Start by marking “Why Your Life Sucks” as Want to Read:
Why Your Life Sucks

Why Your Life Sucks

The in-your-face, no-hype guide to getting happy…

Your life sucks if…
• You routinely make someone or something more important than you
• The life you are living on the outside doesn’t match who you are on the inside
• You say yes when you mean no
• You try to fix other people
• You’ve forgotten to enjoy the ride

When your lif
Published November 29th 2005 by Bantam (first published June 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Why Your Life Sucks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Your Life Sucks

Start your review of Why Your Life Sucks
Kater Cheek
Mar 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I didn't finish this book. And this review isn't going to be very fair, because I'm going to rant about the genre as a whole.

Alan Cohen didn't invent the touchy-feely new age self-help book, but he did come up with an awesome title, which is why I picked it up. I've been on a quest for a do-it-yourself therapy book that doesn't sound like it was written by a maudlin weeper. Cohen has a no-nonsense voice, so I'll give him that.
Cynthia Vespia
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ok, at first blush you read the title and think WTF? How is this going to help me? Well if you're looking for a self help book, or a little pick me up, or just some clever reading, then Alan Cohen's work in "Why Your Life Sucks, and What You Can Do About It" is a book you need to read.
He takes the new age metaphysics of The Secret, throws in some Tony Robbins, adds a dash of his own thoughts and turns out a book that actually makes sense!
Not since Lynn Grabhorn's "Excuse Me Your Life
Karl
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just by reading the title of this book it is apparent that Allen Cohen adds a good dash of humor onto the pages of, “Why Your Life Sucks: and what you can do about it.” Indeed, I would say that Alan writes with the same entertaining and lively style as Andrew Matthews who wrote such wonderful books as, “How to be Happy” and “Follow Your Heart.”

There are a great number of self-help books on the market and it is very refreshing to find authors who maintain their sense of humor while wr
Anais
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! At first I wasn't sure quite what to expect but the title was humorous and recommend by Abraham Hicks in one of her talks I listened to. It was amazing! Had a great many a-ha moments and found Alan to be quite funny - which is a bonus because I genuinely enjoyed the process of reading it not just absorbing the information. I you feel drained or unhappy or want more energy I would really recommend this or even if you aren't its fabulous <3
Felicity
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Don't be fooled by the name or embarrassed to read the book in public!! This is an AWESOME book on helping you to reclaim your power and make healthy, active, choices to make your life better... just by how you focus your attention on life. I recommend that anyone read this book is they sometimes feel like their life isn't as good as it could be. And I really recommend that anyone just READ THIS BOOK! It can only make your life better.....
Selena Stan
Jan 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not recommended for realistic, pragmatic people or for persons who have some experience with good self-development literature.

I considered it slightly delusional, illustrating an unhealthy perception of the social web and everyone's role in it. A bad versions of Buddhist wisdom (in which every person is a little God).
ellen
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this book. I should say I couldn't finish this book. I got the distinct impression that there would be more harm done by reading the rest than good (and that it would be a waste of my time). I bought the book because it looked like it would be a slightly sardonic and amusing insight into life. What I found was a book in which the author basically rehashes a bunch of typical "self-help" mantras and does it in a rather patronizing fashion. He thinks he has it all figured out. Be sk ...more
PATRICK
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hate self-help books, but this had a great, breezy air about it that made its lessons delightfully easy to swallow. I didn't feel like the messages were being jammed down my throat, and when I did recognize myself in the pages, I didn't feel like a finger was being wagged at me either. Instead everything came through with a healthy dose of laughter making this a really great spirit-lifter.
Dale
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book really does answer what might be "sucking" the joy out of your life. Lots of good thoughts on how to get more out of life. It is very well written and has a lot of humor in it but still makes great points and gets it's message across in a very "readable" way. I can see from reading this book why Alan Cohen is one of Wayne W. Dyer's favorite writers. I highly recommend this book.
"Jeff" Hall
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a self-help book. Many of its lessons may sound familiar, but they are far more enjoyable to read. Cohen writes with humor, freshness, and simplicity. This is a fun read that will also put your life on track.
Britt Cochran
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great messages! Great book! I would buy this book for all of my friends and family if i could and knew they would read it!
Carlo Franco
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shift your attention and you will shift your life.
Jess Owens
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe a little lower than 4 stars, 3.8? But I'll round up. I enjoyed this book and definitely highlighted and tabbed lots of pages. What took the rating down to me was the overuse of metaphors. I'm fine with a couple personal stories that turn into a metaphor for life, but it got old to me. Some things felt repetitive. But overall, it's a good read. I struggle with self-help books because while I understand where they're coming from, he's writing this book as someone who is already established s ...more
Tina
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
When I first picked this book up, I didn't take it seriously, both because of the title and cheesy graphics on the cover. Even so, something about it called to me, so I gave it a chance. I'm so glad I did!

I'm no stranger to self help books. I've read 'em all. OK, maybe not all of them, but A LOT. For that reason, there wasn't anything particularly new to me in this book, but it was the way Mr. Cohen presented the material that was helpful to me. His approach is somewhat in-your-face, which some may n
Lora Shouse
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to select quotes from this book because almost every line or paragraph is a pithy quote about something. The author evidently subscribes to the Law of Attraction philosophy and so believes that people can create the lives they want primarily from their own beliefs. That everyone can be successful by embracing their passion. And so on.

