Start by marking “Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty” as Want to Read:
Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty

Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
From Justice Department officials seizing people's homes based on mere rumors to the IRS and its master plan to prohibit the nation's self-employed from working for themselves to the perpetrators of the Waco siege, government officials are tearing the Bill of Rights to pieces. Today's citizen is now more likely than ever to violate some unknown law or regulation and be pla ...more
Published September 15th 1995 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Rights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Rights

Jim
Sep 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I haven't finished the book. It's good, but I can't read too much of it or I get upset & feel helpless about all that has happened.
Gina M Jordan
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was the hardest reading because it taps that well of inner rage, adds to a feeling of helplessness; yet it should be recommended reading for every citizen, perhaps in school.

If it were rewritten now, with the further erosion of rights since Bush, it might induce strokes. Now what we need is the solutions. I'd certainly love the chance to see a Libertarian government see if they can do better than the Laurel & Hardy show we're subjected to by our supposed representatives!
Bill Gunn
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Still reading, Too many facts concentrated in a small space (my head)! Seriously, the data presented by the author is completely thought out, documented and overwhelming; a great sleep aid.
Bill
columbialion
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
A libertarian examination of the incursion of government into American civil rights
Bill
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great viewpoints
Craig Bolton
Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty by James Bovard (1995)
Pamela Koonce
  • The New Dealers' War: F.D.R. and the War Within World War II
  • A Nation of Sheep
  • Right from the Beginning
  • Destructive Generation: Second Thoughts About the '60s
  • The Future and Its Enemies: The Growing Conflict Over Creativity, Enterprise, and Progress
  • Breaking the News: How the Media Undermine American Democracy
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • Fatherless America: Confronting Our Most Urgent Social Problem
  • The Price of Freedom: Political Philosophy from Thoreau's Journals
  • Through Our Enemies' Eyes: Osama bin Laden, Radical Islam, and the Future of America
  • Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline
  • How Would a Patriot Act? Defending American Values from a President Run Amok
  • Eat the Rich: A Treatise on Economics
  • A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State
  • The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong with America
  • More Liberty Means Less Government: Our Founders Knew This Well
  • Riders of the Pony Express
  • The Way Things Ought to Be
Is a libertarian author and lecturer whose political commentary targets examples of waste, failures, corruption, cronyism and abuses of power in government. He is the author of Attention Deficit Democracy, and eight other books. He has written for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, New Republic, Reader's Digest, The American Conservative, and many other publications. His boo ...more
More about James Bovard...
“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.” 736 likes