Start by marking “Home For A Bunny” as Want to Read:
Home For A Bunny

Home For A Bunny

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  2,305 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
This springtime classic about a bunny looking for a home is now available as a board book, for the very first time, in our new Golden Baby Board Book line.
Board book, 24 pages
Published January 11th 2011 by Golden Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Home For A Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home For A Bunny

Caleb
Apr 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those curious about where bunnies live
Recommended to Caleb by: I think the Easter Bunny gave it to me originally...
Shelves: picture-books
I read this several thousand times growing up, and just re-read it as an adult for the first time. It's considerably less suspensful than I remembered it being. (Spoiler: The best place for a rabbit to live isn't a bird's nest or a frog's bog but in a rabbit hole).

A warren? Is that what you call rabbit den/holes? This book doesn't say. The art is by Garth Williams, who wrote and drew the anti-living-in-sin book "The Rabbit's Wedding," which I did not realize until just this weekend.

Becky B
I absolutely adored this story and the illustrations as a young child. To this day I think I can still recite almost the entire book.
Russell
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
MWB typically knocks it out of the park when bunnies are involved. Just thinking about The Runaway Bunny gets me misty-eyed. But this rabbit romp reaches and falls flat. (view spoiler)
Heather
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book as a child. My mother read it to me about 1,000 Times. My father read it to me about 2,000 times. I had it memorized. My son's loved it too. With a celebration of spring, a wonderful story mixed with beautiful illustrations by Garth Williams, this book is a must-have for all young children.
Margaret Chind
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
Very cute. Picture and story from my childhood now I'm able to share with my girls in a lovely large golden book format. Perfect for spring all season long and a good add on bunny theme around Easter.
Shala K.
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet little story. Pleasant to read over (and over and over ...)
Adrienne
Fond memories of my mother reading this to me. I thought the ending was so beautiful. Also, my mom would always say "Home for a bunny" when we were done with our errands.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Margaret Wise Brown words + Garth Williams illustrations = Love
Megan B
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book AND perfect for emerging readers
Andy Hickman
Little Golden Books – Home for a Bunny
Nice to return to these first reads of mine.
Brittany
This is a great book for springtime and talking about animals and their homes.
Robert Beveridge
Margaret Wise Brown, Home for a Bunny (Golden Press, 1956)

Margaret Wise Brown is, of course, best-known for Goodnight Moon. It's a classic for a reason, even if it does break its rhythm in one very conspicuous place (“and a young mouse” is missing two syllables). If you're familiar with Brown past that, it's probably because of The Runaway Bunny, and I have often wondered how popular that book would still be were pictures of it not cleverly introduced in Goodnight Moon. But Brown wrote a large n
Jay
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review of Mr. Dog earned a "caution - spoilers" red flag.

So, let's forget the plot of this "bunny" book, such as it is, and hop right to the reasons -- two, of them -- you should buy it and read it aloud to your child,your children, your sweetheart, or anyone else you care about, yourself included.

1) Margaret Wise Brown wrote it.

2) Garth Williams illustrated it.

