Start by marking “Girl in the Mirror” as Want to Read:

Girl in the Mirror

Two powerful and unforgettable stories:

Girl in the Mirror

Lila knows how lucky she is to have found the man of her dreams. But when a secret from her family's past comes to light on her wedding day, her destiny changes in the most unexpected of ways ...

The Memory Maker

They say you never forget your first love. But what happens when those cherished memories start to fade? So
Published March 1st 2011 by HarperTorch

To ask other readers questions about Girl in the Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl in the Mirror

Suad Shamma
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2011
Let's just say, I really wasn't impressed with this one. Looking at others' reviews, I see that no one was.

I didn't mind that the book was small, and I would not have minded the cost so much, as long as the content was worth it.

Unfortunately, it really wasn't.

The second story was just so slow - and that's saying something as it was such a short story - and very confusing! The first story started out great, but I think the way it ended was such an anti-climax to the whole build up of it. I was
Maria Carmo
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
The book is well written, but the first story left me with an uneasy feeling...
On the one hand, it is difficult to be sure what really happened (with a bit more imagination, almost all possibilities are open for the three beings that were "trapped" in the situation... Jeremy seemed to sense that "something was wrong" - why does he not do something about it? Is it credible that the Grandmother would sacrifice the young man to recover her granddaughter, albeit in a man's body? Why not then change
Julie
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: låne
I have read almost all of Cecelia Ahern's books, and liked them. They have all had an important message. But these two have been a little harder to figure out. The first one, girl in the mirror, is about vanity and sacrifice. Would you exchange your eyes for freedom? Would you sacrifice a stranger to gain your freedom back? Well, Lila sacrificed a stranger. I don't really no what the point of the story was...

The memory maker was better. There was a point, cherish your memories. Memories fade, an
V H
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
There were two short stories in this one book: "Girl in the Mirror" and "The Memory Maker". Both had the typical magic of Ahern's books, and also made me think a lot.

"Girl in the Mirror" was a lot darker and more sad than I can remember any other of Ahern's book having been. It was almost like a scary ghost story.

"The Memory Maker" was rather thought provoking.

Both stories were really good, I was worried when I picked it up that I would want them to be longer, that it would be too short when i
Luke
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
GIRL IN THE MIRROR

I have to say, for the majority of the read, I was engaged; I was curious—I wanted to see where everything was going. However, that ending . . . it sucked. I wanted a better resolve; I wanted something with a happier ending. And I feel like this story could've been longer, as well.

THE MEMORY MAKER

I didn't really enjoy this story. It was, at times, confusing, and I wasn't that engaged. It wasn't terrible—the writing was lyrical. I feel like this story could've been expanded on
Priyanka Bhat
Dec 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was my first Cecelia Ahern book. I expected a lot more from it.
The first story, as F***ed up as it is, is relatively haunting.
The second story, on the other hand, is very vague and I guess, one could call it "beautiful" but it's just not my type of book. I like it when the characters are vague not the plot.
So, overall, I did not like the book too much, or rather, I did not like the book at all, and hence I refuse to give it more than one star.
R A I N
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all.
This is my first novel by Cecilia Ahern. Yeah, I know. After her huge success with P.S. I Love You many years back, I have to be some special kind of an idiot to not have read anything by her. Yet, here we are. Regaaaaardless,
This little gem of a book containing two absolutely beautiful, grasping stories left me totally in love with the author. How can such power, such suspense, such strong emotion be wrapped inside a mere handful of pages is beyond my comprehension, really. I mean yes, I have r
Lisa Williamson
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have to agree with the other comments about this book, I was disappointed. More with the first story, Girl in the Mirror, than with the second.

I was excited to try out Cecelia's short stories having read all her novels, but with the magical worlds she creates for her readers a short story did not give enough time for everything to make sense or for a relationship to be built with her characters. Girl in the Mirror ended far too abruptly and left me feeling confused and wanting to find out exa
Lauren Fisher
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it
I was very keen to try out Ahern's short stories but I must say whilst I enjoyed the two stories, I was left feeling unsatisfied, not because they were badly written but because the stories were so gripping I wished they were longer! The first story Girl in the Mirror had me hooked in seconds but ended rather abruptly, if this short story was of novel length it could have been twisted in several ways. However saying all that, I was still impressed by Ahern's writing style and can't wait for her ...more
Ayustika (That Bibliophilic Cauldron)
It has probably been around three years since I last read a Ceclia Ahern book. I’ve always adored her as a writer. Her stories are beautiful, unique and always have a dash of magic in them. Her plots always remind me of fairy tales and this book was no different either. It has two short stories : The Girl in the Mirror and The Memory Maker. After reading the first story, there was a haunting feeling suspended in me. The second story was very Cecelia Ahern-esque, for the lack of a better word. It ...more
~☆clockwork
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Sara Shaw
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I hate myself for reading this. It's so damn creepy
Ayda Razak
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
There are two stories in this book: Girl in the Mirror and The Memory Maker. I wish it would be a bit longer for both stories but the stories are still good as it is.

