Start by marking “We All Sing with the Same Voice” as Want to Read:
We All Sing with the Same Voice

We All Sing with the Same Voice

A lyrical and joyful celebration of inclusion and respect

First featured as a song on the widely popular Sesame Street, the beloved educational childrens television show, We All Sing with the Same Voice is a joyous read-aloud that embraces the notion that no matter where children live or what they look like, theyre all the same where it countsat heart!

With colorful
Published December 26th 2000 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about We All Sing with the Same Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We All Sing with the Same Voice

Start your review of We All Sing with the Same Voice
Kelsey
Age: Toddler-Preschool
Culture: Various

Leave it to Sesame Street to provide a well written, inclusive song in 1982 (especially talking about 2 daddies *le gasp*). Sweet pictures accompany the words, making this perfect to read aloud. A classroom staple.
Judy
Great great children's book. Definitely one for every small persons library.
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A particularly timely book right now when it seems so easily to vilify people who aren't like us or who don't live here.

This book is best if you know the song from Sesame Street. It shows that no matter our differences, we have lots in common. (It comes with a CD, though, so if you don't know the song, please play it and sing along!)
Maggie Rappleyea
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: songs
This book is appropriate for Pre-K into 1st Grade.

This book features a song in Sesame Street, and it works well as a book with many colorful illustrations. It explores the fact that even if people are from different parts of the world, have different skin tones, or different family lives, they can all sing in harmony. It embraces diversity and acceptance.

I love this book and song. It teaches children to be aware of, but--more importantly--accepting of differences among people.

I would have the
The pictures are beautiful and the message is crucial and timely, but I found the text to be awkward and confusing, especially for the target audience: young children. For example, "My hair is black and red." and "My name is Jack and Fred." and "I come from Mecca and Peru." and "My name is you." It rhymes, but it just doesn't flow nicely and it requires explanation for kids to understand that it's trying to make the point that we are all the same as humans, despite our differences.

This would be
Maria Salgado
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book with a musical quality to it and great pictures to accompany it. This book talks about the similarities between people and how any of the descriptions could be used to talk about "you." This book would be great to talk about diversity, rhyming, or even about different places in the world.
Emily Snow
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was little, Sesame Street was one of the TV shows that impacted my speech development. I particularly remember this song being played on TV and the message it sends is so strong. The message tells of including others in the community. I loved the illustrations because it is culturally diverse which is what the author is promoting in the book. I think this book would be good for introducing community building/community circles in the younger grades.
Nancy Snyder
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A celebration of differences that included cultures, disabilities, and social. A colorfully illustrated book with a CD that includes song highlighted throughout the book. Sharing this story with young folks will bring the opportunity to talk about differences.
Tammie
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this song so much and as a book it has outstanding illustrations and rhyming flow. The message is powerful and important for young children. The book does require explanations - there are teachable lessons on these pages!
Heather McC
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A definite 5 star review for one of my favorite songs turned into a fun book that celebrates the diversity and beauty in us all. My preschoolers sang this song for music appreciation night years ago and were rewarded with a round of applause.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Toddler-Preschool
Leave it to Sesame Street to provide a well written, inclusive song in 1982. Sweet pictures accompany the words, making this perfect to read aloud. A classroom staple.

Reviewed by: Miss Kelsey, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Abby
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We love this book! Sesame Street has been woke before anyone else.
Elise
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book to showcase diversity to children. It has a cute little song to go with it. Great for younger children.
Christiana Freeman
Very simple words and great illustrations. Includes a few three worded rhyming words. Content: No matter of a person differences on the outside, we are alike on the inside.
Kelly Carey
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Rhyming text demonstrates differences and similarities between people. I especially liked the diversity in terms of characters and the representation of various people.
Kelsey Vayens
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This lyrical fiction book discusses the topics of multiculturalism and harmony. The authors, J. Philip Miller and Sheppard M. Greene, incorporate a song within this book. The song discusses that no matter where a child may live, what they look like, or what they do, they all are linked together through the heart and "sing with the same voice". The book discusses several topics that make each individual unique. (ex. "I live in southern France; I'm from a Texas ranch.", "I've got one daddy; I've ...more
Joshua Ezell
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A story about children from all over the world creating music using a common instrument; their voice. . The book celebrates and encourages diversity through bright, colorful pictures. The book not only includes pictures of children from different countries and of different nationalities but, it also includes pictures of children in wheelchairs who have handicaps or disabilities. This book does a good job of addressing ever aspect of race, gender, culture, and sexuality. It does a wonderful job ...more
Anna Frame
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction- I really like this book because it teaches kids about different parts of the world but also shows that everyone is similar. Children will love this book because its about kids from different places.

