Start by marking “Tropical Kiss” as Want to Read:
Tropical Kiss

Tropical Kiss

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  2,050 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
A summer in Aruba, on the beach, in the sun–what else could a girl want? A summer romance, of course!

Imagine spending your entire summer vacation on the beautiful Islands of Aruba. Who could ask for anything more? Well, for Morgan Callahan, spending her entire summer in Aruba with the father, she hardly knows, is barely anything to look forward to. In fact, she is dreading
Published May 10th 2005 by HarperTeen (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tropical Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tropical Kiss

Mandy
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kathy Davie
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
This will appeal to those who fantasized about an "older man" while they were in high school. I can remember back to my high school years….dating a college guy was hot stuff.

My Take
Very much a young teen romance with an irritating heroine. She is rude, self-absorbed, crude, and such a child. Ah, well, I guess you could say she's a typical teen, and I shouldn't condemn the story for that.

And stupid. God, she's dumb. It's more as though Coffey couldn't really be bothered to work at this and just
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Morgan Callahan is a seventeen-year-old girl with a life in turmoil. She's still recovering from a broken leg, hobbling along on crutches. Her mother has just remarried and is indulging in a little private honeymoon with her new husband. Her father, who she hasn't seen in three years, is currently in Aruba for business, and she's passed along to him for the summer. Arriving on a tropical island for a little summer vacation should be calming, but from the very b
Ally
Oct 14, 2008 added it
This book was hilarious! I love Morgan and her klutzy, spunky self. The author really knows how to make a person laugh. It was serious yet funny. I would love it if the author would make a sequal about her living in Washington D.C.
Mickey Reed
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA fans, beachy summery YA fans
Recommended to Mickey by: Ren
Shelves: 2011
I thought this was was totally cute! There were times when it was light, a chunk when it went a bit heavy, but the overall feel was fun. I liked the little mystery in there, and the romance part was amusing. Plus, Morgan's broken leg and overall clumsiness lead to some laughter.

Morgan is going to stay with her father in Aruba for part of the summer while her mother goes on a honeymoon with her new husband in India. Morgan has never been close to her father and expects this trip to somewhat be a
Geli
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, teen, own-it, aruba
I found this book to be very cute. Its a very quick read, which surprised me. I did not find it that all exciting though. I thought there could have been more excitement in this book especially towards the end. But Overall, like I said its a cute novel. If youre looking for a quick romantic read this would be it.

~After three years of not seeing him, Morgan is going to visit her dad in Aruba. Expecting to be alone and bored out of her mind she finds herself having the time of her life and even fa
Ariana
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a sweet, light read. It was funny and nice for when you want your spirits lifted up.
Morgan was strong and she didn't want any help and I loved that about her. I loved, also, how Cy didn't push her and helped her slightly. I thought the romance was a bit gooey in places and i wished it wasn't so sicklysweet.
I really liked Morgan as a character and how she wasn't so vain, but I don't like it when characters are all "whoa, i'm beautiful, ohmygosh, nooo, *blush*" and even though Mor
Sherry
Aug 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book rocks! It deals with girl who is sent to Aruba to live with her father for the summer, while her mother is on her honeymoon in India. She doesn't know her father very well but by the end of the summer learns to save herself (That sunglasses dude!) and a little bit more about her father. And maybe just maybe falls in love.
Jackie
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Another great book buy this writer! We'll plotted amazing realistic characters.This is my lest favorite of the books by Jan Coffey but I think it is still a great read.This is one of my all time favorite writers and I am so greatful for all the greatb books!
Caroline
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is very good so far. It is about a girl who has to stay in Aruba with her father who she doesn't know that well and a young man while her mother honeymoons in India with her soon to be step dad.
Vicki
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a cute book! It had everything I wanted for the summer, nice summery location (Aruba), cute boy (Cy), romance (amazing romance every girl dreams of), intrigue/mystery (who are those people following Morgan?!) ahh very good :)
Morgan
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
loved it!! it had a little mystery in it too which is fun and unusual
Clare
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So romantic! Great summer reading.
Nancy
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Funny! What a fun book to read! Geared towards young adults but I loved it. A great summer read.
Emma
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
The beginning was great, but the ending.... well I'll just say It's not something I'd tell an elementary school student to read.
Allie
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I've read this every summer for years now :)
Pam
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Teen romance.
Mel (Reviews In A Pinch)
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Actual rating is 3.5 out of 5 stars.

I definitely picked this book up because of the cover. I went to school for marine science and the tropical fish were just too adorable to pass up. I figured I’d be okay because I usually like the cutesy, quick chick lit reads. I wasn’t wrong.

