Start by marking “Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)” as Want to Read:
Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)

Winnie-the-Pooh

(Winnie-the-Pooh #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  270,237 ratings  ·  4,803 reviews
The adventures of Christopher Robin and his friends in which Pooh Bear uses a balloon to get honey, Piglet meets a Heffalump, and Eeyore has a birthday.
Hardcover, Anniversary Edition, 145 pages
Published October 1st 2001 by Dutton Juvenile (first published October 14th 1926)

To ask other readers questions about Winnie-the-Pooh, please sign up.
Bodhi Looks like it's not a direct quote (from a little research). It's poetically strung together from a series of ideas in the last scene in the second bo…moreLooks like it's not a direct quote (from a little research). It's poetically strung together from a series of ideas in the last scene in the second book, The House at Pooh Corner. I guess it was made as some sort of "greeting card" blurb and was so touching, it spread all over the place. (congrats to whoever that author is). Christopher Robin asks Pooh to promise to never forget about him, then they go off together, but it says they will always be playing there…(less)
Faranae Well, your question isn't really a question, but... many misattributed quotes likely come from the adaptations. Others are likely "remembered" quotes,…moreWell, your question isn't really a question, but... many misattributed quotes likely come from the adaptations. Others are likely "remembered" quotes, where the spirit but not the letter of the quote is preserved. If you're particularly keen on clearing up the mistakes, IMDB would be a good place to start to find quotes that are from film-type adaptations.(less)

·  270,237 ratings  ·  4,803 reviews

Start your review of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
Paul Bryant
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Winnie-the-Pooh, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Win-knee-the-Pooh: the tip of the lip taking a trip of three steps down the palate to return at four to kiss : Pooh. He was Pooh, plain Pooh, in the morning, standing eighteen inches in one sock. He was that scruffy old bear at school. He was Mr Winnie Pooh on the dotted line. But in my arms he was always Bear.
Manny
In which the animals meet a Hostile Reviewer, and Pooh invents a New Breakfast

One morning, Pooh and Piglet were walking through the Hundred Acre Wood, when they spied a strange Creature lying on the ground. As they got closer, they could see that it looked a bit like a very large Boy. But what was most remarkable was that someone had tied it down with hundreds of tiny ropes. It could hardly move a finger, and there was even something tied over its mouth.

"Mmf!" said the creature in a loud but rat
Kai
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

Since Winnie-the-Pooh is my favourite Disney movie, I decided to read book it's based on. Turns out it is one of my favourite books.
It is so absolutely sweet and filled with smart humor. What I like most about Winnie-the-Pooh is this melancholic feeling you get while reading. I just really really love it so much. I will forever read this to my future children (or dogs. Depends.)

Find more of my books on Instagram
Julie
Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne was my favorite book series as a child. Later, when my own kids sat listening to the adventures of Christopher Robin, Pooh Bear, Piglet, and Eeyore, and the gang, it was a little bit of a shock to discover this series, with its charming stories, are not just for kids.

A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference

I enjoyed sharing these stories with my own children, loving the chance - or excuse- to read them all over again, struck
Petra-masx
I got four matching hardback books today:

When We Were Very Young
Now We Are Six
Winnie-the-Pooh and
The House at Pooh Corner.

I was going to put some ribbon around them and sell them as a set, but I got lost in reading The King's Breakfast (and loving Shepard's illustrations) aloud. I don't really want to sell the book now. I want to have kiddies come into the shop and on the pretext of perhaps making a sale from the parents reading the poems aloud. Most of the parents won't be impressed though, the
Ahmad Sharabiani
Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh #1), A.A. Milne

Winnie-the-Pooh (1926) is the first volume of stories about Winnie-the-Pooh, written by A. A. Milne and illustrated by E. H. Shepard.

The book focuses on the adventures of a teddy bear called Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends Piglet, a small toy pig; Eeyore, a toy donkey; Owl, a live owl; and Rabbit, a live rabbit.

