Start by marking “This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)” as Want to Read:
This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)

This Gray Spirit

(Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma #2)

UNSAILED SEAS The political intrigue aboard "Deep Space 9" (TM) escalates when Gul Macet's warship arrives at the station with an unexpected passenger. Cardassian Ambassador Natima Lang has returned to the station on a mission of hope, but it's one that will bring back old wounds and old ghosts. As tensions rise on all sides, Colonel Kira Nerys discovers that the line betw ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 390 pages
Published August 27th 2002 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about This Gray Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Gray Spirit

Erica
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 stars. This novel started off really intriguing with the Defiant being crippled by an unknown weapon and due to this meet a new species. This species, the Yrythny, are on the brink of civil war - all the while being targeted by another species, mind you - since the two casts doesn't get along and the Defiant crew get caught up in the middle of all of this.

"Who knows if these strangers have been brought here by the Other? There's no question that we face perilous times. The blockade may tu
Adam
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This Gray Spirit, Heather Jarman's first foray into the world of Star Trek fiction, continues the Mission Gamma DS9 relaunch series which started with Twilight. Jarman's effort is valiant, advancing several key plotlines with surprising grace, yet simultaneously taking the reader through a series of sharp twists and turns that make the ride all the more exciting.

Devastated by damage from an alien minefield, the Defiant encounters friendly assistance from the Yrythny, a Gamma Quadrant species at
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another interesting DS9 relaunch novel!
Greg
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just about to hit the 75% mark and suddenly the book has come alive. A flashback for Kira on walkabout through what was left of Cardassia left her shattered and this is happening as Bajoran diplomats plot their revenge against their mortal enemies. In the meantime, Vaughn is doing his best to outsmart a planet of civil dissidents and poor Nog is caught in the middle. And Ezri is standing tall (pun not intended) doing the people of Trill proud, all in the name of the Federation. Add in to the mix ...more
Annie
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This book reminded me why Deep Space Nine was my favorite Star Trek series. The intellectual level of the characters is so thought provoking.
Jessica
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read book one of Mission Gamma, and I thought it was really slow. I was hoping book 2 would be better, and fortunately, it did not disappoint.
Jessica
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
good continuation of the series! I was more interested in the plots in this one than the last one. I loved the dilemma with the amphibious species, and I appreciate that while the solution was technological, there was some acknowledgement that it's not a cure-all; social reorganization will be challenging. Not sure what to think about Ezri on command track, but I liked how she drew from Dax's experiences and also found a way to use her own training as a counselor. Also putting Kira at the center ...more
Derek Oberg
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Mission Gamma" has been a great series so far. Deep Space 9 has always been my favorite Star Trek, and Kira Nerys has always been my favorite character. One of the things that's so great about the post-series novels (dubbed the "DS9 Re-launch") is that you get to see Colonel Kira in full swing as commanding officer of the station after the disappearance and assumed death of Captain Sisko. Although I know enough about the later novels in the series to know that they eventually bring Sisko back, ...more
Blythe
Jun 19, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: ds9, star-trek
I should disclaim that this was the first Relaunch book I tried to read...and frankly, the Relaunch ultimately did very little for me. Your mileage will definitely vary on this.

I picked up the book for the Cardassia/Bajor plotline, and that was the half of the book that I finished. I generally enjoyed that, and felt Jarman did a good job of depicting the "one step forward, two steps back" aspect of Cardassia and Bajor trying to put such a long and painful past behind them. Gul Macet and (view sp
Dan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ds9, star-trek
An excellent entry in the DS9 relaunch! All of the characters get ample "screen time" (or would that be "page time"?) and the stories are just as emotionally relevant and character-driven as the Deep Space Nine television series often was. In particular, the author's handling of Kira and Ezri are excellent. The invocation of Ziyal's memory and the use of characters from DS9's past are particularly welcome. Heather Jarman is clearly someone who knows her Trek!

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.
Madeline
TGS is the first of these relaunch novels I've read where I've thought they really needed a copy editor ("phased" does not mean "fazed," guys), and in general there were some jarring turns of phrase. I kept thinking: "that's not really what you mean." But it was entertaining enough - I really liked the Space Problem they had to deal with, and the politicking took some interesting turns this go around.
Angela
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The season continues with more problems on DS9 caused by talks with the Cardassians. Meanwhile, the Defiant meet a species that is separated by castes and prejudice. This is a very involving storyline and a substantial read. The character development is great, and this does feel like a real continuation of the tv series. A very good read.
Tammy
Jul 11, 2010 rated it liked it
I like this book a little better than the first. The thread about Shar and the rest of the Andorians and the plight on Vanimel were interesting. In particular, the last 100 pages or so was absorbing. There is a lot going on throughout the book, but I wasn't as interested in the rest of the plot lines. Also, I felt Ezri did not quite ring true.
Weavre
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Weavre by: Michelle Cooper
Shelves: star-trek
I think the Mission Gamma series is one of the best the Star Trek genre has to offer, and I loved this book. I've also had a busy summer, and I'm feeling lazy; since this isn't a Vine book with a required review, I'll just say, "Loved it! Great summer read!" and be done with it. :)
Jeremy
Apr 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Ok so this to me was the first stumble in the “season 8” relaunch of DS9. The stuff going on the station is interesting and really kept my interest but the stuff in the Gamma Quadrant is a snore. Feels like so much is going on without much detail and I just didn’t care.
Michael
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The entire DS9 relaunch (via novels) was fabulously done - especially the Mission Gamma series of four books. It was as if the beloved series had never ended . . . a real treat for anyone who loved the series and lamented its end. If you loved DS9, read the DS9 relaunch!
Andrew Price
I loved the Mission Gamma series, and this is another great installment.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Combines the spirit of the original Trek with the wonderful cast of characters in DS9.
Daniel Paton
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another book that proves DS9 had legs left after the series ended. Continues the very Trek style of story telling I've come to expect.
Brian Stuhr
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Would've given 5 *s without all the spelling and format errors in the eBook... :/
Nathan Burgoine
Bonnie Reich
Oct 03, 2015
Andy
Apr 03, 2012
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • The War of the Prophets

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma (4 books)
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)