Start by marking “The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie” as Want to Read:
The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie

The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie

(The Boys Collected Volumes #8)

Out of Dynamite Entertainment's critically acclaimed title, The Boys, comes a special story featuring everyone's favorite pint-sized Scotsman, Hughie, with The Boys: Highland Laddie, written by Garth Ennis, with covers by Darick Robertson and art by
Published April 19th 2011 by Dynamite Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about The Boys, Volume 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys, Volume 8

Start your review of The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie
Anne
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hughie goes home to Scotland to see family and friends.

description

Turns out he's just a whiny cunt.

description

Ok, best thing about this one is finding out Annie's backstory. But I have to admit, the entire time she's trying to talk Hugie into taking her back, I'm just gritting teeth. It's obnoxious and he doesn't deserve her. <--which I'm pretty sure is exactly how Ennis wanted me to feel by the end of this comic.
I understand why a lot of people hate this one, but I still thought it had quite a bit of merit in the o
mark monday
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comicon
Wee Hughie finds out his girlfriend has a past of her own and his friends all knew about it and he's the last one to know as usual, so he goes home to Scotland to have a good ole pout.

photo RT sulk_zpsoaosuse2.jpg

Ennis perfectly illustrates how many people in their late 20s-mid 30s feel about going home again, i.e. you can't go home again. it's not like home is bad or your old friends are terrible or the family is embarrassing. it's the slipping into old roles, back into the role of child, back with the old friends and
Daniel Clausen
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2019
Not only a great continuation of "The Boys" saga, but also a surprisingly poignant look at the concepts of home, morality, childhood, guilt, and forgiveness. Indeed, there are many things we can learn from the adventures and misadventures of Wee Hughie.
Sam Quixote
Jul 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
I don't know how he's done it but Garth Ennis has turned one of the most promising series of recent years into an uninspired, meandering, dull mess. When the series started I knew Wee Hughie was going to be the character the readers were supposed to see the series through but to be honest he isn't interesting enough to warrant his own book, and "Highland Laddie" is evidence of this.

One of the side stories to the series has been Hughie's relationship with a supe in the foremost supe team and nei
Gavin
Dec 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
To quote Wee Hughie: "I Ken sez tis shite".

This is a diversion from the Boys into a Hughie backstory/sidestory.

It could have been interesting; instead it was a meandering, boring, impossible to understand (literally, the dialogue is stupid, and I grew up with a Scottish Great Gran and neighbours, but I could barely figure some things out).

Throw in 5 issues of Hughie whining about EVERYTHING and I just wanted to bitch slap him like the boring piece of shit he acts like in this.

He visits friends a
Stewart Tame
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The pace slows down a bit with this volume, but that's fine as Hughie (and I) needed a break after volume 7. He returns to Scotland to see his family and friends and generally get his head together. We also meet someone who is probably going to be important in upcoming volumes. Not as much action in this one, but there are some fine character moments. This series continues to impress.
Britton
Ennis got his start in the mid to late 90s, establishing a reputation as an extremist in the comics community alongside Warren Ellis, though Ennis would become the Grant Morrison to Ellis' Alan Moore, with Ennis sometimes going to extremes without letting his story threads come together in a natural way. Does that mean Ennis is a bad writer? Of course not. He wouldn't be a favorite of mine if that were the case. While The Boys doesn't entirely reach the heights of some of Ennis' finer outings li ...more
Jesse A
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
A fairly dull diversion with Hughie.
Oron
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, 2017, digital, comics
A kinda-boring sidestory. The interesting parts could be concentrated in a single issue, diffinitely not a 6-part story. Oh well, let's get on with it.
Dimitris Papastergiou
It was nice! I liked it.

It definitely continues the story ( of Hughie ) and it adds up on the situation. Nice artwork, interesting plot.

Jason
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
After the events of the "Believe" storyline, Wee Hughie goes back to his small Scottish hometown to visit his family and sort some things out. We meet Hughie's kind but overbearing adoptive parents and some of his childhood friends. While it's nice to see Hughie's childhood home and meet some of his pals, this story meanders a bit too much and probably could have been a 2-3 issue arc in the main Boys series rather than its own spin-off book.

Things don't really pick up until (view spoiler)
Mike
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creator-owned
I find it fascinating how Ennis can take some seemingly mundane, everyday situations and infuse them with such energy, bizarre and vivid storytelling. The characters are so real and fleshed out, just by virtue of the detailed stories they tell each other, and they're like people I instantly know (and at the same time have many secrets and layers yet to reveal).

Then Ennis adds to the mix a few details of weird, hard, mean people/situations and just let's them slowly find their way to our main cha
Luana
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dear lord am I happy Ennis redeems himself in this one by explicitly and emphatically condemning Hughie's misogyny in the last volume as a character flaw to be excoriated by the very woman who was on the receiving end of it, reducing the poorly conceived Simon Pegg lookalike to a mess of tears, rather than the righteous anger of a Nice, Regular Guy In The Face Of Foul Decadence.