The characters of Kanga, a toy kangaroo, and her son Roo are introduced later in the book, in the chapter entitled "In Which Kanga and Ba
James
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book Review
Can you believe Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne is almost 100 years old? I was shocked when I found out... I thought it was from the 1950s or 1960s... nonetheless, it's an amazing memory. So many fun characters, great childhood moment and even some adult ones come from these books and the subsequent mass market media that came from them. It always had me wondering... what exactly is a "pooh," as in bear... Christopher Robin's made-up name, so it seems, came from a childhood
Summer
The Winnie the Pooh books are great because everyone has some sort of problem. Pooh is painfully naïve, Piglet is neurotic, Owl is a narcissist, Eeyore has major depression, Tigger is hyperactive, Rabbit is a sociopath, and Kanga needs to spend an afternoon with The Feminine Mystique. It's good for kids to learn that pretty much anyone you meet will have some sort of major problem.

Sean Barrs
Winnie-the-Pooh is so much fun. It has all the things that make for a fantastic children’s story.

Like The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and Harry Potter there is a hidden world (a much better world) on the fringes of our own. Enter a wardrobe, a platform or a tree and you are on the cusp of something grand. It’s pure escapism. However, for all that, the Pooh stories are very simply written. Unlike the two books I just mentioned, I don’t think there’s much beyond the basic humorous moments in
Merphy Napier
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars, classics
This is such a beautiful series and I had a great time the second time around. I can't wait to read this to my son someday

-----------------------

I was not expecting this to become a new favorite! It has a similar style to Peter Pan and it's SO FREAKING FUNNY! I loved this so much and am SO EXCITED to continue with the series!
Shirley Revill
My children and grandchildren love Winnie the Pooh and I must admit so do I.
He's my favourite bear and there is so much wisdom in these books by A.A Milne.
The stories from my childhood never seem to age and are loved by many children today both big and small. Pure nostalgia. 🐻
Chrissie
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing I can say that does this book justice. It is a work of art. The word play is stupendous. It is funny from start to finish. It is perfect for both adults and kids. Although the lines and the vocabulary are actually better suited to adults, it works exceedingly well for both. By first entertaining and amusing the adults, it pushes them to talk and explain to their kids what may be difficult for them to understand. Kids know when their parents are enjoying themselves and then they ...more
Mariel
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Winnie's poo
Recommended to Mariel by: Eeyore's hot tail
Celebrity Death Match versus Heart of Darkness.
Dear Christopher Robin,
Your father and I miss you but we feel that it would be best if you spent the remainder of the summer at camp, as previously agreed. You quit the boy scouts, band and your newspaper route to spend more time with those... things. Really, my son, you are much too told to play with... stuffed animals. To think, all my friends in the bridge meetings have all-star athlete sons and honor roll daughters to brag about. I have Christop
James
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So beautifully and so simply written (deceptively so) by A.A. Milne and exquisitely illustrated by E.H. Shepard (initially black/white line drawings and later colour washed by Shepard himself).

These are the stories of a boy and his bear, his world and all the wonderful characters that inhabit that world – 100 Acre Wood, his childhood and ultimately the passing of that childhood.

What could have been (especially considering the era in which they were written) a particularly twee, sickly sweet an
Jonnie
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I think of Winnie-the-Pooh, I think of an incredibly sweet melancholy. Like, A.A Milne is not allowed to make me feel these feels in the form of a children's story book!

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you."

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

“You can't stay i
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Back at work after 10 days of vacay and my current mindset is a little summin' like this . . . .

Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

My baby son is six months old and as part of his bedtime routine we're reading him stories.
Bryce Wilson
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-lit, children
It's tough to read something this perfect and pure without feeling a bit like Milton's Satan, dismayed by just how far from true innocence and grace I've fallen.

m a r y l i z
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So that was sweet. <3 Short, simple, and absolutely precious. This brought me back to my childhood of watching Winnie-the-Pooh and visiting Disneyland. *happy sigh* Definitely recommend reading this right before you go to college, hehe. ;)

Jason Koivu
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: childrens book lovers and gun nuts
Recommended to Jason by: yo momma...no wait, i think it was my momma
Shelves: fiction
Pooh gets shot for godsake! I don't remember that in the version that was read to me as a child! What I recall were the sweet, pastoral tales of anthropomorphic animals living semi-silly existences in their quaint village-esque neighborhood in the woods. I liked Pooh, his muddled world view and convoluted logic, and Piglet's utter meekness had its charm, however Tigger was mah boy! He was my favorite character in the book and coincidentally my favorite ornament on my family's christmas tree. Rea ...more
Anne
I had a heart.