Tropical Kiss was so stinking cute. The awkward situations that Morgan kept ending up in were absolutely hilarious. Getting stuck between the toilet and bath tub in a towel can’t be described any other way than hilarious.
Amber
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. I was a fan of the setting, not knowing much about Aruba but Coffey's writing made me feel like I knew it as well as Cy and Morgan grew to.
Speaking of that couple, they were pretty textbook YA couple, but I was a fan of them not breaking up for some dumb reason and spending about 1/4 of the novel pining in angst. So that was nice. This whole novel was just really refreshing, and I think it's really a great read over a vacation, such as spring bre
Elsie
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Karen
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and quick read, but I enjoyed it.

Morgan has just finished her junior year of high school and is being sent to Aruba to live with her father. A father that she has not seen in many years. This is not the summer she was looking forward to and plans to spend her time with her father in misery.

Then Cy picks her up from the airport. Cy happens to be Morgan's father's assistant. He and Morgan hit it off immediately. The rest is history :)

I found this book on the freebie list a few weeks
Alexa Bogran
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought that this novel was well written and overall a good book. It was a summer romance novel, which kind of annoyed me at times with all the "lovey dovey" feel to it, but the backround story of the main character and the twist at the end of the story was enjoyable and intriguing. The first chapter got my attention and kept me wanting to read more because sometimes the romance and gossip that was going on was interesting and kept me wandering who would end up with who and how their relations ...more
Coy Willes
I read this book when I was in Junior High, and I loved it. After I read it once I bought the book, and reread it a couple times. I was in the stage of wanting to grow up, and having a boyfriend. Every girl loves reading romance books, and this is a perfect book for young girls infatuated with the idea of love. This story is about a teenage girl that goes to live in Aruba with her father for the summer, and meets a guy, and tells her story summer adventure. This book is a cute fun read for teena ...more
Merredith
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a super quick read. A 17 year old girl has to spend the summer with her dad she hasn’t seen in 3 yrs, because her mom is on a honeymoon with her new stepdad. She complains about having to go to aruba…um ok I would not complain about that. Stuff happens..gooshy stuff, growing up stuff, suspense stuff..then it ends all wrapped up super neatly (not gonna give it away though it's predictable). Cute book but requires zero thought. Oh, and it does the whole lecture thing in there randomly abo ...more
Michelle
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just like Caribbean Cruising, I remember I loved this book when I read it, and lent it to all my friends. It was a light and fun read. What specially attracted me was the caribbean setting, and how the story never got boring, on the contrary, I found myself laughing out loud at times. I really enjoyed this book.
Lisa
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
A bit of YA/teen girl fluff to start the year,but how better to start the coldest new year on record since the early 70's than a book set in Aruba? I feel a little old reading this book as it brings back all the drama of being a teen girl on the cusp of that crazy time after childhood but before adulthood. The characters are likeable, and believeable. While not something I will recommend for my own daughter--at least for a long while-- it's like a sex Ed senario in book form.
Jenny
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, realistic
Morgan is feeling put out. She has a broken leg and crutches, and she has been shipped off against her will to stay with the father she hasn't seen in 3 years. Could her summer get any worse? Then she gets to Aruba, wher her father is an American bureaucrat. She meets Ly, her dad's intern, and Mac, a good friend, and her summer is looking up. Except for the fact her father may be a drug dealer . . .
Allison
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is actually fantastic. I picked it up for the hell of it for a book report in Grade 7, and I've loved it ever since. I continued to use it on all my book reports up until I graduated high school. I didn't even need to re-read the nook to do my book reports because I knew it off by heart. Definitely one of the best books I've ever read.
Erika
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute book. I was more expecting it to be adult fiction but it feels very young adult with a protagonist the age of 17. Over all the romance felt natural and not too forced. I felt like the main character was relateable and was much like me at 17. There were some unlikely conclusions drawn about her father and his job, but overall I liked the book a lot.
Kayli Corriveau
It's a super cute book.. I would recommend this book to someone who is just looking for an easy summer read! Such a cute romance summer story specially for that high school girl that just wants an epic summer love story!
  • Tourist Trap
  • Snow in Love
  • So Inn Love
  • Lovestruck Summer
  • Killer Cruise
  • Save the Date
  • Island Girls (and Boys)
  • Summer in the City
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Sleepless
  • South Beach Sizzle
  • Gettin’ Lucky
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Love on Cue
May McGoldrick
(a.k.a. Nikoo & Jim McGoldrick)

Nikoo and Jim McGoldrick are storytellers with a checkered past.
From the submarine shipyards of Electric Boat in Groton, Connecticut, and the clubs of Rodeo Drive, to the forges of Pennsylvania and the electronics manufacturers of Massachusetts, these two have spent their lives gathering material for their novels. Nikoo, a manufacturing engineer, an
More about Jan Coffey

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“What he was saying was that he really wanted to be part of her life. The good days and the bad ones, too.” 7 likes
“I’m just me – half a family, no awareness whatsoever about style, or what’s in and what’s out. I’m not like the lizards. I don’t really even know how I’m supposed to be with a guy that I’m attracted to. I’ve never been a game player. I don’t know how to be coy… or sexy… or whatever. I have no finesse.” 5 likes