Start by marking “The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie” as Want to Read:
The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie

The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie

(The Boys Collected Editions #8)

Out of Dynamite Entertainment's critically acclaimed title, The Boys, comes a special story featuring everyone's favorite pint-sized Scotsman, Hughie, with The Boys: Highland Laddie, written by Garth Ennis, with covers by Darick Robertson and art by Herogasm artist John McCrea. Mind reeling from recent events in The Boys, Wee Hughie heads home to Auchterladle - the semi-id ...more
Published April 19th 2011 by Dynamite Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about The Boys, Volume 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys, Volume 8

mark monday
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comicon
Wee Hughie finds out his girlfriend has a past of her own and his friends all knew about it and he's the last one to know as usual, so he goes home to Scotland to have a good ole pout.

photo RT sulk_zpsoaosuse2.jpg

Ennis perfectly illustrates how many people in their late 20s-mid 30s feel about going home again, i.e. you can't go home again. it's not like home is bad or your old friends are terrible or the family is embarrassing. it's the slipping into old roles, back into the role of child, back with the old friends and the
Stewart Tame
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The pace slows down a bit with this volume, but that's fine as Hughie (and I) needed a break after volume 7. He returns to Scotland to see his family and friends and generally get his head together. We also meet someone who is probably going to be important in upcoming volumes. Not as much action in this one, but there are some fine character moments. This series continues to impress.
Gavin
Dec 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
To quote Wee Hughie: "I Ken sez tis shite".

This is a diversion from the Boys into a Hughie backstory/sidestory.

It could have been interesting; instead it was a meandering, boring, impossible to understand (literally, the dialogue is stupid, and I grew up with a Scottish Great Gran and neighbours, but I could barely figure some things out).

Throw in 5 issues of Hughie whining about EVERYTHING and I just wanted to bitch slap him like the boring piece of shit he acts like in this.

He visits friends a
Sam Quixote
Jul 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
I don't know how he's done it but Garth Ennis has turned one of the most promising series of recent years into an uninspired, meandering, dull mess. When the series started I knew Wee Hughie was going to be the character the readers were supposed to see the series through but to be honest he isn't interesting enough to warrant his own book, and "Highland Laddie" is evidence of this.

One of the side stories to the series has been Hughie's relationship with a supe in the foremost supe team and nei
Chris Greensmith
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-boys
"Det an' Bobby'd never treat me like this, I should just fuck off an' be wi' my real mates. I should go home. What am I doin' here, anyway, really...?"
Initially I thought this was going to break up the flow of the main arc, just as it was getting started, and it did, but I enjoyed it. It gave an origin to Hughie and a mini origin for Annie. The characters were a little too outlandish, the should have toned it down a bit for this, it just felt like the same shit was going on in Scotland as NY.
Jesse A
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
A fairly dull diversion with Hughie.
D'Iberville Library
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This installment of The Boys is not as action packed as previous ones. Hughie has gone home to figure things out after such a trying time during the previous book. He is trying to figure out what he is doing with his life and where he is going to go from here. There are flashbacks, but not enough to be confusing. Mainly, you get to see his childhood friends, both are quite unusual, and finally meet his parents - his adoptive parents. So, this is mainly a very good look into Hughie's past while h ...more
Oron
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, comics, owned, digital
A kinda-boring sidestory. The interesting parts could be concentrated in a single issue, diffinitely not a 6-part story. Oh well, let's get on with it.
Luana
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dear lord am I happy Ennis redeems himself in this one by explicitly and emphatically condemning Hughie's misogyny in the last volume as a character flaw to be excoriated by the very woman who was on the receiving end of it, reducing the poorly conceived Simon Pegg lookalike to a mess of tears, rather than the righteous anger of a Nice, Regular Guy In The Face Of Foul Decadence.

While perhaps a diversion from the main superhero plot, small town Scotland and its simple-minded denizens are pretty c
Michael Cairns
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-mature
Garth Ennis has been one of my favourite comic authors for some time now.
I say that up front in case you think I'm biased in my writing of this review.
The Boys is the best thing he's ever created. It's disgusting, crude, completely over the top and fabulously funny. It's also an original take on the question of what morally ambiguous people might do if bestowed with super powers. And what the government would really do if they cracked the secret to the super soldier serum.
In this eighth volum
Mike
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creator-owned
I find it fascinating how Ennis can take some seemingly mundane, everyday situations and infuse them with such energy, bizarre and vivid storytelling. The characters are so real and fleshed out, just by virtue of the detailed stories they tell each other, and they're like people I instantly know (and at the same time have many secrets and layers yet to reveal).