Purposes:
read aloud to kindergarten
-enrichment and enjoyment due to the illustrations and facts that are worked into the story
-also rhymes so it could possibly be viewed as simple poetry

Curriculum: read aloud
-discuss differences
-talk about how everyone is different but everyone has
Lauren Ivey
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is perfect to introduce children to different cultures and people! I love how the book really plays on the bond we all have together as humans. A beautiful story! There was a voice that existed in this book, but it was more singsongy. Because of that, there was no real beginning, middle, and end to the story. It was more of a description of different cultures that is relatable for younger audiences. I think this could be a fun activity to do with elementary school aged children and to ...more
CH_Kathleen
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mc-literature
This is a great book for young children. The pictures are colorful and bold and show many different ethnicity. The beginning of the book depicts different colors of eyes, hair, and skin then goes on to tell of many things that all cultures and backgrounds share. For example one of the pages reads, "I have sisters one two three. In my family there's just me. I've got one daddy. I've got two." The book is written in poetry verse so that it rhymes and has a stanza that is repeated "We all sing with ...more
Sanni (Book Lion)
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-n-kindness
The wonderful message this little gem bears is : I come from everywhere and my name is YOU!

We all sing with the same voice,
The same song,
The same voice.
We all sing with the same voice,
And we all sing in harmony.

We are all same indeed! Just read the following verses. Come on, I dare you! I dare you to read them.

And when it's time for bed,
I like my stories read,
"Sweet dreams" and "Love you" said.
My name is you.

Do you, just like me, want someone to tell you "Sweet dreams" and "Love you"? If so,
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Tales for Twos & Threes on 1/26/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 5/17/11:

Read at Tales for Fours and Fives on 6/9/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at After School Story Time on 1/12/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Circle Time on 7/24/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Brittany Dalziel
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction: I loved this book. The idea behind the book, that everyone is equal, is portrayed perfectly in this book. With showing a child in a wheelchair, to showing children of all ethnicities, races, and cultural backgrounds, the idea of the book and the illustrations as well are awesome.

Purpose:
-To be read aloud to children ages K - 2nd grade
-Purpose for enjoyment/enrichment
-Enjoyment portrayed through the fun song (the book is actually lyrics to a Sesame Street song)
-Enrichment
Toyin Dabiri
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Children are familiar with other culture, Children all over the world express their feelings in different ways. Children's skin, eyes, and hair are different because we all come from different parents and cultures. We sing with the same voice and we should live together as one big family. All children regardless of the culture want to be loved, cared for, read to, and they like to watch TV. Even though our colors are different, we are the same.

Learning extension: Teacher and children sit on the
Sherron Murphy
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural, music
This book is precious to my heart! The fourth day of this school year was 9-11-2011: a day and year of teaching that I will never forget. That year, I closed my kindergarten class with this book EVERYDAY. I thought WE would ALL get tired of it afterwhile, but it somehow never got old. :) We would sing it everyday as we transitioned to/from our closing meeting. It connected and celebrated us all! A great read, a great song...I highly recommend it!
Alexis
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This shows different children acknowledging their differences, but noticing how they also have similarities and "sing with the same voice".
I may read this aloud to students to encourage acceptance among them and their peers. There is also a video that turns it into a song, which could be fun for a class to learn.
Taina
Jun 29, 2014 added it
Shelves: social-justice
This is such a sweet and important book about being true to yourself and speaking/singing from the heart. An important lesson when introducing children to social justice and the differences and similarities between people.
Breana Vining
"We all sing the same voice, and we sing in harmony." This book is a great way to promote acceptance in each individual child. It has great illustrations and children will enjoy it from start to finish.
Priscilla
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book because it teaches children about different parts of the world and how everyone is similar in a way. I like this story because it rhymes and the illustration and great. This would be a great book to read at the being of a school year.
Isabell Lawless
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was beautifully illustrated and written. The CD that comes along with the book makes it easy to learn the song and sing it. The whole family loves it. A new favorite.

• Each Kindness
  • When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • Autumn Is for Apples
  • All Are Welcome
  • Amazing Grace
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • A Normal Pig