Start by marking “Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)

Seduction & Scandal

(The Brethren Guardians #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  1,441 Ratings  ·  205 Reviews
With the scandalous nature of her birth to live down, Isabella Fairmont dreams of a proper marriage, even if a passionless one. She saves her deepest desires for the novel she dares to pen, wherein a handsome lord with dark powers seduces her. But then her courtship with an appropriate suitor is threatened by the sudden attentions of the reclusive Earl of Black, whose pale ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 21st 2011 by HQN Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Seduction & Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seduction & Scandal

Shawna
5+ stars – Victorian Historical Romance

Charlotte Featherstone’s Addicted and Sinful are two of my favorite historical romances, so I was thrilled when I heard she was coming out with a new Victorian historical romance series from HQN Books. I was very fortunate to receive an early copy of the first book in The Brethren Guardians, Seduction & Scandal, from NetGalley, and it far surpassed my high expectations.

Charlotte Featherstone's writing has a unique, lyrical quality and such beautiful, re
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
There’s just something about Charlotte Featherstone’s writing that sweeps me away into another time and place, and I don’t feel like I’m merely reading a story, but living a dream!
The first time I met Death, it was at a ball and we danced a waltz, and I feared him, feared the things he made me feel, made me want. That night I ran from him, but Death was right behind me, chasing me and I wanted him to catch me.
Isabella Fairmont is a young woman who has known hunger, pain and scandal. The illegi
Juliana Philippa
A gothic romance worth reading, but was definitely uneven for me (3.5 stars)

So I know I'm the odd-woman-out on this one, but while some aspects of this book were really superb, I had several issues that stopped it from being stellar for me. This is my first Charlotte Featherstone book, though I've been wanting to read her book Sinful for awhile, and I definitely think she's a talented author and one I will seek out in the future.

Praise
The hero and heroine were wonderful as individuals and toge
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
I think I misunderstood the tags on genre for this book because I was expecting a paranormal historical romance novel. It was not. It's a historical romance with some artifacts that may have a paranormal-ness to them. There's a hint of possible otherness influence from the artifact, but it's not a fact in the book. That was disappointing as I thought the characters would be paranormal. They're regular humans.

Isabella is a former commoner now living with her aristocratic uncle and cousin. She's
Rane
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian-era, keeper
I adore how Charlotte's Featherstone seems to weave a dark and seductive web with her almost poet writing, with her characters that are heartbreaking real in their love and passion that ignites between them- molds them, changes them, heals them.
CF starts off with a almost dark velvet web that binds the reader in the first of The Brethren Guardians series Seduction & Scandal.

Isabella Fairmont is a dreamer, whom writes her most fondest and darkest desires into a book, keeping herself sepa
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
3.5 stars out of 5

I sometimes think I'm not sophisticated enough for a Charlotte Featherstone novel. I know her writing is supposedly like poetry, full of sensuality, magical (I almost wrote magically delicious- Lucky Charms anyone?), and all that other touchy feely stuff. However, I prefer more of the direct approach with my words and my actions. If you like me, come tell me, if you want some, come ask. Nuff said!

Being in the head of a Featherstone character is like drowning on angst, misery, l
Emily May
"THE FIRST TIME I MET DEATH, IT WAS AT A BALL AND WE DANCED A WALTZ..."

Well, with an opening line as intriguing as that I found my already high expectations sky-rocketing. I admit that I don't usually read historical romances as I tend to be rather against the patronisation of women and the whole death-by-corset thing they had going on back then. This, however, had excellent ratings by the few lucky enough to get an ARC copy and also that title speaks to me - I cannot resist a bit of scandal (or
Sammy Loves Books
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Junkies
3.5 Not So Scandalous Stars

Isabella's mother was a passionate woman. A rake seduced her into being his mistress.

kissing

Scandal ruined her reputation and she was forced to move away from society. Once he'd had his fill of her, she was cast aside and left to became a whore. Trading sex for money in order to survive.

