Start by marking “We Bombed In New Haven” as Want to Read:
We Bombed In New Haven

We Bombed In New Haven

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The first of Heller's plays. Published in 1968.
Published August 1968 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about We Bombed In New Haven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Bombed In New Haven

Adam Floridia
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is not nearly as entertaining as Catch-22 (but then again, little is). There were a few great laugh-out-loud moments towards the beginning, but humor is not sustained throughout.

The reason I "really liked it" is that I would have to classify it as the first postmodern play I have ever read. In many ways, it is a meta-play--the actors address the audience, acknowledge that they are actors, and Heller even has them use their real names. This reinforces the idea that soldiers at war are more o
Ross
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my very favorite plays. It is unquestionably Heller's unique style and overflowing with sarcasm and ripe with critisims of war and politics. I find it especially meaningful today in regard to this global theater where we see war and death and disease every night on the televison, but as long as it doesn't effect us, who really cares? All the world's a stage. . .
Daniel Gingras
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting view of Heller's mind. A typical play gets overhauled as the characters begin to examine their own roles. Their persistent pressure upon the third wall, which ultimately breaks and spills upon a critique of the military.
Jeff
Sep 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Not much difference between this and Heller's own dramatization of "Catch 22," but he is incapable of writing unamusing dialogue (at least, he was until the forced absurdist-lite exchanges in "Good As Gold" and subsequent output)
Sara
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, poems-plays, own
I always find Heller to be funny and clever, no surprise that I loved this antiwar play by him. The play is designed to be set in actual time and place of performance and included quite a bit of audience interaction, would love to see it performed and others reactions.
Jon
May 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays
Same territory as Heller's Catch-22. I couldn't finish -- an extreme rarity for me. Hasn't aged well, but in my opinion also suffers from same broad surrealism that makes Catch-22 hard going at times.
Holly
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who is frustrated with politics
Heller had a crystal ball when he wrote this. He wrote dialogue for his military commanders that perfectly blends omnipotence and incompetence.
Albert Dubreuil
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it

Just what you'd expect of a war play written in 1968 that breaks the fourth wall nonstop.
Ciara
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the most important plays ever written. See it, if you can, it makes a hell of a difference. You cannot leave the theater unchanged.
Ed Patterson
Timely...now that I live in CT - boom!
Tyler Jones
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: drama
An anti-war rant, it has none of the character development or believability that made Catch-22 so great. For diehard Heller fans only.
Danielle Lee
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and quirky play by Joseph Heller.
Hayley Brown
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Finno-Ugrian Vampire
  • Getting Married
  • One Hundred Dollar Misunderstanding
  • Six Plays of Strindberg: The Father / Miss Julie / The Stronger / Easter / A Dream Play / The Ghost Sonata
  • The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition: Histories
  • Broken Bridge
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 2: Ghosts / An Enemy of the People / The Lady from the Sea / John Gabriel Borkman
  • The America Play
  • The Children of Herakles
  • Three Plays: Anna Christie / The Emperor Jones / The Hairy Ape
  • Short Eyes: A Play
  • The Baltimore Waltz and Other Plays
  • Jeffrey
  • Heroes and Saints and Other Plays: Giving Up the Ghost, Shadow of a Man, Heroes and Saints
  • Not About Nightingales
  • Three Plays: Exit the King / The Killer / Macbett
  • The Fable of the Bees and Other Writings
  • Les Confessions d'un bourgeois

Joseph Heller was the son of poor Jewish parents from Russia. Even as a child, he loved to write; at the age of eleven, he wrote a story about the Russian invasion of Finland. He sent it to New York Daily News, which rejected it. After graduating from Abraham Lincoln High School in 1941, Heller spent the next ye
More about Joseph Heller...