantasy. But whatever label you want to put on it, I would argue it is a healthy way to indulge, and David Housewright’s PI novel Highway 61 is one thoroughly satisfying indulgence, a book totally worthy of adverbs.

In Highway 61, Rushmore McKenzie (great name!) is a recent millionaire and unlicensed PI who does favors for his fr
Linda
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book so much I read 2 more of his immediately. Great character development. Fun that it is set in MSP! Love that he lives in St. Paul, as I do. So the MN settings are great to read about. This was selected by my book club. Great fun.
Larry
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rushmore McKenzie is a former cop who works, on occasion, as an investigator and problem solver. He lives in a St. Paul MN suburb and is fairly tough and funny, in a p.i./wise guy way. His long-time girlfriend's daughter asks Mackenzie to bail her father out of a tight spot,and it's a measure of McKenzie's regard for her that he accepts. Like Jim Thompson once wrote about crime novels in general, things are not as they seem. The former husband isn't quite so innocent of wrongdoing. In fact, he's ...more
Richard Thompson
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-alouds, mystery
An enjoyable light read. The characterizations and plot in this one were a bit tighter than in THE TAKING OF LIBBY, SD but our hero, Rushmore McKenzie still comes across as a bit of a loose cannon.

19. MemoryWalk: Edmonton Street between 15th Avenue and Duchess Parks School is Highway 61 (flipped north for south, but we will ignore that...). At the Canadian end of the highway (at St. Giles Church) we see a gigantic, female Mountie in full dress uniform playing a saxophone. The the Louisiana end o
Lis
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Another Mackenzie shoot-em-up. Not badly done. No angels but the worst end up deas.
Harvey
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I do like this series featuring Rushmore McKenzie, independently wealthy ex-cop who likes to keep his hand in by doing "favors" for people. In this case the favor is for his girlfriend/fiance's daughter on behalf of the girl's father. This one does get a bit over-the-top violent but part of the theme is whether McKenzie has "crossed the line" in his approach to doing favors. Well-written, good development of ongoing characters without stifling the specific case/story. Good use of Minneapolis/St. ...more
Marla Madison
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Fast moving suspense/crime novel. A few too many chase scenes for my taste, but action lovers will be happy with them. Interesting protagonist, even though he tends to be a little Charles Bronson-ish and sticks to his promise to his girlfriend's daughter to the point where the reader finds it a little hard to believe. Or take.
On the bright side, this is a very well written book with excellent dialogue. The characters are very well done, and the plot kept me reading until the end.

Kat
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca
Feb 25, 2011 rated it liked it
David Housewright creates great characters--a reluctant detective, a variety pack of nefarious evil-doers and several wise and beautiful women. These page-turners featuring ex-cop Rushmore McKenzie remind me somewhat of Stuart Woods' Stone Barrington novels. Housewright's St. Paul-area settings are creative. Not the usual settings and certainly not the usual cast of characters.
Jan
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am always appreciative how Housewright / McKenzie can tie up all the bad guys/loose ends of the plot. Justice is served. This one wasn't as lyrically written as its predecessor, but the flags for St. Paul were waving! The baddies were certifiable and smoothly professional. Hard to fight both! Yea, McKenzie!
Kelly
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
McKenzie is a former cop and acts as an unlicensed PI. Set in Minnesota and Canada, the main character reminds me of Jance's Beaumont. Quite a good book. I will look for the earlier ones and hope for more.
Joe O'Connor
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent; Continuing character: Rushmore McKenzie; McKenzie agrees to help his girlfriend's ex-husband at the request of her daughter, and find himself caught up in prostitution, drugs, murder, and blackmail
Elizabeth
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another solid McKenzie mystery. Not my favorite in the series, but I've yet to read a bad installment. The mystery kept me guessing and the plot was great. Housewright continues to be one of my favorite mystery series authors. Can't wait to read the next in the series!
Clare
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Just as the other people in McKenzie's life are concerned about him and drawing away, so am I. McKenzie seemed like a sneaky jerk and I didn't like him. he seemed to be helping for the wrong reasons and stonewalling for no good reason.
Pat Gallagher
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, partly because I am from the area featured.
Wendy
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Enjoyable mystery set in Minnesota.
Betsy Osborn
Love this series Set in Minneapolis
Steven Farmer
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? He hooked me. Almost as good as John Sanford IMHO.
Susan Kosel
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I like the fact these books are mostly set in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Al Stoess
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Housewright fans. Mystery fans
Good work. Housewright writes an interesting novel.

Reread 12/19/12
June
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Always enjoy reading about Rushmore McKenzie. Fast reading book, good story, great character!
Rob Adamson
Mar 30, 2017
Beckster
Nov 12, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Silencing Sam (Riley Spartz, #3)
  • One Hot Mess (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #5)
  • Drift Away (Noah Braddock, #4)
  • Stray Bullets (Detective Greene, #3)
  • Trickster's Point (Cork O'Connor, #12)
  • Marriage Can Be Murder (Dr. Benjamin Bones Mysteries, #1)
  • The Wild Beasts of Wuhan (Ava Lee, #3)
  • Spilled Blood
  • Blood is the Sky (Alex McKnight, #5)
  • Big Wheat
  • The Black Minute (John Santana, #2)
  • Hunter's Moon
A reformed newspaper reporter and ad man, Housewright's book "Penance" (Foul Play Press) earned the 1996 Edgar Award for Best First Novel from the Mystery Writers of America and was nominated for a Shamus in the same category by the Private Eye Writers of America.

"Practice to Deceive" won the 1998 Minnesota Book Award (it is currently being developed as a feature film) and "Jelly's Gold" won the s
More about David Housewright...

Mac McKenzie (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2)
  • Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3)
  • Dead Boyfriends (Mac McKenzie, #4)
  • Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)
  • Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6)
  • The Taking of Libbie, SD (Mac McKenzie, #7)
  • Curse of the Jade Lily (Mac McKenzie, #9)
  • The Last Kind Word (Mac McKenzie, #10)
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)