After Isabella's mother passed, she moved to live with her uncle, the Marquis of Stonebrook. She has just been introduced to London society via her uncle and she has no intentions of making t
Dina
Loved it, loved it, loved it!

Review to come later...

Death has never looked so tempting...
Photobucket

Note: I received this eARC from Harlequin via NetGalley. That had no influence on my review/rating.
Baba
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
Lord Black said to Isabella:
"Say it, whisper it, let me hear my name on your lips, let me feel your lips against my skin as you say it."

3.5 stars. I rounded up to 4 stars since the prose is beautiful and there's one magical word: sensuality.

Where do I start? Some aspects of Seduction & Scandal were wonderful. Then again, I had a few issues that prevented it from being exceptional.

The dark and secretive hero, Lord Black (Jude Sheldon), was gorgeous, very sensual, and utterly delicious. While
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Nov 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one - seriously!
Recommended to Anzu by: my evil twin sister
WARNING: If you’re actually into this genre and want a serious review avoid this. There be demons ahead!

You may think I’ve lost my mind for reading this but there’s a reasonable explanation for it. I’m in the mood to make fun of something. My friend Aly, who’s a huge fan of historical romance novels, couldn’t finish this. So of course I did the obvious thing.

No, I didn’t kill it with fire you silly monkeys. I got the book and set out to read it just to make fun of it. You know, make the routine
Holly
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
PHENOMENAL STORY TELLING!!!

Seduction & Scandal is the first book in the Brethren Guardian Series, and if it's any indication as to what is to come I simply can't wait!! Now, the fact that the author is a dear friend in no way affects the fact that I think her writing is simply magical! It just is!! I loved this story and the concept so much, I am going to attempt a brief review, I know I won't be doing this story justice though, just please, check it out for yourself!!

Isabella Fairmont is a
Milica's Bookshelf
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 zvezdice. (poslednjih 50ak stranica je ovoj knjizi donelo 4 zvezdice jer ostatak sam jedva pročitala, pa da nije završnice koja me ostavila sa gomilom pitanja i ludom željom da saznam ostatak, ova knjiga bi dobila dve zvezdice.)

May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Not only was “Seduction & Scandal” my first Charlotte Featherstone read, it was also my very first historical romance read as well. I went into reading this not really knowing what to expect as I’ve always been apprehensive about the genre. Needless to say, the first page grabbed me, held me, consumed me, until I just had to sit down and read it in its entirety; until two in the morning. When it was over, I was heartbroken because I didn’t have the next one to pick up and start reading. I ha ...more
Ruth
My thoughts about this one are quite mixed. It’s the first Charlotte Featherstone I’ve read, and there were some things I enjoyed and others that just felt they weren’t as good as they could have been.

I received it through netgalley.

Things I liked:-

- The theme of the series is really a nice mixture of the mythical, romantic and historical. I think this is what actually made me read on and finish the book - I just wanted to know what happened. It also left me really wanting to read the other two
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
2.5 stars....disappointed stars :/ Because this book really could have scored more than 2.

I just cant decide....did i kinna like this one...or did i NOT... :/

description

seriously i just have Nooo idea...this book seems to have as many - points, as its + .... :P

one min im lovin it and the next im like ...."WHAT THE HELL YOU TWO,CAN U JUST STOP HAVIN SEX THERE FOR A MINUTE ! PEOPLE ARE DYING OUT HERE ! ".Lol...seriously the sex scenes were just that badly timed...

Honestly im not a prude, but come one even i
Jess the Romanceaholic
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Gothic Romance
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release: Date: June 28, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: HQN
Author’s Website: http://www.charlottefeatherstone.net/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, The Brethren Guardians
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Hot

As of this moment, I’ve spent about two hours writing and re-writing this review. Why, do you ask? For the simple reason that nothing I say seems to accurately descr
Kristen
4 to 4 1/2 stars

Right from the start Seduction & Scandal swept me away into a world full of mystique, yearning, secrets, and mystery. The prose felt gothic, ethereal, and lyrical. It was a treat to immerse myself in the sensual and provocative words.

