Start by marking “Mount Appetite” as Want to Read:
Mount Appetite

Mount Appetite

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Short-listed for Canada's prestigious Giller Prize, Mount Appetite presents 12 vibrant, intensely human tales of desire and alienation. "Everyone at the top of Mt. Appetite is as close as they can get to heaven. It's work to get there and agony to be denied." Whether a salmon researcher, professional taster, illiterate faith healer, or Malcolm Lowry's illegitimate son, the ...more
Published February 10th 2005 by Raincoast Books

To ask other readers questions about Mount Appetite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mount Appetite

Shane
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Alcoholism and substance abuse is a tough subject to base a book upon and one can easily fall into the trap of portraying characters as losers. And yet I found this collection of short stories poignant and witty, with sympathetic characters, and full of subtle lessons.

A faith healer discovers the illusiveness of his gift the moment he lets himself get embroiled in material concerns; a younger brother feels his mortality when he sees his once-strong older sibling felled by a stroke; a staid uncle
Magdelanye
giving this a reluctant 4, for the writing, the insight, and the impact of these disturbing stories.
Shannon
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why have I not read Bill Gaston before? His writing feels like home. Perhaps it's because we have travelled some of the same paths - as a youth in North Vancouver, as an adult on the island. A fanciful trip east to Newfoundland. Thank you for these stories, these glimpses of humanity that are fascinating and terrifying.
Ibis3
Dec 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Where it Comes From, Where it Goes: I liked the story, but it left me confused. I didn't understand what happened to his gift. Will it come back? Why did it go? Why didn't he just put a lock on the box?

The Angel's Share: Again this story left me confused. Evelyn is obviously running from something. But what? Does it have to do with her father (he died?). I don't really get the ending either. I didn't really connect with her character.

The Alcoholist: I liked this one a bit, but again...
It seems
theduckthief
Feb 23, 2009 rated it liked it
"She can quiet a man like this. He wants only entertainment. He lacks eyes to see what's in the fire: faces hideous or godlike or mirroring any possible mood. He can't hear the tiny marimba of pebbles in waves, or the silence that is their aching measure. Can't parse the accents of smoke, or smell the beach as a charnel ground of clams, the non-stop enormity of this." p31

"Mount Appetite" by Bill Gaston is a collection of stories, tied together by the protagonists' search for something unseen or
Dawn
Now this is a collection of short stories that I could not get interested in.

The characters were all hapless and seem to drift through the world with no plan or ideas. The stories never have a ending or even enough to think there is an ending somewhere in the future. I was just left with this idea that nothing would change and if we saw these people again in 20 years we would hardly tell the difference. They would all still be unhappy, unsatisfied and unfulfilled.
Susan Glickman
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
How did I never read Gaston until now? What an amazing writer!
Yasuko Thanh
Feb 20, 2015
Yasuko
May 18, 2017
S. Baron
rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2011