Margaret Wise Brown had a "thing" for rabbits, and no one illustrates them cuter, cuddlier and more appealingly (from a child's pe
Katie Fitzgerald
Read during Preschool Class Visit on 5/9/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 4/12/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 8/22/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Moms Club Story Time on 4/28/16: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Anne Hennessey
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Home for a bunny is a wonderful tale about a little bunny looking for a house to make his home. This picture book is repetitive, so even a child of two after a view readings will be able to start repeating the story line or by looking at the pictures.
I used this book in preschool with a Neighborhood theme. We discussed that there are a variety of houses but the one you choose becomes your home.
I love love this picture book!
Emily Garrison
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Little Golden Book has been in our home for as long as I can remember. It originally cost $.89 and was copyrighted in 1961. As a bunny hops along in the countryside, he encounters many other animals; a robin and her babies in the tree, a frog in the bog, a groundhog in a log but could not figure out where the perfect home for a bunny might be. Finally, he runs into another bunny and figures out the perfect home for a bunny. A darling little story with beautiful pictures!
Jaime Contreras
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is the first book I read to my eldest back in 1986. It was Christmas and I enjoyed spending time reading the tale of a bunny looking for a new home. My daughter loved the bunny drawings. I also got hooked on Ms. brown's books. I have read many throughout the years. I hope to read them to my grandchildren.
Robin
Have I read this book before today? Possibly since this is a Golden Book in an oversize format. This is such a wonderful story about a rabbit looking for a home. And the illustrations by Garth Williams are captivating. Although I tend to use a lot of newer books, this is an old favorite that I will offer during a storytime this summer, I think!
Rbettermann
A bunny comes down the road in the Spring and is looking for a home. He is looking under a rock, under a stone, or under the ground. Robin and frog and even the groundhog helps bunny to find a home. I would use this picture book for grades k - 2. I would read to my students as a read aloud and talk about the different animals that are presented in the story.
Modboy
Simply put bunny is looking for his home. He asks the other animals where they live, always places unsuitable for a bunny. That is until he meets another bunny.

Williams' art is pleasant and MW Brown's story is sweet but I could not get into the rhythm of the text. The rhymes don't always match up and they're often missing when you expect one although children probably won't mind.
Alisha Brook
Title: Home for a Bunny
Series: Little Golden Book
Author: Margaret Wise Brown
Genre: Children's
Rating: 3 stars

A great childhood book.
Follow the journey of the bunny finding a home. It's a beautiful tale, beautifully complimented with illustrations. A great addition to the Little Golden Books collection.
SeriouslyJerome
You just can't go wrong with a Margaret Wise Brown book. Garth Williams illustrations make it even better.

The excitement built as Pippa anticipated the results of a bunny asking various animals if he could join them in their homes, in the hope of finding his very own. I think Pippa was disappointed when he finally did...
Peggy
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read this one often. It's sweet and simple. Bunny looks for a home and asks the other animals around where their homes are. Eventually he lives in a hole under a rock with another bunny friend. The artwork is the best part, at the end of the book, the bunnies' home looks so cozy you want to crawl in with them.
T Crockett
The illustrations are great. I love the face on the baby robins and that skunk cabbage (a sign of spring here in New England) is part of the landscape.

The woodland critters that the bunny meets aren't especially nice or interesting. It's one of those super repetitive books for little ones. I'd say the target age is around 2 yrs old.
Schmobes
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good level 2 book. Lots of repitition of words. But a cute story, and the illustrations by Garth Williams are fabulous. I like having Kiddo read what he considers "real" books, books I would read to Kutey--it gives him confidence.
Jane
Home for a Bunny is a beautiful children's book about a little bunny looking for a home. The illustrations are soft, colorful and delightful for children to picture the story as it is read to them.
Sarah Johnson
I was surprised by how much the toddlers really liked this book when I read it to them in story time this week. Warning... the second or third page talks about how a bunny can't live under water because it will drown. Not that big of a deal, but some people care about that kind of stuff.
Beth
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This has been my favorite book since I was a child. Both my grandmother read it to me constantly, and it was one of the first books I read by myself (The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss was the first). The story is so sweet and cute.
Robin
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A family favorite from Margaret Wise Brown. Eye pleasing illustrations and poetic narrative carry this story along and entrance toddlers and preschoolers alike. Lyrical language makes it a fun read for both the young and old.
Shyla
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly the first book I ever remember. I still own my childhood copy, the cover has been halway ripped off and the pages are dog eared but I will never part from it. I lvoe the end when Bunny finally finds a home of his own.
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • The Bunny Book
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (a Little Golden Book)
  • My First Counting Book
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • Prayers for Children (Little Golden Book)
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • The Poky Little Puppy's First Christmas
  • On the Moon
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • Wombat Divine
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...