Girl in the Mirror is quite scary. Like reading a scary ghost story. 4/5

The Memory Maker is a bit sad. Makes me think a lot. 3/5
AnaΣtaΣia
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Both stories had a great concept but in the end you get the feeling that you want more, especially in the first one which ends so abruptly..It would have made a great book though and as always Ahern's imagination doesn't disappoint.
Chrysa Nez
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The two stories were nice. But the both had an unfinished touch, and something felt off about the first one. The ending perhaps? Still, as sort stories they were fun to read.
Naomi Nair
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
How important is freedom? Do we value freedom enough to sacrifice our eyes in exchange for it? Is freedom so important that we are willing to sacrifice another human being? This forms the backdrop for Cecelia Ahern’s latest book – The Girl in the Mirror. A dark and poignant story revolving round Lila and her grandmother, Ellie or Grellie, as she is fondly called. I confess I found the book very confusing at first! I kept thinking “What is the message she is trying to convey?” I was put off by th ...more
Marga
The first story was really good... it caught me right away especially with the mystery of the mirrors being draped over. This is one of those stories that are best told if rushed and that I love it even more that I didn't feel like it was. It just moved with the pace that I want the events to happen and when it was over I was completely shocked. I wanted more...

You see, I did not read the plot of this book. I just saw the incredibly beautiful cover and title and just read it right away. I didn'
melissa
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
The first story in this book was haunting. It still sticks with me now, and I find myself constantly still thinking about it. Lila is a young woman we follow, and in part her relationship with her grandmother. A terrible family secret comes to light on the day of her wedding (but it could have easily been any other day). It was creepy, but the wrap up was great and unexpected. Interesting resolution. One of the best short stories I have read in a long time.

I have to say, I may have enjoyed the s
Ainur
Girl in the Mirror

Like it! Like it! Like it! Like it!
The story is amazing. It gave me goosebump.
It's literally like the title and totally unexpected.
Kept me intrigued throughout the whole story till the end.

Memory Maker

Not as good as the first one but still good.
The storyline is kinda slow, the character is interesting.
It's about this old man, an inventor, created this machine which make memory. (I don't quite grasp the concept) So people kept coming to him to have their memory made.
The sto
Alexandra
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Angie Beckett
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was very short, I read it in about an hour! But I don't mind that, my main problem with this book is that the stories are so confusing!

The first story with the girl trapped in the mirror ends pretty abruptly, and has a sad ending that left me very dissatisfied!

And the second story was just plain confusing! I didn't get what the meaning of the story was!

I love Cecelia Ahern and her writing style and the cute little illustrations in it are the only things that save this book from a 1
Maria
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Cecelia Ahern is an extremely gifted writer. Her imagination runs wild and she's brilliant when it comes to visualizing things and putting them into words. These two short stories are absolutely lovely. The idea behind them? Fantastic. I just wish they were longer... they would have more space to breathe and it would hold the reader closer and for longer! Still, it's always a pleasure to read something by the wonderful Cecelia Ahern!
Shriya
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: -
This is my first attempt at reading Cecelia Aherns writing style. I love short stories, so therefore this was a great starting point.

Girl in The Mirror
I just didn't get it? There wasn't enough detail.

Memory Maker
Got better but still there was something missing

Most readers know short stories are a hit and miss although this will not stop me from reading Cecelia Aherns books in future. Lesson learned from past: try to give authors another chance
Ella
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I've read many Cecelia's books and they all carry important messages. These two short stories do too, but it's kind of harder to figure it out. I liked both of them, but not as much as I thought I would. It was very easy to read, but harder to figure out, what really happened. It can sometimes be a good thing, but not in this case. I still liked it, but Cecelia has better wokrs that I've read.
Jan 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Books should never be this small, the story was over far too quickly. the first story I found to be very odd, set up mystery and then was sudden and confusing and the ending was rubbish too. Suprisingly Im still able to look into mirrors. The second story was more my thing but again I felt as though the story was rushed and unexplained. Glad I borrowed it from my local library!
Evi
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love Cecelia Ahern! Her stories are always so magical, which is no different in the two short stories. I was gutted it was over so quickly though :( I would like "Girl in the mirror" to have been a proper novel, just so I could enjoy the mystery & magic even longer!
Vicky
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed other books by this author, but found this tiny book, containing two short stories, to be quite ordinary. Girl in the Mirror was an interesting idea, but perhaps could have been dealt with better as a full length novel. Will still seek out more of this author's work.
Elise
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't really expect this, because it seems like a fun chicklit, however it's really dark and includes tragic and traumatic stories. It is well written.
Mridu  aka Storypals
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have no idea what i just read.
Cecilia Ahern is one of my favorite author, all her stories are so whimsical and just aww.
This was beyond creepy and weird.
Amy Mcpike
2 stars for girl in the mirror.
3 stars for memory maker.
My least liked book so far from Cecelia Ahern.

• Life as I Know It
  • Mammy Walsh's A-Z of the Walsh Family (Walsh Family, #6)
  • Before I Forget
  • The Anti-Death League
  • The Accidental Proposal (Ed & Dan, #3)
  • A Whisper in the Dark
  • The One Before The One
  • Gasten (Pax, #5)
  • The Wedding Diaries
  • A Walk in the Park
Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.
“When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” 0 likes
“If you think I'm going to let you take over my life, you're wrong.” 0 likes