I was captivated, intrigued, and loved the hero of this book, Jude Sheldon, the Earl of Black. Lord Black is a dark, mysterious, and fascinating character. His devotion, desperation, and desire for the book's heroine, Isabella Fairmont, was at t
Sarah Mac
Given my track record in category historical romances, some might wonder why I keep panning for gold amongst the muck. The answer, my friends, is either sheer stupidity or eternal optimism -- I haven't decided which, but my ego would prefer the latter.

Despite the ill-famed DNF tag, let me start by mentioning what I liked. From a technical standpoint, the writing was fine -- it didn't make me wince, gag, or punch the wall. I daresay some scenes were prettily written. I enjoyed the interwoven pas
Alycia
I loved this first Gothic inspired tale (historical romance) from Ms. Featherstone. The first in the Brethren Guardians Trilogy.

Isabella Fairmont wants nothing more than a staid and albeit safe life. Mostly due to her mother's heartbreak and fall, Isabella does not desire passion. She hides behind her notions of what is right, but expresses herself by penning a hauntingly beautiful and passionate story about a woman being seduced and ultimately loved by Death.

Lord Black, a mysterious and reclus
Riverina Romantics
4.5 Stars

Seduction & Scandal is a captivating adventure filled with passion, intrigue and a touch of paranormal magic.

From the moment I started reading to the very last word the one thing that was constantly going through my mind was -Charlotte Featherstone is utterly flawless in the way she portrays history. Every description, every spoken word, ever reference is perfection.

The Earl of Black is a completely drool worthy hero, he’s sexy, he’s masculine and he is completely devoted to winning
MBR
Seduction and Scandal by Charlotte Featherstone is a novel that seems to have received its fair share of raving reviews prior to its release date which is set for the 28th of this month. The first book in The Brethen Guardian series, Featherstone introduces the reader into a world steeped in mystcism, religion, red-hot passion and love that is bound to make for an interesting and engrossing tale.

Seduction and Scandal introduces us to the three guardians whose life and the life of their sons are
Pamela(AllHoney)
Seduction & Scandal is the first in The Brethren Guardians series by Charlotte Featherstone. Isabella Fairmont is the niece of the Marquis of Stonebrook, who has taken her in when her mother and grandmother die. Now having the things she often longed for as a child, Isabella feels that one day her past will catch up with her and it will all be taken away. The Earl of Black is a man of mystery with many secrets. Secrets that must be guarded. But he can't deny the feelings he has for the lovel ...more
Mishelle LaBrash
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mystery, Drama, Romance and SEX.... Hot, angsty sex.

Can't ask for anything more. To be honest this is the first Featherstone book that I really enjoyed.

Although, I didn't NOT like her other novels, they just seemed lacking something for me. This was the first Featherstone I felt connected to.

It was paranormal without screaming it out loud.

Overall, an enjoyable getaway.

Happy Reading
Cyn Mistress Kitty
WOW, Loved, loved, loved this book but of course I knew I would since it was written by one of my favorite authors.

Lord Black was so sexy and mysterious and intense he just made the story sizzle. And the way he and Isabella interacted all I can say is WHEW!!

I can't wait to read the other books in this series.

Well done Ms Featherstone, well done.
Lisa
Sigh, what a good book. The writing was just excellent and beautiful! Isabella Fairmont has had a scandalous upbringing due to her mothers many liaisons and it has made Isabella realize she needs a stable marriage, even if it is passionless. She has been writing a story about a handsome man with silver blue eyes named Death and that is where she pours her passion out. When she attends a ball one night with her cousin, Lady Lucy with whom she is living with now as her mother has passed away, she ...more
Mrs. Badass
Took me SIX days to finish this novel when usually I can read a book in a few hours. There is nothing wrong with this book.

