Start by marking “Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13)” as Want to Read:
Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13)

Lord Brocktree

(Redwall #13)

The young haremaid Dotti and the badger-warrior Lord Brocktreeunlikely comradesset out for Salamandastron together, only to discover the legendary mountain has been captured by the wildcat Ungatt Trunn and his Blue Hordes. To face them, the two must rally an armyhares and otters, shrews and moles, mice and squirrelsand execute a plan that makes up in cleverness what it ...more
Published June 2nd 2005 by Firebird (first published July 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Brocktree, please sign up.
ɖǟռɢɛʀօʊֆ ɖǟʀɨռɢ ɖǟʊռȶʟɛֆֆ ɖǟɢɢɛʀ I read it the first time at age eight and loved it, but I had strange tastes as a kid. The youngest I would recommend it for is probably 12 years old.…moreI read it the first time at age eight and loved it, but I had strange tastes as a kid. The youngest I would recommend it for is probably 12 years old. (less)

Start your review of Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13)
Kogiopsis
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
There's always a risk involved in re-reading childhood favorites. What if they're not as good as I remember? What if they espouse views I now can't stand?

That last one is a serious potential problem for the Redwall books, because Brian Jacques made no bones about writing morality with very few shades of grey. As he once wrote in the introduction to the Friend and Foe guide, "Goodies are good!" And yet, despite growing up on his work, I find myself less and less fond of black-and-white morality
Jane Jago
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sad to have finished this one. I do love a Redwall tale. There is something infinitely comfortable about them and yet they still entertain.
Josiah
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

The law of Badger Lords, Lord Brocktree, P. 370

Thirteen books into the beloved Redwall series, Brian Jacques demonstrates in Lord Brocktree that his tales of Mossflower Wood and its many and varied inhabitants still have plenty of freshness in reserve. This is the best entry in the series since The Bellmaker, episode seven in the Redwall
Cameron
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Long suffering readers looking for a fun tale of adventure and conquest
Shelves: reviewed
Lord Brocktree is a tough book to rate. One one hand, the book contains a fun and interesting story with likable characters. On the other hand, there are so many things in this book that are either completely unnecessary or just plain annoying (or both). It comes down to this: Are the abundant annoyances present in this book forgivable due to the presence of a well told story?

The answer to the above question, in this case, is no. Yes, Brocktree and Stonepaw are interesting characters who have a
James Zanghi
Jan 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one pretty much
Recommended to James by: My Parents gave it to me for my birthday back in 2000
One of the problems with the Redwall series is that the books have gotten extremely based on a formula and while that formula is pretty easy to like, it's still pretty easy to predict character actions in the later Redwall Novels like Lord Brocktree.

Basically, the formula is villain makes appearance, causes trouble, new (and most times inexperienced) hero appears, lot of eating and description about food, some kumbahya-sing-round-the-campfire songs that are rips from Lord of the Rings and that
Martina Sanjaya
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just love every single book of the Redwall stories. I love the simpleness of plot, yet charmingly told. I love the characters, I love the things they do best. I love how the author painstakingly written down every weird accent, and I love how he created all the lovely food. I love all the wise advice along with the story; classic, told in old ways, but never boring with stories like this. A great children book!
Lisa
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Book, I absolutely adore Brian Jacques' writing, i have read many of his book multiples times starting at a young and continue to read them into my adult years. They never get boring dull or cumbersome. They may come across as whimsical to some, however this is what i love most about them. We all need more Whimsy in our lives.
Joseph Leskey
Very excellent. This story, like the previous two books I've read in this series, boasted a nice [somewhat] fresh plot from the usual fare you get from Redwall. It was quite well done and enjoyable.
Alexia
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Alexia by: Librarian
Loved it. Brian Jacques is a force to be reckoned with.

(I've read the entire series)
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This book helps to explain a couple of things about the world of Redwall, including the Long Patrol, but personally, I don't think this was one of the author's best books. Some of the scenes could get repetitive, but then it could be because I've read so many of these books. Heh.
Micah
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most adventurous and daring books I have ever read out of the 600 books I have read! the book describes whats happening in such great detail I can see whats happening in my mind Brian Jacques is a great author. I recommend this book to everyone.
Megan Cutler
Nov 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
It is a Redwall book. It followed the formula. There was an upstart baby animal, impossible to understand creatures and feasts. Even though the theme of this book seemed to be that everyone should be able to function without food for long periods of time (while alternately wasting it with foolish eating contests).

My mistake was hoping this book would provide insight into the history and establishment of Salamandastron; it doesn't. In fact, it doesn't do anything to distinguish it from the other
Jenny Clark
Not the best Redwall book, but still good. As many have said, Redwall has a plot pretty much set. Villain comes and does evil (Usualy a wildcat, rat, stoat, ferret, weasel, fox or bird of some sort) and a hero saves the day, usualy with killing only the main villian. Whike entertaining, this gets to be kinda unrealistic. Usualy, there is another to continue said villainy, not just a bunch of cowards. Regardless, a good series and book in general. I like that we get to see more of the Redwall ...more
Owen
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found a signed hardcover copy of this on a BARGAIN TABLE once. Best purchase ever!
Kelley
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a beast to read aloud. But its a great story.

My 13-year-old son has been reading the Redwall books for several years. Hes listened to some on audiobook, so I knew there were a lot of interesting accents and brogues involved. But I had no idea, when he asked me to read one before bed, that I was in for this: Ho urr, an dancin, too, oi loiks tdarnce.