While perhaps a diversion from the main superhero plot, small town Scotland and its simple-minded denizens are pretty c
Albert Yates
Probably one of my favourite books in the series so far. We get to spend a great deal of time learning more about Hughie and what made him the man he is today. were introduced to two of his childhood friends, one is transitioning and the other has a nasty smell and wears a gas mask all the time.

on the outskirts of town is a little cove called smugglers cove a fitting name for some drug runners to be bringing a product into the country. this is the same location where Hughie and his friends stop
Jim Gorman
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Chris Everson
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first full five stars for this series!

Hughie returns to Scotland and the bosom of his family after the closing events of the last volume.

He reconnects with his friends and you get an insight into his past. His parents are LOVELY! You really do hope nothing horrible happens to them, but this being The Boys... you're never sure. His friends are an odd bunch, including a massive transvestite and a guy who smells so bad, he needs to wear a gas mask. Hughie also makes a friend in an elderly gent
D'Iberville Library
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This installment of The Boys is not as action packed as previous ones. Hughie has gone home to figure things out after such a trying time during the previous book. He is trying to figure out what he is doing with his life and where he is going to go from here. There are flashbacks, but not enough to be confusing. Mainly, you get to see his childhood friends, both are quite unusual, and finally meet his parents - his adoptive parents. So, this is mainly a very good look into Hughie's past while h ...more
Jamie Connolly
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one was actually not as ridiculous as it usually is but had a lot of stuff to relate too. Really well done if you don't get hung up on the manner of speaking and absurd humor. 5 stars.
Philip
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, e-book, 2020
This is the volume that makes it clear that one of the themes in this series is toxic masculinity.
Zec
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Another mixed bag. I prefer Darick Robertson’s art to John McCrea’s. Garth Ennis writes Hughie and Annie pretty well but there needs to be violence or this isn’t The Boys so there’s a poorly written drug bust side-plot. I enjoyed this as a break from the usual offerings of this comic and some solid character moments. The overarching plot of The Boys obviously stalls for this story to happen but as breaks go this was a decent one.
Michael Cairns
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-mature
Garth Ennis has been one of my favourite comic authors for some time now.
I say that up front in case you think I'm biased in my writing of this review.
The Boys is the best thing he's ever created. It's disgusting, crude, completely over the top and fabulously funny. It's also an original take on the question of what morally ambiguous people might do if bestowed with super powers. And what the government would really do if they cracked the secret to the super soldier serum.
In this eighth volum
Zedsdead
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Series nadir. Getting through this volume was a slog.

Plot points:
(view spoiler)
Filipe
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I particularly enjoyed this volume. I know it's not a crucial part of the story, being a side-story of the main series, but I really liked it.
We get to see a little bit more of Hughie's Scottish background, his hometown in Scotland, his childhood friends, his family. We also get to see some of his personal struggles. A really good storyline.
The artwork was jaw dropping. The Scottish landscape is amazing and we really get a feel of being there.
Jennifer Juffer
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this issue.
It was a nice little break from the Boys and the Supes.
Getting to know Hugie and where he came from, I thought, helped the storyline overall.
Bringing new characters into the mix made it funny and sad at the same time.
As usual, just the right amount of humor and empathy.
Steven Stennett
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A departure to the normal Boys stuff, but I understand the writers need to do something different, it works within the whole context of the story, so no foul!
Peter Derk
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Apparently going home to Scotland ain't that much different from going home in smalltown America. Except people use the C-word more.
Bill Coffin
Oct 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
The Boys is an unflinchingly graphic, 12-volume descent into sexual violence, exploding bodies, depravity, broken taboos and bodily fluids that purports to deconstruct the superhero genre with a chaser of black humor. All it really accomplishes, however, is a whole lot of sophomoric commentary on power and politics, stretches of exposition that last for entire issues at a time, unpleasant and inconsistent artwork, and a certain hypocrisy from a creative team which seems to revel in depicting all ...more
Myk Pilgrim
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm writing (and posting) this review across the whole series of The Boys comics because I've experienced the series as a whole. Some volumes may have been better than others, but that's no different from chapters in a novel. The story ends, all the loose threads get tied up.
Some of the side plots are worth the pay-off, others not so much.

Overall the characters are well-rounded, but the focus of the books isn't really them. What the story is, is a vicious no holds barred commentary on not just t
Adam Stone
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: superhero-comics
While my biggest problems with parts of The Boys series is its over-the-top, unnecessary schlock, this book suffers from being a dull waste of time.

Hughie's origin story, that he and his friends were a cut-rate Hardy Boys who all grew up to be unusual adults doesn't add anything to the story at large. It isn't until Starlight shows up, and they spend two issues hashing out their problems in a way that doesn't warrant more than three or four pages, that this series seems to have any purpose other
Michael Hitchcock

• Incognito
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 8
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 9
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 3: Hotel Oblivion
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more

The Boys Collected Volumes (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game