Much of the book talks about dealing with relationships of various kinds and how you can restructure your relationships to get the most
Luminiţa Cristina
I'm surprized to read that many persons didn't like or couldn't even finish the book. Because I liked it very much. When I first got it, I thought that it's something like a personal story, so I didn't read it for a long period of time. Then, when I actually discovered what it was, I enjoyed every single word and it gave me a pleasant feeling. It is true that we must let it go, live our lives the way we feel, without feeling guilty or exhausted, otherwise it will become like the title (in romani ...more
Tim
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinarily powerful.
Merriment
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Given that I had most of these negative methods in my life. It made a lot of sense why my life sucked. By understanding my habits, I was able to make more positive changes in my life.
maggy
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I like the author’s outlook in life. He is clear, firm and direct. He wakes you up to a new understanding. I suggest you read it to convince yourself!
Patricia Morais
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book, has some useful tips but sometimes the examples are a little forced and completly unrelated.
Lily
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, own
Same old same old, but a good reminder
Michele Sellman
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! I will forever be a fan of Cohen's if for his storytelling alone, but he has a way of simplifying life and taking away all the extra nonsense we tend to worry about that we shouldn't. Granted, some people are not going to be ready to read his "advice" in this book. In doing so, you admit, "Your Life Sucks." In essece, he is saying your life, you're the captain, take responsibility from here on out and this is how to get you started.

Quick story: I first became a fan of Cohen many years
Cathie
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I picked this up on a sale table and have had it sitting around for years. The title and cover are attention-grabbing so I decided to read it (I am particularly bad at reasons 6 and 7) before I added it to the stack of books to give away.

It's written in a breezy, humorous style and seems to hit the topics of most every self-help book out there. A quick read, there are nuggets of good advice even though it's slightly "new age-y." Some of the quotes cracked me up and I actually started
AlexLovesBooks
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-experience
I wouldn't say that this is a life-changing book, but it is certainly filled with wonderful gems of wisdom. Everything is simple and I think it is the key that makes this book a great one to come back to again and again. I believe that self-help book will be good or not depending on your style and how writer connects with you. For this book, even though it does not ring with you, at least it is a good read and fun. If it rings with you, it can be one of the best books for you. So, try it out. Y ...more
Jeannie
May 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Read this on a recommendation - happy to say that my life doesn't stink enough to have enjoyed it! Basic stuff without any practical solutions. Yes, I'd like to just follow my dreams but drat, the mortgage payment and grocery bills do still come around and the cat box still needs changing! - Okay, it wasn't quite that bad. A quick glance over the table of contents though will give most of us a healthy reminder of things that can make life better; there isn't much reason to plow through it all.
Douglas Lord
Honest, engaging; treats multiple types of sucking, e.g., You give your power away and You try to fix other people with quick, speedy takes on the syndromes behind these types of behaviors. It’s no panacea, but it’s interesting.

Find reviews of books for men at Books for Dudes, Books for Dudes, the online reader's advisory column for men from Library Journal. Copyright Library Journal.
Amy Hirschman
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite what the main title says, this book can be for anyone in any walk of life, even if your entire life doesn't suck. There are always aspects of anyone's life that could use a little improvement, a boost, or a change in perspective. This book is full of positive encouragement and reminds us to take a step back and enjoy the ride instead of only focusing on the past or the future. There's a wealth of advice in here, so I highly recommend it.
Philip Athans
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-up
Why am I reading this book? It was supposed to be my personal/professional enrichment book, but it's enriching neither, and the fact is, happily, my life DOES NOT suck, though in part it's because I long ago read this same advice from other sources (MANY other sources, truth be told) and took it to heart. This is not a bad book, if your life sucks. If it doesn't suck, this book is just unnecessary.
VIVIANA GONZALEZ
Alan H. Cohen is 1 great Self-Help Guru !! "Why Your Life Sucks..." will change your view of life. In Short, it teaches you to feed your soul, remove the impurities, live for yourself, and let go of all the unnecessary poisons that envade your world. You, you, you... are the important factor on whether your life will 'suck' or fourish upon all the beautiful wonders that life has in store for you. --- A Must Read.
Dec 26, 2008 rated it liked it
I received this book as Christmas present and wasn't quite sure what to think of it --- my life doesn't really suck and the cover seemed very bubblegum. I've also read various books that cover the same topic; yet, this was the most humorous, true to life book I've read on how to improve your attitude and outlook. I'd recommend this to anyone.
« previous 1 3 next »

• You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective
  • 50 Self-Help Classics: 50 Inspirational Books to Transform Your Life from Timeless Sages to Contemporary Gurus
  • How to Raise Your Self-Esteem: The Proven Action-Oriented Approach to Greater Self-Respect and Self-Confidence
  • 101 Ways to Transform Your Life
  • Your Word is Your Wand: A Sequel to the Game of Life and How to Play It
  • The Price We Paid: The Extraordinary Story of the Willie and Martin Handcart Pioneers
  • King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero
  • The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life's Journey
  • Attitude 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • How to Lie with Statistics
  • Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto
Alan Cohen is the author of several self help books.
“newspaper ads for lost pets and earthquakes that soon follow. Other studies indicate a higher rate of last-minute cancellations for airplane flights that crash. While we may be tempted to look outside ourselves for advice, we are all quite brilliant and know a lot more about our path and destiny than we recognize.” 0 likes
“Any problem you recognize represents but a tiny blip on the radar screen of your well-being. Even while you are experiencing a difficulty, homeostasis is working on your behalf to return you to perfect balance. Your role is simply to relax and allow nature to take its healing course.” 0 likes