Thats Gurth, a mole. Hes the worst. I could only make out about two-thirds of what I was saying he said. Everyone else I could
Nathan Trachta
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having started the Redwall series I decided to head to the true beginning, have to say a nice pleasant read. Here we have the almost perfect hero in Brocktree; balancing compassion with force, intelligence, and a winning personality. Bringing him together with Dotti and the rest makes for a good story of recovery of a family hold and friends coming together. That said I had two minor problems. The first is that this story is so similar to Redwall its almost pitiful. I wish a different path had ...more
Emily
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself wasn't too bad, it would have been a happy easy read. The different dialects and 'speaks' used throughout became difficult to understand. I understand the author's intent, but in practice it unfortunately made the reading experience jarring.
Nate Adams
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honestly a really good read, very descriptive and engaging. I was surprised how violent it got for a children's story. It was turned out to be a really good fantasy adventure story, with really interesting and well developed characters.
Sarah TheAromaofBooks
My second DNF in as many days. I'm really struggling to get into a book right now.
Stephen
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this one to my kids. How can you not love an epic fantasy story about a Badger Lord taking back his mountain kingdom from a deranged wildcat? And there are so many otters! It's too bad Jacques has passed away.
Adam Golden
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
(3/5★)
The Redwall books were a staple of my childhood reading. While the stories told are usually fairly formulaic throughout the series, there is a certain charm that each book has that still makes it an enjoyable and comfy read. The monstrous badger Lord Brocktree himself is possibly one of the most badass heroes Jacque's has ever created, and helps pave the way for the lore of the series considering that this book, chronologically, is the first. While the ending is great, the build up to it
Richard
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Elizabeth
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
Lord Brocktree is probably the cleverest Badger Lord of the Redwall series and throughout the book relies more on his brain than his brawn. Its a nice departure from the usual, especially since many of Jacques characters all start sounding the same after a while. Another nice departure was the antagonism between Fleetscut and Jukka and the maidenry of Dotti. Her emphasis on proper manners just to rile her opponents made for some of the funniest scenes in the book, and lets not forget all the ...more
Ian Brunner
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lord Brocktree is the 13th book published in the Redwall universe but the first to take place chronologically. I've been a massive fan of Brian Jacques ever since I was a child(or a dibbun as they would say in the Redwall world) and re-reading the series changes very few things for me.

The plot is simple: Peace has gone on for too long near the mountain fortress of Salamandastron; the ancestral home of the badger lords. Ungatt Trunn the wild cat arrives with his massive horde and lays siege to
Alex H
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this book there are many characters. Some of the characters are Lord Brocktree, Dotti, Lord Stonepaw, Ungatt Trun, King Bucko Bigbones, and a bunch of hares. Lord Stonepaw is the new Badger Lord who is on an adventure to take his throne at Salamandstron, which is the home of the Badger Lords. Dotti is a hare who is on an adventure with Lord Brocktree to visit her aunt at Salamandstron. Lord Stonepaw is Lord Brocktree's father. He is the current Badger Lord and is waiting for his son to arrive ...more
Dave
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I heard a lot about the Redwall series, so I found Lord Brocktree at a garage sale, I picked it up. I envisioned this to be in the same vein as Watership Down, but then anthropomorphic animals in a medieval fantasy setting. That it was, although there was little magic, and the big difference with Watership Down is that the Redwall novels are aimed at a younger audience.

It started out nicely, with the badger Lord Brocktree traveling to his ancestoral home, Salamandastron, not knowing that it is
Michael Sigler
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the first book, chronologically-speaking, in the Redwall series, I was expecting to get the same satisfaction out of this book as I did out of others in this series I had as a kid.
I may have been hoping for too much.
Don't get me wrong, this book is very well written and the world is as fleshed out as ever, but the magic of the series while being read by an adult just isn't the same as it was when read by a child.
The writing is very clearly tailored to the mind of a child, and the funny
Bill Johnson
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
My experience reading Brian Jaques, began with Martin the Warrior, then Redwall, and Mossflower. This is the thirteenth book in the series, and it still showcases Mr. Jaques storytelling abilities. The message is simple: treat those you meet with compassion and friendship. Even your enemies. In the end, Good will triumph over Evil. I know I'm stating this too simply, but that does seem to be the message. Those who act with cruelty, will meet their end getting what they deserve. Strength and ...more
Emily Norwood
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was OBSESSED with this series when I was in middle school - I read about one of these books per week. I reread this one over a decade after the fact out of curiosity, to see if it measured up to my childhood esteem for it. I was pleasantly surprised. Although there are definitely parts where you can tell beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was written for twelve year olds (deaths are glossed over, the consequences largely ignored, etc.), it was still solid writing. It's much better than most ...more
The right order to read this series?? 2 4 Mar 27, 2018 05:38PM
Redwall: Reading Schedule 7 10 Oct 23, 2015 07:55AM
What Order? 4 27 Sep 02, 2015 12:01PM
Redwall: Lord Brocktree? 1 6 Jun 15, 2015 11:14AM
I don't get it! 9 74 Sep 21, 2014 05:27AM

• Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)
  • Fire Bringer
  • Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)
  • Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time
  • Over Sea, Under Stone (The Dark is Rising, #1)
  • The Capture (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #1)
  • A Wizard's Wings (Merlin #5)
  • Da Vinci code
  • The Burning (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #6)
  • Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain, #1)
  • Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
  • Darkwing (Silverwing, #0.5)
  • The Ignatius Bible: Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition
  • The Lord of the Rings: Official Movie Guide
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St.

Redwall (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)