Then Ennis adds to the mix a few details of weird, hard, mean people/situations and just let's them slowly find their way to our main cha
Albert Yates
Probably one of my favourite books in the series so far. We get to spend a great deal of time learning more about Hughie and what made him the man he is today. were introduced to two of his childhood friends, one is transitioning and the other has a nasty smell and wears a gas mask all the time.

on the outskirts of town is a little cove called smugglers cove a fitting name for some drug runners to be bringing a product into the country. this is the same location where Hughie and his friends stop
Filipe
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I particularly enjoyed this volume. I know it's not a crucial part of the story, being a side-story of the main series, but I really liked it.
We get to see a little bit more of Hughie's Scottish background, his hometown in Scotland, his childhood friends, his family. We also get to see some of his personal struggles. A really good storyline.
The artwork was jaw dropping. The Scottish landscape is amazing and we really get a feel of being there.
Jim Gorman
Tundextra
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: darkfantasy
What do you do when...
- you find out your girlfriend has superpowers
- you see a video of her performing fellatio on 3 members to get into the top super hero team The Seven!
.. you run home of course.
Although a bit to padded out, an intelligent, thought provoking, and as ever darkly comedic look at an urbanite returning to his home town and re-visiting the past. what becomes a great character study and a harsh look at the hypocritical way treat people according to gender. But the main thrust i
Nick Scott
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This volume focuses on Hughie as he returns home to Scotland to see his parents and sort himself out. I enjoyed seeing his friends and family from childhood, but I feel like his back and forth over his time with The Boys and his feelings about Annie is getting a little tiresome. I'm ready to see him make a decision and move forward. There's some stuff in here about drugs being trafficked through the town, but it felt more of a "well we needed to have some kind of action is this arc" then anythin ...more
Max Daugherty
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t understand how this one got so many negative reviews. While it isn’t as fast paced as the previous ones, the development and background story of Hughie is great. I mean, he’s essentially the main character of this whole series so why not take a trip through his background, and even with it being his background story mainly, it still develops the story in some possibly very big ways. With the intensity of the last volume, I think it was necessary for it to take the direction it did. And t ...more
Zec
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Another mixed bag. I prefer Darick Robertson’s art to John McCrea’s. Garth Ennis writes Hughie and Annie pretty well but there needs to be violence or this isn’t The Boys so there’s a poorly written drug bust side-plot. I enjoyed this as a break from the usual offerings of this comic and some solid character moments. The overarching plot of The Boys obviously stalls for this story to happen but as breaks go this was a decent one.
Jennifer Juffer
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really enjoyed this issue.
It was a nice little break from the Boys and the Supes.
Getting to know Hugie and where he came from, I thought, helped the storyline overall.
Bringing new characters into the mix made it funny and sad at the same time.
As usual, just the right amount of humor and empathy.
Heleen
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Hugghie's a bit of a wanker in this one.
Tim
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Hughie heads home for some R&R and soul searching. Fun story and the artwork is good but done by someone else, which means it struggles to capture the expression the way that earlier volumes do.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Good volume.
James Irvine
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great series and looking forward to see how the TV series ties in.
Tricia
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
eh, thought this one was okay, could probably have skipped it....
Alex Gruenenfelder
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dark, depressing, and excellent.
Jenny
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Good to get background on Hughie, move the Hughie/Annie relationship issue around, but I look forward to getting back to the main stories in the next volume (hopefully)...
Peter Derk
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Apparently going home to Scotland ain't that much different from going home in smalltown America. Except people use the C-word more.
Chris
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cool story with Hughie going back home for a visit to get himself sorted out. As an expat myself, this story really resonated with me.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Northlanders, Vol. 3: Blood in the Snow
  • The Goon, Volume 10: Death's Greedy Comeuppance
  • Global Frequency
  • Echo: Black Hole (Echo, #5)
  • Fatale: Deluxe Edition, Volume Two
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 3
  • Crossed: Wish You Were Here, Volume 1
  • Crossed, Vol. 5
  • Midnight Nation
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more

The Boys Collected Editions (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game
  • The Boys, Volume 9: The Big Ride
  • The Boys, Volume 10: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
  • The Boys, Volume 11: Over the Hills with the Swords of a Thousand Men
“Fuck, that's good. That's habit-formin'.” 0 likes
“You don't have in IN you to be like that, Hughie.
You had too nice an upbringing.
Your mom and dad were too good to you.
And I wish you could see that you're not less of a MAN, or some sort of inferior person, just because you can't be harsh and hard and cold.”
0 likes