Start by marking “Desperate Hearts” as Want to Read:
Desperate Hearts

Desperate Hearts

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
After dispatching his sister’s murderer, bounty hunter Jace Rankin is hired by skinny youth Kyle Springer to help regain his ranch from vigilantes. Along the way Jace learns that Kyle is really Kyla, the young widow of an old friend. She wants revenge for the murder of her husband. Jace hopes that helping her will atone for a critical error he made years earlier. Neither e ...more
Published June 14th 2010 by Smashwords Edition (first published December 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Desperate Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desperate Hearts

Ridley
Jace Rankin may be short, but he’s nothing to mess with, as the man who was just hauled out of the saloon by the undertaker knows now. He’s a famous bounty hunter in Oregon in the 1890s who, when he shot the man in the saloon, just finished a years long quest to avenge his sister’s murder and is now trying to figure out what to do next. When the snotty-nosed farm boy he just rescued from a gang of bullies offers him money to kill a man who forced him off his ranch, he reluctantly agrees to bring ...more
Varied Books
Sep 15, 2016 marked it as on-kindle-to-read  ·  review of another edition
On sale for .99. The H is short ugh I like mine tall. Oh well for .99 I'll give this a try.
Kristiej
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really had forgotten how much I enjoy Alexis Harrington’s books. I think I last read them back in the 90’s so reading them again is like visiting beloved friends I haven’t seen in years but have very fond memories of. Because it was so long ago that I read them and I’ve read so many since then, the only thing I really remember is the feeling of comfort they give, not so much the story itself.
Desperate Hearts is the story of Jace Rankin. He was the bounty hunter from Homeward Hearts who relent
Mary B.
This book definitely had a crescendo type of flow. It was a very slow build, almost painfully slow. I considered putting this one down after getting about 1/3 of the way into it because it just felt like it was taking forever to get to any kind of point. I stuck with it, though, because I really like this author and I know she usually delivers. And she did. It turned out pretty good. And the rest of the book was very nice.

Alexis Harrinton definitely has a formula to her books for the build-up o
Robin
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jace Rankin is a bounty hunter with a reputation for getting his man. When a boy who is being bullied by a group of miners asks him to kill a man who forced him off his ranch, Jace agrees that he will bring the guy to justice but not kill him. But first he must make a detour to find a friend.

Kyla Springer has been riding the trails for the last month searching for Jace Rankin. Disguised as a boy, Kyla needs Jace to get revenge on the man who killer her husband and took her ranch. When a confront
Heather
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I picked this up to read, I didn't realize it was spin off to Alexis Harrington's "Homeward Hearts", which I read a few months ago. This has to be, thus far, my favorite book by Alexis Harrington. I absolutely adored Jace.
Kristi
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This might be one of my favorite from Alexis Harrington, though it seemed to be an intensely quick read. There's plenty of drama, but the characters also grow over the course of the story-- I love when that happens!
Eesh
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swoon, where are men like this our generation! I love Jace Rankin, what he lacks in size, he more than makes up for in personality! I will definitely read more of her books in the future!
Leeanna Campbell
EDITOR NEEDED!!!!

I'm usually not very picky when it comes to editing issues, but when they occur this much, it's a very big problem. How can an author use words like "vituperation", but fail to use basic prepositions and conjunctions? It was beyond frustrating to have to try and fill in the blanks. I enjoy Miss Harrington's books, but this was a really big stretch for me. I think I might stop reading her books __ I have __ read like ____ again.
Jacky Faber
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, series, western
This follows "Homeward Hearts" and picks up Jace Rankin's story. I don't know what it is, but something was missing in this novel. It took me a week to read which is very unusual for me. I couldn't get a handle on Kyla. Her personality was vague to me and the plot was too slow and didn't interest me. Race was a good character and he was the only thing that kept me interested in the book.

A much better novel about a dangerous journey in the West is " Texas Destiny" by Lorraine Heath, about Houston
  • The Stranger
  • The Outlaw (Willow Creek, #2)
  • Rachel and the Hired Gun (Men of Defiance, #1)
  • Her Hesitant Heart
  • Tame a Wild Heart (Tame, #1)
  • Romancing Olive (Prairie Romance, #1)
  • After All (Cassidy Men, #1)
  • Run Into the Wind
  • Rafe's Redemption
  • Reese (Rock Creek Six, #1)
  • A Wife for Big John
  • Hannah's Vow
  • The Gunslinger's Untamed Bride (Bride, #2)
  • Harder Than the Rest  (The MacLarens of Fire Mountain, #3)
  • Sullivan (Rock Creek Six, #2)
  • Sing My Name
  • Texas Twilight (McCutcheon Family, #2)
  • Diablo (Texans, #1)
I've been a self-employed working novelist for the past twenty years. Of all the books I've written I've had just one foreign sale, and that was THE IRISH BRIDE, which was translated into Norwegian, where I understand it was a big hit.

I also make jewelry and I'm a fine needlework artist, specializing in embroidery, thread crochet, and sewing. I love to cook, read, entertain friends, decorate, and
More about Alexis Harrington...