Start by marking “Jadwiga's Crossing: A Story of the Great Migration” as Want to Read:
Jadwiga's Crossing: A Story of the Great Migration

Jadwiga's Crossing: A Story of the Great Migration

"No more time for Germans, she said. As though it was for her to determine this for him. So much was happening. He was forgetting his knapsack, which he was entitled to keep. And he was forgetting the other Polish sergeants-the ones he had agreed to go to town with, to the dance. Already she had him fully confused. And hadn't she mentioned America, even? What was it she sa ...more
Paperback
Published January 19th 2006 by iUniverse (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jadwiga's Crossing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jadwiga's Crossing

Carol
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being of Polish extraction I found this book particularly interesting. This is based on true stories from an upper New York state Polish emigrant community that begins in 1869 in the north of Poland. One brother collected the information in the 1950's and began writing the book and when he died his brother finished the book. When you consider that this book is written by people who are not professional writers it is all the more impressive how well the story line evolves and holds together. It h ...more
Kay
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Jadwiga and Paul were wonderful characters, and I loved the story of how they met and then again how they settled in America. Since they came to America 30 years before my ancestors, they probably had a rougher voyage. The middle part did not interest me as much - too much hardship, deprivation and eventually tragedy on the crossing. But then their arrival in America brought so much hope and eventually prosperity to the family. The church with the Polish speaking pastor was such a comfort to the ...more
Mary
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, history
I bought this book at a talk by the author at the Polish Heritage Society and had it signed to give as a birthday gift to a relative who enjoys history and genealogy. Richard Lutz took family stories that his father had written down in 1950's and put them together to make this novel. Good story; very readable. Jadwiga is a strong young woman with lots of determination and energy. I like her very much.
Patti Raney
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A well told story based on real people! Poland has a very interesting history. It is a country unjustly oppressed and partitioned by it's neighbor countries. This was the story of the migration of a young Polish family as well as other Poles as they made their way to America and the story of their crossing by ship. It is a story of a determined, honest and hard working people and what America had to offer to them and so many. I was moved by their story!
Marnie
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with immigrant ancestors
Recommended to Marnie by: Cheryl Niepomnik
even though my great-grandparents emigrated from Poland some 40 years after the characters in this book, I couldn't help but imagine them facing the same struggles. the fear and uncertainty, coupled with 60+ days confinement in the cargo hold of a sailing ship, are inconceivable to our modern sensibilities. this book gave me a new-found respect for those who braved the unknown in search of a better life. I only hope that I'm living up to their dreams.
Maryjo
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Growing up I always heard my grandfather tell stories of coming over to the United States by boat. In my child's mind I had visions of large cruise ships-Titanic style. Jadwiga's Crossing gives great insight into what our immigrant grandparents went through to come to the United States. A great story for anyone whose family entered the US during the period of the Great Migration.
Mimi
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
What an absolutely delightful historical account and a labor of love. Started by Jadwiga (and her husband Paul)'s grandson, it was finished by the next generation down - I believe his son. Excellent pacing, sweet story, and a good account of the trip across the Atlantic, the way that faith was part of the story, and the American Immigrant Experience.
Amy Gourley
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is about Jadwiga and her husband Paul's journey to America from Poland in 1869. I thought i would like it more than I did; the beginning the middle were kinda boring and it picked up more towards the end.
Joyce
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Jagwida's Crossing" is a great book, enjoyable by anyone but especially readers of Polish heritage. It is a true account of the hardships and perils that Mr. Lutz's great-grandparents endured to realize their dream of a better life in America.

The story begins in a fishing village in Poland and ends in Dunkirk, New York, but the greater part of it takes place aboard the ship carrying uncertain but bravely optimistic flesh and blood people to a new land and a new life. My grandparents could very
Becky Golembieski
Jun 06, 2018
Curtis Urness
Nov 19, 2018
Marla
Nov 19, 2011
Barbara
rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2014