After listening to this audiobook, it melted to the ground.

I have been Winnie-the-Pooh-obsessed since childhood, and it has never failed to warm my soul. It's the single cutest, most adorable thing in the world. It's sweetly innocent and heartwarming, yet also oddly witty (Eeyore is hilarious! And so is Rabbit!) and incredibly diverting.

I had somehow, until a few days ago, never read the original books. I'm not quite sure how that happened, because I tell you, Winnie the Pooh ha
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Winnie-the-Pooh is such an English Treasure, it seems impossible that I had never read it before, not in my childhood or in my adulthood. However, being English means that I already know all about Pooh Bear, his friends and that most treasured English-childhood past-time of Pooh Sticks.

It was so charming and written so well, but I found it really didn't go anywhere. I wish I had read it as a child be
Dannii Elle
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silly old Pooh!

Winnie the Pooh is like a rite of passage to many and yet, despite watching the TV and movie adaptations, I have never read or been read this book. Fortunately, this holds equal appeal to both child and adult readers alike, much due to the ironically humorous style and the silly anecdotes of the adorable cast of animals who grace these pages. This was a quick read but an unforgettable one. A full five stars from this adult reader, who can only wish she read this two decades ago, a
Vanessa
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was just completely delightful. I never read the Winnie the Pooh stories as a child (just the poems), but I remember several of these stories from seeing them interpreted by Disney, and the nostalgia factor was real. There are so many jokes for adults in these books, and they genuinely made me smile and laugh out loud. I kept getting up to read little sections to my husband because I found them so funny. I'm so glad I have this in my collection now.
Will Ansbacher
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh, bother! I’ve started this Review and now I don’t know how to continue. I had a Very Good Idea for one and then it sort of just Flew Away.
(“What’s a Revue? asked Piglet, "can they really fly?”
“Well, they can,” said Bear, “it Depends. Sometimes they just Plod, if you know what I mean. You have to say something of Very Great Importance, so that it will be Liked.”
“Pooh," said Piglet helpfully, "if you wrote it I would like it anyway.”)

But maybe there isn’t anything new I can say that hasn’t
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
BOOK #9 READ FOR BELIEVATHON ROUND 2.

the stories = 3 stars
the audiobook narration with sound effects?? (minus piglet's annoying snorts) = 5 stars

bless this audiobook for helping me fall asleep this week :') it was sooo relaxing and nostalgic!
Ken
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really wonderful collection of short tales that introduces the friends of Christopher Robin.
From that silly little Bear who is fixated on honey to the nervous Piglet.

I was quite surprised that Tigger doesn’t feature (he appears in the sequel).
I was familiar with most of these stories having grown up with the Disney cartoons, Pooh getting stuck in holes being so iconic.
This book also included some wonderful illustrations.

My favourite character is Eeyore, I loved he’s birthday storyline!
Kelli
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, childrens
Silly old bear! We listened to the audio during a family trip. For me, it was nostalgic, gentle, old-timey (a made up word that seems quite appropriate), and sweet. My children, both (I thought) on the older side to enjoy this in this day and age, absolutely adored it.
mina
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it

“Old Silly Bear.”

I have to make a confession. I don’t like Winnie the Pooh… or at least I didn’t like him before reading this. And if you plan on asking how could I not like Winnie… I don’t know… I just didn’t. However, I really enjoyed this and I loved Pooh’s songs so much.
#ClassicsCommunit...: August Children's Classic : Winnie The Pooh 10 36 Aug 29, 2020 07:33PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine and correct the title 2 12 Apr 15, 2020 04:32PM
2019 Roe Reading ...: Winnie the Pooh 2 9 Mar 23, 2020 03:14AM
Spring Morning A.A. Milne 1 3 Sep 30, 2019 07:18AM

• The Lorax
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • The Cat in the Hat (The Cat in the Hat, #1)
  • The Velveteen Rabbit
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • The Witches
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • Bearstone: With Related Readings (Glencoe Literature Library, #8)
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • Matilda
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • The BFG
  • Peter Pan
  • James and the Giant Peach
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac

Winnie-the-Pooh (4 books)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)

Articles featuring this book

We all have our reading bucket lists. James Mustich's 1,000 Books to Read Before You Die is bound to seriously expand that list...
“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” 8763 likes
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.” 8617 likes