3.5/5

This is a well written novel. There are no glaring errors or things of that ilk. The characters were well written. They each had their own personalities and eccentricities. I actually liked all the characters themselves. For me though, this novel was rather slow. I was also a bit confused.

Our heroine wants to be a "Lady Novelist" So she is writing her own story, and t
Lady Heather
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical romance/erotica, mystery, charlotte featherstone
I LOVED (Jude) Lord Black, and the how his family and two other survivors of the Knights Templar had to protect the three treasures...but I had a hard time connecting with Isabelle. One minute she was a tough, sassy young women from Yorkshire.. the next... the biggest whinger (hate that in a a heroine).

I will read the next book because I did like Lord Sussex & Lucy, and I want to find out who Orpheus is.
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Having read and loved Addicted by Charlotte Featherstone, I couldn't wait to read the first book in her Brethren Guardians series, SEDUCTION & SCANDAL. Full of passion, suspense, mystery and intrigue, it promised to be a compelling read.

Following the death of her grandmother and her mother, Isabella Fairmount went to live with her uncle, the Marquis of Stonebrook and her cousin, Lucy. Isabella's mother had let her passionate nature rule her life, leaving her ruined, alone and destitute with
Janet Robel
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG! Loved it from start to finish! You just get hooked right in. I also love the story Isabella is writing. This is definitely one for my keeper shelf and I'm hoping I have the second one.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 11, 2015 01:25PM
  • Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4)
  • Forever and a Day (The Rumor, #1)
  • The Taming of the Rake (Blackthorn Brothers, #1)
  • Heiress in Love (Ministry of Marriage, #1)
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To #2)
  • Anchor and Storm
  • Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Unclaimed (Turner, #2)
  • By His Majesty's Grace (The Three Graces, #1)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • Soldier of Fortune (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #2 )
  • Her Ladyship's Companion
  • Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • It's Always Been You (York Family, #2)
Hi I write erotic historical romance for Harlequin Spice, as well as erotic paranormal romance under the name Sophie Renwick. In 2011, I'll be debuting my mainstream, Victorian set historicals through HQN.

I love talking about books, and have found some new friends, and really good book recommends here on Goodreads. I really love this community.

The Brethren Guardians (3 books)
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • Temptation  & Twilight (The Brethren Guardians, #3)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
  • The Boy I Hate
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Every Little Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay (Mischief Bay, #1)
  • Happy All the Time
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Cut (The Bourbon Kings, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
“It is not your time, love. You will not die tonight.

All this time she thought herself in love with the notion of Death. His gallantry, his beautiful soul. She believed he loved her because he had spared her from his grip. But it had not been Death, but Black.

“Why?” she asked, and her body shook, knowing his sacrifice, knowing he knew her most guarded secret.

“Because I loved you,” he murmured. “I couldn’t let you go, because I knew I could no longer see you, I couldn’t live, either.”

Black had risked his life to save her from taking her own.

He rose, helped her up and clutched her in his arms. “It is too soon for you to make your decision,” he said. “Come to me when you know what you want. My wishes will remain unchanged.”

“What do you want?”

He kissed her, pressed her body into his hot, hard one. “To be inside you. To lay you out and touch you with my hands, my mouth and tongue. I want to slip deep inside you and never leave. I want to wake up in the morning and open my eyes to find you lying there next to me. I want to look at my children and see you in their little faces.”

“Jude,” she whispered, holding him, weakening.

“But I want you to want that as much as I do, Isabella.”

“We have too many secrets,” she began. “Our pasts…”

“Secrets, like passion, are meant to be spent. I will bear all my sins, all my secrets, when you come to me. It’s all I can offer. You see, little love, I’m afraid, too, but the difference between us is that I believe it’s worth it to face that fear if it means that I’ll have you.”
9 likes